Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

This one 3-3ed, oh well.

Loss 1 was a clear play error, I could have cast Keldon Strike Team on Turn 22 instead of unkicked chump Archangel (I guess I was probably fixated on gaining life and I wasn't thinking about the kicker text on Keldon strike team, a lot of kicker text is something I easily forget as being part of the card). I don't know if I could have blocked better on turn 19, I knew I was going to get blown out by a trick but I couldn't see any way to play around it.

Loss 2 just seemed like they had a more aggressive start and I had to mull to 6, didn't feel like I could have played better.

Loss 3, maybe I was too timid in attacking? I am always conscious of making bad attacks and holding back until I could just swing for lethal in one turn feels much more straightforward, but maybe there were turns I could have chipped in for damage so that I could have won before their flier pecked me to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

VictualSquid posted:

I feel like this deck might actually be a useful home for the recurring cultist guy.
The artifiact version would rather run another synthesizer or epicure, and he is too weak for the midrange version.
I'm also tinkering around with a Rakdos Sac Standard homebrew, and I decided to take advantage of the fact that Decayed makes you sacrifice the creature in question:

4 Cult Conscript
4 Unlucky Witness
4 Body Dropper
2 Weatherlight Compleated
2 Jadar, Ghoulcaller of Nephalia
3 Tainted Adversary
4 Bloodtithe Harvester
1 Braids, Arisen Nightmare
2 Garna, Bloodfist of Keld

4 Bone Splinters
2 Infernal Grasp
4 Ghoulish Procession

1 Takenuma, Abandoned Mire
1 Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance
9 Mountain
9 Swamp
1 Sulfurous Springs
3 Haunted Ridge

Cult Conscript and Ghoulish Procession work particularly nicely together.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 6, 2022

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I have ended so many creatures because nobody reads the text on Battlefly Swarm. That 1mana deathtouch gets them every single time. This was a good trade for shambling ghast.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Huxley posted:

Anyone looking for something new to do in Explorer, Gobs is being pretty kind to me over the past couple of days.

https://mtgazone.com/deck/explorer-boros-goblins-by-cunicoligoblin-56-mythic-september-2022-ranked-season/

The format's removal right now is VERY 1-for-1 heavy, so you're pretty resilient to Rakdos.

Huxley posted:

Probably 60% of the decks you play are trying to Fatal Push, untap, Graveyard Trespasser (or Fable or Greasefang etc). Snoop, Krenko and Warchief all get eaten up in this game, but Fodder and Outburst make their spot removal just worse enough that you can play a fair game.

I was having similar thoughts about the meta bubbling in the back of my head earlier this week. I was unrelatedly looking to resurrect an old archetype--here's my take on GW hardened scales in explorer:

I tinkered around with this in the bo3 play queue for a bit. the shaper's sanctuaries were in the board until I realized, wow, shaper's sanctuary is pretty cracked in this meta. I put them in the main, but then my brain looked at hardened scales and shaper's and immediately thought "enchantment synergy!" so I came up with this:

it's silly but it get wins in the play queue and it's fun. walker isn't synergistic with the enchantment side of the plan but it's stupid value. one thing I haven't seen a single bit of is uw control in the bo3 play queue so I have yet to test this against that. I'm a coward so I'm not doing ranked with this

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
My historic deck that I got into Mythic 900's with is better than ever with Karplusan Forest back in the game:

Deck
4 Minion of the Mighty (AFR) 156
4 Terror of Mount Velus (THB) 295
4 Chromium, the Mutable (M19) 214
4 Old Gnawbone (AFR) 197
4 Scale Up (MH1) 179
4 Reckless Charge (MH1) 144
4 Infuriate (STA) 41
3 Giant Growth (WAR) 162
4 Wild Shape (AFR) 212
4 Faithless Looting (STA) 38
4 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
4 Karplusan Forest (DMU) 250
4 Rootbound Crag (XLN) 256
4 Cragcrown Pathway (ZNR) 261
4 Temple of Abandon (THB) 244
1 Temple of the Dragon Queen (AFR) 260

A few games ago I mulliganed to 2 and won.

If you've got the combo you usually want to slam it ASAP, but I win just as many games from getting a Reckless Charge and waiting until the opponent taps out and I have 3 lands so I can pull a "Surprise, Motherfucker" haste the combo in one turn, as they sit there helplessly.

If you wanted to roll the dice, as it were, you could substitute the newer D20 dragons if you don't have all of these.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 6, 2022

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Am I a scrub or is Salvaged Manaworker an awesome include in this format? There aren't that many great two drops, its colorless, the 3 toughness is relevant and the mana fixing is great. I've found having one in my decks is super nice, almost always.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Mike N Eich posted:

Am I a scrub or is Salvaged Manaworker an awesome include in this format? There aren't that many great two drops, its colorless, the 3 toughness is relevant and the mana fixing is great. I've found having one in my decks is super nice, almost always.

Looks like the last thing on the planet I'd want to topdeck. Seems like a bandaid for not having enough rare WC for all the painlands.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mike N Eich posted:

It is very bad OP

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i would not say its bad but its certainly a card i dont id rather avoid playing. you really, really want your fixing to come from dual lands. but manaworker essentially gives you perfect mana so in a pinch it can salvage a deck that would otherwise not work

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Mike N Eich posted:

I've had to play it in Sealed and one or two drafts but I don't like doing it, there's just very little room for cards that don't contribute value or synergy.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Mike N Eich posted:

If you're really desperate for mana and you didn't see the lands you needed it's endurable fixing, but no it's not great.

e: lol yeah what everyone else said

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mike N Eich posted:

ur a scrub. lmao

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

brugroffil posted:

love sealed, nothing but lovely unplayable rares

i signed up for hte phantom sealed midweek thign and 2 of the rares were the 5 mana lotus thta etb tapped and the 1BR guy who taps to add mana for dragons and lets you cast dragons from the graveyard. i didnt get any dragons lol

wei
Jul 27, 2006
If anyone has any interesting sealed pools or just want an opinion please feel free post them, I need practice for an RCQ this weekend.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This one 3-3ed, oh well.

Loss 1 was a clear play error, I could have cast Keldon Strike Team on Turn 22 instead of unkicked chump Archangel (I guess I was probably fixated on gaining life and I wasn't thinking about the kicker text on Keldon strike team, a lot of kicker text is something I easily forget as being part of the card). I don't know if I could have blocked better on turn 19, I knew I was going to get blown out by a trick but I couldn't see any way to play around it.

Loss 2 just seemed like they had a more aggressive start and I had to mull to 6, didn't feel like I could have played better.

Loss 3, maybe I was too timid in attacking? I am always conscious of making bad attacks and holding back until I could just swing for lethal in one turn feels much more straightforward, but maybe there were turns I could have chipped in for damage so that I could have won before their flier pecked me to death.

Just reviewing loss two:
Mulligan decision - you put back a resolute reinforcements instead of Benalish Sleeper. You have three sources of black to get the kicker online, which means 3 draws to get it (if that was the plan), which gives you a 27% chance to draw and hit it on curve. You are also down a card due to the mulligan, which to me, means that you want to keep as many potential two for ones in your hand as possible. Going 1 for 1 is probably a losing proposition because you're down on cards already. You have to leverage whatever resources you have to try and make up that card disadvantage.

segment 48 - you chump block with your 1/1 to prevent 3 damage, going from 17 to 14 instead of 17 to 11. How are you going to retake the board with what is in your hand (prayer of binding and lightning strike) if you make this block? I agree, your opponent had a bonkers deck, but even when it's a blowout, it's always good to re-evaluate your play.

It's impossible to know, but if you have the resolute reinforcements (which would have left a 1/1 if they bolted it) instead of the benalish sleeper + the 1/1 that you threw away in the chump block, that potentially gives you enough to threaten an advantageous block against their 3/2. If they use the gaea's might during their attack, you can lightning strike in response to 2 for 1 them, and maybe make it close.

They had an absolute bonkers deck, and drew three lightning strikes, which is miserable to see. But that doesn't mean you can't evaluate the decisions you made in the game.

I acknowledge that it's easy to see the line after it's all said and done, but

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

so what emerging standard decks are people seeing/playing? Day9's Jund deck is both ridiculously fun and also ridiculously strong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8Tqz0jVvI8&hd=1

Deck
3 Forest
2 Swamp
2 Cut Down
2 Mountain
2 Sulfurous Springs
2 Karplusan Forest
3 Liliana of the Veil
4 Infernal Grasp
3 Haunted Ridge
2 Sorin the Mirthless
3 Deathcap Glade
4 Fable of the Mirror-Breaker
4 Teachings of the Kirin
1 Boseiju, Who Endures
1 Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance
3 Tenacious Underdog
4 Titan of Industry
4 Riveteers Overlook
4 Ziatora's Proving Ground
3 The Cruelty of Gix
4 Soul of Windgrace

Sideboard
2 Duress
1 The Meathook Massacre
2 Pilfer
2 Squee, Dubious Monarch
2 Cut Down
3 Graveyard Trespasser
1 The Meathook Massacre
2 Riveteers Charm

I'm sure it'll get tweaked and upgraded over time but it's a strong list right out the gate for the new standard.

This deck is very fun and cool and good

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Horace Kinch posted:

I have ended so many creatures because nobody reads the text on Battlefly Swarm. That 1mana deathtouch gets them every single time. This was a good trade for shambling ghast.

My favorite draft so far ended up with 4x Battlefly Swarm, 4x Uborg Repossession, 3x Phyrexian Rager, and 1x Sheoldred. You can guess what my gameplan was.

2 out of the 3 matches I lost were because someone stole the Sheoldred. One of which I could've prevented, but that card makes you cocky in limited.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
When this deck pops, it pops hard.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
On news of the other MTG digital game, Spellslingers is getting its first set update.

https://magicspellslingers-support.wizards.com/hc/en-us/articles/9136695704724-Patch-Notes-v1-01-00

Overall impressions after 50+ hours - it's pretty great!

F2P seems pretty decent so far (packs have duplicate protection, you'll get full set of commons at 40 packs (and you get around 1 pack a day).

Competition is pretty fierce and sweaty.

The game is more social than MTGA with clans/teams and team daily quests and chatrooms.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there should probably be a dedicated spellslingers thread if people are actually playing it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Drewjitsu posted:

Just reviewing loss two:
Mulligan decision - you put back a resolute reinforcements instead of Benalish Sleeper. You have three sources of black to get the kicker online, which means 3 draws to get it (if that was the plan), which gives you a 27% chance to draw and hit it on curve. You are also down a card due to the mulligan, which to me, means that you want to keep as many potential two for ones in your hand as possible. Going 1 for 1 is probably a losing proposition because you're down on cards already. You have to leverage whatever resources you have to try and make up that card disadvantage.

segment 48 - you chump block with your 1/1 to prevent 3 damage, going from 17 to 14 instead of 17 to 11. How are you going to retake the board with what is in your hand (prayer of binding and lightning strike) if you make this block? I agree, your opponent had a bonkers deck, but even when it's a blowout, it's always good to re-evaluate your play.

It's impossible to know, but if you have the resolute reinforcements (which would have left a 1/1 if they bolted it) instead of the benalish sleeper + the 1/1 that you threw away in the chump block, that potentially gives you enough to threaten an advantageous block against their 3/2. If they use the gaea's might during their attack, you can lightning strike in response to 2 for 1 them, and maybe make it close.

They had an absolute bonkers deck, and drew three lightning strikes, which is miserable to see. But that doesn't mean you can't evaluate the decisions you made in the game.

I acknowledge that it's easy to see the line after it's all said and done, but

Yeah I do think I probably didn't fully appreciate the value of 2 bodies off a flash spell besides "more creatures to Charge" and "sac fodder." I am guessing my line of thinking was the potential upside of 3 power Enlisting, but: in terms of upside that doesn't really get me anywhere, and I suppose if I'm mulling on the draw and they're at 7 on the play I should expect that I will be on the back foot

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I do think I probably didn't fully appreciate the value of 2 bodies off a flash spell besides "more creatures to Charge" and "sac fodder." I am guessing my line of thinking was the potential upside of 3 power Enlisting, but: in terms of upside that doesn't really get me anywhere, and I suppose if I'm mulling on the draw and they're at 7 on the play I should expect that I will be on the back foot

I mean, they drew three loving lightning strikes, that's going to be a hard game to come back from. Trying to see where you could have squeezed out incremental advantage is a good skill to develop.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i take it back, this format sucks. 3-3 with Jeskai Spells and all 6 opponents were on 5 color Domain. :mad:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

precision posted:

i take it back, this format sucks. 3-3 with Jeskai Spells and all 6 opponents were on 5 color Domain. :mad:

I think this format rocks, I managed to trophy in silver/gold bo1 with a 4 colour jank pile:
https://www.17lands.com/deck/06e598120b2b4a918c30ec5582acc0bf/1

And I'm currently 23-7 in bo1 and 2-1 in bo3.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sam Black's current deck seems good

Edit: later he went 1-3 with his own Archangel Boros deck... Hmm

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 7, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Event #13

https://www.17lands.com/draft/dec895d411494ba9ac396498085ab26d
Looking forward to playing this one.

Do I cut Cruelty of Gix to make my mana easier? I could have gotten a second Vortex, which is both +1% and in the core color... after I committed to Danitha and picked up white as the filler I should have realized I couldn't support it but got wowed by the fancy rare. (Like with Braids in a previous draft I need to learn not to be tempted by double pips just because I have a splash lined up...)

It probably would be more disciplined to play some other dorky two-drop or another Timely Interference I guess. I bumped up Shore Up and Take up the Shield in my valuation since I am reliant on bomby bombs

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 7, 2022

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD

thespaceinvader posted:

dropping sheoldred turn 4 breaks basically any aggro strategy that doesn't have destroy/exile based removal or a 5/x body, but then, so do most board wipes so eh. Bo1 aggro always has bad matches, doubly so on the draw.

I had a game tonight where I removed it THREE times from the board, basically playing every card in my hands towards that end, and dude got it back from the graveyard every time until I just killed myself with draws, lol. The deck was essentially just sheoldred and every recursion option.

Bad beats! Good card!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

wei posted:

If anyone has any interesting sealed pools or just want an opinion please feel free post them, I need practice for an RCQ this weekend.

Here's what I had, let me know what you ended up with

https://sealeddeck.tech/s1Heia0bld

I put together this after 10 minutes of poking around https://sealeddeck.tech/HtgPHRBXsd

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that moment when you hamfist the shield counter selection and make The Specialest Rhino Token

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Draft 2: What am I Even Doing Lol?

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

Here's what I had, let me know what you ended up with

https://sealeddeck.tech/s1Heia0bld

I put together this after 10 minutes of poking around https://sealeddeck.tech/HtgPHRBXsd

This was a really interesting one, thanks!

My initial thoughts were to go Green https://sealeddeck.tech/UxBF4PyO98. Quirion Beastcaller and Guardian of New Benalia (and Squee!) are the top 3 OH WR cards on 17lands, so you potentially have a very explosive early game. The manabase is a bit sketchier but there should be enough early plays with 14 W or G sources. Relic's fixing is good enough and it's cute with Zar Ojanen. I also end up with less interaction but it's still a decent amount? Possible that Lightning Strike should be second Geyser because we have so many blue sources.

Also looked at this rough WBx build https://sealeddeck.tech/oot1qEZSdf because there's a decent mill package and Bone Splinters there but I think WGx and UWx are both better.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

fridge corn posted:

show the rest of your pool

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Unless there's absolutely nothing else playable in your pool cut the white cards

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

flatluigi posted:

show the rest of your pool

Retcon posted:

Unless there's absolutely nothing elses 23playable in your pool cut the white cards

So something like this??

The mythic rare sphinx was a total p2p1 punt but after that I started to look for domain payoffs and it totally trainwrecked my draft I think. Should have just stuck with the green black recursion theme I started with.

Help me unfuck my mana. Took the green/blue dual out but left the white ones in for the keldon strike team kicker and the few domain payoffs I've got, but should probably boot those as well?

Man it's real easy to get in the weeds in these drafts

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

wei posted:

i have this sealed pool that i opened for the midweek phantom sealed thing with two immediately dead-feeling rares/mythics before i even looked at the rest of my cards (timeless lotus and rivaz of the claw (cos i didnt open any dragons)) if you want to have a look

https://sealeddeck.tech/hOiozlEwUB

i ended up building this out of it and i think it took me 5 matches total to get the 3 wins? there is probably something better in there but im still very fresh coming back to the game and also was trying to build it on the mobile client lol

https://sealeddeck.tech/ULKFNWc7IC

e: you can tell i was doing it in the mobile client cos i for some reason ran it with 42 cards lol

quite stretched out fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Sep 7, 2022

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I know I don't ever offer help (thats because I'm terrible at Limited BUT I TRY!)

I have this sealed pool that I think might be the hottest piece of poo poo ever, I'm having trouble even trying to figure out what direction to go. Could anyone please offer me advice?

1 Clockwork Drawbridge
1 Knight of Dawn's Light
1 Samite Herbalist
3 Argivian Cavalier
2 Charismatic Vanguard
2 Citizen's Arrest
1 Love Song of Night and Day
1 Mesa Cavalier
1 Stall for Time
1 Shore Up
2 Timely Interference
3 Battlewing Mystic
1 Impede Momentum
1 Impulse
1 Negate
1 Protect the Negotiators
1 Academy Wall
1 Tolarian Geyser
1 Voda Sea Scavenger
1 The Phasing of Zhalfir
2 Bone Splinters
1 Knight of Dusk's Shadow
1 Toxic Abomination
1 Eerie Soultender
1 Phyrexian Rager
1 Shadow Prophecy
1 Extinguish the Light
1 Monstrous War-Leech
1 Phyrexian Warhorse
1 Tattered Apparition
2 Writhing Necromass
1 Hammerhand
1 Fires of Victory
1 Yavimaya Steelcrusher
1 Flowstone Kavu
1 Keldon Strike Team
1 Coalition Warbrute
1 Hurler Cyclops
1 Jaya's Firenado
1 Meria's Outrider
2 Molten Monstrosity
1 Llanowar Stalker
1 Floriferous Vinewall
1 Snarespinner
1 Vineshaper Prodigy
2 Bog Badger
1 Barkweave Crusher
1 Magnigoth Sentry
1 Defiler of Vigor
1 Linebreaker Baloth
1 Mossbeard Ancient
1 Yavimaya Sojourner
1 Radha, Coalition Warlord
1 Elas il-Kor, Sadistic Pilgrim
1 Uurg, Spawn of Turg
1 Bortuk Bonerattle
2 Astor, Bearer of Blades
1 Inscribed Tablet
1 Vanquisher's Axe
1 Walking Bulwark
1 Salvaged Manaworker
1 Golden Argosy
1 Shield-Wall Sentinel
1 Timeless Lotus
1 Idyllic Beachfront
2 Contaminated Aquifer
1 Wooded Ridgeline
1 Radiant Grove
1 Haunted Mire
1 Sacred Peaks
1 Crystal Grotto

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Jesus getting a bad pool in this event sucks balls.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
can you even quit and rejoin for a new pile or are you just screwed

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

I know I don't ever offer help (thats because I'm terrible at Limited BUT I TRY!)

I have this sealed pool that I think might be the hottest piece of poo poo ever, I'm having trouble even trying to figure out what direction to go. Could anyone please offer me advice?

I'm confident your base bg in this pile, the question is whether to add blue or white. I think blue edges out just so with phasing of zhalfir and three mystics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

quite stretched out posted:

can you even quit and rejoin for a new pile or are you just screwed

the second one