Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't have the Camaro but I did the Porsche this summer, it's very good. Not the best creator expert car ever but it's well made and looks great built (better than in pictures).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I like the Porsche, but the pickup was a better build, IMO.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Did they raise the price on mos eisley 50 bucks? I could have sworn I paid $350 for it when it came out and now it’s 400 on the LEGO site

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Porche is nice, but I'm kind of disappointed that swapping it between the models isn't more elegant.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Check your local Costco, today, mine had what appeared to be some decent deals. The Vespa Scooter and The Batman Batmobile for $79.99. Looks like that’s 20% off regular price. They had a bunch of other sets as well, but those were the two that caught my eye.

If I hadn’t just ordered the Porsche, I might have gotten the Vespa. Looked kinda interesting. I thought about the batmobile for a second, but figured there was no way it could compare to the 1989 Batmobile.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Started building Starry Night, and just figuring out what color a piece is supposed to be is almost half the work.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

veni veni veni posted:

Did they raise the price on mos eisley 50 bucks? I could have sworn I paid $350 for it when it came out and now it’s 400 on the LEGO site

I definitely paid $350 for it about 5 months ago so it must have gone up in price.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Lord Hydronium posted:

Started building Starry Night, and just figuring out what color a piece is supposed to be is almost half the work.

I said more than once "see, that's why I don't enjoy painting" during that build, holding the instructions very close to my face with squinted eyes.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Orvin posted:

Just checking, but I vaguely remember skimming the thread and reading that the Porsche 911 is a good follow up to the creator Mustang. And that the Camaro was not so great.

I sure hope I am remembering that right, as I added the Porsche to an order for some advent calendars for my kids. I really liked building the Mustang, and do like the looks of it on my shelf.
If you read harsh Camaro opinions, they were likely mine. It's not, like, outright bad or anything - it even does some pretty cool new stuff - but the 911 you picked up is a way more interesting build, for sure.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Lord Hydronium posted:

When you get to the bag that's 95% 4x1 plates slowly layering up for the background, you're supposed to have some random pieces left over at the end. There's a note of that at the end of the instructions for that part, which I didn't notice until after ~15 minutes of rechecking my work assuming I had missed a layer.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Star Sprite

(black piece there just to hold it up cause it’s so back heavy)

The original

Mostly rebuilt it cause I was having a bitch of a time finding pieces in my big ole tub of parts.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Carbohydrates posted:

If you read harsh Camaro opinions, they were likely mine. It's not, like, outright bad or anything - it even does some pretty cool new stuff - but the 911 you picked up is a way more interesting build, for sure.

Good to know that I wasn’t mixing sets up in my head.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

a sexual elk posted:

Star Sprite

(black piece there just to hold it up cause it’s so back heavy)

The original

Mostly rebuilt it cause I was having a bitch of a time finding pieces in my big ole tub of parts.

May as well stop trying to find those parts because yours is cooler anyways.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think I like the gun placement/design on the original more, but I really like the twin fuselage tail-wing thing that sexual elk did.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Yeah the original was based on the P-38 so took my inspiration from there.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/get-moving-with-mattel-s-mega-pokemon-motion-pikachu-building-set/
This whips.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

There is also a Gyarados https://unboxed.megaconstrux.com/en-us/build/playsets/motion-gyarados_1

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Sounds like Starry Night is more suited to a paint-by-numbers style of corresponding a particular part colour to that number, rather than having to interpret the printed instructions (which I personally have trouble reading at the best of times)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Exploring that brought me to this which is not Pokemon but still very cool.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B099ZFHKQK/ref=sspa_mw_detail_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9kZXRhaWw

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Futanari Damacy posted:

Sounds like Starry Night is more suited to a paint-by-numbers style of corresponding a particular part colour to that number, rather than having to interpret the printed instructions (which I personally have trouble reading at the best of times)

I feel that for something like starry night they should change their bag setup. Number the bags, but for the 1x1 colored pieces, just say bag 1 is red, 2 is blue and so on. Then have a bag = color key in the instructions.

Of course that's too complex for lego instructions that still don't have a key that tells what page a bag starts on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

I feel that for something like starry night they should change their bag setup. Number the bags, but for the 1x1 colored pieces, just say bag 1 is red, 2 is blue and so on. Then have a bag = color key in the instructions.

Of course that's too complex for lego instructions that still don't have a key that tells what page a bag starts on.

That's how the mosaic sets work, they also have you build a color key alongside numbers that match up with numbers printed in the instructions to aid in color recognition.

It is a good system and it does sound like they should have done something similar for starry night.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Any of you car people interested in this incomplete set? Got it in one of my bulk buys and don’t really need it and haven’t been able to sell it. Happy to send it off to a good home for free.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

HootTheOwl posted:

The skull should be in the front

The skull should also be missing a couple of teeth

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

tomapot posted:

Any of you car people interested in this incomplete set? Got it in one of my bulk buys and don’t really need it and haven’t been able to sell it. Happy to send it off to a good home for free.

Is it just missing the printed canopies? That’s weird.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

smackfu posted:

Is it just missing the printed canopies? That’s weird.

There were a couple pieces missing when I rebuilt but yeah the canopies were the big items. It came in a box from some family that was moving away so I assume it got chewed on by the kids or lost somewhere along the way.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

tomapot posted:

I mean, I can guarantee those parts would get used! Yeah, I'd happily take it off your hands if it's not spoken for. All good either way!

Also, I made a thing for my partner. We're thinking of selling off the last of our official sets to make more room for MOCs, and Bun wants something to remember Parisian Restaurant by, so here's a micro one to fit in our tiny city!

We started by looking for one that Bun would like on Rebrickable, assuming plenty of other people would have made a mini Parisian by now. We didn't find one that I was totally satisfied with, so I took a couple specific ideas that I really liked and built up my own version. Specific credit to Chricki for the front of the roof and fgee for the first and second floor front window arrangements.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Finished up Starry Night. The build process itself was only okay, with a lot of similar colors and repetitive sections, but the end model looks really cool, so it's a win in my book. It uses a lot of great colors too, and this set seems like it would be a good part resource for some of the less common ones. The big wall of blue is probably my least favorite part, but they do separate the four shades of blue 1x4s by bag, so that made it easier, if not any less tedious. The fact that it can be hung is pretty neat, though not sure yet if I want to do that or put it on a surface (also you can't really have the van Gogh minifig on the hanging version, it sticks out a lot).

I'd be interested in seeing what they can do with other art pieces in the future, though I wonder what ones would be good choices. You'd want something iconic, with simple enough design to be represented in Lego and lots of depth to do different layers. I was thinking that A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte could be interesting. If they wanted to stick with MOMA, maybe Christina's World (though that might get a little boring with all that brown in the field), or I wonder if you could pull off Persistence of Memory in Lego?

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Redid the tail, was a little to thin. Debating on the fin tho.

\/\/\/ few posts up my dude

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 5, 2022

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I don’t know what the source material on that but it’s awesome as hell. Reminds me of wing commander.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dogen posted:

I don’t know what the source material on that but it’s awesome as hell. Reminds me of wing commander.

Pretty sure he said it was the p38 lightning. A US warplane from WWII.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_P-38_Lightning

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think they mean the original set they didn't build, which is a star wars set which I think that was based on the P38, so Elk took further inspiration from when rebuilding.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Waltzing Along posted:

Pretty sure he said it was the p38 lightning. A US warplane from WWII.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_P-38_Lightning

No I meant, whatever a Star Sprite is, which was inspired by the P38 I guess? Assuming it’s not OP’s original creation

Oxyclean posted:

I think they mean the original set they didn't build, which is a star wars set which I think that was based on the P38, so Elk took further inspiration from when rebuilding?

Ah ok, no familiarity with that set whatsoever.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I didn't recognize it as a Star Wars set either, had to reverse image search. Guess it's some EU thing.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Sorry for the confusion haha

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
What a sick fighter! Easily a ton cooler than the official set. It gives me some great bounty hunter vibes, which is exactly where I'm at anyway.

I've been building a MOC in the vein of a secret bounty hunter hideout/base and keep on running into the feeling that the grays (and sand blue) that I'm mainly using are giving it more of an Imperial setting. I guess Star Wars will be Star Wars... maybe I should turn up the grit/industrial levels? Or maybe I should just turn it into a secret Imperial facility. Hmmmm...

Edit: The next batch of Ideas qualifiers was announced, with some seriously cool sets making it to the next phase. https://ideas.lego.com/s/bp:8ddbf90364e748219cac3eee6030fe63

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Sep 5, 2022

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

BaconCopter posted:

Edit: The next batch of Ideas qualifiers was announced, with some seriously cool sets making it to the next phase. https://ideas.lego.com/s/bp:8ddbf90364e748219cac3eee6030fe63

Definitely rooting for the Japanese village, simply based on the fact that it would give me an excuse to expand the main display in my living room even further.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

BaconCopter posted:

I'm still hoping that the Brick Lane tube station from the first 2022 intake is approved for production, I love the small footprint/multi-level look

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dang, that's a lineup. I like the Airship but don't really care for a set that size being motorized with the light house's price.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BaconCopter posted:

That's a strong lineup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
Didn’t know I needed a little mushroom house with acorn hats and a snail mounted fruit merchant until right now