Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Scholtz posted:

Nah, Dragon may be doing good things for the world but that's only like 99% of a good excuse. Meanwhile, Yasopp has a literal disease where he will die if he meets his son.

Is that actually true? I haven't caught up, last I read X Drake wanted to join the Straw Hats for the fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FireWorksWell posted:

Is that actually true? I haven't caught up, last I read X Drake wanted to join the Straw Hats for the fight

It's a joke based on a lie Yasopp tells in a recent chapter.

Arist fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 31, 2022

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Arist posted:

It's a joke based on a lie Yasopp tells in a recent chapter.

Well, that convinced me to catch up again

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rigged Death Trap posted:

He sword good
He could maybe sword the best

He sword broken after YWACH go hand wave.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

He sword broken after YWACH go hand wave.

That's probably the most lasting impact BLEACH left me with. 2 double page spreads with no background that's just the same Ichigo drawing, first holding a sword and then holding a broken sword. Very funny that a couple chapters later the manga would have an official end date and suddenly every page was packed with as much story as possible.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MorningMoon posted:

That's probably the most lasting impact BLEACH left me with. 2 double page spreads with no background that's just the same Ichigo drawing, first holding a sword and then holding a broken sword. Very funny that a couple chapters later the manga would have an official end date and suddenly every page was packed with as much story as possible.

I remember holding a contest to see how long the manga would go on for.

Everyone's prediction was off because nobody expected it to end the way it did.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
The new Bleach anime hasn't started yet but it's funny that more people are talking about One Piece and a manga that ended 6 years ago more often than Boruto.

I think MHA is going to end up with a legacy like Yu Yu Hakusho where it was one of the best manga until the author burnt out early

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mha is more like naruto than it is yyh

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tampa Bae posted:

The new Bleach anime hasn't started yet but it's funny that more people are talking about One Piece and a manga that ended 6 years ago more often than Boruto.

I think MHA is going to end up with a legacy like Yu Yu Hakusho where it was one of the best manga until the author burnt out early

I dont think so

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

kids like mha but it doesn't have nearly the impact of Naruto/Boruto where I see them (and younger adults) with sweatshirts and hoodies and things with Boruto and sarada on them

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

kids like mha but it doesn't have nearly the impact of Naruto/Boruto where I see them (and younger adults) with sweatshirts and hoodies and things with Boruto and sarada on them

This is all anecdotally, but around where I live, I've seen more people with MHA and Demon Slayer shirts than Naruto ones. I'm not sure I've ever seen a Boruto shirt.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I work in an elementary school and it's a pretty even split of Naruto (not Boruto, just his dad) and MHA stuff with the odd Demon Slayer thing.

Kids really like Todoroki.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I saw a SLURRRRPP sticker on a hydro flask once. That made my day.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

So I just read MHA for the first time in the last couple days. I had basically completely ignored it over its entire existence except for an early attempt at a read in like 2018 that I aborted after forty or fifty chapters for some reason or another. I skimmed through the last 10 pages or so of the thread to see what the current discussion was centered on and found it funny that we're just talking about the shonen death rattle phenomenon that seems to happen with all the long-runners.

My thoughts on MHA: pretty much bog standard 5.5-6/10 shonen. A lot of good ideas, particularly at the beginning, and a few instances of nice foreshadowing throughout, but absolutely nothing - nothing at all - to distinguish it within the genre. It rapidly became clear that Horikoshi's idea of a story is "there is this event and villains do bad things and the heroes stop them and then this other event happens or Deku runs into the enemy on the street when the villains go for a walk" etc etc. One of my favorite aspects is that, while there's obvious shonen power creep going on, it's fairly tame compared to what it could be and the damage characters suffer actually sticks. Throughout the manga we see characters crippled, diminished and broken and after a certain point, there are fairly few regeneration hacks and "but actually I'm fine" gotchas in moments that actually matter until now. I like that Horikoshi also sidestepped the perennial trope of the master passing his power on and then dying and has kept All Might long after he becomes powerless.

The characters that are strong in the beginning are strong throughout and don't just get helplessly outclassed for the most part either - thinking of Endeavor, Best Jeanist, etc who have remained relevant right up into the final battle. It's all pretty readable and inoffensive, and there are a few panels of Dabi and Shigaraki throughout that are top tier, so yeah, MHA is a pretty solid shonen, but it's already well into its quality death throes at this point. While the secondary cast gets a lot of attention, I wish Horikoshi would have slimmed it down a little to develop the other characters a bit more, and maybe stretched out the narrative a little more. Deku has had OFA for like a year? It seems so rushed and I get that it's kind of the point because the villains put everything into motion when they see All Might has lost his power, but I feel like it could have been plotted way tighter.

Another thing, this Goku is late bullshit being played in the final battle to scrape the bottom of the barrel for some narrative tension is really unforgivable. How far away did they send everyone? During All Might's last confrontation with AFO, he crosses 5km in 30 seconds or something, and this with the very dregs of his power. By now Deku can surely use more of OFA than All Might at that point and is further enhanced by some of his predecessors' quirks, making this extended absence pretty inexcusable and pointless anyway.

Unless some major curveballs get thrown our way, it's clearly time to wrap the manga up and call it a day. It's way better than Bleach and Naruto at their very endings but it's coming apart pretty quickly. Hopefully it can stick the landing a little better.

The Bee posted:

Most likely, yeah.

Is it a hot take to say I feel like the format of shonen manga really doesn't feel like it's geared towards the strengths of shonen manga? Because I'm honestly starting to feel that way after seeing how many manga just crumble under the weight of perpetual escalation and retcons / dropped plot points out of nowhere.

I agree with this post (and a lot of Endorph's effort post immediately after that I don't want to stretch the page by quoting). At this point, I don't think shonen fantasy manga can do anything other than succumb to power creep as the years go on. It happens so incrementally as a result of needing to keep some level of tension between publications and in the greater narrative at the same time.

I guess it's (very reasonably) unfeasible to plan out a 450 chapter monstrosity that you'll be writing over the course of ten years or whatever and it just inevitably leads to this, but it begs the question if it wouldn't be better to stick to tighter plots like we find in Chainsaw Man, or even just a more reasonable overall length like Shingeki no Kyojin or Yu Yu Hakusho (besides the problems both of those series had with their endings). I mean, a lot of shorter manga become equally nonsensical, like either part of Tokyo Ghoul went to pieces near the conclusion, but it seems almost inevitable after a certain length.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
As much as I'd liked to have seen more of Koichi and friends, it does make me glad MHA Vigiliantes came to a close before it could also drag on too long.

That sort of shonen bloat/power creep even infects series that weren't solely or even primarily fighting series to begin with (looking at you, Beastars).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I think whatever happened with Beastars wasn’t because of genre conventions so much as the author’s fatigue with the series combined with her “unique” approach to plotting stuff out

maybe it’s the update schedule that’s the real problem, these authors get so tired from the grind that they default to the old yell-and-punch. it has to be hard enough keeping your numbers up when you’re drawing a minimum 18 hours a day every day

though again, Beastars was a weird one. not so much yelling and punching as whatever gonzo idea popped into itagaki’s head with no concern for what came before or after

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 31, 2022

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Eyeshield 21 and Dr. Stone remain two of the best shonen manga I've ever read. I'm really looking forward to Inagaki's next series (Trillion Game is decent but isn't really doing it for me).

I think a lot of mangaka could really benefit from partnering with a writer.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 31, 2022

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

I think whatever happened with Beastars wasn’t because of genre conventions so much as the author’s fatigue with the series combined with her “unique” approach to plotting stuff out

maybe it’s the update schedule that’s the real problem, these authors get so tired from the grind that they default to the old yell-and-punch. it has to be hard enough keeping your numbers up when you’re drawing a minimum 18 hours a day every day

though again, Beastars was a weird one. not so much yelling and punching as whatever gonzo idea popped into itagaki’s head with no concern for what came before or after

My guess is that up through Riz was a lot more outlined out before she started, and after that was more improvised, which worked a lot better for all the short stuff pre-melon than trying to do a long arc. I do kind of blame genre conventions on the idea that the series being labeled shonen and having fight arcs probably made it easier to default to "train more to fight bigger bad guy."

Maybe taking a long break after Riz or changing to monthly or bi-weekyl would have helped because I'm sure it's hard to take a step back and thing about the story as a whole when you have to churn out a chapter every week. The post-Beastars Beast Complex chapters were good but the Beastars ending soured me so much on the setting/characters to really care much anymore.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's honestly kind of amazing that anything decent ever comes out of forcing someone to be a combination writer and artist on a weekly turnaround. The whole editor dynamic seems fraught with issues too. Like, by the time they could get meaningful advice from the editor (which in itself seems hit or miss), major changes aren't feasible because of the nature of deadlines.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Oxxidation posted:

Just like her old man

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Shere posted:

It's honestly kind of amazing that anything decent ever comes out of forcing someone to be a combination writer and artist on a weekly turnaround. The whole editor dynamic seems fraught with issues too. Like, by the time they could get meaningful advice from the editor (which in itself seems hit or miss), major changes aren't feasible because of the nature of deadlines.

I have no idea how Oda is still hanging on and producing as good as he is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its easy to forget that the amount of effort and hard work it takes to keep even a mediocre shonen manga running for years is intense. like mha is weekly. id spin my wheels and rush plot developments too if i had to crank out one of these suckers a week. 'oh god i do NOT want to draw the panel of deku coming back, itd have to be the coolest poo poo ever, lets just have everyone stall a bit longer and i can do it next week'

like this stuffs a job. its not a job someoned pick if they didnt have any kind of passion for it, but its still a job.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also horikoshi was 27 when this series started and hes 35 now. even with its run not being nearly as long as naruto's, i imagine the guy felt way more capable of keeping up with this schedule before he started rounding the bend to the big four-o.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Horikoshi has talked about his hair falling out and poo poo in the author's notes. Regardless of however MHA ends, he should take a long vacation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

I have no idea how Oda is still hanging on and producing as good as he is.
even oda's made some concessions, really. oda always had a cartoony streak, but his designs started getting way more exaggerated towards the back half of the first part - compare moriah's design to lucci or crocodile - and it got even moreso after the timeskip. the reason for this is pretty clear if you look at his modern art, theres way more zoomed out shots or big closeups where characters take up the entire panels. the alabasta arc especially had a lot more detailed background shots or more complex, intricate movements between characters in a way you never really get in modern one piece.

odas still a great artist but hes definitely shifted his aesthetic in a way thats easier to work with on a weekly basis, especially with the complexity of the plot requiring more characters onscreen at once.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I don't think Oda's done backgrounds in a while (I'm pretty sure in a relatively early SBS he said he does pretty much everything but bgs) so I'm not sure if that's strictly an Oda thing.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

He does everything that "moves" in a scene, I think it was.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Eyeshield 21 and Dr. Stone remain two of the best shonen manga I've ever read. I'm really looking forward to Inagaki's next series (Trillion Game is decent but isn't really doing it for me).

Eyeshield also makes a strong case for letting a writer end the series when they want rather than trying to stretch it. Having a stupid all-star game after the logical endpoint was stupid. Having Deku and pals just kind of run in place for months so that they get another year of chapters has been stupid. I feel like nothing between, like, Deku leaving the school and Aoyama being exposed has been at all relevant to anything.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Dr. Stone's ending isn't very good imo but the ride was great either way

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Fabricated posted:

Did you read the follow-up issue that came out a few months later? It gave it a much more rounded ending.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Neo_Crimson posted:

Horikoshi has talked about his hair falling out and poo poo in the author's notes. Regardless of however MHA ends, he should take a long vacation.

Those incredibly unfinished chapters should have been an indication the dude needed a few months vacation for his health.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
This thread has stopped complaining about MHA and is now trading knowing glances over the manga industry.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah this is the first instance of it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Manga, am I right?:grin:

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Fittingly, we've recently gotten news about the next MHA chapter only being 11 pages.

I know it's not the first time this has come up in this thread.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Dr. Stone’s ending was coherent and reasonable even if it rushed to the finish line quicker than it should have.

That puts it above so very, very many series

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Prowler posted:

Did you read the follow-up issue that came out a few months later? It gave it a much more rounded ending.

Oh wow, I didn't know there was one, I'll have to seek it out. I really liked Dr. Stone.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

Oh wow, I didn't know there was one, I'll have to seek it out. I really liked Dr. Stone.

Thread should have it on the last page

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

On the topic of shounen tropes and Naruto, one genuinely unusual thing in that series is the fact that the protagonist's love interest - who remains his love interest for most of the series - is never genuinely interested in him and ends up with his rival. And then the protagonist ends up with a member of the supporting cast with a pretty limited role in the story.

I didn't realize it at the time, but in hindsight that's actually extremely uncommon. I don't know if I can think if any similar examples. I think it's mostly a result of Naruto just not having romance as a significant element, but most series either ignore it entirely (like in Jujutsu Kaisen) or go the standard "there's an obvious love interest who obviously reciprocates the protagonists feelings" route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Delphisage posted:

Fittingly, we've recently gotten news about the next MHA chapter only being 11 pages.

I know it's not the first time this has come up in this thread.

This uh, is incorrect if other legit sources are to be believed.

This guy posts joke tweets about leaks to get reactions.