Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

McCracAttack posted:

Why does everyone say grocery store tomatoes taste awful? Sure they vary in quality but whenever I've had tomatoes from someone's garden they were just "good" tomatoes. Nothing life changing.

Maybe you just don't care much about tomatoes? That's the only explanation for "nothing life changing" that I can find. Grocery store tomatoes are selected on the basis of looking plump and bright right, and traveling well. Neither of these correlates with flavor, so grocery store tomatoes tend to be pretty watery, while garden tomatoes are going to have much better flavor and texture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Dr. Stab posted:

I assume you mean The Witcher 3 (And not an Xbox you got in 2007).

Since then, Microsoft has released 4 new consoles:

Xbox One S/Xbox One X. Updated versions of the Xbox One. The Xbox One S is smaller than the original, and the Xbox One X is more powerful and some games can run better. These can all play the same games as your Xbox One.

Xbox Series S/Xbox Series X. This is a new console. It is backwards compatible with all games you can play on the Xbox One, excluding games that require Kinect. It can also play newer games that are marked as exclusive to Series X|S. It is also split into a less expensive but slower and a more expensive but faster version.

ta muchly

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Growing up we grew like, romas in the garden and they were just OK, but heirlooms can be amazing--some are super savory, others taste like the smell of tomato leaves, some are very sweet, textures are better. Sometimes you just want a boring beefsteak but good tomatoes really are actually different and substantially better.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Organza Quiz posted:

Oh I'm using it as pasta sauce, it just seems like it would take a huge amount of pasta to use up the jar. Maybe I'm not putting a lot of pesto on by normal standards??

Hyperlynx posted:

I don't know, I use like a spoonful per serving, and there's like six or seven such spoonfuls to a jar.

Tiggum's jars are tiny, they're cooking for an army, or they REALLY like pesto.
One jar of pesto (190g) to one pack of pasta (500g) seems to work for me. :shrug:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I think you're going the wrong way on Shapiro. Get him up against a Nazi with no dogwhistles and force him into a reasonable position or overtly advocating genocide. I propose Varg Vikernes.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

McCracAttack posted:

Why does everyone say grocery store tomatoes taste awful? Sure they vary in quality but whenever I've had tomatoes from someone's garden they were just "good" tomatoes. Nothing life changing.

grocery store tomato can be fine, but they're never amazing. Local/seasonal tomatoes can be exquisite in a ton of unique ways, to the point that you just want to eat them like apples with nothing else whatsoever.

The great local tomatoes generally are far too fragile to travel and much too sweet to last long in a store - which is why you'll only find them at farmers markets or in backyards. Backyard tomatoes though aren't always great though and I've grown my fair share of mediocre ones - it depends on the season, gardener, and variety.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

socketwrencher posted:

I'm looking for someone smart who can think on their feet, doesn't get rattled, has solid debate and critical reasoning skills, and connects with an audience.

AOC is probably the closest. Beto has begun putting his hand up too. Mayor Pete has been quietly putting on a decent show in viper dens like fox news for a while.

In terms of journalists, it's hard, because we don't necessarily want them to be the fire breathers. But Medhi Hassan has pushed back pretty well a few times.

Destiny made a point of doing it on twitch streams, but unfortunately turned out to be a jackass.

Jordan from the Daily Show definitely has the chops. Jon Stewart was arguably the prototype, when he went on Crossfire.

Someone like Robert Evans could be good, but would probably just end up throwing bagels at them.

But as has been said, "debating facts" can only work if both sides are acting in good faith, which they are not. So a better candidate is probably an athlete or pro-wrestler who posts in all caps about "FASCISTS ARE loving PATHETIC PUSSIES, I LIKE TO HELP MARGINALISED COMMUNITIES COS IT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO YOU DUMBASS, OF COURSE WE NEED UNIVERSAL HEALTH AND EDUCATION, WHY ARE YOU STILL CHOKING ON CAPITALISMS DICK"

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

McCracAttack posted:

I've heard from my US friends that this is an American thing. Like US supermarkets usually had bland tasteless large tomatoes and you'd need to go to farmer's markets to get decent tomatoes. But they told me that the tomatoes in Europe tend to be good everywhere. This was a while ago so maybe that has changed or maybe that's only in some parts of the US?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

lobsterminator posted:

I've heard from my US friends that this is an American thing. Like US supermarkets usually had bland tasteless large tomatoes and you'd need to go to farmer's markets to get decent tomatoes. But they told me that the tomatoes in Europe tend to be good everywhere. This was a while ago so maybe that has changed or maybe that's only in some parts of the US?

That depends on where you are and what you consider good.
In the Netherlands, all locally grown tomatoes are just bursting with water. It doesn't matter if you get them from a supermarket or a real greengrocer. It's because tomatoes here are grown in greenhouses, with tons of unnatural heating, light and irrigation.
If you get locally grown tomatoes from Italy or Spain, where they can actually be grown in natural circumstances (ie outside), the tomatoes are much better. They have such a rich flavor compared to the watery things we get here.

So the tomatoes grown in a way that's more sustainable (we use tons of natural gas to heat the greenhouses, and the sky in entire regions is permanently orange with light pollution) are better from a culinary perspective too. It's just decades of lobbying by farmers that has messed up the entire fruit and veg economy of Europe.

But who knows, maybe American supermarket tomatoes are even worse than the mostly flavorless Dutch tomatoes

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I find tomato quality varies a lot in Northern Europe. Guiding rule is to give them a sniff to check if they have that tomato stank. The tasteless mealy watery ones don't.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

BonHair posted:

I think you're going the wrong way on Shapiro. Get him up against a Nazi with no dogwhistles and force him into a reasonable position or overtly advocating genocide. I propose Varg Vikernes.

:hmmyes: you know, you might be on to something here.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Maybe you just don't care much about tomatoes? That's the only explanation for "nothing life changing" that I can find.

I’d definitely say the people gushing over tomatoes like tomatoes a lot more than I do. They also tend to talk about it a lot during tomato season. So a bit of amplification going on.

I guess if I could only get good beer one month of the year, I would not shut up about it during that month.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
The #1 way to make sure tomatoes taste good is to keep them out of the refrigerator. Pretty much everything in the grocery store was shipped in a refrigerated trailer, which really tamps down and washes out the flavor. Fresh tomatoes that have never been refrigerated are much, much better. You don’t even have to chill them after cutting - you can wrap in plastic wrap and leave it on the countertop until your next sandwich and they’ll still be really good. My wife and I have grown probably 30+ different tomato varieties the last couple of years and there’s an awesome range of flavors, colors, sizes, etc.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

socketwrencher posted:

I'm surprised that there's not more (any lol) enthusiasm for Shapiro and X Live on college campuses.

There's not more enthusiasm for Shapiro because he's a weird goblin fascist. He thinks women being wet is a medical condition (probably because he can't please his wife), he brags about not banging his wife in college, is antiabortion, is racist, homophobic, and so many more things that college students (the proposed audience) definitely do not think is cool. His core audience is incel fascists and old white men who talk about taking over the government on TikTok.

Here's another fascist being unpopular among college students at two different campuses:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOHydX1XlkI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5oxl2THu_k

This is how they should be treated. They should not be "debated" and "debate" is not what people like Shapiro do.

I wouldn't recommend that anyone post in Debate and Discussion on SA. It's completely stupid.

Hyperlynx posted:

:hmmyes: you know, you might be on to something here.

It won't work. Here's Shapiro rage quitting at light pushback from a right wing tv host:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VixqvOcK8E&t=878s

The Sean fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 29, 2022

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

The Sean posted:

There's not more enthusiasm for Shapiro because he's a weird goblin fascist. He thinks women being wet is a medical condition (probably because he can't please his wife), he brags about not banging his wife in college, is antiabortion, is racist, homophobic, and so many more things that college students (the proposed audience) definitely do not think is cool. His core audience is incel fascists and old white men who talk about taking over the government on TikTok.

Here's another fascist being unpopular among college students at two different campuses:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOHydX1XlkI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5oxl2THu_k

This is how they should be treated. They should not be "debated" and "debate" is not what people like Shapiro do.

I wouldn't recommend that anyone post in Debate and Discussion on SA. It's completely stupid.

It won't work. Here's Shapiro rage quitting at light pushback from a right wing tv host:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VixqvOcK8E&t=878s

Lol I always love watching this

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The interviewer in that clip is Andrew Neil. He’s a conservative rear end in a top hat but he’s also legendary for picking apart politicians of any stripe no matter how prepared they are. Walking in to an interview with him without even doing some research is very bad news.
Point being there aren’t many interviewers who can do this. The slow burn building up to the hard questions is hilarious.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Dr. Stab posted:

No, that seems like it'd be really tedious and wouldn't change anyone's mind. It's not even that good of a gotcha. If you insisted, he'd say some answer then go on with whatever point he actually wants to make. You're not going to pin him down into a socratic dialogue if he doesn't want to do that (which he doesn't, because he's engaging in bad faith).

Human Tornada posted:

What is the answer you're expecting out of Shapiro here and what effect do you think it would have on an audience?

The question isn't meant to be a gotcha. It's to compel him to expose his views live and in person. The effect would be to give people a better understanding of who he is and what he stands for. What they do with that is up to them.

One of his strengths is his preparation. But watch him caught off-guard here at 29:32:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eviv6Iq3jnc

Bucky Fullminster posted:

AOC is probably the closest. Beto has begun putting his hand up too. Mayor Pete has been quietly putting on a decent show in viper dens like fox news for a while.

In terms of journalists, it's hard, because we don't necessarily want them to be the fire breathers. But Medhi Hassan has pushed back pretty well a few times.

Destiny made a point of doing it on twitch streams, but unfortunately turned out to be a jackass.

Jordan from the Daily Show definitely has the chops. Jon Stewart was arguably the prototype, when he went on Crossfire.

Someone like Robert Evans could be good, but would probably just end up throwing bagels at them.

But as has been said, "debating facts" can only work if both sides are acting in good faith, which they are not. So a better candidate is probably an athlete or pro-wrestler who posts in all caps about "FASCISTS ARE loving PATHETIC PUSSIES, I LIKE TO HELP MARGINALISED COMMUNITIES COS IT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO YOU DUMBASS, OF COURSE WE NEED UNIVERSAL HEALTH AND EDUCATION, WHY ARE YOU STILL CHOKING ON CAPITALISMS DICK"

Good suggestions, Cheers. AOC was who initially came to mind, the contrast between the two would be astonishing. Jordan is interesting because he comes across well; I've seen his field interviews but don't know anything else about him. Some of the others seem a bit old for this- not that they might not be great, but the age differential changes the dynamic.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

socketwrencher posted:

The question isn't meant to be a gotcha. It's to compel him to expose his views live and in person. The effect would be to give people a better understanding of who he is and what he stands for. What they do with that is up to them.

You think there are people out there who know about Shapiro and don't know who he is and what he stands for?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
What's a good file transfer service for large video files? I've been trying to get a ~22GB video file to a friend but Google Drive keeps failing on the upload.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

An sd card in the post

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Flipperwaldt posted:

An sd card in the post

Andrew Tanenbaum posted:

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mister Speaker posted:

What's a good file transfer service for large video files? I've been trying to get a ~22GB video file to a friend but Google Drive keeps failing on the upload.

Mega is pretty good for that sort of thing, though you might need to spend a few bucks to upgrade from the free tier to an account with enough space and data transfer.

Alternately, you could split the file up into chunks a few gigs in size (there are plenty of free utilities to do this), send those one at a time by Google Drive or other conventional means, and have the recipient put them back together at the other end with a similar utility.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Something peer to peer that has checksums and can resume, like probably syncthing is also something you could look at.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

socketwrencher posted:

Anyone who knows who Ben Shapiro is already knows what he's about, and anyone who doesn't isn't going to go watch him "debate" in the first place. Paying him to tour college auditoriums just to get him to "expose his views live and in person" is pointless at best. He's not at all shy about who he is and what he stands for, he's based his entire career on it.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I'm begging to feel that this may not be a "small" question, re: shapiro. stupid, maybe, but not small.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

It's a tale as old as the forums.

OP: "I have an idea."

100 replies: "That's a bad idea that would never work. You don't seem to understand the situation."

OP: "I still think this idea will work."

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Re: tomatoes: one issue with most fruit is that it's a lot harder to ship when properly ripe, meaning it will get picked slightly (or not so slightly) unripe and will only become ripe a long time after leaving the plant, which you can probably guess affects taste negatively. If you get some good fully ripe tomatoes, they're probably better than the same sort grown far away. Incidentally, this is also a reason canned tomatoes may be better for sauces: they are actually ripe when picked, because canning can be done right after harvest.
It's especially evident with exotic fruits like bananas and mangos though.

Anyway, who has the goon in a hole story handy?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

What's the best kind of tomato for throwing at Ben Shapiro?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hyperlynx posted:

Rotten.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Fresh and rotten, we have to consider both sides.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Fresh you want green tomatoes. They'll be harder.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

Pineapple minus the pin

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Stravag posted:

Pineapple minus the pin

what the gently caress is an eapple?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

FCKGW posted:

what the gently caress is an eapple?

One of these

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Sean posted:

I'm begging to feel that this may not be a "small" question, re: shapiro. stupid, maybe, but not small.

Ben Shapiro is absolutely both.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Slimy Hog posted:

You think there are people out there who know about Shapiro and don't know who he is and what he stands for?

I do, similar to how people superficially know what's going on in Ukraine.

Human Tornada posted:

Anyone who knows who Ben Shapiro is already knows what he's about, and anyone who doesn't isn't going to go watch him "debate" in the first place. Paying him to tour college auditoriums just to get him to "expose his views live and in person" is pointless at best. He's not at all shy about who he is and what he stands for, he's based his entire career on it.

AOC vs Shapiro Live

Yeah, I think people would go watch them debate, and a lot more people, including kids younger than college age, would watch the vids, and that someone smart could put him into uncomfortable positions.

McCracAttack posted:

It's a tale as old as the forums.

OP: "I have an idea."

100 replies: "That's a bad idea that would never work. You don't seem to understand the situation."

OP: "I still think this idea will work."

I think it's more that I'm wondering if this idea will work. Shapiro is a variable, and the equation that he's a part of seems pretty hosed up. I'm wondering how to tweak the power of certain variables.

Also, I'd say that people around college age and younger are more open-minded and impressionable than some of the comments here might indicate.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
ughhh can you just shut up

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

socketwrencher posted:

I do, similar to how people superficially know what's going on in Ukraine

oh do go on sir

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

kalel posted:

oh do go on sir

No, seriously please do not. Just take this conversation elsewhere instead. I'm sorry for adding something for him to respond to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So when youtubers are making videos that stress how they spend x amount of money to do this thing and how painful it is and they're doing it just for their viewers... can they then write x off on their taxes? Like someone did a video about spending 20k on youtube ads, can they then write that off as a business expense? Or what about that mr beast guy whose entire schtick is buying expensive stuff and giving it away? Can he write off the island he recently gave away as a business expense for his youtube career?