Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

evilpicard posted:

Wear a PSG shirt to work

Start making references and ask him plumbing questions, ask surprised at his confusion :mario:

old bean factory posted:

Reported a lot of posts today for severe expat Italiano racism. Let's do better, gang!

It's too late for me, the dark is closing in...

BABY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

honda whisperer posted:

Don't touch the knives but tell him you sharpened them for him as an apology.

This is just plain evil.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'll say it again but "punishing EVERYONE when it's one or two people loving up" and every god damned place I've worked at the last 10 or 15 years does this. It demoralizes the ones playing by the rules and elevates that gently caress ups to to the level of those doing a good job. Firing the one or two people that everyone knows are goofing off would probably make the other 15 or 20 people grateful, say "finally" and realize that management is on it. But for some reason, now we're all being bitched out in a meeting because Jimmy and Elaine can't get their poo poo together.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
As is typically explained, targeted management requires confidence and competence.
Blanket responses are much easier for the managers to implement and administer.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

I'll say it again but "punishing EVERYONE when it's one or two people loving up" and every god damned place I've worked at the last 10 or 15 years does this. It demoralizes the ones playing by the rules and elevates that gently caress ups to to the level of those doing a good job. Firing the one or two people that everyone knows are goofing off would probably make the other 15 or 20 people grateful, say "finally" and realize that management is on it. But for some reason, now we're all being bitched out in a meeting because Jimmy and Elaine can't get their poo poo together.

That management style is total loving bullshit. It's been interesting to finally work somewhere that deals with issues with something other than a scolding. I think there are some issues to the approach in some ways, but it's leagues better than gathering in a room for the owner to yell in everyone's faces.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
But it worked for all those scenes of boot camp they saw in the movies!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

But it worked for all those scenes of boot camp they saw in the movies!

I am a well oiled machine! Hoo-ha!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
This is my keyboard, there are many like it but this one is mine.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

I spent the last 3 years at my job dealing with this.

We had folks who would literally respond to requests for them to do their job with 'sorry, I have to poopie' or 'sorry, I forgot about the noon call I accepted with Large Customer and went to lunch at 1130'

The solution we decided on from the ones of us who were performing was to just lower our work to the level of the poo poo birds.

MGMT had made it clear that performance of our job duties had zero impact on our continued employment. So we just ignored the work or found excuses not to do the job anyway. Still got the same 2.5-3% raise and "thanks for all your hard work" every year anyway.

I quit for a six figure raise and never looked back.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

You know what to do

Machai fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 7, 2022

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

goatface posted:

More like "Have you seen my stapler?"

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

Everett False posted:

There is a mystery room in our building. The tech guy came to set up our new access points to help expand network coverage (read: I would like some WiFi in the break room please) but ran into some problems because. Well. The building was put together by the military for an air force base in the 1940s, and all the solid concrete walls don't work well with wireless anything. It is also a bizarre maze of a building.

I'd ask if this was in Indiana, but it sounds like your experience is a lot... cleaner. About a decade ago, after my husband lost his job in the LAST recession, he took a pizza delivery driver job to make ends meet, and since he was so good at it with a ton of food service experience, the parent company wooed him to management with promises of more money, less time, and *benefits.

It was a HUGE mistake since A -- they lied about the "more money, less time" and B -- the *benefits ended up being poo poo. We weren't surprised, just very, very disappointed. BUT, all of that distracts from the point of my post which was the first place they sent him to manage at.

The first big concern was that they gave him this place with 2 days warning and the caveat that he would have to find and hire new staff for this location since EVERYONE walked off the job a few days before. He was able to pull in some part time workers from other stores, and when arriving at the place, discovered the key he had was too worn down to open the doors. Red Flag 1. He finally gets in, and discovers that when everyone walked about a week earlier, they had done zero cleaning or putting stuff away. And he was expected to be opened for lunch rush in an hour. Red Flag 2. The third part of this got really wild.

The building, like yours, was built in the 1940s. It's one of the stereotypical small town storefronts that you find scattered throughout the midwest. At the time, the chain pizza place shared the building with a couple other stores, and it had a basement where they used to store the coal to heat the building, and the pizza place was the only store with access to that basement door, which was always locked. The kitchen also apparently shared a door to one of the other stores, but it was kept locked for safety and cleanliness purposes. All the electricity for all the stores and all the wiring for the internet was routed underneath the building and through the basement. Understandable, I guess. But when half the building began experiencing electrical troubles, obviously something needed to happen. Cue the electrician needing to come in and go to the basement.

It took a couple of days of coordination, but they finally got a key to open the door to the basement and got the electrician in to go down there. The husband said it was an absolute nightmare down there. There were standing pools of brackish water, and a worn channel with a small stream of water flowing through it. The hallway was lit by naked bulbs hanging from the ceiling like some scene from a horror, slasher flick, and there were several doorways simply covered in plywood. Not to mention the very obvious rodent and insect infestation down there. The electrician apparently commented on how it wasn't as bad as usual since it had been a dry summer.

When my husband brought up concerns about the basement, the infestations, and, you know, code inspections, he was told not to worry about it, just focus on his job. He was transferred to another store a month later since they also had everyone walk off the job. It was a much nicer, newer store. He warned the incoming manager about the basement, but chain food managers have that whole soul-death thing going on, understandably. The new manager did not care. They were just there to get the paycheck. Eventually, I was able to get into a position where he could resign as a manager and go back to delivery driving (where the tips were better pay anyhow). Now, he's out of food service, thank god. But, where he works now is in the same town, so he still does drive past that place. He said, not too long ago, the whole building was empty and boarded up.

It probably is a haven for murder hobos now.

* -- TBD and kick in after 3 months.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

toplitzin posted:

I spent the last 3 years at my job dealing with this.

We had folks who would literally respond to requests for them to do their job with 'sorry, I have to poopie' or 'sorry, I forgot about the noon call I accepted with Large Customer and went to lunch at 1130'

The solution we decided on from the ones of us who were performing was to just lower our work to the level of the poo poo birds.

MGMT had made it clear that performance of our job duties had zero impact on our continued employment. So we just ignored the work or found excuses not to do the job anyway. Still got the same 2.5-3% raise and "thanks for all your hard work" every year anyway.

I quit for a six figure raise and never looked back.

I worked for a defense contractor that just drew from the government for every person working. Our offices were unionized as well, not only did it make no sense to fire someone (that's less income for the company), the union would go to the mat even if you violated the contract to make sure you kept your job. There were no metrics or performance reviews or anything like that in the department and a large number of the people just didn't do anything. One of the supervisors had a cube she called "sleepy hallow" because her four people in there would be straight up snoring most of the day. Their raise was timed and mandated by the union contract, and if you worked extra hard you could get an "out of turn" raise; it was the same increase you were due, but several months earlier. There was zero incentive to perform or do anything beyond the bare minimum because you were eventually getting that raise no matter what. I had to get out of there because I thought I was getting too complacent and would never be able to work a real job again.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Working management in the fast food end of the food service industry is straight up a scam at least half the time. Retail too but I’m not personally familiar with that. A lot of the time you get like 1.25x the pay that the person on the register gets, and a poo poo ton more responsibility, AND limited room for advancement.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Escape From Noise posted:

Boss talked to me to get my side of the story. Everyone seems to understand. Also he told me I'm getting bonuses during bonus season!

Have you learnt nothing here?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

McGavin posted:

More like "Have you seen my stapler?"

This is my rifle this is my staplegun.
This is for meeting quarterly metrics at a level of Satisfactory or above, this is for fun.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
I'm a union engineer in utility ops for a major metro. I've been asking my stewards and management to consider flexible work arrangements for over a decade because of my lovely commute in this major metro. Despite non-ops engineers having 4-day workweeks, other experimental schedules, remote work etc, ops senior leadership has flatly denied requests for us because of operational requirements. I personally do not have duties inside our secure environment or inside the air gap, I send emails and access corporate intranet resources for my poo poo. My job is 100% compatible with full remote.

March 2020, I'm riding the subway and everything is looking like 28 Days Later. Homeless people wrapped in garbage bags as PPE, I'm sitting there like Ralph Wiggum "I'm in danger." Company finally gets its head out of its rear end and institutes full remote work (presumably leadership became aware of their own mortality). This continued for 2 years, and was the best sustained time in my entire adult life. Like a 2 year vacation, but while making $75/hr for the first 40, then 1.5x overtime, 2.5x holiday. It should go without saying, but morale was fantastic, productivity probably the best I've seen in my entire career, and in general everyone worked really hard to demonstrate that remote work was viable.

Several times over the course of the pandemic the company attempted 'return to office,' but would immediately get owned by covid variants spiking infection rates. We're an essential service and risk management trumps everything. Finally this summer they executed the return, I'm back commuting a few days a week. It is exactly as bad as I remembered. Also caught Covid IMMEDIATELY after being forced back into the office, despite ducking it for years. This is all so incredibly stupid.

With this hybrid model, people picked their schedules for what days to be in office. I am assuming this is all to hit some nebulous % attendance goal (probably because of local political pressure). As a result, nobody is even in the office at the same time as their coworkers. So you go to the office, just to get on Teams and have meetings with people who are remote. There's not enough desk/cubicle space, nor conference rooms! This is all so loving dumb!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

frest posted:

I'm a union engineer in utility ops for a major metro. I've been asking my stewards and management to consider flexible work arrangements for over a decade because of my lovely commute in this major metro. Despite non-ops engineers having 4-day workweeks, other experimental schedules, remote work etc, ops senior leadership has flatly denied requests for us because of operational requirements. I personally do not have duties inside our secure environment or inside the air gap, I send emails and access corporate intranet resources for my poo poo. My job is 100% compatible with full remote.

March 2020, I'm riding the subway and everything is looking like 28 Days Later. Homeless people wrapped in garbage bags as PPE, I'm sitting there like Ralph Wiggum "I'm in danger." Company finally gets its head out of its rear end and institutes full remote work (presumably leadership became aware of their own mortality). This continued for 2 years, and was the best sustained time in my entire adult life. Like a 2 year vacation, but while making $75/hr for the first 40, then 1.5x overtime, 2.5x holiday. It should go without saying, but morale was fantastic, productivity probably the best I've seen in my entire career, and in general everyone worked really hard to demonstrate that remote work was viable.

Several times over the course of the pandemic the company attempted 'return to office,' but would immediately get owned by covid variants spiking infection rates. We're an essential service and risk management trumps everything. Finally this summer they executed the return, I'm back commuting a few days a week. It is exactly as bad as I remembered. Also caught Covid IMMEDIATELY after being forced back into the office, despite ducking it for years. This is all so incredibly stupid.

With this hybrid model, people picked their schedules for what days to be in office. I am assuming this is all to hit some nebulous % attendance goal (probably because of local political pressure). As a result, nobody is even in the office at the same time as their coworkers. So you go to the office, just to get on Teams and have meetings with people who are remote. There's not enough desk/cubicle space, nor conference rooms! This is all so loving dumb!

The rumor mill on my team, and confirmed to me by my wife, is that the office is going to start expecting people back in 2-4 days a week. Saving grace here is that in one of our many failed attempts to bring people back is that the decision was made to give everyone a choice between three statuses. You could be on site full time, hybrid or fully remote. Now, the downside is that they changed what Hybrid was. Initially, it was supposed to be the option to work on site sometimes, so if you needed to visit the health center or use the company gym you would still have access to the site, but there was no obligation to be there any number of days. You would also secure a desk you could use whenever that way. Remote people were basically going to show up once or twice a year and would have to scramble for stations when they did work in the office. I chose Hybrid back then because I figured I would eventually want to be in the office a couple times a year and have a dedicated desk for those days. In the newest incarnation of the system, made after they closed the registration, Hybrid got changed to the above 2-4 days in office thing. I'm moving 4 hours from the office in the next month or so and now have to navigate the systems to get rebranded as fully remote before this causes issues.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Lol my company sent the "get back in the office" email and there's a survey going out in 2 weeks.

I've got an interview tomorrow so gently caress 'em.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

BiggerBoat posted:

Why be an adult and have a difficult conversation with someone and then maybe have to feel bad about it when you can just be an emotionally lazy dipshit and try to fix your problem by getting the other employees to bully them? That will surely motivate the person whose livelihood literally depends on them not loving up this task that they are still loving up!

Just got done with 6 years of dealing with this cowardly bullshit

A Stupid Baby fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 8, 2022

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Outrail posted:

Have you learnt nothing here?

Eh. We'll see. It's not like I'm putting in extra work or anything for it and bonuses here are timed.

Edit: Also staying on past that point already for visa renewal reasons.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 8, 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

goatface posted:

I can take all the keycaps off my keyboard, clean out the breadcrumbs, then reassemble, all while blindfolded.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Eh. We'll see. It's not like I'm putting in extra work or anything for it and bonuses here are timed.

Edit: Also staying on past that point already for visa renewal reasons.

i didn't realize you were here on a visa, no wonder you're so abused :(

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Lol my company sent the "get back in the office" email and there's a survey going out in 2 weeks.

I've got an interview tomorrow so gently caress 'em.

heck yes

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

~Coxy posted:

I can take all the keycaps off my keyboard, clean out the breadcrumbs, then reassemble, all while blindfolded.

Breadcrumbs?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

insta posted:

i didn't realize you were here on a visa, no wonder you're so abused :(

Overall I'm treated pretty well. It's probably one of the better places I've worked. For instance, I can show up and leave whenever I want, so long as I deliver on product, and my schedule is pretty light already, so on days where I don't have much going on I'll just show up at noon and leave at 5. The head chef is a prick, but I barely have to interact with him. I'm probably happier here than most places I've worked. I have some minor complaints, and also I'm good at complaining. That dumb interaction with the head chef just really set me off. When things have gotten abusive at previous situations fortunately, I've always managed an exit strategy.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

When things have gotten abusive at previous situations fortunately, I've always managed an exit strategy.

Burn it all to the ground, move to Japan and become a brewer?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Outrail posted:

Burn it all to the ground, move to Japan and become a brewer?

The place I left near Seattle wasn't too bad. Pay wasn't great, but I really loved working four tens, and they were really good about giving time off for holidays. I usually worked on national holidays and got a compensated day off the week after, with the exception of Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year (which I liked because I'd be able to travel and do things at after the rush so things weren't as crowded or expensive). I also didn't really like living in Seattle, so even without an opportunity in Japan I probably wasn't going to be there very long-term. Moving back to Japan was the plan. It's had it's ups and downs, but that was true of the industry and work in general for me in the US. That mobile canning line job in Portland was the worst and getting fired from it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. That job introduced me to panic attacks so good riddance!

First job here in Japan was a mess for a lot of reasons and the job I took to get out of it ended with a lot of harassment. It was decent enough at first and allowed me to really develop and hone my abilities. The owner showed he was pretty nuts early on though, so I knew I'd eventually have to jump ship, and by the time he'd let the mask slip enough that I knew I was gonna have to get out ASAP. I think I still have a lot of weird trauma I'm working through with that job where sometimes I'll assume the worst. Like poo poo was dicey here for a while but since the section head took over managing the brewery after my blowout with the restaurant manager things improved a lot. We're scheduling things out more and I have more input on what we make, and there's way less tension.

This place has actually been pretty good at dealing with conflicts and involves talking about issues in a calm manner. At that other place, and the place I worked at in Wakayama for four months, the norm was getting a stern talking to or getting yelled at by the owner. I don't have as much experience in the US, and I'm not sure that my experience is even the norm in Japan. I think a large part of the problem was I've worked at a few places owned by people with little to no beer or brewing knowledge, and the type of person who thinks they're gonna make it big in the craft beer thing because it's blowing up right now are the same kind of people who open a restaurant because they found "the perfect spot" and have no restaurant or service experience so they'll just hire the right people. How hard could it be? I don't think it's an issue unique to Japan, but possibly a bit more pronounced here as craft beer has really started to take off more recently.

That turned into a whole novel so,
TLDR: Craft brewery work is a land of contrasts.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 8, 2022

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

My production engineer keeps causing a recurring problem and it is a head-scratcher and eye-roller, especially considering his constant CHIP SHORTAGE LEAD TIMES emails.

So we hand-label panels with circuitboards on them with a QR code and sequential serial number for the robot inspector and the labeler that prints a QR for each individual board.
Sometimes we buy panels at cost from the manufacturer with skips, those would be boards that were manufactured incorrectly and can't past integrity test at the factory, so they destroy the board and we buy them for, "penny's on the dollar." It's a cost-saving make-work deal.
The problem with having a panel with skips (some panels have 2 boards, 1 skip; some have 30 boards and 1-5 skips), is that for the chip mounter to know it needs to look at the board fiducials (which are covered with stickers on skips), in addition to the panel fiducials: it has to be told that there are skips.
If you label a stack of 80 panels, put the skips in the middle, and write all the relevant info EXCEPT indicating that there are skips in the order... The machine places parts, poo poo runs through the oven and becomes scrap, and nobody notices until multiples get through, unless someone is just constantly watching the screen printer (2 people working on a line means this is not possible).

He knows all this, because he is the loving process engineer, but continues to do it because he's so disconnected from actual process at this point. I mean, I know the place is closing down and everyone is checked out, but jesus loving christ it's really basic poo poo that he's just throwing to the wind that rolls downhill.

A few of us made some comments to some people regarding CAPA and this poo poo if he's going to be labeling all the panels from now on, because if it's the wrong side of the board it's... one side may be worth $5 in RM and the other $45 in RM, and that's $5-45 eaten out of an operating budget that has a hard end for production in March.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 8, 2022

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Have never posted here but lurked and laughed and sympathized with you all. Now I have some prime dumb poo poo my boss did.

I work as a teacher. Our school uses Microsoft Teams to organize our classes for online work and, if necessary, at-home learning (we started doing this during the pandemic, of course). I upload every lesson I make on my single class team that I update every semester by removing old students and adding new ones. I have used this single team for the past three years, uploading material for references for new students as well as updating existing work.

My principal asked us to make her an owner of the class/team alongside us teachers, and I had done that already last year because she asked then too. Today, to organize her own team list and prune old teams for her organizational records, she went ahead and deleted teams from before August of this year... one of them being my very active, very file-heavy team full of student work, notes, and files.

Now I had to follow up with her asking help from the IT help desk to undo this massive fuckup. Who the hell goes deleting teacher-created teams and work without even bothering to inform them you're doing that? And her defense was "other teachers deleted their teams or made new ones with a year/month on them." That's how THEY chose to organize their teams, not me, I wanted everything in one place. I didn't expect making my goddamn boss an admin of the team means they'd go and unilaterally delete everything to make their workspace easier! gently caress!

I don't know what I'm going to do in the short term if it turns out that the team, or to be more precise, the many files, are unrecoverable. I am going to have to at least make several new documents for next week before class starts on Monday, and definitely a lesson in backing up everything.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

that should be recoverable within 30 days of being deleted!

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Indeed! Good news, the help desk was able to undo the deletion. Files are back, and most importantly, backed up. Never again trusting all my documents to THE CLOUD so long as another person has the delete button at their fingertips.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

It went well! Hopefully I'll be able to sit down with HR next week and negotiate.

I'm getting my extra week off vacation in October and need to make sure that clock won't reset, plus pay and all that good stuff.

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
My work never charged me medical premium for 3 years and just found out today. So there goes 10 percent of my paycheck from now on...

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Prince Reggie K posted:

My work never charged me medical premium for 3 years and just found out today. So there goes 10 percent of my paycheck from now on...

I had an old job where i transferred from a state with high state income tax to a state with none. But then my first hitch was 6 months on the road so i never saw a paystub. I didnt know what my new "base" pay was during that time because i was billing 60, 70 hours per week.

No one had told our poor payroll guy (they were sunsetting him from his previous accounting duties and just gave him payroll until he'd retire) that I'd moved. So i paid Oregon a poo poo ton of money that I'd much rather had earning interest.

Also trickled into medical premiums being different, smaller things like that.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Olive Branch posted:

Indeed! Good news, the help desk was able to undo the deletion. Files are back, and most importantly, backed up. Never again trusting all my documents to THE CLOUD so long as another person has the delete button at their fingertips.

Remove your boss' permissions, make them request for temporary supervised access every time.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Olive Branch posted:

Getting files back in spite of your boss being a big dumbo idiot is basically the poster child of reasons to adopt the cloud.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Olive Branch posted:

Have never posted here but lurked and laughed and sympathized with you all. Now I have some prime dumb poo poo my boss did.

I work as a teacher. Our school uses Microsoft Teams to organize our classes for online work and, if necessary, at-home learning (we started doing this during the pandemic, of course). I upload every lesson I make on my single class team that I update every semester by removing old students and adding new ones. I have used this single team for the past three years, uploading material for references for new students as well as updating existing work.

My principal asked us to make her an owner of the class/team alongside us teachers, and I had done that already last year because she asked then too. Today, to organize her own team list and prune old teams for her organizational records, she went ahead and deleted teams from before August of this year... one of them being my very active, very file-heavy team full of student work, notes, and files.

Now I had to follow up with her asking help from the IT help desk to undo this massive fuckup. Who the hell goes deleting teacher-created teams and work without even bothering to inform them you're doing that? And her defense was "other teachers deleted their teams or made new ones with a year/month on them." That's how THEY chose to organize their teams, not me, I wanted everything in one place. I didn't expect making my goddamn boss an admin of the team means they'd go and unilaterally delete everything to make their workspace easier! gently caress!

I don't know what I'm going to do in the short term if it turns out that the team, or to be more precise, the many files, are unrecoverable. I am going to have to at least make several new documents for next week before class starts on Monday, and definitely a lesson in backing up everything.

I know that pain all too well - HR has managed to delete their Teams channels (and SharePoint site) 2x in the past year when they meant to leave the channel.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
To be fair not everybody develops object permanence at the same point in their mental development

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Outrail posted:

Remove your boss' permissions, make them request for temporary supervised access every time.

Yeah after that idiocy they would not be an owner of anything I had purview over lmfao