Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I keep getting Doron Dororon confused with Dandadan, as someone who has not read either series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
You should read Dandadan imo.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dandadan is great

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Last Celebration posted:

You should read Dandadan imo.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Manatee Cannon posted:

dandadan is great

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akane-banashi: drat poo poo's really tense.

I like how Arakawa's response to Akane about the applause has a slight mirror to how the tournament itself played out - Karashi's adamant throughout Akane's act that his act had the bigger applause, but the readers don't really buy the argument that more applause = better performer. Arakawa turns that on its head by applying a similar logic to Shinta in response to Akane's protests about her father's skills.

Also, I don't really think Arakawa has actually given a proper response, unless "Guy showed a single moment of weakness and it was at that moment that I decided gently caress him" is his reason. Especially since Shinta wasn't even the only one expelled that day - everyone was. The conversation's not over yet, so I'm lookin' forward to seeing what revelations spring up next week!

Elusive Samurai: The manga bringing up the Hojo shogunate's dark side is interesting because we keep on hearing the cast talk about how the rightful Hojo rule should be restored and so forth, but the very first thing we see of the shogunate is Tokiyuki's braindead dad as a puppet ruler with no drive or motivation, just leaving his power in the hands of his advisers and poo poo. So it's really unclear how good the Hojo shogunate actually was. More of a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kinda approach, maybe? I guess it also beats having a dude like the Kokushi in charge. But also it's probably cause the manga takes place in a pro-Hojo region.

Mashle: Lore.

Roboco and Me: Really fun chapter, with the expected heartwarming scene into the twist of Roboco's photobooks including the future as well. I also fuckin' love the small explanations for all the photos, especially "Roboco escaped. We couldn't stop her." and "The laboratory was destroyed. Roboco is no longer a being that humanity can control." Who the gently caress was taking those pictures and writin' in the diary????

Sakamoto Days: Excitin' stuff happening, interested in the backstory and learnin' more about the Order (and the ex-Order). That cafeteria dude yelling a death threat at Sakamoto with a service smile on his face is a nice small gag too.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Doron Dororon did a good enough job of doing a final arc where the author put all their ideas in and still made it cohere well, but I can't say I'd recommend reading it now. I liked it, it had heart, but it was absolutely one of those manga you read because it's in the magazine with the other manga you're reading rather than something you'd go out of your way for, at least in my eyes.

Very much this. Doron was serviceable and managed an ok ending.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Earthchild is confirmed to end next issue. loving finally.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The end of an era. We are all diminished by such an unimaginable and tragic loss.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Truely, we will never forget the legend of the dog-faced comic.

On a more constructive note, started reading Gash Bell and I was pleasently reminded of what a good japanese comic looked like.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ConanThe3rd posted:

On a more constructive note, started reading Gash Bell and I was pleasently reminded of what a good japanese comic looked like.

It's so good, and has a great sense of humor as well.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I crack-up any time someone is running. Raiku's face game is amazing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ConanThe3rd posted:

I crack-up any time someone is running. Raiku's face game is amazing.

Yeah, Raiku's faces and visual humor in general are the best. I was amazed at how well everything holds up when re-reading parts of it recently.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ruflux posted:

Earthchild is confirmed to end next issue. loving finally.

Shounen jump has no idea what it’s doing confirmed.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004
Skeleton Manga continues to be pretty decent!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Weed Wolf posted:

Skeleton Manga continues to be pretty decent!

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013572

Yeah, I'm okay with this development and style of battles.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Skeleton manga is pretty good, but it's no Earth Child....smh

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Skeleton manga is pretty good, but it's no Earth Child....smh
Nothing will ever fix the Earthchild sized lump in my chest.

Also, this is a rich Thursday for manga readers!

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Earthchild as a never-ending series perpetually taking up space in Jump would be the greatest thing. Sad to see that pile go. Would love to find out how it got serialized in the first place.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Earthchild as a never-ending series perpetually taking up space in Jump would be the greatest thing. Sad to see that pile go. Would love to find out how it got serialized in the first place.

The first chapter was popular, and the editor was terrible.

Joe Desperado
Mar 11, 2008
Earthchild may be ending but I think we all know what that means... Earthchild 2 baybeeee

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Earthteen

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Joe Desperado posted:

Earthchild may be ending but I think we all know what that means... Earthchild 2 baybeeee

BIRTHCHILD.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I want an extra chapter of Akane-banashi every week in its place and now you do too

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Joe Desperado posted:

Marschild

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The Geek Ghostbuster manga is fun so far.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Electric Phantasm posted:

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013572

Yeah, I'm okay with this development and style of battles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU513suJZzY

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Was about to post it myself: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/titles/100204

The premise is dumb as hell and I love it, and the art is very good as well.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Joe Desperado posted:

Looking forward to Moonchild, serialized in Jump from February 2023 onwards

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Finsihed the Fadou Arc of Gash. How did this comic about friend-shaped demon kids turn into some Gurren Lagann level, table breaking, amazing bit of sequental art?!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Zeon's such a straightforward shonen villain but he's so good.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm sure it was as out his own rear end as any other given Shonen author but Raiku just seems to project an air of knowing what he's playing at.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm sure it was as out his own rear end as any other given Shonen author but Raiku just seems to project an air of knowing what he's playing at.

I know at least a few shonen authors have made long term plans that they carried through, especially in shorter runs. For example, Tatsuki Fujimoto explained the names of some of his characters in a way that confirmed he knew how things would end with them from the start.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Yeah! I always like having more female-MC shounen manga and both of the main characters are pretty fun and great. My only real complaint was that the Gacha Chapter 2 was a little too permissive about the extremely hosed up ways that mobile games prey on people's psychology.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ConanThe3rd posted:

Finsihed the Fadou Arc of Gash. How did this comic about friend-shaped demon kids turn into some Gurren Lagann level, table breaking, amazing bit of sequental art?!

Definitely one of my favorite arcs in the genre.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Finished Gash Bell. What a good little comic.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I know a lot of people weren’t too warm on it, but I liked the Gash Bell mangaka’s other work Animal Land quite a lot.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's certainly a different beast, from what I can remember of it.

donotpost
Jul 28, 2022
It was good until the timeskip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Another week and Akane Banashi still owns

You can totally understand where Arakawa is coming from and why he believes only the best of the best are needed to keep Rakugo alive, even if it means expelling an entire class. And Akane doesn’t really dismiss that, but she’s going to make him admit that cutting her father’s style was wrong. And now the two rivals from the competition are going into Rakugo schools of their own. Really interesting if they bring their modern take/voice acting specialities and combine it with Rakugo to compete with Akane’s traditional method she’s developing.