Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Yeah the US forces every country into free trade agreements and then constantly violates them. They have been ruled against multiple times over decades by extremely US friendly tribunals, which they promptly disregard, and strongarm us into a new, more favourable agreement, which they then also immediately violate.

Plus they stole our fish.

(I am from BC so take it with a grain of salt)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Free trade for me but not for thee

(I almost went with fir trade)

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

How hosed is it that we have "free trade" but we still pay outrageous duties to import anything and it's illegal to work in another coutnry.

My company can move to the US but I can't lol. Seems good and fair.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

modernity

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Free trade for me but not for thee

(I almost went with fir trade)

Free Trade as in the biggest player is free to do whatever they want.

Same as Free Market, where the biggest player is also free to whatever they want.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

The US is also short like 15,000+ pilots and counting meanwhile Canada dicks theirs around. It's trivial to get your license converted to an FAA one but lol good luck getting a visa for a pilot job unless you're married to an American citizen. The NAFTA/USMCA TN Visas don't work for that profession and H1B visas are difficult to prove a labor market opinion for (Can an American citizen fill your job Y/N? - If Y, Visa denied). It gives Canadian outfits an excuse to underpay and mistreat their workforce while the Americans will pay way better and have more opportunities we can't take despite having almost the same training and linguistic background needed for the job. Oddly enough Australians don't have these limitations and can get a visa a lot easier than Canadians can.

If ever the US loosens visa requirements for Canadians in these kinds of professions everyone who's been paying 1970s era wages for pilots operating up North and elsewhere is going to lose their entire work force. Heck even Air Canada will have pilots jump ship to work for United or whoever given how much more lucrative the salaries are. In most cases you won't even have to live in the US to do those jobs since they'll just fly you into your starting point for free and then fly you back home.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Company Tells Employees: Work 'Voluntary' Overtime or Go To Jail

Scaffolders refuse to volunteer for OT or work assigned OT shifts. Letter calling for OT refusal was shared among workers on Aug 22. The company took this to the Labour Board on the 24th and had a ruling on the 25th, declaring this an illegal strike and ordering workers to take overtime shifts. The company was sure to warn workers that further refusal could result in firing, liability for added project costs or penalties the employer might face for failing to meet targets, and even maybe jail time!

The article briefly mentions it near the end, but Alberta has had repeated heat advisories over the summer. Got to a love endangering people by co-ercing them to work in sweltering heat because a province has historically undermined labour rights.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Omicron vaccine getting approved tomorrow.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I know Trudeau sucks but man are the daycare subsidies helpful. Got a full time daycare spot for my one year old daughter for 260 a month at a licensed daycare and that poo poo cost like 850 before the program.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Im gonna test drive the new EI sickness benefits. Been hounding my work for a ROE and got a phone consult with my doctor today for the sick note. All my half dozen Covid tests over the week are negative so either I somehow caught a cold instead of Covid or rapid tests are terribly inaccurate.

Even a shitlib sometimes throws us plebs a bone.

Edit: lol there's a week long waiting period I guess if you're barely keeping your head above water gently caress you find your own way to cover all your bills after losing a quarter of a month's pay.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 1, 2022

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
New moderna bivalent vaccine approved. Hopefully we'll see it become available pretty quickly!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
Me too. The first vaccine was approved 9 Dec 2020, and my age group didn't become eligible until mid-May. But if it does take that long, that means I'll be getting the bivalent shot over a year since my last booster.

I took the BC gamble and didn't get a 2nd booster in July, so I wouldn't have to wait six months before I could get the bivalent vaccine. I hope that wasn't in vain—cold and flu Season is quickly approaching.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I really hope they approve it for school age kids soon as the vaxx rates for kids have just gone into the toilet in BC. I dunno if it is laziness or the antivaxx whackos convincing gullible folks.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

priznat posted:

I really hope they approve it for school age kids soon as the vaxx rates for kids have just gone into the toilet in BC. I dunno if it is laziness or the antivaxx whackos convincing gullible folks.

My guess is laziness. A lot of people think the pandemic is over so there's no real urgency to get the vaccine if it's "not as severe for kids".

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yeah, I’ll second the laziness diagnosis. Most people I talk to say COVIDs not a big deal anymore, no need for vaccines or masks, everything is finally back to normal.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah I’m buying more masks etc now to stock up for the fall, gonna be bad yet no shutdowns or lockdowns while teachers etc call in sick en masse.

Speaking of any good places online in canada for kn/kf masks? I don’t trust most of the amazon listings.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

priznat posted:

Yeah I’m buying more masks etc now to stock up for the fall, gonna be bad yet no shutdowns or lockdowns while teachers etc call in sick en masse.

Speaking of any good places online in canada for kn/kf masks? I don’t trust most of the amazon listings.

I did well with Canada Strong, despite their goofy name.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
Honestly the Home Depot N95's aren't bad. I like the yellow headbands. :3:

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
It's really telling that the Ceeb filed their article about the new vaccines under the Political bureau

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Got a bunch from https://www.vitacore.com that I’ve been happy with, probably put in another order soon.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Glimpse posted:

Got a bunch from https://www.vitacore.com that I’ve been happy with, probably put in another order soon.

Very high quality and a domestic producer to boot. They also donated a shitload of masks to various front line workers.

Supporting them also means keeping a domestic supply in business imo.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Franks Happy Place posted:

Very high quality and a domestic producer to boot. They also donated a shitload of masks to various front line workers.

Supporting them also means keeping a domestic supply in business imo.

Thirding Vitacore - excellent masks, even the ones with just the two bands for the ears. Well fitting, really appreciate the fabric for the chin too which makes me feel like I’m ACTUALLY covered.

And I’m happy the new vaccine is approved, but I don’t regret getting the booster early. I’m not taking a chance waiting for it.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

ChickenDoodle posted:

Thirding Vitacore - excellent masks, even the ones with just the two bands for the ears. Well fitting, really appreciate the fabric for the chin too which makes me feel like I’m ACTUALLY covered.

And I’m happy the new vaccine is approved, but I don’t regret getting the booster early. I’m not taking a chance waiting for it.

I got mine back halfway through July. I figure by the time it comes toward me, it'll have been at least 3 months since my last dose.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

Yeah, I’ll second the laziness diagnosis. Most people I talk to say COVIDs not a big deal anymore, no need for vaccines or masks, everything is finally back to normal.

It's also that there are a lot of qualifiers to the benefits of the vaccines for kids, at least until the omicron one is approved for them. The vaccines aren't great at preventing infection against the virus mutations which have been prevalent for a long time now, so we can't tell them it will keep the kid from getting sick. And kids were already at significantly reduced risk of suffering serious negative consequences. Unequivocally kids should be getting fully vaccinated and boosters, because it does reduce their risk of negative outcome even before the new vaccines arrive. But in terms to selling it to the public, that is a lot weaker then the early days for adults. It's the difference between solid health advice like "stop drinking, sleep more, exercise more" and "get vaxxed to not die".

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Today I submitted an ATIP request for my grandfather's military records from WWII. I know he served in France and the Netherlands, and I want to go on a trip and visit some places where he was. I just received this response:

"Due to the large number of inquiries received, we are currently responding to requests we received in November 2018. We appreciate your understanding in regards to this situation."

LOL. Well, gently caress me then.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Me too. The first vaccine was approved 9 Dec 2020, and my age group didn't become eligible until mid-May. But if it does take that long, that means I'll be getting the bivalent shot over a year since my last booster.

I took the BC gamble and didn't get a 2nd booster in July, so I wouldn't have to wait six months before I could get the bivalent vaccine. I hope that wasn't in vain—cold and flu Season is quickly approaching.

Likewise, only in Alberta.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Canuckistan posted:

Today I submitted an ATIP request for my grandfather's military records from WWII. I know he served in France and the Netherlands, and I want to go on a trip and visit some places where he was. I just received this response:

"Due to the large number of inquiries received, we are currently responding to requests we received in November 2018. We appreciate your understanding in regards to this situation."

LOL. Well, gently caress me then.

Lol indeed. That said, if you know what regiment he was in and roughly when, the archives have full copies of a lot of regimental war diaries, little books an officer carried that detailed everything that happened day by day. It'd take some digging but you might find something there.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

priznat posted:

There's legit 3M auras on Amazon Canada. Easily the most comfortable and well fitting mask I've used. I've also used the Dent-X masks and they're less comfortable but definitely make a good seal.

I think the stuff you have to watch out for is an unknown brand name on Amazon, to my knowledge anything that's literally 3M is unlikely to be fake.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

enki42 posted:

to my knowledge anything that's literally 3M is unlikely to be fake.

Could you expand on this a bit?

Because to the best of my knowledge there's still absolutely nothing keeping knock-offs from being binned and sold with name brand products from either Amazon or 3rd party sellers.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
i'll 100% admit that's an uninformed assumption. I can definitely say at least with the ones that I bought that they're either genuine, or someone went to a tremendous amount of effort to perfectly pull off a counterfeit 3M mask, packaging, etc.

At the very least I would think it would be easier to identify fakes when things aren't coming in cheap nondescript packaging.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
3M Auras are the most comfortable I've tried, good for hours.

Out here in Nova Scotia, the onetime vanguard of continental covid management, I will become eligible for a fourth vaccine dose two weeks from now. Wonder if they'll punt that even further with new vaccine approved?

The "consumer's choice" part of all this is pretty lovely. How about "here's a vaccine, get it" and "here are effective masks, wear them". Why am I sitting in my armchair consulting dead forums trying to figure out which vaccine and when is Right For Me.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I mean BC made a recommendation which was “don’t get the fourth dose yet” so I’m not sure which is worse, no information or information that seems questionably wise. It’s hard as an individual when the people who are supposed to be the experts are running confusing public communications.

Honestly I even had trouble finding information from the WHO on whether covid is airborne. Maybe I’m just terrible at website navigation but it doesn’t seem like a big ask to have some simple fact sheets available at this point? BC CDC had nothing useful for what to do coming out of quarantine as my partner recovered, it felt like pure guesswork as to when he wouldn’t be contagious to me anymore.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/Jantafrench/status/1565414213513879552?s=20&t=GezgUOtgDoBuNLVODQutvg

Alberta politics, so stupid the Lieutenant-Governor has to make a statement during a leadership race.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

What other recent examples are there of sovereigns intervening directly in politics?

Spain had a terrorist seperatist movement, 20% inflation, fascist tendencies, etc so we should be fine.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Queen Didulo unilaterally declared that people don't have to pay utility bills anymore, does that count?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Not recent but funny

https://twitter.com/mchykerda/status/1565418564957655040?s=20&t=XObS8dYnYEGn-b6JD8n9JA

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Tbh I don't see any way that it takes as long as last time because there just isn't the supply crunch there once was, both in terms of manufacturing and also booster uptake isn't anything close to the first shots.

Only ~56% of eligible Canadians got more than two shots. 4th shot uptake was even worse, even if you only take into account the 70+ folks that have been eligible the longest. There'll be a prioritization of the olds and immunocompromised for obvious reasons, but I can't imagine it'll last more than a month, maybe two.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

enki42 posted:

i'll 100% admit that's an uninformed assumption. I can definitely say at least with the ones that I bought that they're either genuine, or someone went to a tremendous amount of effort to perfectly pull off a counterfeit 3M mask, packaging, etc.

At the very least I would think it would be easier to identify fakes when things aren't coming in cheap nondescript packaging.

If you go to Amazon.ca and type in "3M Aura" there are tons of reviews that should throw up enormous red flags, even beyond the ones that are people posting that they literally received a different brand entirely lol. Amazon's marketplace is a shitshow of fakes and I would never buy anything from there if I thought it was vital that I got the specific brand that I ordered.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I ordered my 3M Auras from here due to recommendations in the Covid thread found in GBS.

https://unitedcanadainc.com/product/3m-aura-disposable-particulate-respirator-9205-n95/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Powershift posted:

Queen Didulo unilaterally declared that people don't have to pay utility bills anymore, does that count?

Hope her followers have invested in off the grid self-sustaining electrical systems then or she's gonna lose an unsmall number of them on account of them having no electricity:v: