Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Something fun I’ve noticed from my most recent rereads: Colum’s eyes turning into windows to Hell/the stoma (tongue, teeth and all) while he’s possessed and them turning into River water after he dies. Ianthe saying that Lyctors cannot regrow limbs that have been severed but Gideon regrowing Harrow’s thumbs. Harrow telling Ortus that he could to declaim to the Sleeper if all else fails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Huh, hadn't put that first one together myself.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Nona month :tinfoil:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Okay, so I just finished reading Gideon the Ninth, and enjoyed it. Got Harrow on hold at the library, excited to read.
I was discussing with the friend who recommended it to me, and was wondering: is there a general consensus as to why Cytherea did not just kill everyone when they first arrived at Canaan House?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

smug n stuff posted:

Okay, so I just finished reading Gideon the Ninth, and enjoyed it. Got Harrow on hold at the library, excited to read.
I was discussing with the friend who recommended it to me, and was wondering: is there a general consensus as to why Cytherea did not just kill everyone when they first arrived at Canaan House?

Yeah, she goes into it near the end.

Just slamming everyone to death would lead to god sending in other lyctors to go collect her, but doing it piecemeal, getting him to hover outside the system, watching in horror, would draw him in eventually.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

smug n stuff posted:

She says it herself at the end: she was trying to lure the Emperor to the First House. If all the scions died in one fell swoop 1) no one would have contacted the Emperor since Teacher wouldn’t have (Teacher certainly wouldn’t’ve) and if someone had 2) the Emperor would have sent the other Lyctors instead of coming himself.

E: f,b

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

That may have been the plan, but we all know the actual reason behind it all is that she's an overdramatic twit who was absolutely enjoying hamming it up as the slasher movie murderer as well as playing the poor dying sick girl. There's no way she wasn't doing it for that.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
After 10,000 years you really gotta ham it up on your final month (?) of life before your glorious beautiful end.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

DreamingofRoses posted:

She says it herself at the end: she was trying to lure the Emperor to the First House. If all the scions died in one fell swoop 1) no one would have contacted the Emperor since Teacher wouldn’t have (Teacher certainly wouldn’t’ve) and if someone had 2) the Emperor would have sent the other Lyctors instead of coming himself.

Ah, okay, I guess I missed that somehow. Now I'm thinking about all the ways she could have done this more efficiently so that she didn't run the risk of anyone actually becoming a Lyctor, but I guess that isn't the point. Definitely a melodramatic person in general, lol.

Seems like the emperor should establish some kind of system for keeping track of his Lyctors, imo.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

disposablewords posted:

That may have been the plan, but we all know the actual reason behind it all is that she's an overdramatic twit who was absolutely enjoying hamming it up as the slasher movie murderer as well as playing the poor dying sick girl. There's no way she wasn't doing it for that.

You're 100% right, of course.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

smug n stuff posted:

Seems like the emperor should establish some kind of system for keeping track of his Lyctors, imo.

He tried chipping them but just had to give up on taking them to the vet in the face of Gideon the First's puppy dog eyes.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The Emperor frankly did a lot of inefficient things regarding his Lyctors. Just look at all the poo poo discovered in Canaan House, like the regenerating bone, that he kept secret for a myriad even though you don't need to be a Lyctor to do it.

Not to mention letting them get whittled down to three before opening up recruitment in the dumbest possible way.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Rand Brittain posted:

Not to mention letting them get whittled down to three before opening up recruitment in the dumbest possible way.

Remember how Silas, Sextus and Harrow reacted to figuring out how to become a Lyctor? Recruit more and you wind up giving BoE recruiting fodder in the Houses, and manage to piss off the original set further.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

You know, I’m not sure if the Emperor’s plan of taking the most maladjusted individuals in the system, giving them ultimate power, and subjecting them to 10,000 years of memes is a good one.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The Emperor is - surprise! - an imperialist. He uses the structures of Lyctorhood, Necromancers, and Cavaliers as new axes of oppression and social control in place of race, sex, and gender, because being a bisexual indigenous person makes those old axes inconvenient.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Luigi Thirty posted:

You know, I’m not sure if the Emperor’s plan of taking the most maladjusted individuals in the system, giving them ultimate power, and subjecting them to 10,000 years of memes is a good one.
Did he even pick the individuals? It seems like he just asked for all the heirs (since Teacher was surprised when two princesses showed up).

I'm honestly unable to figure out exactly what John thought was going to happen.

DoctorWhat posted:

The Emperor is - surprise! - an imperialist. He uses the structures of Lyctorhood, Necromancers, and Cavaliers as new axes of oppression and social control in place of race, sex, and gender, because being a bisexual indigenous person makes those old axes inconvenient.

I'm not sure this tracks. Like, the Nine Houses seem to involve oppression of other planets, for reasons we don't quite know yet (although the bits from the opening of Nona that Amazon spoiled give me some ideas), but I'm not really sure if the necromancer/cavalier bond is a specific tool of oppression rather than a practical matter stemming from the needs of a necromancer for a tank and someone to spill first blood, and the fact that the Emperor isn't familiar with any non-codependent relationships.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Rand Brittain posted:

Did he even pick the individuals? It seems like he just asked for all the heirs (since Teacher was surprised when two princesses showed up).

I'm honestly unable to figure out exactly what John thought was going to happen.

He did name Harrow directly in the missive to the Ninth, so he knew which names to call, but most likely was still just calling for the heirs because they'd be most invested in continuing his empire since they're already on top of it. I imagine he called for Coronabeth formally in his letter because she is the heir but the house had to push the "born at the same time" excuse to have Ianthe along, given she's the actual necromancer of the pair.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/tokiimon/status/1566194634081988609?s=21&t=34Ii56idgXv69R6DSFF4uw

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Do we actually have any proof that John's death means the end of the solar system of the Nine Houses? While it seems likely enough, from what I recall we only have his word on it thus far.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

No, not as such; he seemed pretty blase-grim about it after reconstituting, though, the whole "hope the sixth didn't get cooked in the blast" he didn't need to say...

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Keret posted:

Do we actually have any proof that John's death means the end of the solar system of the Nine Houses? While it seems likely enough, from what I recall we only have his word on it thus far.

We also have Augustine’s who specifically worked out that the sun in the system gets its power from Jod instead of the other way around

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Is that a typo or a portmanteau? :thunk:

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Cugel the Clever posted:

Is that a typo or a portmanteau? :thunk:

Portmanteau! A very fun one that I picked up in TLT fan circles

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Right now I'm mostly plotting drinks to post when Nona drops (Wairarapa Necromancer, Varun the Drinker, Perfect Lyctor, Blood & Eden, and whatever one I can come up with that's as perfect and precious as Nona herself) but here's something I made tonight:

https://twitter.com/ElixirLibris/status/1566316928104542208

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

That's so perfect for Abigail and Magnus :3:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/TorDotComPub/status/1566803350892322817?t=9HzC9pKMT-daIRQzgGcVgQ&s=19

Ohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboy :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Just read both books for the first time this week, super excited to see where this one goes.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I'm really feeling this tumblr post right now

https://the-unlocked-tomb.tumblr.com/post/694327167138594816/i-feel-like-nona-is-going-to-belike-whats-the

tumblr posted:

i feel like nona is going to be...like what's the opposite of enrichment in my enclosure? this will not make me better, it will make me actively worse. i am going to be so annoying from the moment nona is in my hands to the moment alecto is in my hands. i am a tiger in a cage and i am chomping at the bars

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Loel posted:

Just read both books for the first time this week, super excited to see where this one goes.

On one hand I am glad I read Gideon the week it was published (and have re-read it several times since)...

On the other hand I am extremely jealous of those of you who didn't have to wait years for Harrow and then Nona...

(finishing up a Harrow re-read at the moment)

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
without spoiling too much, yes

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

If I haven't read or thought much of Gideon and Harrow since Harrow's release, how difficult an onboarding will Nona be?

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

am i gonna die

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

tiniestacorn posted:

am i gonna die

We all are

Im sorry u had to find out this way

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'd say it's worth reading As Yet Unsent if you haven't already.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Definitely, 100% read As Yet Unsent :sludgepal:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Happy Landfill posted:

Definitely, 100% read As Yet Unsent :sludgepal:

Holy gently caress it's really good

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

EVERYTHING IS FINE

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Is there a good recap of Gideon and Harrow? It's been a little while since I read them and I'd like a refresher before next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

If you want a fancy set of trade hard covers, Illumicrate will have their set open for public sale later today.

https://mobile.twitter.com/illumicrate/status/1567869856883539968