Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

YggdrasilTM posted:

Did we even get any official description of Luffy powers?

I was partially joking, but iirc the description the Elder Stars give that comes with the reveal that the Gum Gum was actually Human Human: Model Nika is more or less that it’s user is only limited by his imagination, which if you assume the Gears are a Zoan transformation like Chopper’s Points then it more or less makes sense that he’s using his imagination to make his Gears function.

tl;dr it’s a mystery fruit

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Last Celebration posted:

I was partially joking, but iirc the description the Elder Stars give that comes with the reveal that the Gum Gum was actually Human Human: Model Nika is more or less that it’s user is only limited by his imagination, which if you assume the Gears are a Zoan transformation like Chopper’s Points then it more or less makes sense that he’s using his imagination to make his Gears function.

Oh! So it's a mystery fruit!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Any explanation of the Nika Nika fruit without using the word "freedom" is bad!!

Anyways,

https://twitter.com/TCBScans/status/1567874834935287811

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

THE ONE PIECE CHAPTER!

THE ONE PIECE CHAPTER IS REEEEAAAL!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
The Nika Nika fruit does seem to have some intrinsic rubbery qualities as Luffy as a child was instantly stretchy after eating it even before he realized or knew what a devil fruit was and before he had any time to contemplate what his new powers could enable him to do.

I think it's like a time travel plot device, better not to think about it too much lol

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Gyges posted:

Usually I at least get the appeal of ships I'm not into, but I've never gotten Robin X Franky. It's like, they're both in their 30s and Robin grabbed his nuts that one time: True Love Is In The Air!

Robin grabbing frankys balls that one time is more canon intimacy than you see in most ships

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Starsfan posted:

The Nika Nika fruit does seem to have some intrinsic rubbery qualities as Luffy as a child was instantly stretchy after eating it even before he realized or knew what a devil fruit was and before he had any time to contemplate what his new powers could enable him to do.

I think it's like a time travel plot device, better not to think about it too much lol

The five old dudes say that it does in fact turn your body into rubber.

Why does the freedom fruit turn your body into rubber?

It's a mystery fruit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the mystery of why oda thought this plot twist was necessary

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

how was luffy immune to enel's attacks if he didnt know rubber negates electricity

if he thought rubber negated sand would he have been immune to crocodile

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There's technically nothing unique that we've seen, so far, about Luffy's DF awakening compared to others. It takes what he had, stretches it further, and lets him apply it to the world around him. He didn't get a whole new powerset or anything, it's still just him being rubbery and now making things rubbery, but like, cartoony rubbery, which is what it always was.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think the Elder Stars were probably just being a bit overly dramatic in describing it, maybe

I read it as less "the power is literally your imagination" and more "when you can turn the world around you into cartoon rubber, you've got almost endless possibilities of what you can do with it"

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 8, 2022

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

He grabbed lightning. That shouldn’t be possible, rubber or not

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

He gave the lightning his cartoony rubbery qualities.

Doffy turned buildings into strings, that's even weirder!!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

His hand is made of rubber and rubber is an insulator I don't see why he can't :colbert:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I think if there were a reveal about devil fruits that the Paramythia/Zoan/Logia distinction was kind of bullshit, and they were all "special zoans" associated with ancient people/gods who just had crazy space powers or something and trapped their abilities in fruit, that would be kind of cool. Luffy's fruit would still be of special interest if the guy with the rubber powers happened to be a notorious anti-authoritarian, and that his will kind of bled through more often because of that strong drive, while most fruits only preserve the ability of their progenitor.

Because Luffy is clearly made of rubber in addition to whatever else. He does not just have imagination based powers. He didn't imagine his arm would stretch that first time after he ate the fruit. It was pretty surprising.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

It really does seem like semantics, but doffy was a paramecia. Luffy isn’t, which is why the turning things into rubber thing still feels incongruent unless his power actually is “imagination affects reality”

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sengoku can turn into a big guy that shoots energy, Luffy turns into a guy that does rubber

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

One thing that itches me about the Nika reveal, is that you are supposed to know the type and name of a fruit when you eat it. Luffy /should/ have always known it was a human human model Nika fruit and not the gum gum fruit. But if there was any character that would ignore the demonic internal voice or whatever and go with the flow of "well every one else is calling it the gum gum fruit so that must be what I ate" it's Luffy.

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

that’s not how you learn the name of your devil fruit

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Darkoni posted:

One thing that itches me about the Nika reveal, is that you are supposed to know the type and name of a fruit when you eat it. Luffy /should/ have always known it was a human human model Nika fruit and not the gum gum fruit. But if there was any character that would ignore the demonic internal voice or whatever and go with the flow of "well every one else is calling it the gum gum fruit so that must be what I ate" it's Luffy.

Shanks told him it's the gomu gomu, and Shanks almost certainly knew the true identity of the fruit

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Darkoni posted:

Luffy is very stupid.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

notwithyourheart posted:

that’s not how you learn the name of your devil fruit

seriously where did this idea even come from. nobody in the series has once alluded to the spooky devil voice that whispers gum gum in your ear when you eat the fruit

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Blame Viz

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

the bitcoin of weed posted:

seriously where did this idea even come from. nobody in the series has once alluded to the spooky devil voice that whispers gum gum in your ear when you eat the fruit

A vague misremembering of chapter 385 "There is a Way".

Spandam(?) says "We can know the name of the fruit by the power it gives." Meaning we define the fruit by what powers we observe. Jabra also mentions a devil inhabiting each fruit, but is disregarded as only a rumor.

Turns out I'm just dumb interpreting as a a spooky devil voice. At least I'm not the only one, it seems :v:

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

That loving owns

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

:bignews:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Darkoni posted:

One thing that itches me about the Nika reveal, is that you are supposed to know the type and name of a fruit when you eat it.

That's not true at all. This is a persisting misconception among the fan base because of the viz translation of ch 385. The statement is essentially supposed to be "by eating the fruit you can deduce the name from the powers that you are given."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jabra's mention of a devil was an explanation for why you cant eat two, anyway. he was saying that the devil fruits have actual devils inside them. if you eat two, the devils fight, tearing you apart from the inside. he wasnt discussing names anyway.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i would have kept it the gum gum fruit but it doesn't matter really

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

You're probably not as good of an author as Oda

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oddium might be able to tell a story that takes less than 30 years to finish

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Rody One Half posted:

Oddium might be able to tell a story that takes less than 30 years to finish

so worse

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Scholtz posted:

You're probably not as good of an author as Oda
my proposal: i would have not sent sanji to an island of ugly trans people who want to molest him, and i would have given him ace's devil fruit in dressrosa instead of randomly making him able to make his legs on fire in enies lobby

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i would have done bird cage but in a way that everyone liked instead. or i wouldn't have done it at all whatever one people think is better

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Endorph posted:

my proposal: i would have not sent sanji to an island of ugly trans people who want to molest him, and i would have given him ace's devil fruit in dressrosa instead of randomly making him able to make his legs on fire in enies lobby

does this mean sabo isn’t in the story, because if so link me your fanfic

Also give chapter

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fecha posted:

does this mean sabo isn’t in the story, because if so link me your fanfic

Also give chapter
yeah sabo wouldnt be in the story, just give all his second in command of the revolutionaries stuff to koala and cut all the luffy's secret third brother stuff

or well, keep the flashback but just have him die as a kid

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sanji being able to light his legs on fire via friction is cool as is Zoro going so fast he grows multiple heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I hate to tell everyone, but One Piece is a work of fiction. Luffy has always been a cartoon.