Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Serephina posted:

The trick to converting large houses is to constantly be taking kids as your wards. Sort the character finder by age and take the two oldest 14-year olds, as the SECOND each turns 15 and you convert them immediately ditch them for the next oldest 14-year old. Barring twins, you're guaranteed to get every single new adult born into your house, while you use personal plots to convert the landed adults. It can take a decade or two, but it's totally reliable if you commit to it.

Wait, so you only need to be educating them when they turn 15 for that? Good to know. Still a lot of manual work. Obviously, doing that will screw up their education but not a bad idea if you specifically just want to make the coven.

You can also save a character finder filter to help you - just be aware that it'll persist into other games which can be confusing (why do i have a filter for some random nobody house's children?) so you should probably delete it once you're done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
This week's DD isn't patch notes but it is about various event chains being added in Friends and Foes, including a new mechanic for triggering and prosecuting blood feuds between houses.

That last one looks really cool and in general I like the idea of adding a lot to the interpersonal relations game in CK3 (especially because it's something that is always happening and chaotically driven by the AI characters, so it helps liven things up when there isn't a war to prosecute or a succession to plan) but am I the only one that's a bit weirded out that the DLC releases in two days and they still haven't told us how much they're charging?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

House feuds look fun, exactly the way to make random people significant to your character's lives that the game needs more of!

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Why is Reddit so mad about this dlc

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Lack of events was one of the main things lacking going from CK2 to 3 so an event pack seems like a good idea to me. Better than just having a couple trotted out piecemeal each DLC release that are related to DLC content. It was one of the things I wanted a lot in CK2 even.

For reddit I imagine it was "We've always gotten events free before and now they are nickel and diming us on them!" ignoring that an actual DLC centered on them is completely different.

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

Because it costs money. They think there should only be 2 kinds of DLC: full game-sized expansions and Byzantium flavor packs. Anything else is a money grab.

In all seriousness, I think they are pissed that Paradox raised the prices of flavor packs in order to have a decent price point for lesser DLCs like this one. I'm not sure how much of this is true, that's just what I've gleaned from looking over there. I go hot and cold with the CK community on Reddit, there is just so many "LOL Incest" memes I can take.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Bog bodies!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
The idea that cuckolding members of the enemy family increases your score is absolutely hilarious to me.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Oh Romeo, wherefore didn't you wait till she's married.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

The idea that cuckolding members of the enemy family increases your score is absolutely hilarious to me.

Even moreso that 'cuckolding' is now an official game term

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Dallan Invictus posted:

This week's DD isn't patch notes but it is about various event chains being added in Friends and Foes, including a new mechanic for triggering and prosecuting blood feuds between houses.

That last one looks really cool and in general I like the idea of adding a lot to the interpersonal relations game in CK3 (especially because it's something that is always happening and chaotically driven by the AI characters, so it helps liven things up when there isn't a war to prosecute or a succession to plan) but am I the only one that's a bit weirded out that the DLC releases in two days and they still haven't told us how much they're charging?

They have, it's 4.99.

No I don't know why they didn't just announce that when they announced the pack.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

It took a couple of days to announce the price of the pack which, combined with them raising the price on Fate of Ibera and Northern Lords, got people afraid Paradox was nickel and diming them.

Hellioning fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 6, 2022

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Gamers are always eager to embarrass themselves.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I'm about to go buy a sandwich for lunch and it's going to be more than $5.99. Never change (or grow up), Redditors.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah I'm upset that we're getting this and not new mechanics for non-feudal types (though improved AI will be a godsend), but it's real hard to argue that this isn't worth $5

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'll buy event packs for $5 for as long as they want to make 'em for me.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Does anyone here not play in speed 5? I imagine there's a more precise way to game, but I feel like speed five, pausing rapidly and often, is the way to go for me. That said: it doesn't feel like mechanically the game was optimized for speed 5.

For example, Fate of Iberia adds quite a few events that don't auto-pause the game and for leaving them up for even 2 seconds on speed 5, the game will timeout the event with negative repercussions.

Am I missing something by not playing on lower speeds?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

SlothBear posted:

Gamers are always eager to embarrass themselves.

People on reddit are either too young to have a bank account or are otherwise not allowed one by their caretakers.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Dorkopotamis posted:

Does anyone here not play in speed 5? I imagine there's a more precise way to game, but I feel like speed five, pausing rapidly and often, is the way to go for me. That said: it doesn't feel like mechanically the game was optimized for speed 5.

For example, Fate of Iberia adds quite a few events that don't auto-pause the game and for leaving them up for even 2 seconds on speed 5, the game will timeout the event with negative repercussions.

Am I missing something by not playing on lower speeds?

Speed 5 is for lunatics (and sprinting to 1453 for the achievement). Personally I play on speed 3 and try to pause as little as possible. I could buy an argument for playing on Speed 4 if you wanted to ensure you'd exceed your attentive capacity, or Speed 2 once they add the new events and you can play slow and form relationships with other characters, but not Speed 5, never Speed 5.

That said though, I'm pretty sure Speed 5 is just "as fast as your computer can run days" rather than any particular speed, so exactly how fast speed 5 is might vary significantly person to person; my Speed 5 is vastly too fast to do anything, armies just teleport.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I like Speed 4. When things are happening, that's what the space bar is for.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I’m on 3 like 90% of the time and jump up to 4 if I really have nothing going on. Trying to control armies on 4 can be tough some times as I can’t make changes fast enough if I’m trying to chase down an army (or avoid one).

For questions, this is only my second real run with a Muslim ruler. Is Clan tied to being a Muslim, or is it a culture thing? I’d like to go real feudal, but I don’t see any way to do that.

Another one, I just did Appoint Righteous Caliph. Is this handed down, or something each of my guys will need to do? I’m not sure it’s worth it as doing this also caused a bunch of my vassals to convert from Muladi to Ash’ari.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

PittTheElder posted:

Speed 5 is for lunatics (and sprinting to 1453 for the achievement). Personally I play on speed 3 and try to pause as little as possible. I could buy an argument for playing on Speed 4 if you wanted to ensure you'd exceed your attentive capacity, or Speed 2 once they add the new events and you can play slow and form relationships with other characters, but not Speed 5, never Speed 5.

That said though, I'm pretty sure Speed 5 is just "as fast as your computer can run days" rather than any particular speed, so exactly how fast speed 5 is might vary significantly person to person; my Speed 5 is vastly too fast to do anything, armies just teleport.

What's the bottleneck on CK3 usually? I got a RTX 3090 and an i7-8700K. I wouldn't say my armies are teleporting, but they are tough to manage at speed 5. I'll only drop it to 4 and micro if the enemy is somewhat even. Else I'll just siege and ignore the enemy, which doesn't necessitate dropping the speed.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Bird in a Blender posted:

For questions, this is only my second real run with a Muslim ruler. Is Clan tied to being a Muslim, or is it a culture thing? I’d like to go real feudal, but I don’t see any way to do that.

I think it's a title thing. If your top title is clan, it can be hard to go feudal. I think if you get your heir a feudal title that's higher than yours, so your titles they inherit wont become their primary, that can be a way to go feudal.

Though, I'm not really clear myself. I remember this being a problem for me the time I played as a clan.

EDIT: It might be more than hard to go from clan to feudal.

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 7, 2022

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Dorkopotamis posted:

What's the bottleneck on CK3 usually? I got a RTX 3090 and an i7-8700K. I wouldn't say my armies are teleporting, but they are tough to manage at speed 5. I'll only drop it to 4 and micro if the enemy is somewhat even. Else I'll just siege and ignore the enemy, which doesn't necessitate dropping the speed.
It's always CPU. The slowdown comes when some bullshit world war Crusade gets called and the AI suddenly needs to calculate where two hundred different armies are being raised and moving to.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Bottleneck is CPU, yeah.

Bird in a Blender posted:

It's sort of both, all Muslim rulers in the start of the game are Clan type rulers as far as I know, and if you are a Tribal Muslim you don't have the option to become Feudal, but only to Clan. But I think if you are already Feudal you can convert to Islam and stay Feudal.

There is no defined way to switch between Clan and Feudal in game. If you are Feudal and Islamic I have no idea what happens to opposing religion characters you grant counties to, nor what happens if you convert to a non Islamic religion and grant land away. But you can swing a trick to convert from Tribal to Feudal (conquer Feudal land, grant it to your unlanded player heir, give them a title equal in level to your top level title, die), so it's possible something like that could be done.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I just became an empire and now it seems I can't see dejure drift from duchies that are defacto a part of my empire, as it was previously represented as a kingdom (in the kingdoms menu). Is there something I am missing?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Bottleneck is CPU, yeah.

It's sort of both, all Muslim rulers in the start of the game are Clan type rulers as far as I know, and if you are a Tribal Muslim you don't have the option to become Feudal, but only to Clan. But I think if you are already Feudal you can convert to Islam and stay Feudal.

There is no defined way to switch between Clan and Feudal in game. If you are Feudal and Islamic I have no idea what happens to opposing religion characters you grant counties to, nor what happens if you convert to a non Islamic religion and grant land away. But you can swing a trick to convert from Tribal to Feudal (conquer Feudal land, grant it to your unlanded player heir, give them a title equal in level to your top level title, die), so it's possible something like that could be done.

Yeah. Unfortunately it's way harder to do Clan to Feudal that way (since anyone you grant land to also becomes Clan). If you really had to do it, I would swing Clan to Tribal (either by the trick or by owning a tribal holding, temporarily granting your castles away, and taking the "Embrace Tribalism" decision) and then Tribal to Feudal (either by the trick or by feudalization). I think becoming a temporal head of faith used to change your government, but not anymore

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I still can’t drift Sardinia into the Kingdom of Trinacrina, the same issue which made me quit last time!! So frustrating!!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

I like Speed 4. When things are happening, that's what the space bar is for.

100%. I might drop to 3 if I'm trying to micro armies, but otherwise 4. I do 5 if I know nothing interesting will happen for a couple of years, such as trying to create a witch coven, or waiting around for piety/prestige as a non-tribal/viking.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

I still can’t drift Sardinia into the Kingdom of Trinacrina, the same issue which made me quit last time!! So frustrating!!

As it is explained, De Jure drift seems relatively straight forward, but I don't think the rules are as they are written. I also think drift changes in a pretty noticeable way when you have an empire title above you.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Speed 5 is what I use when I'm just skipping forward to something happening. When I realize I've spent most of a ruler's life in Speed 5 is usually when I declare that dynasty finished.

Typically I'm only below Speed 4 either when things are really dicey or I'm in a war situation and timing down movement to the day or something like that.

The game does a pretty good job of pausing when you need to handle something, although I wish it was more customizable.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

So I probably shouldn't have but I went to the CK3 reddit because it got mentioned earlier and I found something very interesting. One of the devs posted a rework of Bohemond of Antioch:

https://old.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/x79guj/now_presenting_newer_sexier_bohemond/

Even more interesting is their post about why:

quote:

Rule 5: A few weeks ago I noticed this thread, highlighting a few notable characters. Down in the comments, /u/luka031, the submitter, bemoaned how Bohemond didn't exactly fit the description that Anna Komnene gave him:

The sight of him inspired admiration […] his stature was such that he towered almost a full cubit over the tallest men. He was slender of waist and flanks, with broad shoulders and chest […] he was neither taper of form nor heavily built and fleshy, but perfectly proportioned — one might say that he conformed to the Polyclitean ideal. […] The skin all over his body was very white, except for his face which was both white and red. His hair was lightish-brown […] Whether his beard was red or of any other colour I cannot say, for the razor had attacked it, leaving his chin smoother than any marble. […] His eyes were light-blue and gave some hint of the man’s spirit and dignity.

They then very politely asked me if we could maybe adjust Bohemond a little bit. I said no, because I am a capricious and mischievious spirit.

Nevertheless, the very next day I utilised my personal development time to create what I hope might be a suitable Bohemond. It's basically if you took Henry Cavill and melted him a bit. I hope this is to your collective satisfaction and sates at least some of the collective thirst for our Medieval Johnny Bravo.

New and Improved Bohemond is part of our Bastion update, coming alongside the Friends & Foes Event Pack on this Thursday, the 8th of September. Please read the Dev Diary for further info!

And in the comments further down they say:

quote:

If you read the Alexiad you'll probably get the impression that Anna was down bad for basically everyone. Here's her depiction of Maria of Alania, for example:

"For once before he had succeeded in providing for her, namely, after Michael Ducas' deposition, when he had advised the latter's successor, Nicephorus Botaniates, to take her in marriage, because she came from another country and had not a crowd of kinsfolk to give the Emperor trouble, and he had told Botaniates a great deal about her family and personal beauty, and often praised her to him. And certainly she was as slender of stature as a cypress, her skin was white as snow, and though her face was not a perfect round, yet her complexion was exactly like a spring flower or a rose. And what mortal could describe the radiance of her eyes? Her eyebrows were well-marked and red-gold, while her eyes were blue. Full many a painter's hand has successfully imitated the colours of the various flowers the seasons bring, but this queen's beauty, the radiance of her grace and the charm and sweetness of her manners surpassed all description and all art. Never did Apelles or Pheidias or any of the sculptors produce a statue so beautiful. The Gorgon's head was said to turn those who looked upon it into stone, but anyone who saw the Queen walking or met her unexpectedly, would have gaped and remained rooted to the spot, speechless, as if apparently robbed of his mind and wits. There was such harmony of limbs and features, such perfect relation of the whole to the parts and of the parts to the whole, as was never before seen in a mortal body, she was a living statue, a joy to all true lovers of the beautiful. In a word, she was an incarnation of Love come down to this terrestrial globe."

We stan a bisexual queen.

Not that those of us who have been pining away for an Alexiad start or Byzantine drama becoming more dynamic really need even more to get our hopes up but....well, there you go. :eng101:

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Dorkopotamis posted:

I just became an empire and now it seems I can't see dejure drift from duchies that are defacto a part of my empire, as it was previously represented as a kingdom (in the kingdoms menu). Is there something I am missing?

Pretty sure once you have an empire, duchies no longer de jure drift. It's the Kingdoms that drift. Not sure how long it takes for them to show up on the map with the countdown timer. I just noticed that as soon as the Kingdom next to me drifted in, the next one started at 99 years.

Edit: I also use speed 5 a bit - mostly during sieges or long army treks (love to put down factions in Russia when my raised troops just finished off one in India!) or when waiting for schemes/etc. Speed 3 when specifically waiting for stuff.

PancakeTransmission fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 7, 2022

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SlothBear posted:

So I probably shouldn't have but I went to the CK3 reddit because it got mentioned earlier and I found something very interesting. One of the devs posted a rework of Bohemond of Antioch:

https://old.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/x79guj/now_presenting_newer_sexier_bohemond/

Even more interesting is their post about why:

And in the comments further down they say:

Not that those of us who have been pining away for an Alexiad start or Byzantine drama becoming more dynamic really need even more to get our hopes up but....well, there you go. :eng101:

The All-sexy-ad.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I use speed 5 a lot in EU4 and did the same in CK2, but CK3 runs waaaay too fast on speed 5 than either of those two games did for me, to the point where it's virtually impossible to control.

Now if only Stellaris could run that fast on max speed in the late game...

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Speed 1 exists so that you can sit there looking at the screen getting bored. There's a chance you realize you can do something proactive and useful. You add that to your mental checklist and then go back playing at speed 5 like a sane person.

CapnAndy posted:

CK3 expansion model is really the best Paradox has ever done. You can ignore all the DLCs and get great updated mechanics, and a complete proper game. No QoL features behind paywall or anythibg.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SlothBear posted:

The current state of the Byzantines sucks, but at least we can be certain that there will be an appropriate game pack for them. Paradox know their audience, and Byzantophiles make up a significant part of it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Speed 4 all the time here. Unless I’m on a tricky war, than I might drop to 3

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

PancakeTransmission posted:

Pretty sure once you have an empire, duchies no longer de jure drift. It's the Kingdoms that drift. Not sure how long it takes for them to show up on the map with the countdown timer. I just noticed that as soon as the Kingdom next to me drifted in, the next one started at 99 years.

Edit: I also use speed 5 a bit - mostly during sieges or long army treks (love to put down factions in Russia when my raised troops just finished off one in India!) or when waiting for schemes/etc. Speed 3 when specifically waiting for stuff.

It's risky, but if I have to move my army a long ways, I tend to disband and then raise it again at a closer point. You pay the time penalty, but at least then you get a fresh army closer to the war. I've gotten caught doing this trick though as it took too long to re-raise the army, and you have to make sure to raise them far enough away that they won't get crushed while forming. Also helps if you don't need the full strength of your army to beat someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

When do viking adventurers stop coming?