Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This isn't relate to much of anything but I was reading a bit of a book on movie villains and it went over this adaptation of Richard III from the 90s starring Ian McKellen. Anyway, it talks about how Richard's ludicrous deformities from the play are significantly dialed back because the modern world really isn't interested in that kind of "excessive melodrama."

My mind just instantly went to Tyrion. Whoever wrote that book was sure wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah but Richard III with tanks and fascist brits is loving awesome so it evens out.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
Ned is the Richardian interpretation of Richard III, Tyrion is the Shakespeare interrelation of him

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
asoiaf would be so much better as an animated rather than live action series lol

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Typo posted:

asoiaf would be so much better as an animated rather than live action series lol

neither would have a third act.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

neither would have a third act.

Not so long as Discovery continues to torch the HBO Max library.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Not so long as Discovery continues to torch the HBO Max library.

Oh itll be much worse than just HBO Max

https://twitter.com/MarlowNYC/status/1562815380418338818?s=20&t=9ZHaktHKckCpFclFf6n29w

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well Game of Thrones content must be safe because it courts the incestuous white people demographic.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

удар в шкурові кульки

NikkolasKing posted:

My mind just instantly went to Tyrion. Whoever wrote that book was sure wrong.

They dialed back his deformity in the tv show significantly. They got a handsome little person actor to play him. In the book dude is all kinds of hosed up - misshapen head, body weird enough to require a custom saddle, and to top that off he had his nose hacked off.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TERFherder posted:

They dialed back his deformity in the tv show significantly. They got a handsome little person actor to play him. In the book dude is all kinds of hosed up - misshapen head, body weird enough to require a custom saddle, and to top that off he had his nose hacked off.

True. I only read the book though and they were popular enough, even before GOT blew up.

i was trying to think of other popular characters in modern works where severe deformity is integral to who they are. The Phantom of the Opera is an obvious choice, he's also really hosed up in the book but gets prettied up a lot for the musical. (No idea about the classic film adaptations)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TERFherder posted:

Personally, I think it was a point in the show's favor to cast Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister. I actually rather liked the show leaning away from Tyrion's deformity and planting a flag in the idea that even the ugliest, most rejected and reviled Lannister was still an otherwise conventionally handsome as gently caress son of a bitch and it made Tywin and Cersei seem like even bigger vain prickwhistles that they considered him to somehow be an ugly monster.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

NikkolasKing posted:

True. I only read the book though and they were popular enough, even before GOT blew up.

i was trying to think of other popular characters in modern works where severe deformity is integral to who they are. The Phantom of the Opera is an obvious choice, he's also really hosed up in the book but gets prettied up a lot for the musical. (No idea about the classic film adaptations)

The Elephant Man
Mask

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The world needs a sexy Elephant man reboot obviously

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

nine-gear crow posted:

Personally, I think it was a point in the show's favor to cast Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister. I actually rather liked the show leaning away from Tyrion's deformity and planting a flag in the idea that even the ugliest, most rejected and reviled Lannister was still an otherwise conventionally handsome as gently caress son of a bitch and it made Tywin and Cersei seem like even bigger vain prickwhistles that they considered him to somehow be an ugly monster.

Yeah that was actually an interesting dichotomy in the show, which means it was likely an accident.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

удар в шкурові кульки

nine-gear crow posted:

That is a good point, and works for most of it. I think it works against him in a few places. His grossness makes his friendship with John a better indicator that John is a "good" person who judges people by more than their looks and House. It makes his whole "I won't sleep with you until you want me to" bit with Sansa stronger and also makes her repulsion a bit more understandable. When he gives his big "everyone hates me" speech at his trial, it came across as almost petulant compared to the books. It also makes Tywin's emotional reaction more understandable. I mean Tywin ain't an emotional guy. I think Tyrion need to be more than a short handsome son to really dig into Tywin that much. He did need to look hosed up - proof that it wasn't his child. That's why the misshapen skull, the eyes, the weird limbs were important to me. Also his white hair and purple eye made his targaryen heritage much clearer.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Good looking or not, he is a dwarf, so not good enough for the Lannisters self image. I think it make sense either way

And Sansa was disgusted by him because n=more because he was a Lannister than anything, irrc

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Typo posted:

I thought they did an amazing job visually on nearly every level. Only issues are in season 1 when they clearly managed things to avoid breaking the bank - like the Hand's Tourney being pitifully small and losing the grandeur it should have had.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Animated would be beneficial over live-action if it meant stuff like the kid characters not aging and you can actually insert some of the more wild elements like the canonical Iron Throne. I think Thrones could maybe be the breakthrough high-budget adult animation project to sell America on such an idea.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Pennsylvanian posted:

Animated would be beneficial over live-action if it meant stuff like the kid characters not aging and you can actually insert some of the more wild elements like the canonical Iron Throne. I think Thrones could maybe be the breakthrough high-budget adult animation project to sell America on such an idea.

It was 100x better having the kids be aged up honestly. And Ned and Robert make a lot more sense in their 40s and 50s than in their 30s, IMO.

Agreed on the Iron Throne. I dunno why they made that dinky little prop, it looks like poo poo. And now they're stuck with it.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

They were using a slightly bigger Iron Throne in this series, no? Seemed to me like it had a whole front section to it with steps and melted swords on the sides. Not that it was a huge difference, but it was marginally better.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

That's the impression I got too.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Mike N Eich posted:

It was 100x better having the kids be aged up honestly. And Ned and Robert make a lot more sense in their 40s and 50s than in their 30s, IMO.

Agreed on the Iron Throne. I dunno why they made that dinky little prop, it looks like poo poo. And now they're stuck with it.

I don't mean aging them up like they did with Dany being 18 instead of 13 or whatever, I mean stuff like the actors playing little Stark kids aging every year in real time between seasons. In Episode 1 alone, they had a problem with Sophie Turner shot up in height between the original shoot and the reshoots. And Bran looks wildly different between that two season break where we don't see him for a while. It just did some screwy things with the GoT show's timelines.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 27, 2022

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

lmbo the new show sucks rear end

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

all i thought about look at this was this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smB_-d1ZaMk

TERFherder posted:

That is a good point, and works for most of it. I think it works against him in a few places. His grossness makes his friendship with John a better indicator that John is a "good" person who judges people by more than their looks and House. It makes his whole "I won't sleep with you until you want me to" bit with Sansa stronger and also makes her repulsion a bit more understandable. When he gives his big "everyone hates me" speech at his trial, it came across as almost petulant compared to the books. It also makes Tywin's emotional reaction more understandable. I mean Tywin ain't an emotional guy. I think Tyrion need to be more than a short handsome son to really dig into Tywin that much. He did need to look hosed up - proof that it wasn't his child. That's why the misshapen skull, the eyes, the weird limbs were important to me. Also his white hair and purple eye made his targaryen heritage much clearer.

that also makes me annoyed that they never put in the plot line about tyrions first wife and jamie telling him the truth about it. instead it was the "gently caress orson scott card" scene, which i liked but i think tyrion kinda realizing fully that his dad never loved him ever works better. also the shae plotline in the show doesn't work as well since she clearly did love him in the show. either way, the whole crossbow scene still works well though.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 28, 2022

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I think dropping Tysha really nuked Tyrion's storyline in the show. After that they just didn't have him do anything interesting, either internally or externally. He just became Hand of the Queen

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

:omarcomin:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Happy Landfill posted:

I think dropping Tysha really nuked Tyrion's storyline in the show. After that they just didn't have him do anything interesting, either internally or externally. He just became Hand of the Queen

yeah, i think the whole dany plotline was always kinda weak and it was the first thing the go truly to poo poo when the show got awful.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Yup.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

kaworu posted:

They were using a slightly bigger Iron Throne in this series, no? Seemed to me like it had a whole front section to it with steps and melted swords on the sides. Not that it was a huge difference, but it was marginally better.
Yeah, it's fun, especially now that it's cutting the gently caress out of people on screen. Really shoulda had Robert get a booboo or two in season one, preferably while drunk.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah Robert would have massacred himself on that thing.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

kaworu posted:

book iron throne

tbf this would be way too expensive to make and not enough watchers would really appreciate it imo

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I don't know, the show went for spectacle a few times, but I really do wish they'd gone for the towering monstrosity of slowly rusting half-melted swords that thirst for the blood of pretenders to the throne. It's much more memorable and visually interesting, although I suppose it would make close-ups on actors sitting on it fairly tricky.

Arguably the fact that Aerys II kept slicing himself on it, to the extent that he was derisively called King Scab, shows that he was no longer fit to rule, but I think that he had been fairly capable before he lost his marbles after the Defiance of Duskendale?

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Typo posted:

book iron throne

tbf this would be way too expensive to make and not enough watchers would really appreciate it imo

I dunno, I think they could have probably pulled it off

This is slightly off-topic, but thinking about this particular illustration and how cool it would have been to see it faithfully reproduced made me think of what a spectacularly awesome and fantastic success that first Lord of the Rings trilogy of films directed by Peter Jackson was. And how to me, the biggest reason for that was that the entire visual look of Middle-Earth, the main characters, and all the key locations were pretty much all either inspired by (or direct reproductions) of illustrations made for the books by a guy named Alan Lee.

My first exposure to LotR was my father reading the entire trilogy to me over the course of a couple years when I was like 7-8. He bought a new copy of the books for me for this purpose, a massive hardcover tome of all the books and appendices, and glossy full-page reproductions of the Alan Lee illustrations interspersed throughout.

As a result of this, just about everything about the visual look of those first three LotR films just about perfectly matched what my mental image more or less was for those characters and that world, to an almost eerie and unconscious degree.

Im not really sure what Im getting at here, except to say that Im pretty sure they could have made the Iron Throne look like this if they really wanted to for this series - I think the main reason were stuck with the one we have is because Season 1 of GoT was legitimately kinda low-budget and they had to use a smaller one back then, but it became so deeply iconic they wouldnt think of changing it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Its just too funny that GRRM thinks he has any right to bemoan the show loving up his ending when he cant write it himself despite being only constrained by the written word and not a colossal multi continent television production.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Its just too funny that GRRM thinks he has any right to bemoan the show loving up his ending when he cant write it himself despite being only constrained by the written word and not a colossal multi continent television production.

Yeah, GRRM doesn't have an ending; he has an idea that has changed in the past, will change in the future, and isn't an ending until he writes it. He doesn't get to whine.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That throne is dumb, it would have been melted down the instant a new inbred heir took control cause its not comfortable enough.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The throne in that famous fanart is eye-rollingly grimdark.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Invalid Validation posted:

That throne is dumb, it would have been melted down the instant a new inbred heir took control cause its not comfortable enough.

Cant they put some pillows on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

Cant they put some pillows on it?

Thats potentially more dangerous. Just ask poor King Louis.