Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Nerobro posted:

Got another spool to try? I wonder if it's the filament...

checking a few other rolls out. This stuff is an older roll of rainbow silk I have, which is probably also making it out to be a lot worse than it is in the real world.

Still falls back to the only recent change being the nozzle/hotend/fan shroud though which is weird as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

It's not easily possible to have octoprint power my prusa mk3s on and off, is it?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Deviant posted:

It's not easily possible to have octoprint power my prusa mk3s on and off, is it?

Define "Easily"

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

If octoprint has a plugin for Philips hue, or other smart plugs it might be able to do it that way easily, without needing to mess with pins and etc.
And then just use a smart plug.

That's how my raspi turns on my printer when I queue something up atleast. (Klipper pluss fluidpi, though.)

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Deviant posted:

If you have an Amazon echo you could get a smart plug and use the app to power on/off at the outlet. I do not know if the prusa needs a soft shutdown and this would be rough on it though.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

sharkytm posted:

Define "Easily"

i was going to build a 120V relay to address from the rpi and on/off the main, but it turns out the PSU Control plugin appears to interface with Wemo Smart Plugs, of which i have several spares, so i'll just use one of those.

That *was* easy.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 10, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm a big fan of the smart plugs, the govee ones run our back yard string lights on a built in digital timer, but also interfaces with voice control

Anker makes the eufy brand ones which are great (and probably the smallest fire hazard) but they're hard to get since the pandemic

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Been having this issue with ABS on my Ender 3:

Gets a couple layers down with this crusty/wispy stuff then clogs. Has happened with two different spools, this one I just opened.

Could this be wrong nozzle size? I grabbed an unlabeled nozzle that I assumed was .4, but I guess there's no way to know for sure.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Have you ruled out a dirty build plate

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Hadlock posted:

Have you ruled out a dirty build plate

I think that I'm pretty good about cleaning it (glass); I use a gluestick for adhesion but hit it with isopropyl spray and use a metal scraper pretty thoroughly between prints.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Is the nozzle too close? Like z axis wise? Otherwise nozzle diameter might be an issue I would think? Or maybe temp?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Unperson_47 posted:

I got enough Prusameters to get a discount code for a free reel of PLA but the cheapest shipping is 20 bucks. :( I'm still gonna get it but I was thinking I could get away with $10 shipping at the most.

I have enough points for the hoodie and I really want them to make a version without the godawful “EVERYONE IS A MAKER ONLY I AM A PRINTER” slogan on the back. The design on the front is great! Why did they have to ruin it!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I think that I'm pretty good about cleaning it (glass); I use a gluestick for adhesion but hit it with isopropyl spray and use a metal scraper pretty thoroughly between prints.

I very much feel like it's your bed. No idea for for behaves adhesion wise over time, but if anything the extra thickness just had to affect something somewhere

Maybe a good scrub with a brush/soap to hit the glue, get it all off, then a bit of iso and a wipe. I've never needed glue except for a bit of abs/asa, but then again I'm on a pei sheet

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 10, 2022

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Tell us more. Head temp, Bed temp, is that an enclosure? What's the temperature in there? I can't see if there's a sock on there.

Measuring the hole in a nozzle isn't.. hard.. but you need to have the tools. If you have any doubt, swap nozzles.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Nerobro posted:

Tell us more. Head temp, Bed temp, is that an enclosure? What's the temperature in there? I can't see if there's a sock on there.

Measuring the hole in a nozzle isn't.. hard.. but you need to have the tools. If you have any doubt, swap nozzles.

240C/102C/yes, a LACK enclosure. Don't have a probe in the enclosure itself, but there's a sock on the hotend.

The only other nozzles I have are also unlabeled :negative:

w00tmonger posted:

I very much feel like it's your bed. No idea for for behaves adhesion wise over time, but if anything the extra thickness just had to affect something somewhere

Maybe a good scrub with a brush/soap to hit the glue, get it all off, then a bit of iso and a wipe. I've never needed glue except for a bit of abs/asa, but then again I'm on a pei sheet

ABS is known for curling up, so I've gotten in the habit of using the gluestick. I'll try and give it a deep clean and try it without though.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Is the nozzle too close? Like z axis wise? Otherwise nozzle diameter might be an issue I would think? Or maybe temp?

That's a possibilty. When I swapped nozzles, the new one is slightly longer and therefore too close to the bed. There's something whack with my Marlin 2.0 firmware that I can't actually change the z-offset (and save it), so I've settled on using the baby-step Z in the Tune menu to back it off .28mm at the very start of the print. First layer looks fine.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Ethics_Gradient posted:

240C/102C/yes, a LACK enclosure. Don't have a probe in the enclosure itself, but there's a sock on the hotend.

Hmmpf. I'd be going hotter on all of that. Especially on glass. 260/110? Also, what's your print speed?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Anyone have any suggestions on what filament dryers they use? Seems like I have 2 rolls of ABS that I guess from sitting in my garage in what I thought were sealed rubbermade containers they have still gotten too wet to print with. I've ordered some vacuum sealed bags to move my filament into but would rather not loose these 2 rolls. Would also rather not use my oven as we, you know, cook food in there. Is the Sunlu one decent enough?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Unperson_47 posted:

I got enough Prusameters to get a discount code for a free reel of PLA but the cheapest shipping is 20 bucks. :( I'm still gonna get it but I was thinking I could get away with $10 shipping at the most.

good to know 'prusameters' is a big scam and i shouldn't worry about it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ethics_Gradient posted:

That's a possibilty. When I swapped nozzles, the new one is slightly longer and therefore too close to the bed. There's something whack with my Marlin 2.0 firmware that I can't actually change the z-offset (and save it), so I've settled on using the baby-step Z in the Tune menu to back it off .28mm at the very start of the print. First layer looks fine.

Well get some decent nozzles before you do anything else, they're very cheap and should be considered consumables.

Second, you don't need the LCD to set z-offset. Send G92 Z(your offset) and then M500 to save it.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Deviant posted:

good to know 'prusameters' is a big scam and i shouldn't worry about it.

I wouldn't call it a scam honestly, it's still a pretty cool bonus for using their site. Hoping they will start shipping out US rewards from printedsolid though.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Marsupial Ape posted:

Where can I find the newest firmware for the Ender 3 v2’s LCD interface? All the documentation I have read says it should be bundled with the latest official firmware for the printer on Creality’s website. The current release does not have the screen firmware bundled.

Or am I interneting wrong, again?

The screen doesn't really have a firmware. You can upload some icons and a font to its internal storage, and that's it.

I wouldn't bother messing with the icons. I spent a long-rear end time trying to figure this all out, got it working, and the new icons are just as bad as the old ones. I did upload a nicer font, though.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

cruft posted:

The screen doesn't really have a firmware. You can upload some icons and a font to its internal storage, and that's it.

I wouldn't bother messing with the icons. I spent a long-rear end time trying to figure this all out, got it working, and the new icons are just as bad as the old ones. I did upload a nicer font, though.

I also prefer the new font. I installed latest pre-Marlin 2.0 merge version a while back. It makes it much more readable.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Well get some decent nozzles before you do anything else, they're very cheap and should be considered consumables.

Second, you don't need the LCD to set z-offset. Send G92 Z(your offset) and then M500 to save it.

I'm looking at the start G-Code in Cura

code:
; Ender 3 Custom Start G-code
G92 E0 ; Reset Extruder
G28 ; Home all axes
G29 ; Auto bed-level (BL-Touch)
G1 Z2.0 F3000 ; Move Z Axis up little to prevent scratching of Heat Bed
G1 X0.1 Y20 Z0.3 F5000.0 ; Move to start position
G1 X0.1 Y200.0 Z0.3 F1500.0 E15 ; Draw the first line
G1 X0.4 Y200.0 Z0.3 F5000.0 ; Move to side a little
G1 X0.4 Y20 Z0.3 F1500.0 E30 ; Draw the second line
G92 E0 ; Reset Extruder
G1 Z2.0 F3000 ; Move Z Axis up little to prevent scratching of Heat Bed
G1 X5 Y20 Z0.3 F5000.0 ; Move over to prevent blob squish
Should I delete the G29? Removed the BL Touch ages ago.

Was wondering how it should fit in relative to those G1 lines as well.

edit: tried 260/110 and a clean bed, same result :mad: Gonna try backing off from .12mm layer height to .16 and see if that makes a difference.

edit: it seems like the filament is binding. I've put the filament dryer/enclosure at a 30 degree angle facing downwards to see if that helps, otherwise I'll just go back to the stock spool holder.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 11, 2022

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I'm looking at the start G-Code in Cura

You don't even have to put it in your start code, just connect via repetier host or octoprint or whatever, send it once and save it with M500.

And yeah you don't need G29 if you don't have a bed probe.

e: if you want to put it in start code, you could put it at the top, but i wouldn't do that because you'll have a gcode file that forces a z height. that's gonna suck real hard if you change something about your hotend and forget.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 11, 2022

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I’m having one of those nights.

Flashed the stock version of the Ender 3 v2 firmware back onto my machine. It is the latest release, with the BLTouch integration and the correct version of the board.

Everything comes on fine. Every acts normal, screen looks like it’s reading the temp fine. The pre heat settings work and it will start heating. Drivers aren’t moving, though. I set it to auto-home, acts like it’s going to start, then just locks up. Manual control of X,Y, and Z does nothing. I have doubled check every connection, both to make sure they are in and in the right socket.

So, I dunno. I finally gently caress up my board?

Edit: disregard, I am a fuckwit.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 11, 2022

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

You don't even have to put it in your start code, just connect via repetier host or octoprint or whatever, send it once and save it with M500.

And yeah you don't need G29 if you don't have a bed probe.

e: if you want to put it in start code, you could put it at the top, but i wouldn't do that because you'll have a gcode file that forces a z height. that's gonna suck real hard if you change something about your hotend and forget.

Ah, I gotcha! That does sound like it has the potential to cause a mental health episode later on if I forget about it.

It was definitely my new filament enclosure causing it to bind; I put the rickety stock one back on and it's humming merrily along. Ages ago I bought some proper mounting hardware for it (it's two cruddy little screws sunk into the basically hollow LACK tabletop) but I lost them somewhere, guess I know what's on the Bunnings list now.

I was really looking forward to having my filament in the dryer box while it printed, may see if I can build/print a pulley or two to help it change angle. Not super high up on the list though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Marsupial Ape posted:

Strong contender for thread title

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

I'm still not quite over how cool it is that I can design something in Fusion 360, and less than an hour later be holding it physically in my hand.

I've got a post-processing question: I've got a number of self-tapping fasteners I need to install on a print but it is brutally hard to get them in the holes, and I'm not able to get them as far down as I need to. I'm guessing it's because I'm using ABS rather than PLA, and forgot to compensate for a little shrinkage in the holes (realised this was an issue with a print for another project).

Should I use a drill bit to enlarge the holes a bit? Or is this a bad idea? I am tempted to see if I can replace them with some heat set inserts and little M2 or M3 bolts, had to buy a bunch in bulk for another project so hopefully have the right size laying around.

Been making steady progress on assembling the 3D printed panoramic camera this weekend, although I think I'm gonna have to put off finishing it another week so I can redesign a few smaller pieces. Been getting a lot of mileage out of a set of little files I picked up on impulse at SuperCheap with some leftover store credit.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I've got a post-processing question: I've got a number of self-tapping fasteners I need to install on a print but it is brutally hard to get them in the holes, and I'm not able to get them as far down as I need to. I'm guessing it's because I'm using ABS rather than PLA, and forgot to compensate for a little shrinkage in the holes (realised this was an issue with a print for another project).

Should I use a drill bit to enlarge the holes a bit? Or is this a bad idea? I am tempted to see if I can replace them with some heat set inserts and little M2 or M3 bolts, had to buy a bunch in bulk for another project so hopefully have the right size laying around.

Yeah, this works great. I like to give these parts an extra thick shell so I have lots of meat left after enlarging the printed pilot hole.

Also, t-nuts make a good alternative to those heat set inserts:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Should I use a drill bit to enlarge the holes a bit? Or is this a bad idea?

I do this all the time, it's fine as long as you have enough perimeters!

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Perfectly fine. I typically make holes right on size in CAD and they print out just a touch undersized, then hit them with a drill for a perfect fit.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I do this all the time, it's fine as long as you have enough perimeters!

changing all my defaults to 3 perimeters is one of the few useful bits i took from the dingus over on maker's muse

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Marsupial Ape posted:

So, I dunno. I finally gently caress up my board?

Okay, out with it. The thread needs to know the whole story here, even if it's boring.

Each of us has been the fuckwit so many times that it isn't fair to deprive us an opportunity to read about somebody else being the fuckwit.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Opinionated posted:

I wouldn't call it a scam honestly, it's still a pretty cool bonus for using their site. Hoping they will start shipping out US rewards from printedsolid though.

The markup there is more than shipping from the mothership so I wouldn't hold my breath

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Deviant posted:

changing all my defaults to 3 perimeters is one of the few useful bits i took from the dingus over on maker's muse

3 perimeters is p. nice. I'm still such a newbie most of what he said except perimeters and infill type. Went over my head though.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

is there a way to update the prusa firmware without connecting a computer to the printer?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Chainclaw posted:

is there a way to update the prusa firmware without connecting a computer to the printer?

I've been putting off a firmware update for months and would also like to know this

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Chainclaw posted:

From what I could find only using an octoprint plugin, but I can't remember why I didn't end up using it. Seems a bit weird to me that it doesn't have the sd card method like every other printer seems to now.

I just ended up disabling the warning that was coming up for the new version, from my reading it didn't have any real significant bugfixes.

mewse
May 2, 2006

The "firmware updater" octoprint plugin works for me. Except when I flashed the wrong mk2 image (rambo 1.0 instead of 1.3 iirc) and had to recover using a windows laptop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

octoprint has to be running on a computer, connected to the printer, so that doesn't really work. I've found the built in prusa firmware has been good enough that I don't use octoprint anymore, unlike my previous two printers.

Looking at the release notes, there's nothing I need on this list, so I'll just look into disabling the message instead of upgrading. https://github.com/prusa3d/Prusa-Firmware/releases/tag/v3.11.0

edit: has anyone tried to get a refund on myminifactory ever? I'm sick of buying models that need some post-processing to be actually printable. I'd rather start refunding broken models so maybe the authors will get the hint, and buy models that are actually ready to go.

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 12, 2022