Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Would be interesting if PX/Seraphims could be un-mind controlled. Guess Dragon will be the one to work that out with Kuma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Star Platinum posted:

Since when do we know this? Back when the Pacifistas first appeared on Sabaody it was pretty thoroughly established that they were identical to Kuma aside from his devil fruit power and the personality he still had back then. Since then we've learned that cloning technology exists and is connected to Vegapunk's research, I'd say it's almost certain that the old Pacifistas are straight up clones of Kuma.
In the fight on Saobody when they got damaged it was clear they were made of metal.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
When was their identicity established? They shoot lasers out of their mouth and were full rear end robots when zoro cut into one. Kuma even shows up at the end of saobody and makes the difference clear.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Last Celebration posted:

i think either Blackbeard is just kind of an oblivious moron or he’s that *and*

Cat Machine posted:

Blackbeard recognising a Lunarian… Is Blackbeard a Lunarian himself… The Moon God to Luffy’s Sun God… :tinfoil:

Blackbeard is definitely not a moron, he seems to be the one guy on the planet aside from possibly Vegapunk who knows how to freely move devil fruits between users (maybe I am crazy but the conversation between Vasco, Catarina and BB seemed to imply that he could get Hancock's power without killing her). He is also the only known person to have 2 DF power's and this clearly came from some kind of deeper understanding of his fruit and probably his own physiology.

Based on that I think BB knowing about Lunarians makes sense, the dude is definitely more educated on a lot of what is going on in the OP world than the average person. Doubt this means he is a Lunarian himself tho, although maybe his hidden adjoined fetus twin is lol

Which brings up another point: I had seen speculation (maybe here?) that BB wanted Hancock's fruit to un-petrify someone else (possibly Rocks himself, which already has the clever pun) but Hancock states that this isn't possible. However, due to BB knowing stuff about fruits that other people don't, I wonder if he either 1. knows un-petrifying people is not possible, and wants it for some other reason, or 2. is smart enough to know something Hancock doesn't, and knows some kind of work-around. Same with the beauty thing honestly, he implies that he knows the fruit's power is based on looks when he says "I don't think any man can resist your charms" so he clearly would have thought about this and had a plan before raiding her island.

blizzardvizard posted:

Yeah I think the reason why the clones are all kids is because they're like, vat babies who grew up naturally (for a given sense of the word) instead of being abducted kids who were experimented on or entirely made robots.

Yeah this makes sense to me, a friend also pointed out this is likely why the WG is so interested in Jewelry Bonney, she can age these guys up quick.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Begemot posted:

drat, this poo poo is crazy.

The way Blackbeard was talking makes it sound like stealing devil fruit powers is something the darkness fruit can do.
its kinda interesting because we have three examples that had three different states.

blackbeard was able to steal the earthquake fruit from whitebeard's corpse, he had to actively kill absalom to pass the invisibility fruit to shiryu, and now here it almost sounds like he could steal the fruit from hancock without killing her? he tells devon she can torture hancock after he takes her powers.

there's an obvious method for stealing a fruit that anyone can use, just kill someone near a fruit tree. when smiley dies, you see a nearby apple turning into the axolotl fruit, so it seems like devil fruits reincarnate into the nearest fruit if there are any in a certain radius around it. so blackbeard could just drag hancock over to an apple tree, kill her, and hand the medusa fruit over to, iunno, whoever on his crew he thinks is the sexiest. i was going to joke about jesus but that man might actually be one of the better looking members of his crew.

but again, the way hes talking here makes it seem like hancock would be alive after he took her power. he also specifically says 'power,' not 'fruit.' thats a semantics thing but those two things together makes me think he isnt using the more obvious method. could he have taken whitebeard and absalom's powers without killing them? maybe his offer to moriah was that if he surrendered peacefully and joined his crew, he'd take his power but leave him alive?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

Which brings up another point: I had seen speculation (maybe here?) that BB wanted Hancock's fruit to un-petrify someone else (possibly Rocks himself, which already has the clever pun) but Hancock states that this isn't possible. However, due to BB knowing stuff about fruits that other people don't, I wonder if he either 1. knows un-petrifying people is not possible, and wants it for some other reason, or 2. is smart enough to know something Hancock doesn't, and knows some kind of work-around. Same with the beauty thing honestly, he implies that he knows the fruit's power is based on looks when he says "I don't think any man can resist your charms" so he clearly would have thought about this and had a plan before raiding her island.
Maybe Vegapunk can or has made a sythentic Mero Mero ni Mi that someone could use to reverse petrification. Hell, that PX Hancock in this chapter could already have eaten it for all we know.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its also possible he just wants hancock's fruit because its reasonably strong - jesus was in dressrosa to get ace's on blackbeard's orders, and i cant imagine him having any longterm plans that involve a pretty basic elemental fruit. '

actually, speaking of that bit of dressrosa, there's an interesting line from burgess in this context.

1) was burgess talking about the 'obvious method' i mentioned before, or do the blackbeard pirates know some method thats neither that nor related to the darkness fruit? or maybe he was just going to kill him then drag his corpse back to blackbeard so he could use the darkness fruit on it.

2) since blackbeard is so knowledgable, did he have an inkling that the gomu gomu no mi was more than it seemed and mention it to burgess as a secondary goal? its not hard to imagine luffy showing up to try and get his dead brother's fruit, so it's hard to tell if burgess is just running on his own initiative here or if he told burgess 'also if straw hat shows up try to nab his too'

Endorph fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 9, 2022

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Endorph posted:

so blackbeard could just drag hancock over to an apple tree, kill her, and hand the medusa fruit over to, iunno, whoever on his crew he thinks is the sexiest. i was going to joke about jesus but that man might actually be one of the better looking members of his crew.?

IDK where I read this, but Hancock's fruit supposedly works on people who have an emotional reaction to the user's appearance - so Blackbeard could basically turn anyone grossed out by him into stone. Kinda similar to the Big Mom power working only on people who are afraid of her.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Fecha posted:

In the fight on Saobody when they got damaged it was clear they were made of metal.

No Wave posted:

When was their identicity established? They shoot lasers out of their mouth and were full rear end robots when zoro cut into one. Kuma even shows up at the end of saobody and makes the difference clear.

Dispensing with the black bars since this doesn't really relate directly to the new chapter. Sanji made a comment about one of the kumabots being a cyborg and how that means he should be based on a guy identical to the real Kuma. X Drake seemed mildly surprised that a kumabot had red blood. Also the real Kuma himself shot a mouth laser on Thriller Bark and was shown to be made mostly of metal when Zoro cut into him. I'll dig around and post a collage of this stuff later.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

rannum posted:

The yamato stuff is still frustrating but it was at least nice to see the flashback we should have gotten like 3 chapters ago. The Marco stuff was cute. The rest of the chapter was incredible; the new pacifistas are insane

Agreed 100%. While I’m still not thrilled about Yamato not joining, with the flashback it feels much less out of nowhere. No idea why it wasn’t shown while we were still on Wano, but whatever! Everything else was loving WILD and Oda is really setting up some major pieces for the final act.

Random theory: Im is also a black-winged lunarian and some of their DNA is being used to make the Seraphim.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Endorph posted:

but again, the way hes talking here makes it seem like hancock would be alive after he took her power. he also specifically says 'power,' not 'fruit.' thats a semantics thing but those two things together makes me think he isnt using the more obvious method. could he have taken whitebeard and absalom's powers without killing them? maybe his offer to moriah was that if he surrendered peacefully and joined his crew, he'd take his power but leave him alive?

i think the fact that one of the darkness fruit's power is specifically shutting down other devil fruits points to it being the source of blackbeard's power-stealing. my guess would be that devil fruit powers are some kind of soul/spirit that imprints on someone's lineage factor, which would both explain their cyclical nature (the spirit travels to another nearby fruit when its host is dead) and how blackbeard can take them (the darkness fruit is able to suck the fruit spirit out of someone with enough time/effort; dead people are presumably easier to do this to, but blackbeard may have mastered it enough to be able to do it to a living person by this point)

Vermain fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 9, 2022

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Real Kuma on Thriller Bark w/ mouth beam

Pacifistas on Sabaody

That last line from Franky definitely reads as a foreshadowing to me now that we know that someone CAN, in fact, create humans from scratch.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
What I’m not clear on is: what does it mean that they were created from scratch? Do they have some kind of free will that’s been surpressed, are they just meat robots, or is the question a false dichotomy? I feel like the question of whether the Pacifistas or the Germa 66 clone soldiers are “real people” has never really been addressed; Judge’s willingness to sacrifice clone soldiers is probably meant to help establish him as a jerk, but none of the characters seem to see it as an enormous wrong that needs to be righted. The revelation that the Seraphim look like children feels like it’s meant to be shocking on some level, but if we’re too shocked by it, it would seem to undermine not only Vegapunk’s previous characterization but also Coby’s.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cat Machine posted:

Can’t wait to see Zoro cut this fakeass M1-H4WK in two with one slice

He was not able to cut King when King's flames where up, so I could see Seraphim Mihawk being a big opponent.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Star Platinum posted:

Real Kuma on Thriller Bark w/ mouth beam

Pacifistas on Sabaody

That last line from Franky definitely reads as a foreshadowing to me now that we know that someone CAN, in fact, create humans from scratch.

Technically most humans can create humans from scratch, it just takes a long time.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The original Kuma type Pacifistas were stated to be made from corpses.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

On paper “dark cyborg versions of the warlords with angel wings and laser beams” sounds fuckin dumb but somehow Oda has actually made it kick so much rear end

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Oh my god the Navy spermjacked King

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

The original Kuma type Pacifistas were stated to be made from corpses.

Where was this stated? It makes sense, but I don’t remember it being stated anywhere.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver2195 posted:

Where was this stated? It makes sense, but I don’t remember it being stated anywhere.

Now I can't remember the source, so I am starting to doubt it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
This Vegapunk character seems like bad news

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I feel like I havent seen anyone talk about this at all, which is making me think im wrong.

I was under the impression that the Kuja throne went Gloriosa -> Unnamed Empress Dead from Lovesickness -> Unnamed Empress Dead From Lovesickness -> Boa

But now we find out Shakky was Empress after Gloriosa? Shouldnt she be dead? Did she run off in secret with Rayleigh? This also kills my theory that Rayleigh was the man Gloriosa ran away for, although I was literally only basing that on Glorisoa telling Boa not to pinch Rayleighs nose

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Meme Emulator posted:

I feel like I havent seen anyone talk about this at all, which is making me think im wrong.

I was under the impression that the Kuja throne went Gloriosa -> Unnamed Empress Dead from Lovesickness -> Unnamed Empress Dead From Lovesickness -> Boa

But now we find out Shakky was Empress after Gloriosa? Shouldnt she be dead? Did she run off in secret with Rayleigh? This also kills my theory that Rayleigh was the man Gloriosa ran away for, although I was literally only basing that on Glorisoa telling Boa not to pinch Rayleighs nose

I thought it was stated the old empresses never died they just ran off to see who they loved

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Meme Emulator posted:

It's certainly looking like Rayleigh and Shakky are a couple. But I'm not brushed up on this side of OP lore.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

No Wave posted:

It's certainly looking like Rayleigh and Shakky are a couple. But I'm not brushed up on this side of OP lore.

yeah that was made clear when they were introduced originally

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

lih posted:

yeah that was made clear when they were introduced originally

The gloriosa/rayleigh thing was more... in my head I had imagined she left Amazon Lily for him, but they drifted apart down the way and then he met up with Shakky. But now that its pretty clear Shakky directly put down the crown for Rayleigh.

Anyway, that wasnt my confusion on what I thought was wrong, it was more the two empresses in between Gloriosa and Boa, I could have swore they were both said to be dead.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/newworldartur/status/1568356807231569920

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hiding an entire sword in my One Piece book.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

This seems like a ridiculous thing to do now and not in 5-7 years

Check out my limited edition copy of 3/4ths of One Piece

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I finally got box set 1 of one piece! Hell yeah!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

those are some really random choices for iconic panels on the back.

how do you do that and not have the alabasta ending

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

No Wave posted:

This is exactly what I thought was being communicated when green bull showed up and momo frantically tried to solo him.

BB's crew seems too ragged to actually use the mero mero so it seems weird for him to go after it this hard. Surely making friends with hancock would be an easier option.

It's a dumb thought, but given how kind of vague some fruit powers can work; what if Boa's fruit doesn't strictly have to work on lust, love, or romantic feelings but any kind of "attraction"? If that were the case, being able to petrify anyone drawn in by his gravity powers would be obscenely useful for Black Beard and would make sense for him to want. But beyond that I can't think of any reason why he'd want it, unless as other people have speculated, he's doing it solely to unpetrify someone in which case just getting her to do the work for him would probably be easier.

hosed up he's taking the creator's name off of his own creation.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 10, 2022

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Famous one piece author Iian Manouach

hatty fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 10, 2022

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

No no no it's not "One Piece" by Eiichiro Oda, it's my original project "Onepiece."

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

How many normal volumes does this cover? And do they keep the SBS?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

you can tell where the volumes are by the black flashback pages

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

holy poo poo why would anyone look at the accursed Death Note All-in-One edition and think "we can top that"

alternatively: owns

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Cloks posted:

you can tell where the volumes are by the black flashback pages

Going by that logic, it seems this whole thing covers all the way up to Enies Lobby.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Meme Emulator posted:

This seems like a ridiculous thing to do now and not in 5-7 years

Check out my limited edition copy of 3/4ths of One Piece

They should wait till it's done, release it in 8 parts so they can be referred to as "Pieces of 8"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Last Celebration posted:

i think either Blackbeard is just kind of an oblivious moron or he’s that *and* this is gonna be the buildup to an arc of him having done everything he did to be respected/adored and not really having any of that beyond a surface level despite gaming the devil fruit system and pissing most of his life away as a peon when he’s been implied to be on the level of a Whitebeard fleet commander because he couldn’t just be happy with what he could have had. I’m probably reaching though!

i think his character is much more "gambling on fate and his plan working out" than "secretly needs to be admired". in jaya, he specifically agrees with luffy and shank's pacifism , saying that if you want to reach the top, you have to be agnostic to the more commoner squabbles of pirates from time to time. he does evil poo poo for sure, but he's a lot more kaido than orochi