Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

socketwrencher posted:

I think it's more that I'm wondering if this idea will work.

If you were wondering you might've considered at some point that it wouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

So when youtubers are making videos that stress how they spend x amount of money to do this thing and how painful it is and they're doing it just for their viewers... can they then write x off on their taxes? Like someone did a video about spending 20k on youtube ads, can they then write that off as a business expense? Or what about that mr beast guy whose entire schtick is buying expensive stuff and giving it away? Can he write off the island he recently gave away as a business expense for his youtube career?

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice: if it's a legit business expense, then you can write it off, sure. "legit" pretty much means that you're confident it'd stand up to an IRS audit. If you can say "look, I do these giveaways, they attract viewers, I show the viewers ads, and most of the time this works out in my favor" then they'll probably be on your side. But if the numbers are just wildly off (e.g. you do incredibly expensive giveaways and can't demonstrate that you're getting anywhere near enough ad revenue for this to be a plausible business model) then the IRS will probably take a dim view of the whole arrangement.

Note that writing it off doesn't mean you get the money back, just that it reduces your tax burden. So if you have an income of $100k/year and expenses of $20k, then your actual income for tax purposes is only $80k. If your income is $10k and your expenses are $20k, then your actual income for tax purposes is $0.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

socketwrencher posted:

I do, similar to how people superficially know what's going on in Ukraine.

AOC vs Shapiro Live

Yeah, I think people would go watch them debate, and a lot more people, including kids younger than college age, would watch the vids, and that someone smart could put him into uncomfortable positions.

I think it's more that I'm wondering if this idea will work. Shapiro is a variable, and the equation that he's a part of seems pretty hosed up. I'm wondering how to tweak the power of certain variables.

Also, I'd say that people around college age and younger are more open-minded and impressionable than some of the comments here might indicate.

Lol at thinking young people watch long-form interviews on YouTube. At best it’s a 30 second clip, something which already exists in abundance for the people you are mentioning. Like, this would be algorithmically directed at people in SA’s demographic, skewed heavily towards those who have already have a history of watching right-wing content and have an innate distrust of media.

E: for a more serious answer, take a look at what already existing de-radicalization centers are doing, they have a good deal of experience with what works and what doesn’t. It’s also worth looking up testimonials by those who have been de-radicalized.

The main jist of those sources is that young people are mostly concerned with developing their own identity as part of a group and they adopt it passionately and uncritically, mostly just glad to be a part of something. They adopt beliefs to feel welcome, validated and fit in with a group. Those attracted to extreme beliefs often already feel marginalized for one reason or another, and interestingly they tend to flip from extreme leftist positions to extreme right wing positions and vice versa.

Reasoned discussion and debate has a poor record with “converting” young people. One of the most effective methods is to spend time listening to them, their feelings and concerns.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 30, 2022

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

The news is always talking about a governor or president declaring a disaster and how it frees up resources to help deal with the situation. But I've never heard about what exactly gets freed up. What kind of resources actually come into play when an official disaster declaration occurs?

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

alnilam posted:

The news is always talking about a governor or president declaring a disaster and how it frees up resources to help deal with the situation. But I've never heard about what exactly gets freed up. What kind of resources actually come into play when an official disaster declaration occurs?

I can't speak for everywhere, but when I was growing up in Massachusetts, once a state of emergency was declared (at least when talking about snow storms) it meant you could no longer drive on the roads unless it was an emergency or you were on The List. I remember we had to register all of our equipment and all of our drivers with the town I lived in. They could then call my boss and tell him "Hey send that F-250 with the 8ft plow over to high street, we need your bobcat over on Main Street, send your front end loader to the harbor" etc.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Yeah there's certain legal structures and funding sources that only take effect in the event of a disaster. Like an officially declared disaster might authorize a governor to spend money from a certain pool without needing the legislature to approve it, or allow hospitals to move or transfer certain patients that they ordinarily wouldn't.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

socketwrencher posted:

Here's what I'd like to see: a nationwide college campus barnstorming tour where Ben Shapiro and X debate. Shapiro is good at what he does but from what I've seen he rarely engages with anyone at or above his rhetorical/debating skill level, and obviously only chooses venues/formats where he has a fair degree of control. Not only might it be enlightening to audiences whose minds haven't yet been rusted shut for all eternity, it seems like it would be astoundingly lucrative for the participants. Shapiro probably wouldn't want to do it, but maybe his ego wouldn't take being called a chicken.

Who would be a good X?

In fairness, the OP asked a stupid/small question, I wasn't intending to discuss whether a debate would be a good idea or not.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Ok. Enough already

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

moonmazed posted:

ughhh can you just shut up

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

alnilam posted:

It varies alot locally, but in addition to getting FEMA money/resources, it can also allow law enforcement to to temporarily block access to areas, disarm people, order evacuations (and potentially charge people for the cost of their rescue if they choose not to evacuate).

I think access to FEMA money is the big reason.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It varies alot locally, but in addition to getting FEMA money/resources, it can also allow law enforcement to to temporarily block access to areas, disarm people, order evacuations (and potentially charge people for the cost of their rescue if they choose not to evacuate).

I think access to FEMA money is the big reason.

Seems like 'disarming people' could/would be a massive trigger point in the current climate. Or am I over-interpreting

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Squibsy posted:

Seems like 'disarming people' could/would be a massive trigger point in the current climate. Or am I over-interpreting

Don't worry, they'll only be disarming black and brown people.
Jonny Militia and the other nazis will be duly deputized to help keep the peace in these trying times

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
there are also disaster recovery block grants to support rebuilding housing and infrastructure; these pots of money are only open to entities affected by declared disasters and they get passed the year after the disaster. new york city got it after sandy, puerto rico after maria, the state of oregon after half of its landmass was on fire last year, etc etc

https://www1.nyc.gov/content/sandytracker/pages/hud-cdbg-dr here's NYC's tracker on how it's still spending these funds it got

v that too, i swear i heard about "fema death camps" every other day during the obama years

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 31, 2022

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Squibsy posted:

FEMA has been a conspiracy magnet for decades.

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/intelligence-report/2010/fear-fema
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2022/jan/20/facebook-posts/claim-fema-prison-camps-part-long-running-thorough/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FEMA_camps_conspiracy_theory

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I have a very stupid question because it's based on reality TV and internet people: Is there some super cheap way to travel intercontinentally that I have never heard of? I see these people saying that they met someone on the internet and went to visit them somewhere halfway around the world like fifty times but they live at home with their parents. Then (on here) I read sadsack stories about long distance relationships and those people say they fly back and forth all the time too, despite horrifying living conditions

Is this a real thing or is it all made up? I am like 99% sure it's the latter because we take vacations out of the country like once or twice a year and it's astronomically expensive

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

I have a very stupid question because it's based on reality TV and internet people: Is there some super cheap way to travel intercontinentally that I have never heard of? I see these people saying that they met someone on the internet and went to visit them somewhere halfway around the world like fifty times but they live at home with their parents. Then (on here) I read sadsack stories about long distance relationships and those people say they fly back and forth all the time too, despite horrifying living conditions

Is this a real thing or is it all made up? I am like 99% sure it's the latter because we take vacations out of the country like once or twice a year and it's astronomically expensive
Flight prices can vary a lot - not uncommon for them to be like 2-4 times as much from peak to non-peak time of year, how long ahead you book, if you're flying standby, etc. Are you normally flying at standard vacation times like spring break, summer, Christmas?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Trapick posted:

Flight prices can vary a lot - not uncommon for them to be like 2-4 times as much from peak to non-peak time of year, how long ahead you book, if you're flying standby, etc. Are you normally flying at standard vacation times like spring break, summer, Christmas?

Usually in the fall and spring, I suppose.

The whole thing gives me house hunters vibes where it's a substitute teacher and a barista but their budget is $1.2 million

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Don't forget these people pour their entire lives into this forsaking absolutely everything else to make it happen. A lot of times their on the TV because the show will provide them with a bit of funding to further facilitate their dreams.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

When I was broke and long-distance my less broke partner couldn't afford to improve my situation, but they could afford to buy me a plane ticket every now and again. These days my trick is to have a relative swimming in airline miles from work travel who never needs them because when they're not working they just want to stay home and sleep in their own bed.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Manager Hoyden posted:

Best way to do it:

1. Live in or near a city with an international airport (obvious, but finding cheap flights out of LA is no good if you live in Topeka and would need to fly to LA to take advantage of the flight)

2. Have a very flexible schedule

3. Keep an eye on deal websites like spoofee.com and/or do courier travel via sites like Aircourierinternational.com --- the downside with the latter is the you're giving up your baggage allowance for a cheap flight. So you need to be able to pack everything you'll need into a carry on.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I think where you live has a huge impact; I just looked up London > Rome flights, and they're much cheaper than, say, Ottawa to Edmonton within Canada, due to demand/competition/etc.

Another stupid question to balance the stupid statement I just made: when did flights start listing their emissions impact?

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 31, 2022

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

3-4 years ago I want to say? When they started realizing that by doing that and offering you the ability to pay them to offset it was a way to improve profits. When you pay that extra 10.whatever dollars youre subsidizing what they pay to offset their emmissions

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
How did they cram so much voiced dialog into old adventure games? Some of these games have just tons of poo poo voiced, and it's kind of amazing, y'know?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Manager Hoyden posted:

Keep in mind you are paying for a hotel every night and they aren’t. So it’s just one round trip ticket and if you aren’t picky about connections or what day you travel, it can be reasonable.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Leave posted:

How did they cram so much voiced dialog into old adventure games? Some of these games have just tons of poo poo voiced, and it's kind of amazing, y'know?
CDs were able to store over a hundred times more than disks, and a lot of games were distributed on multiple CDs. A multi-gigabyte game was entirely possible once CDs became the standard.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Tiggum posted:

CDs were able to store over a hundred times more than disks, and a lot of games were distributed on multiple CDs. A multi-gigabyte game was entirely possible once CDs became the standard.

Well, yeah, that's a good point. When I was a kid, we had a PC, but not a lot of games for it, so I never really played adventure games when I was younger. I really enjoy LPs of them, and it is still amazing to me how much talking there is.

Thank you!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You can compress the hell out of speech, too. It has a much more limited sonic range than music.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Platystemon posted:

You can compress the hell out of speech, too. It has a much more limited sonic range than music.

I didn't realize how much you could compress voices. A lot of the voice acting in these games is good, and not just good for the time. It's actually well read and stuff, and I really enjoy it.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Absolutely. The audio quality of the voices here is actually kind of bad and hissy but you can't really hear it over the midi soundtrack so who cares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7qBJak98cs

Sometimes good enough is good enough.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

All the LucasArts games of that era came out in floppy disk versions and CD versions, where the CD version had voices and the floppy one didn't.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

McCracAttack posted:

Absolutely. The audio quality of the voices here is actually kind of bad and hissy but you can't really hear it over the midi soundtrack so who cares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7qBJak98cs

Sometimes good enough is good enough.

Funnily enough, the intro cutscene has the worst speech quality, because in the disk version that was the only speech in the game and they kept it the same for the CD version.

The in-game speech is better quality because it was only in the CD version.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Is there a history of the board state the first time Deep Blue beat a Grandmaster Chess Player, and is it something that chess people would recognize on sight?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Boba Pearl posted:

Is there a history of the board state the first time Deep Blue beat a Grandmaster Chess Player, and is it something that chess people would recognize on sight?

According to this, yeah, probably.

quote:

The last game of the 1997 Kasparov v. Deep Blue match lasted only an hour. Deep Blue traded its bishop and rook for Kasparov’s queen, after sacrificing a knight to gain position on the board. The position left Kasparov defensive, but not helpless, and though he still had a playable position, Kasparov resigned—the first time in his career that he had conceded defeat. Grandmaster John Fedorowicz later gave voice to the chess community’s shock at Kasparov’s loss: “Everybody was surprised that he resigned because it didn’t seem lost. We’ve all played this position before. It’s a known position.” Kasparov said of his decision, “I lost my fighting spirit.”

Edit, if you are looking for move by move details, there are videos, and this is the board state specifically from the above mentioned Kasaprov final match
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Blue_versus_Kasparov,_1997,_Game_6

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 1, 2022

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

CzarChasm posted:

Edit, if you are looking for move by move details, there are videos, and this is the board state specifically from the above mentioned Kasaprov final match

This is perfect, thank you very much.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

CzarChasm posted:

That's the first time it beat the world champion in a tournament. If you're just looking for a victory over Kasparov in a single game, that had famously happened the previous year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Blue_versus_Kasparov,_1996,_Game_1

I'm not sure if it had beaten any lesser grandmasters before that. Someone in the chess thread might know: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3986136

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Is there an appropriate thread or subform for asking questions/getting advice about relocation and moving to a new place

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

kalel posted:

Is there an appropriate thread or subform for asking questions/getting advice about relocation and moving to a new place

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3411978&pagenumber=176&perpage=40

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

like 15 years ago maybe, there was something on 60 minutes about a new substance someone invented that you would spray on building walls. it made it so if graffiti was applied after, it would come off just with water. does anyone know what i'm talking about?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

kalel posted:

There's also the LAN subforum if you're relocating to a new city
https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=241

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
If a a truck driver in a 16-wheeler is stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic, and they have to change lanes for an exit, what do they do? Cus as far as I can tell you're never gonna get a big enough gap there, and good luck getting strangers on the road to cooperate