Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

MSPain posted:

poll: how douchey is it for the color of your helmet to match the color of your bike?

Personally I think your helmet should either match your bike or should be as far from matching as possible.

My helmet is black, my jacket is white, and my Ducati is black and gray.

I'm probably very visible to dogs.

In retrospect I kinda wish they were skittles colors but there's always paint and more helmets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Gear update:

Still much love for the Kriega US30 after a few years. Used it for food shopping and then a short road trip this week.

Hooked up an external battery to the GoPro using the Volta magnetic charging plugs. Worked great, although the cable's a bit stiff and sticks out before it can wrap back around the helmet mount. Still, for a first try using either, it was fine. Pretty sure the camera was overheating because the display was discoloured and wonky looking after a couple hours in the sun. Footage looks OK.

Picked up those stick-on pads to enable touchscreen phones to work with leather gloves that JSB had mentioned a while back. Have to get used to the fact that the actual ends on the glove don't work, just the flat pads. No pointing! But they worked well enough I could cancel route mapping on the Maps app and turn the screen off when I didn't need it anymore. Better than having the screen and battery burning away uselessly in the sun.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I remember someone either here or in the Slack channel showing some fancy ear plugs they bought, but I'm not finding it at the moment. Who has recommendations on those?

Want something a bit nicer than the cheap foam ones you squish in. My ear canals are a little strangely shaped, so the cone ones feel awful. The squishy ones can kinda pop out over time or if I don't get it just right.

My hearing has always been pretty lovely and I'm pretty sure I've had tinnitus since I was a little kid, so I don't mind investing a little to keep it from getting worse.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Geekboy posted:

I remember someone either here or in the Slack channel showing some fancy ear plugs they bought, but I'm not finding it at the moment. Who has recommendations on those?

Want something a bit nicer than the cheap foam ones you squish in. My ear canals are a little strangely shaped, so the cone ones feel awful. The squishy ones can kinda pop out over time or if I don't get it just right.

My hearing has always been pretty lovely and I'm pretty sure I've had tinnitus since I was a little kid, so I don't mind investing a little to keep it from getting worse.

I've purchased the regrettably named Eargasms along with some Pinlock earplugs. I've used both at trackdays now.

I think the Pinlock either has a smaller size and does not seal as well in my ear, or it provides less noise isolation than the eargasm. Neither of them seem to be just as good at noise isolation than thebag of 3M earplugs I've had for years.

That said, you say the cone ones don't fit your ear well and you're not looking for foam ear plugs, so I'm not sure what the next option is.

I have also tried the DIY "custom" silicone earplugs that I purchased from the gun/hunting section of Academy many many years ago. I forget what happened that I barely used them before I lost one. I don't think I jammed enough of the material down into my ear canal, and I failed to mark them left or right, top or bottom-- thus it was hard to figure out how to get them into my ears and I don't think they provided all that much sound protection.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

You can get earplug selection packs that have a load of different varieties to try.

I like the Spark Plugs ones but people's earholes are very variable so experimenting is good.

I have some custom made ones which were done by the UK military, I just use disposables though.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I own pinlocks. My ears normally can’t stand earplugs but these are ok, even comfortable sometimes.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I wear a set from Earpiece

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

After wearing the 1400 in the shop for about 20 minutes I was ready to buy. Thankfully all that time allowed me to do some more research and I found that the RF-SR seemed to suit my needs a little better and was also $100 less than the 1400. Ended up getting that after another fit test and am looking forward to putting it to good use soon.

what did you like about the SR over the 1400? i spent some time today trying both on, and couldn't tell a difference. I guess it's an older design, but for $100 that seems to be not the worst thing in the world.

I'm really struggling to find gear that fits the rest of my body, though. I'm tall and thin, and apparently that's not allowed. The only gloves in the store that had long enough fingers were the revit ones, and they only had textile. I tried a pair of those forma adventure lows that everyone loves, and they look great, but if I select a size that fits my foot (44) then the calf is way too loose. Or downsize to a 43, calf/ankle fits but toes are cramped. Similarly, if I try on a jacket, it will either fit in the shoulders and be a circus tent in the torso, or it will fit the torso but be tight up top and way too short. Aren't moto brands supposed to fit effete european builds??

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

Aren't moto brands supposed to fit effete european builds??
Literally depends on the brand. Have you tried on Alpinestars?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Raluek posted:

what did you like about the SR over the 1400? i spent some time today trying both on, and couldn't tell a difference. I guess it's an older design, but for $100 that seems to be not the worst thing in the world.

I'm really struggling to find gear that fits the rest of my body, though. I'm tall and thin, and apparently that's not allowed. The only gloves in the store that had long enough fingers were the revit ones, and they only had textile. I tried a pair of those forma adventure lows that everyone loves, and they look great, but if I select a size that fits my foot (44) then the calf is way too loose. Or downsize to a 43, calf/ankle fits but toes are cramped. Similarly, if I try on a jacket, it will either fit in the shoulders and be a circus tent in the torso, or it will fit the torso but be tight up top and way too short. Aren't moto brands supposed to fit effete european builds??

I'm in the thin and tall club and Dainese is the closest I can get to stuff actually fitting most the time. It's ended up being my first choice because of it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Also don’t buy mesh. It might seem like a good idea right now but perf leather is the way to go. That or you’ll be buying a second jacket in 6 weeks.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Chris Knight posted:

Literally depends on the brand. Have you tried on Alpinestars?

I tried their boots (loose in the shins if i want the velcro to mostly engage), gloves (fingers too short if the palm fits) and jackets (shoulders or torso, pick one). seems like shoulders are the primary thing that need to fit, but of course the sizing guide goes by chest size.

I am going back to CG today to spend more time wearing helmets around the store now that I have two contenders in mind, and I'll try on some more stuff while I'm there.

italian quid posted:

I'm in the thin and tall club and Dainese is the closest I can get to stuff actually fitting most the time. It's ended up being my first choice because of it.

yeah I'll spend more time trying them on today, although it looks like there's only a couple leather models they actually have in-store, and only in a couple sizes.

Toe Rag posted:

Also don’t buy mesh. It might seem like a good idea right now but perf leather is the way to go. That or you’ll be buying a second jacket in 6 weeks.

Yeah definitely. I tend to prefer to feel a little warm than to feel a little cold, and I want whatever I buy to survive my learning experiences, heh. but most of what's in store is either air mesh, or waterproof textile. weird.

thanks all for the input!

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Revzilla has free returns; when I was on my quest for gear that fits properly I just ordered a ton of stuff from them and returned what didn't work. Cause yeah all the main brands that my local stores stocked didn't work for me either (I ended up in mostly all Dainese).

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

I tried their boots (loose in the shins if i want the velcro to mostly engage), gloves (fingers too short if the palm fits) and jackets (shoulders or torso, pick one). seems like shoulders are the primary thing that need to fit, but of course the sizing guide goes by chest size.
Well that sucks. :( I do have thin skinny hands and Cortech gloves seem to be best for me so far, might be worth a shot if there's any at the store next time.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Chris Knight posted:

Well that sucks. :( I do have thin skinny hands and Cortech gloves seem to be best for me so far, might be worth a shot if there's any at the store next time.

since the revit gloves seem to fit well, i think i will just order some of those online and see how it goes

i did buy an RF-1400 today, though, so thats one important thing i can check off

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Raluek posted:

what did you like about the SR over the 1400?

$100 cheaper and, according to some accounts i found online, better for an upright riding position whereas the 1400 was more designed for a slightly tucked one. there seemed to have been a slightly better protection certification on the 1400 but it seemed incremental

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

$100 cheaper and, according to some accounts i found online, better for an upright riding position whereas the 1400 was more designed for a slightly tucked one. there seemed to have been a slightly better protection certification on the 1400 but it seemed incremental

ah. i read the same thing, and was getting ready to go in that direction, but talked to a friend of mine who has one. he thought it was noisier than it needed to be, to the point where he was considering getting something different. reducing wind/road noise was one of the improvements that the 1400 made over the 1200 (new gaskets etc), so i spent the extra $100 for that reason.

would sure have been nice to be able to buy visors for it, though. the SR uses the older design from the 1200, so they're readily available.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Raluek posted:

reducing wind/road noise was one of the improvements that the 1400 made over the 1200 (new gaskets etc), so i spent the extra $100 for that reason.

ah gently caress I'm about to spend $600 aren't I-

Raluek posted:

would sure have been nice to be able to buy visors for it, though. the SR uses the older design from the 1200, so they're readily available.

Oh, good. Phew. I have three visors I wear regularly with my 1200 (clear/dark smoke/mirror) and I don't really feel like re-buying them. They're all out of stock anyway.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
My garage parking spot doesn't have a power outlet nearby and I was thinking of getting a cheap jump starter just in case. Any specific features to look for?

Was tempted by this https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...pack-57209.html

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

T Zero posted:

My garage parking spot doesn't have a power outlet nearby and I was thinking of getting a cheap jump starter just in case. Any specific features to look for?

Was tempted by this https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...pack-57209.html
Lithium-ion jump packs are the norm now, you can get one for near the same price and it'll hold a charge for much longer. And be 1/10 the size and weight.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Firstly i agree, go for lithium. If you charge it in january, you'll still have almost all of your charge next january.

There are two caveats:
- if your battery is *severely* flat, the lithium jump pack won't recognize it and refuse to deliver power. Smart electronics can be frustrating.
- You want to store the jump pack fully charged because you need it to be full when you need to use it. But storing lithium cells at 100% charge reduces their life span. Think 4 years instead of 8 years when stored at 50% charge. YMMV, those jump packs haven't been on the mass market for too long, so i don't know anyone who has had one for more than a few years. Perhaps we'll find out in another 5 years that they survive just fine.

The lead acid jump pack has a lot more self discharge, so you need to keep the jump pack charged at home. In which case you might as well pull the starter battery, and take that one home instead.

But how come you need a jump pack?
If you predictably aren't riding for more than a month on end, you're better off taking the battery out and keeping it float charged at home.

Those little 'oh poo poo, i gotta use my jump starter' moments are pretty harmful to the starter battery. Discovering every winter you need a jump pack is not great.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

LimaBiker posted:

But how come you need a jump pack?
If you predictably aren't riding for more than a month on end, you're better off taking the battery out and keeping it float charged at home.

Those little 'oh poo poo, i gotta use my jump starter' moments are pretty harmful to the starter battery. Discovering every winter you need a jump pack is not great.

I suppose I don't "need" a jump pack. My current bike has never failed to start and the longest I've gone without riding it is 4 weeks. I ride all winter. I also test my battery every couple months.

But as I mentioned in the newbie thread, I recently borrowed a bike that wouldn't start, so I wanted to see if a cheap starter pack would be worthwhile as a last resort backup for peace of mind. Maybe I'd be better off learning to bump start my bike? I just don't want to be caught off guard.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

You can bump start your bike by pushing it up to like 5mph, hoping on it, and dumping the clutch. Going downhill, even a little, helps a lot. Maybe when the bike has higher compression it may take a some small consideration for timing (getting as much weight into the rear wheel when you let the clutch out), but I don't think it should ever be too difficult.

I've had to bump start my bike several times, and it has same engine as yours iirc. It's always started up first try. Here I even have a very exciting video for you. I even messed up by forgetting to put it into gear before I hopped on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUQEs2JW7-0

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I might be remembering wrong, but isn't it even easier if you're in a gear above 1st because the mechanical advantage of gear ratios is working for you?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You normally do it in second yeah, with the higher gears on most bikes it's too hard to push fast enough to even get to idle rpm.

Also good luck doing this with a big v-twin (cruisers excepted) or a powerful thumper. The wheel just stops dead and you skid.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
can confirm, bump starting the 690 with a dead battery was a hell of a lot harder than bump starting the Hawk GT

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
drz and the 950 wouldn't bumpstart. Most the other shitbikes I've had would. fzr didn't have a starting system for like three or four years other than push the fucker and jump on.
DRZ at least had a kickstarter but even then that was a hearty bastard. Drop it in third, roll the bike backwards till it was against the compression stroke. Put it back in neutral, give it a hearty kick.
Then remember to turn the key on.

The best alternative to a jumpbox and faffing with tenders is to just ride the bike.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Slavvy posted:

You normally do it in second yeah, with the higher gears on most bikes it's too hard to push fast enough to even get to idle rpm.

Also good luck doing this with a big v-twin (cruisers excepted) or a powerful thumper. The wheel just stops dead and you skid.

my 1290 took third gear and me hopping on the back seat, but it worked lol

this is the pro way tho:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QdIUO2yS3VA&feature=youtu.be

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

drz and the 950 wouldn't bumpstart. Most the other shitbikes I've had would. fzr didn't have a starting system for like three or four years other than push the fucker and jump on.
DRZ at least had a kickstarter but even then that was a hearty bastard. Drop it in third, roll the bike backwards till it was against the compression stroke. Put it back in neutral, give it a hearty kick.
Then remember to turn the key on.

The best alternative to a jumpbox and faffing with tenders is to just ride the bike.

I can only ever bump the DRZ with the help of a hill. And even then you had to give it a fair bit of help.

When it was parked in an underground garage and a phantom drain, there was a lot of pushing uphill and frustrated rolling downhill.

Just ride it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
am I right to think that there are significant tradeoffs when going with an attractive vintage-style leather jacket?

I just recently bought a modern sport-style jacket (revit convex) that has external armor and fits like a motorcycle jacket. ive also been eyeing some more vintage style jackets that just ooze style, and im trying to talk myself out of going that route instead.

it seems to me that a softer leather material is going to be easier to damage than the stiffer stuff in my existing jacket, and surely I'll get to test it once or twice as a new rider. if I would immediately trash the nice jacket, then what's the point, right? I started out looking at leather because I want something that will survive my learning attempts, and the stylish stuff seems like it might not do that as well.

also, the fit on the vintage styles are typically more relaxed. wouldn't this have a negative effect on the effectiveness of the armor, since the pads can move around and folds can get snagged?

I found a vendor that sells the jacket I really want (revit surgent) for less than I thought it would cost. so, now I'm trying to figure out how bad of an idea it would be to return the one I just bought and pursue style, when I have basically 0 experience and am just starting out. that's a perfect time to get something cool instead of practical, right??

Raluek fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Sep 10, 2022

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
You can get something like a Knox armored shirt and wear it under whatever jacket you like, but honestly i recommend holding off on buying a bunch of gear as a new rider.

Just use the gear you have for a while. After a season or two you’ll better understand what you really want/need for gear, and then you can go off and buy fancy stuff to your heart and wallet’s content.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
rev'it isn't going to sell you a jacket that doesn't work, go for whichever you want.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Raluek posted:

am I right to think that there are significant tradeoffs when going with an attractive vintage-style leather jacket?

I just recently bought a modern sport-style jacket (revit convex) that has external armor and fits like a motorcycle jacket. ive also been eyeing some more vintage style jackets that just ooze style, and im trying to talk myself out of going that route instead.

it seems to me that a softer leather material is going to be easier to damage than the stiffer stuff in my existing jacket, and surely I'll get to test it once or twice as a new rider. if I would immediately trash the nice jacket, then what's the point, right? I started out looking at leather because I want something that will survive my learning attempts, and the stylish stuff seems like it might not do that as well.

also, the fit on the vintage styles are typically more relaxed. wouldn't this have a negative effect on the effectiveness of the armor, since the pads can move around and folds can get snagged?

I found a vendor that sells the jacket I really want (revit surgent) for less than I thought it would cost. so, now I'm trying to figure out how bad of an idea it would be to return the one I just bought and pursue style, when I have basically 0 experience and am just starting out. that's a perfect time to get something cool instead of practical, right??

The shoulder/elbow protection is better on your jacket level 2 vs level 1 on the surgent. Obviously no external armor. Not sure if the leather is thinner (can be the case on more fashionable jackets), scour some review videos.

All that said, think about how fast you are usually riding and match that with how much protection you think you need. Personally speaking, if I spent any time on the highway or was doing anything exciting in the twisties I would keep your jacket.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Russian Bear posted:

The shoulder/elbow protection is better on your jacket level 2 vs level 1 on the surgent. Obviously no external armor. Not sure if the leather is thinner (can be the case on more fashionable jackets), scour some review videos.

All that said, think about how fast you are usually riding and match that with how much protection you think you need. Personally speaking, if I spent any time on the highway or was doing anything exciting in the twisties I would keep your jacket.

yeah certainly nothing exciting yet, my comfort level is still in the realm of "wobble around the neighborhood". after sleeping on it, i am now thinking that this is the right path:

moxieman posted:

Just use the gear you have for a while. After a season or two you’ll better understand what you really want/need for gear, and then you can go off and buy fancy stuff to your heart and wallet’s content.

figure out my poo poo, and in a year or two, when i have a better idea of what i want, reward myself with something nice if things are going well.

3am isn't the best time to be internet window shopping, lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Raluek posted:

3am isn't the best time to be internet window shopping, lol

It's absolutely the best time, just leave your card in your wallet until next afternoon.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Geekboy posted:

I like these. https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Plugs-Waterproof-Reduction-Protection/dp/B003GVTDQW

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I've been wearing Eargasms for about a year and am very happy with them. Not cheap though so if you're prone to dropping/misplacing small things that'd be a downside I guess.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
I'm another eargasm user and despite the name they are a fantastic product and definitely worth the money.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Big box of yellow 3m foamies foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arson Daily posted:

Big box of yellow 3m foamies foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I get the green fishbowl from CVS and keep a few pairs in an old pill bottle in my jacket pocket.