Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Desantis will win because this is the hell timeline and only bad things can happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Murgos posted:

This is amazing. They are asserting that the fact that the records are ‘presidential records’ completely overcomes any notion of national secrets. Combined with that they use president to refer to Trump in the present tense and it’s like they are insisting that Trump is the president and so has a right to presidential records.

I just finished. Kept having to stop and rewind cause this is like some pennywise clown shoes horsepucky.

The whole argument rests on the assumption that everything is his, we presume because he's the REAL president.

loving nuts.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Murgos posted:

This is amazing. They are asserting that the fact that the records are ‘presidential records’ completely overcomes any notion of national secrets. Combined with that they use president to refer to Trump in the present tense and it’s like they are insisting that Trump is the president and so has a right to presidential records.

Remember how he insisted two of his passports are valid?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Murgos posted:

His passports were mixed in with the classified documents. How does your passport get mixed in with documents you don’t have or didn’t know were there?

It’s kind of hard to miss the yellow and red cover folders.

"I had people who took care of that for me, I had no idea where my passports were."

This was actually even true while he was president. All your personal effects go into storage and your documents etc are taken care of for stuff like international travel.

quote:

The White House’s advance staff keeps it locked up in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, along with the passports of other White House staffers.

Also amusing and presumably why he was so attached to it:

quote:

According to the White House, which demystified the process in this very helpful video, Obama’s passport was newly minted when he became president. It’s just like yours: It has his photo and he’s signed it and everything. Except that his says: “THE BEARER IS THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES.”

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Do you get a new one when you lose the election? Because I see him parading that one around and saying SEEE I'm the president.

Would be a neat souvenir though.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

cr0y posted:

Do you get a new one when you lose the election? Because I see him parading that one around and saying SEEE I'm the president.

Would be a neat souvenir though.

I doubt they give you one; you're a plebe now and get to go through the process like anyone else. Also I think if it hasn't been ten years since you got your civilian passport/renewed it, it'll still be good once you're a private citizen again.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Automata 10 Pack posted:

I think the “DeSantis is weak, actually” posts are 100% purestrain cope and all hinge on Republicans willing to choose a vacuum than someone trying to be parallel to Trump and Democrats willing to be as energized to opposing him as they are for Trump.

idk i notice most of the people saying desantis is a juggernaut all happen to be from the south east and especially florida. I literally haven't heard his name in the wild a single time in the north west.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Also what the gently caress is trump's even attempted defense at this point? That document spread was about the worst possible combination of stuff you could possible find someone hiding

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Also what the gently caress is trump's even attempted defense at this point? That document spread was about the worst possible combination of stuff you could possible find someone hiding

The defense seems to be that it's fake news because Trump didn't actually store them on the floor

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

That they are simultaneously his and declassified and also planted. It's just throwing poo poo against a wall hoping something will stick. He doesn't have a single unified defense strategy.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

idk i notice most of the people saying desantis is a juggernaut all happen to be from the south east and especially florida. I literally haven't heard his name in the wild a single time in the north west.

Yeah, in New England the only people who know who DeSantis is are doomer Twitter roses. Everyone else is like "who?" and his charisma-vacuum schtick isn't going to change that readily.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

He still thinks he's the president. He thinks he can possess classified documents because he's still the president. That's probably his defense.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Charliegrs posted:

He still thinks he's the president. He thinks he can possess classified documents because he's still the president. That's probably his defense.

yes, but he's not offering that defense to a judge - he's offering it to qultists and chuds and maga and gop and brietbart and sinclair and over a billion sockpuppets and newsmax and oann and oath keepers and proud boys and klansmen and antisemites and neonazis and militiamen

He's made no effort to persuade a judge of this claim.

e - Treason.

e2 - I keep calling it his 'new-Q-lore option' hoping some lovely rag will use it in a headline someday

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 1, 2022

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 42 hours!)

I'm actually not seeing how he slithers out of this.

'Ah, nevertheless...' is still lurking.

I think his best bet is stalling as hard as he can and praying the next President pardons him before he sees federal prison.

Of course Trump wants that next President to be Trump, but if he loses the GOP nomination to (say) De Santis, he would be ill placed to run as a third party - the price of a pardon would likely be lockstep support by Trump of the GOP candidate, no?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 42 hours!)

Anyone here understand federal sentencing guidelines enough to explain what minimum/maximum sentencing is for the charges listed?

Particularly interested in minimums.

Ah 18 USC s 793

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Sep 1, 2022

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Rust Martialis posted:

Of course Trump wants that next President to be Trump, but if he loses the GOP nomination to (say) De Santis, he would be ill placed to run as a third party - the price of a pardon would likely be lockstep support by Trump of the GOP candidate, no?

lol at thinking that Donald J. Trump will continue to honor the terms of any agreement the nanosecond the president signs that pardon

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

That's why I compare to Walker, he had the same exact pattern of "hurt vulnerable people, throw red meat to the right, become the center of everyone's hopes and fears, but really only in his state/region." Had some things shaken out differently, he could have won the presidency. And he could have done a lot of damage in that office, as he did as governor. If he'd won the nomination he would have had the full backing of national Republicans and without the divisiveness the Trump nomination had. While he'd have probably done less damage than Trump in terms of destabilizing the country, radicalizing the right, and generally sowing chaos, he might have managed a lot more calculated and lasting harm with less popular backlash too.

But he didn't have Trump's decades of being a household name.
He didn't have the "successful businessman ready to clean house on those politicians" myth to sell to the rank and file voters.
He didn't have Trump's ability to be such a blindingly stupid rear end in a top hat that blindingly stupid assholes instantly recognized him as their kind.
He didn't have the talent/popular appeal to bully everyone in his party to backing his whims or at least not speaking against him, even when he was working against the party.
He didn't get massive free coverage from mainstream media outlets willing to give him the benefit of the doubt even when they should know better.
Most importantly, he never showed any sign of driving non-voters or occasional voters to the polls to vote for Republicans the way Trump did.

All of that is also DeSantis. The difference is just pre-Trump vs post-Trump rhetoric and policies. Which is itself a definite gap since the party has become more openly fascist since Walker was the guy to look out for. And no one I've seen had denied that he's a young successful politician on the short list of people who might be a future Republican president. Or that he'd do a lot of harm in that position. It's just that casting him as the next Trump or the prophecied competent fascist that will be everything Trump tried to minus the shooting himself in the foot requires ignoring a lot of how Trump succeeded.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
They knew he had the documents. I wonder if they ever tried to tempt him with an agent offering to buy state secrets. Was there any sting along the way or is it just documents. I believe him and his handlers would be dumb enough to bite if the bait was ever offered.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Lol. Literally deploying the "...some light treason" defense

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1565038382849265664

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Charliegrs posted:

Have any actual lawyers weighed in on whether it was really an admission of guilt that Trump said the documents were in boxes?
No, because real lawyers get paid. IE, the DOJ lawyers almost certainly have started writing up Indictments and evidence packages, but prosecutors (from my understanding of things) construct their case based on facts and prepare for defense counterarguments. From the perspective of a jury, then, they want to build a case where the facts show no other reasonable interpretation. The defense, on the other hand, tries to show doubts.

(I don't know if the defendant can request these cases be tried by a judge, but that seems like a silly choice here because...)

The more important question is if the statements and collected evidence will be sufficient to convince beyond a reasonable doubt. Unfortunately the reality of this situation is that there is no reasonable random sample in the country at this point. By definition at least 1/5 (or up to the "30% trump base") are not reasonable. Trump could shoot them in court and they'd still sit in the jury room and argue that he was drugged by the deep state drone control program.

He would actually be smart to request a speedy trial. The longer it takes to get to court, the more chance everyone has to mentally comprehend the extent of his crimes. Everyone is slowly turning on him, and more time means more foxlose viewers seeping into oann/whatever. Even though that Q crowd will flail and whine, being presented with more and more evidence from their own 'community' will eventually have an effect.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

cr0y posted:

That they are simultaneously his and declassified and also planted. It's just throwing poo poo against a wall hoping something will stick. He doesn't have a single unified defense strategy.

yeah I'm used to a lot of hypocrisy and mental gymnastics from RWM in general but the obfuscation they've been attempting with this story is some next level poo poo. Or as Trump would say "the worst anyone's ever seen in all of human history"

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
When everybody told him the election fraud claims weren't true, trump ignored them and demanded the only claim his administration would make going forward was election fraud. He wouldn't let his staff do anything that defied the election fraud claims, even though they all knew it wasn't true.

Here at maralago I'll bet it's the exact same story. Every insider is desperately trying to convince Trump to take a more effective defense, to try different tactics, and to make tiny concessions in his narrative to overcome the DOJ. And Trump throws his cheeseburger at the wall screaming "I am the president and if you say otherwise you're fired."

Trump is his own worst enemy and always has been.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Judge Schnoopy posted:

When everybody told him the election fraud claims weren't true, trump ignored them and demanded the only claim his administration would make going forward was election fraud. He wouldn't let his staff do anything that defied the election fraud claims, even though they all knew it wasn't true.

Here at maralago I'll bet it's the exact same story. Every insider is desperately trying to convince Trump to take a more effective defense, to try different tactics, and to make tiny concessions in his narrative to overcome the DOJ. And Trump throws his cheeseburger at the wall screaming "I am the president and if you say otherwise you're fired."

Trump is his own worst enemy and always has been.

Prester Jane’s extremist compaction cycle, except with ever dumber lawyers.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
It appears the lawyers are both really bad at lawyering things like, say, knowing the applicable laws and also true believers.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

cr0y posted:

Yep. It's the old hydra of misinformation. Fifty different heads, fifty different spurious objections to the truth. If one gets rebutted, just deploy one of the other forty-nine.

With so many separate arguments, there must be one of them with some merit, right?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
That means they definitely made copies
https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1565022466577145856

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

My "I did not fax a copy of ourspies.txt to Vladimir Putin" t-shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Charlz Guybon posted:

Lol. Literally deploying the "...some light treason" defense

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1565038382849265664

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1565378364638126080

MAGA!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Main Paineframe posted:

The government already knows that Trump still had the documents, and they wouldn't be moving forward unless they had sufficient leads on evidence that Trump personally knew about still having the documents.
Like kajillions of goons, I know nothing about this but will nonetheless share my uninformed views.

Surely "classified documents in my desk drawer next to my passports" is going to be pretty hard to argue away?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Oracle posted:

"I had people who took care of that for me, I had no idea where my passports were."

This was actually even true while he was president. All your personal effects go into storage and your documents etc are taken care of for stuff like international travel.

Also amusing and presumably why he was so attached to it:

So you get the name of the person who was handling those documents, then you say you're going to charge them with these charges unless they cooperate, and they then testify that Trump directed them / had knowledge / whatever.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Like kajillions of goons, I know nothing about this but will nonetheless share my uninformed views.

Surely "classified documents in my desk drawer next to my passports" is going to be pretty hard to argue away?

He could argue that he had no idea they were in there, and that someone else did it without his knowledge.

It's certainly unlikely that lone staffers and secretaries were all snatching documents on their own without his knowledge and hiding them in his desk without him having any idea they were there, but it's not impossible for a good defense lawyer and a sympathetic client to convince a jury that it's possible, and that makes "beyond reasonable doubt" a tough standard to meet unless they've got something more solid that personally implicates him in the decision.

Of course, "I had these highly classified documents so poorly secured that random workers were snatching them and hiding them around Mar-A-Lago and I had no idea" has some obvious limitations as a defense. Failing to properly secure classified documents is less bad than deliberately seeking to hide them from the government, but it's not exactly gonna get him off scot-free either. I doubt Trump will be satisfied with that, which means his poor lawyers will be forced to try a wilder and more novel line of argument.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Have there been any announcements regarding new January 6 hearings? It's September, when they said they'd get back to us.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
House oversight committee getting financial records. This has been obstructed since 2019. https://twitter.com/nicholaswu12/status/1565329309593731073

Electoral college reform bill may have 60 senator support. https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1565366200829370370

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
(Rescind. Apparently a typo...)

Politico says the (T-appointed) judge may block doj review of documents for an unspecified time, but has not yet ruled on the question of special counsel. https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/01/trump-lawyers-doj-court-00054521 There are conflicting tweets which has led to some confusion about whether or not the full list of documents will be made public.

Confused-T appointed judge is confused. :effort:

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 1, 2022

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

....isn't the DoJ already reviewing them?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
:catholic:

Durr the article posted:

A federal judge indicated Thursday that she’s seriously considering temporarily barring Justice Department investigators from reviewing material seized from Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate.

U.S. District Court Judge Aileen Cannon suggested that she’s mulling imposing that restriction, while potentially allowing an exception for the intelligence community to continue reviewing national security risks from the potential exposure of the seized documents.

Justice Department attorneys pushed back sharply against that outcome, warning against any disruption to their ongoing criminal investigation of Trump’s handling of classified documents.

She's trying to save face.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I thought they said they were done reviewing the documents? Is this all just showmanship bullshit that everyone's doing to appeal to whatever parties they're personally trying to appeal to?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
She's gonna get appealed and overruled instantly.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Didnt Mazars cut ties with him months ago?
I guess they would still have some data though.

e: https://edition.cnn.com/2022/02/15/politics/mazars-trump-letter-letitia-james/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

cr0y posted:

....isn't the DoJ already reviewing them?

Yes and I believe they have already completed their review. But, Trump wants a "Special Master" to review them because he supposedly doesn't trust the DOJ to review them properly. That was the purpose of today's court hearing. Of course the real reason is so he can gum up the works and add delay to DOJs investigation and probably dig up dirt on witnesses so they can be doxxed and threatened etc.