Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

[*]my #1 moment, when Cars was like "DID YOU PLAN THIS TOO JOJO" and Joseph seeing an opportunity to twist the knife and be like "YOU BET YOUR rear end I DID"
[/list]

It owns so incredibly hard that Joseph's ultimate technique is just lying really self-assuredly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
He was basically a stage magician. All of his real power came from wordplay, sleight of hand, and trickery. And he used it to literally kill an immortal being.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

my #1 moment, when Cars was like "DID YOU PLAN THIS TOO JOJO" and Joseph seeing an opportunity to twist the knife and be like "YOU BET YOUR rear end I DID"

Joseph genuinely said "Kars, you fool. I wanted you to chop off my arm because I planned to have you explode the volcano we were fighting on with your Hamon powers in order to launch my arm at you and paralyze you so that you'd be launched into space."

And Kars believed him. :allears:

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Done with Part 3: Stardust Crusaders!

After a rough start it was just wonderful all the way. I usually get bored of MOTW formats because I just want the story to progress, but watching these silly beefmen claiming to be in highschool outsmart everything in their way was just cozy and fun. Too many unforgettable moments to remember all of them, and I could watch several seasons of a comedy series thats just Joseph saying OH NO OH poo poo OH MY GOD at things.

Favourite battles:
- Dio’s world was easily the best, laughed so hard at Sewer Jojo i almost woke up the family. I wish they found another way to deal with The World than JoJo having it, although I like the implication that The World was actually Jonathans stand and it’s a lineage power, but it was still a mindblowing fight in so many ways.
- Hol Horse and Hanged Man in india
- Oingo Boingo just because of how gross and gnarly that comic book is. Also it seems like the most terrifying power for the user - even the slightest mistake and you’re dead.
- Poker showdown had me in shivers
- Pet Shop fight was the closest this series has had to a classic action battle and it was really cool, loved it
- The Void Vampire before Dio, just for how terrifying he was, but also for showing how scary Polnareff can be when he’s actually giving it his all and fighting for something other than himself.
- Death 13, lali-ho
- Avdol dying twice, lol, lol, roflmao EDIT: oh and to save Polnareffs dumb rear end both times, lol, omg, mvp
- Polnareff, what a man

poo poo pile:
- Early pokemon battles and the nude 10yo
- The videogame battle had a cool ending but was dull and dumb until then
- Netflix censoring, black airbrush over gore but also over JoJo smoking a cigarette??? What is this, China?
- That’s it actually???

Bisse fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 10, 2022

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Bisse posted:

- Netflix censoring, black airbrush over gore but also over JoJo smoking a cigarette??? What is this, China?

That's not Netflix doing that, that's how it was censored when it aired on Japanese TV, they have rather strict rules about portraying underage smoking over there.

It IS Netflix's fault for not using the blu-ray release that isn't as goofily censored

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Jotaro having The World makes sense imo. Dio keeps going on about how they have 'the same type of stand' and there's a couple times in the series where Star Platinum does something so incredibly fast off-screen it's as if it stopped time subconsciously (introductory chapter, D'Arcy fight when he's bluffing). Doubt that was intentional foreshadowing but it sort of works.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I get Crunchyroll having the censored versions of Part 3/4 since they were simulcasts but I’m not really sure why Netflix also has them

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Yeah I read it the same way, that they have literally the exact same stand, other than looks. Which must mean they are connected somehow, and the obvious link is Jonathan’s body.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
because netflix is stupid

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Netflix is bad is why

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

BTW where is a good place to watch parts 4 & 5 in europe? It seems like Netflix doesn’t have those and just jumps straight to Stone Ocean.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bisse posted:

Just saw this bit and TBH I didn't mind it at all, it felt more like a natural family situation that makes sense in that context, with the twist that Polnareff is actually an adult ofc but I didn't find it worse than say Momo jumping into Nami's chest in OP which happens like 8 times. In the end with the way they say farewell after the fight it was kind of a sweet scene. The ship shower scene is a hell of a lot worse in my eyes because it is completely illogical and out of context (just arrived on a weird abandoned ghost ship and saw two men get decapitated? mmm it would be nice to shower off all that salt water) and sexily zooming in on a 10-ish-year old girl's steaming hot and wet legs and butt.

i personally hate th seth fight because alessi is 100% a huge pervert and honestly like the polnareff/egyptian lady scenes. until she gets turned into a loving zygote at least

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

good.parts of the seth fight:

1. the end of polnareff's bathroom quest, he finally finds a safe place to take a poo poo.
2. polnareff nd the egyptian lady
3. the resolution being tht 10 year old jotaro is still a way bigger badass than grown pervert alessi

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Bisse posted:

I like the implication that The World was actually Jonathans stand and it’s a lineage power

That is technically correct. The best kind of correct.

The World is DIO's Stand and the Hermit Purple he used earlier in the part (Episode 3) is Jonathan's ability. That said, because he's using The World in Jonathan's body, it is implied that his psychic connection to Jotaro awoke that same ability within him purely to create a counter to DIO.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bisse posted:

- Poker showdown had me in shivers
https://streamable.com/4yk5dl

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The video game fight is a lot better when you realize the other half of the team is in a desperate fight for their lives against Vanilla Ice at the same time

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Speaking of the video game, it's hilarious that the guy who's such a great gamer is so unconfident in his ability to win against someone who literally just learned the controls of the game that he gives up before the game is even halfway over.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Speaking of the video game, it's hilarious that the guy who's such a great gamer is so unconfident in his ability to win against someone who literally just learned the controls of the game that he gives up before the game is even halfway over.

Just like how Joseph's true superpower is sleight of hand and pure unmitigated chutzpah, Jotaro's true power is bullying his opponents with psychological intimidation

It's also why (part 4 spoilers) he nearly loses to a rat, it can't be intimidated by him

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

You also had more Joseph bullshit going on simultaneously as it was the perfect combo of Jotaro just acting like he's the poo poo and Joseph pulling off B.S. in the background.

He wasn't really good at games, though - he was just playing games where he could read minds and win based on it. THATS A BASEBALL is perfect because you can read every pitch ahead of time. If it was something that was based on pure reflex and input, Jotaro would probably win due to Star Platinum.

Both Darbys are just giant cheaters.

The equivalent YuYu Hakusho video game soul stealing fight at least had the guy remember every answer which isn't technically cheating, hqhq.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

He won against Kakyoin without using his powers, though. He IS good.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Joseph getting to do more in Egypt was definitely great.

Also, yeah, I remember Gamemaster. That was great. The heroes have a guy who has memorized the answer to every question in the game and can answer a few words in, but Gamemaster has memorized all of the RNG seeds and can answer all of the questions before they appear onscreen. :allears:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

IMO, there's a pretty clear line in Stardust Crusaders where Araki decided that DIO's power is to stop time and that Jotaro will beat DIO by using the same power.
The bit where Hol Horse tries to shoot DIO in the head and D'arby the Gambler are back to back and I think it's kinda obvious that D'arby ends up folding because he thinks Jotaro is using the same power, which he probably is, unintentionally.

YggdrasilTM posted:

He won against Kakyoin without using his powers, though. He IS good.

Or, true to his form, Kakyoin just sucks at it.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Nah. You don't suck at a game when you play like they did. and against Jotaro, D'Arby knew the weak points of all the batters in the game. He obviusly used his powers to cover his weaknesses, but he was good.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 10, 2022

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

IMO, there's a pretty clear line in Stardust Crusaders where Araki decided that DIO's power is to stop time and that Jotaro will beat DIO by using the same power.
The bit where Hol Horse tries to shoot DIO in the head and D'arby the Gambler are back to back and I think it's kinda obvious that D'arby ends up folding because he thinks Jotaro is using the same power, which he probably is, unintentionally.

In one of the JoJonium's Araki said that The World was the first Stand he designed, so unless time stop was a late idea he had a few years to come up with a way for Jotaro to beat Dio without giving him the same power

That he didn't makes me think he realized that time stop is really cool and needed to be in the story after Dio

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
It might've been the first stand he designed but wasn't his first idea that the world had every other stand's powers?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, that was the OG plan

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

DIO summons The World and immediately blows himself up with the power of The Sun.

Part 3 END.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

It might've been the first stand he designed but wasn't his first idea that the world had every other stand's powers?

No, that's something the fandom created, he said in the commentary that The World's time stopping is the perfect counter to Star Platinum's speed and precision

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 10, 2022

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Just like how Joseph's true superpower is sleight of hand and pure unmitigated chutzpah, Jotaro's true power is bullying his opponents with psychological intimidation

It's also why (part 4 spoilers) he nearly loses to a rat, it can't be intimidated by him

When we get there we can explain for the millionth time how a sac-fly works

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Kakyoin is a certified Gamer and I will not tolerate this slander against him.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

zetamind2000 posted:

No, that's something the fandom created, he said in the commentary that The World's time stopping is the perfect counter to Star Platinum's speed and precision

yeah, i don't think there's ever been any point where araki said it. it's pretty much always been fandom people making it up and just assuming, which kind of immediately falls apart when you consider that one of the biggest reasons araki probably had jotaro and dio's stands do the same thing probably came down to it being really cool and the rest sort of happened after that

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Speaking of fandom things, I'm surprised that Giorno's backstory of being inspired by a random guy is seen as perfectly fine, but Josuke's is seen as a product of Araki's explosive dementia.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Why would Josuke look like the guy he’s trying to look like? Makes no sense

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Araki's explosive dementia.

Earth-2's version of JJBA, by famed mangaka Jonathan Joestar

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Joseph getting to do more in Egypt was definitely great.

Also, yeah, I remember Gamemaster. That was great. The heroes have a guy who has memorized the answer to every question in the game and can answer a few words in, but Gamemaster has memorized all of the RNG seeds and can answer all of the questions before they appear onscreen. :allears:

What’s interesting about Gamemaster is that no one is actually good enough to beat him in his games, but when Gamemaster explains how his power actually works, the cast realizes that Gamemaster has unintentionally killed himself and has no way of surviving the situation. When this is pointed out to him, he rightfully freaks out a bit and his skill at the next game nosedives.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
This vid showcases some neat skill but the commentary feels very cursed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ln5eI6YVKA

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

What’s interesting about Gamemaster is that no one is actually good enough to beat him in his games, but when Gamemaster explains how his power actually works, the cast realizes that Gamemaster has unintentionally killed himself and has no way of surviving the situation. When this is pointed out to him, he rightfully freaks out a bit and his skill at the next game nosedives.

Yu Yu was so good when it just straight turned into JoJos.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Bisse posted:

- The videogame battle had a cool ending but was dull and dumb until then
I think it's one of the very few if not the only battle that takes more than 2 episodes (that's not the final showdown or other super important plot confrontation) and I can't understand why. I think it's the most boring battle of Egypt Arc, not to mention tonally weird. You've got some really serios stuff leading up to DIO with Pet Shop and Vanilla Ice, but then suddenly there's a gamer boy.
Unfortunately he's not as silly as Oingo Boingo and being related to D'Arby only hurts him because it reminds you of a much better fight.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jotaro even points out that the other D'arby was a better fight. :allears:

Granted, I do appreciate the fact that it was an encounter that let Joseph do things after he spent all of the first half of Part 3 just being along for the ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I was trying to find a meme I saw once about the darby and vanilla ice fights happening simultaneously but couldn't find it, so have these instead: