Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Dammit completely unprepared for the Qualifier and have 40 play in points

I might just throw poo poo at the fan and do my best because I'm super gem poor I need those gemeralds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

thespaceinvader posted:

If anything is likely to eat a ban (and we're still only a week out from release, give it time) it's Hook. That -x-x wipe plus a bunch of drain is absolutely meta defining, and it's from an older set so they'll try to hit it first if anything needs it.

The problem is that they're in a double bind. Meathook is very clearly OP, but with all the support for wide aggro in the past two sets, having a meta-defining powerful sweeper is the main thing keeping that in check. Getting rid of it before printing a new "sweeper that does a useful thing besides" card risks turning things on their head in favor of token swarms. Which would personally make me happy but I understand why they're reluctant to do it.

I think we might see mono black cut down (heh) to size by banning some of its best lower mana stuff like Tenacious Underdog.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Guildencrantz posted:

The problem is that they're in a double bind. Meathook is very clearly OP, but with all the support for wide aggro in the past two sets, having a meta-defining powerful sweeper is the main thing keeping that in check. Getting rid of it before printing a new "sweeper that does a useful thing besides" card risks turning things on their head in favor of token swarms. Which would personally make me happy but I understand why they're reluctant to do it.

I think we might see mono black cut down (heh) to size by banning some of its best lower mana stuff like Tenacious Underdog.

Temporary lockdown gets tokens pretty dang good.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS
I gave the mono-blue deck from CovertGoBlue a spin today in Standard and it works really well against mono-B or Bx decks. Countering their one play 4 turns in a row, then playing a Haughty Djinn (that got more powerful because of your counterspells you've been playing) is great. The hardest part is protecting the Djinn, but if you're careful about keeping mana open and waiting an extra turn or 2 before playing it out, you can usually get there. It also worked against mono-R and whatever's left of Boros because they run out of gas pretty quick.

Here's the video, he talks a bit in the opening about why he made some of the card choices (like not playing Delver) and how he found to play it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwM-7BDEVpI

Here's the deck: https://aetherhub.com/Deck/mono-blue-tempo--dmu-standard-bo1

I know CGB isn't everyone's cup of tea but the deck works against the current meta pretty well. Also it's pretty light on rares/mythics so it wasn't expensive to craft. I don't usually play U but I had fun with it since it was a bit of a drag losing to B so much recently.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Re: Alchemy chat I think its a lovely money grab and will never spend money (real or in game) on anything related to it, but i wont let its existence stop me from playing hbrawl or historic

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006
Can you see how many play in points you have? I've trophied three drafts so far in DMU, and had three in SNC, but I can't see how many points I have. Does it only show when you have enough to enter?

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
Turns out Blood Pact and Fell Stinger do 6 damage to the opponent's face for 3 mana when you have Sheoldred in play. Feels pretty good!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ObsidianBeast posted:

I gave the mono-blue deck from CovertGoBlue a spin today in Standard and it works really well against mono-B or Bx decks. Countering their one play 4 turns in a row, then playing a Haughty Djinn (that got more powerful because of your counterspells you've been playing) is great. The hardest part is protecting the Djinn, but if you're careful about keeping mana open and waiting an extra turn or 2 before playing it out, you can usually get there. It also worked against mono-R and whatever's left of Boros because they run out of gas pretty quick.

Here's the video, he talks a bit in the opening about why he made some of the card choices (like not playing Delver) and how he found to play it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwM-7BDEVpI

Here's the deck: https://aetherhub.com/Deck/mono-blue-tempo--dmu-standard-bo1

I know CGB isn't everyone's cup of tea but the deck works against the current meta pretty well. Also it's pretty light on rares/mythics so it wasn't expensive to craft. I don't usually play U but I had fun with it since it was a bit of a drag losing to B so much recently.

I've been trying to find a tempo deck and this tempts me but it doesn't really feel like a tempo deck AIUI it just feels like fairly standard blue control with A Finisher.

I wanna find something in Izzet with Balmor, but honestly WB with Virtuouso is probably the closest to a traditional tempo deck at the moment - and might well still have legs, I've not tried.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Lord Banana posted:

Can you see how many play in points you have? I've trophied three drafts so far in DMU, and had three in SNC, but I can't see how many points I have. Does it only show when you have enough to enter?

There's a little poker chip icon next to your wildcards/gold/gems in the top bar that you can hover over, it'll tell you. However I think you can only get play in points from event trophies and not drafts

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

thespaceinvader posted:

I've been trying to find a tempo deck and this tempts me but it doesn't really feel like a tempo deck AIUI it just feels like fairly standard blue control with A Finisher.

It is very much a tempo deck, not a control deck. It's not trying to lock the opponent out of the game and win at leisure as a secondary concern. It can't do that. It doesn't have the tools to do that indefinitely against every potential threat vector. It's just trying to lock the opponent out long enough to kill them with a cheap (for it's power) creature.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Any thoughts for this sealed pool?

https://sealeddeck.tech/QnN10v3SWR

I have a bunch of lands so the domain deck seems like the most obvious option, but the WB sac deck looks kinda appealing as well and i havent been doing very well with the 5c domain stuff in sealed for some reason

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Lord Banana posted:

They are shown when you hover over the wildcard flower up in the top right of the start screen.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

babypolis posted:

Any thoughts for this sealed pool?

https://sealeddeck.tech/QnN10v3SWR

I have a bunch of lands so the domain deck seems like the most obvious option, but the WB sac deck looks kinda appealing as well and i havent been doing very well with the 5c domain stuff in sealed for some reason

Black white core splashing green and wwhatever else works, or WBG splashing what you need to to make Domain work.

I'd be inclined to stay simple and stay in core black simply because of your rares. Stick in some Big Green Dudes to hunt up with Cruelty too.

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006

Mr. Meagles posted:

There's a little poker chip icon next to your wildcards/gold/gems in the top bar that you can hover over, it'll tell you. However I think you can only get play in points from event trophies and not drafts

Ah, it seems you only get play in points for best of three. Which is a bit disappointing, as I don't like the best of three draft structure, only getting three games total so any loss stops you from trophying sucks.

Edit: but one of those was best of three sealed so I should have two? Nothings showing on mobile, will have to check on my pc when I can.

Edit 2: so looking at the rewards for various events it's only traditional draft that gives points of all the limited events. Bit rubbish, but I do want more incentive to bo3. How soft are constructed events? Feels like it's worth spending gold there for gems and play in points, as the qualifiers are so high EV.

Lord Banana fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 10, 2022

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Lord Banana posted:

How soft are constructed events? Feels like it's worth spending gold there for gems and play in points, as the qualifiers are so high EV.

Highly variable. Bring a good standard deck and you can probably farm them long term, but expecting any given run to go well is pretty questionable, and it's very easy to accidentally all your money.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

I would compare the general level of constructed events to Gold ranked ladder. You'll see meta decks, and also some obvious upgraded starter decks. It's my preferred way to covert gold to gems.

Lost my Qualifier entry 0-2 to a Sheoldred and a Defiler of Vigor. All my rares were trash. RIP.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

The 17lands stats page is overwhelming at first, I'd recommend https://www.limitedgrades.com/dmu which takes the win rates and converts them to a letter grade. Also, Dominaria United is a highly synergistic set, so the raw stats might not tell the whole picture. For example, Wingmantle Chaplain is the 4th winningest card in the entire set, but you have to properly draft your deck around it to make it work.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

What's the best easy to check card stats? Alt-tab, ctrl-f, type card name? Or is there some trick to it I'm missing?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"The goal is always no bad drafts. You want to always get at least 3-3 in your bad drafts. Don't tank. Don't have a 0-3 or 1-3 draft." -- Jim Davis

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Urcher posted:

What's the best easy to check card stats? Alt-tab, ctrl-f, type card name? Or is there some trick to it I'm missing?

No good trick, just what you said.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Urcher posted:

This tool scrapes the data and displays it in a little window you can keep onscreen during drafts, if that's helpful

https://github.com/bstaple1/MTGA_Draft_17Lands

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

I brewed this for Standard two hours ago and love it if anyone's looking for a fun beatdown deck. It's surprisingly more consistent than I was expecting - Gaea's Might / Twinferno can close out games really fast.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the thing about midrange is that it's usually a reliable thing to be doing (if not the best thing) in any post-rotation standard environment because aggro and control haven't gotten the tools they need to balance out the midrange strats. see last rotation an example: shambling ghast, deadly dispute, lolth formed the core of a lot of early decks when afr released and they became even more prevalent after rotation with innistrad 3

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I would appreciate some advice on this sealed pool. I was thinking BU at first, maybe with a splash of wg for Shanna, but black is just too weak I think.

https://sealeddeck.tech/FKFWpNakYq

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Speaking of midrange, I saw Jim Davis play this deck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxyoe-P6rao

The reanimator and red discard parts seemed sus but pairing white cards with Fable seemed fun, so I tried this:

Deck
4 Giada, Font of Hope (SNC) 14
4 Spirited Companion (NEO) 38
4 Inspiring Overseer (SNC) 18
4 The Restoration of Eiganjo (NEO) 34
4 Fable of the Mirror-Breaker (NEO) 141
4 Touch the Spirit Realm (NEO) 40
2 Archangel of Wrath (DMU) 3
4 Sanctuary Warden (SNC) 30
2 Elspeth Resplendent (SNC) 11
4 The Wandering Emperor (NEO) 42
8 Plains (HBG) 292
4 Shattered Sanctum (VOW) 264
4 Sundown Pass (VOW) 266
4 Jetmir's Garden (SNC) 250
2 Raffine's Tower (SNC) 254
2 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire (NEO) 268

Early card advantage that also benefits from being Kiki-Jikied, plus ramp to reach the planeswalkers and top-end angels. Elspeth is half a Collected Company that can also get all the enchantments in the deck. Touch the Spirit Realm was chosen to specifically hit Sheoldred.

Felt pretty good to play in testing...

(opponent roped after this)

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 11, 2022

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I am tired of DMU drafts. I can't get past 4 wins. Trying out one more sealed run.

https://sealeddeck.tech/GyS4y89ULo

Any ideas? It's red and something. White's too weak. Blue looks strong with Djinn and the bounce spells. Black weak but there's liliana, and green has some muscle. Either Izzet or Gruul.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Waffleopolis posted:

I am tired of DMU drafts. I can't get past 4 wins. Trying out one more sealed run.

Any ideas? It's red and something. White's too weak. Blue looks strong with Djinn and the bounce spells. Black weak but there's liliana, and green has some muscle. Either Izzet or Gruul.

there are much better players in this thread than me but I'm greedy and would go with this.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Waffleopolis posted:

Sealed is tough. I think you're right about it being Rx. I don't quite know how to use Liliana of the Veil effectively in limited. I slap together a RUb deck that looks alright: https://sealeddeck.tech/DaTDEpdxhr. Might consider Garna but I haven't played with them much.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

:getin:

Edit: this deck is fun

The tokens from Eiganjo and Sanctuary Warden do a lot to mitigate the sac effects that black runs. Spirited Companion is also good for this, common pattern is Restoration of Eiganjo getting back whatever Liliana made me sacrifice or discard and then getting another card on top of it

If I am running the triomes (playing a tapland on 1 is "free" and i can cycle extras) maybe Leyline Binding would be better than touch the spirit realm... I am not willing to spend WCs on it rn though and I haven't seen it in draft lol. Also blinking a Warden is pretty good if they do have exile removal

Oh hmm... Serra Paragon? Is that a good card... I am leaning towards no, I think. Long-term value is potentially nice but it still requires setup to do anything on turns 4/5 and otherwise the rate is medium...

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 11, 2022

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

Kashuno posted:

there are much better players in this thread than me but I'm greedy and would go with this.

I really don't think the mana supports splashing out of BR. I think it has to be straight two-color, out of which you'd probably want to cut repossession as well, definitely play electrostatic and some combination of the other two drops and shadow prophecy just as a draw 2

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Retcon posted:

Got into the mood to play more Obliterator decks in Historic
obliterator, right! that reminds me! I asked for some help with stuff to add to my historic brawl monoblack deck a bit ago, and phyrexian obliterator was one of them. I'd love more suggestions for stuff to add, here's my current list(have not added anything from DMU yet) and also maybe some recommendations to cut, I like most of the cards in the list at this point but I'd obviously have to remove some to keep it at 100 cards:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

thespaceinvader posted:

If anything is likely to eat a ban (and we're still only a week out from release, give it time) it's Hook. That -x-x wipe plus a bunch of drain is absolutely meta defining, and it's from an older set so they'll try to hit it first if anything needs it.
massacre is extremely good but the only card I think is likely to eat a ban in the current meta is fable of the mirror breaker. it's a value card completely above anything else currently available, as evidenced by it being in essentially any deck that runs red

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Fable isn't going to eat a ban because broadly speaking people LIKE what it's been doing to the format. Midrange valuetown opens up space for a LOT of different decks within midrange valuetown and Fable is a giant part of that. Like when Divide by Zero ate a ban for Alrund Epiphany and Hullbreaker Horror's sins, it wasn't just because Divide by Zero was a really good card, it was because people loving hated what the blue decks were doing to the format.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Sealed deck that feels kind of depressing: https://sealeddeck.tech/Fi0TUPzJyt

First thought was to try and take advantage of the 3 Outriders and do some kind of domainy Green/Blue/Black thing, but the lands don't really work out that way. Maybe just straight Blue/Black? Yeesh.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

theres no way you dont run tatyova if you get tatyova imo

i feel like you could scam wins off people even with a horrible soupy 5c mess in sealed if your endgame is tatyova and three outriders

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

obliterator, right! that reminds me! I asked for some help with stuff to add to my historic brawl monoblack deck a bit ago, and phyrexian obliterator was one of them. I'd love more suggestions for stuff to add, here's my current list(have not added anything from DMU yet) and also maybe some recommendations to cut, I like most of the cards in the list at this point but I'd obviously have to remove some to keep it at 100 cards:

This is my Mono B list for Historic Constructed in case you see something you want to add

Still making a lot of changes to the deck since it's just me brewing and i'm not good at making decks. For some weird reason there aren't a lot of people out there playing Mono B Obliterator in Historic!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Obviously going white but are the rares worth going dual color over ? Or look at good uncommon

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

I took the threads advice and tried consulting with https://www.limitedgrades.com/dmu while drafting. It felt very rushed, but the overall result was OK. Wasted one or two picks on having the auto picker grab something for me while I was furiously alt-tabbing.

Went 2-3 with this. https://www.17lands.com/draft/3e00d62a3366452186cefe75160679d9

p1p1 Micromancer felt like the right thing at the time, but a Bone Splinters as the only 1mv sorcery or instant in the rest of pack 1 meant I didn't end up using it.

Game 1 W felt pretty good. It took about 5 turns longer than expected to win this because my opponent had a bunch of combat tricks.

Game 2 L I probably should have played more conservatively and kept mana free for essence scatters instead of playing my Pixie Illusionist.

Game 3 L I might have been better off keeping my essence scatters for later in the game instead of playing them early.

Game 4 W was an easy win because my opponent flooded while I held 2 Essence Scatters and an Ertai's Scorn so I could slowly ping them to death with my fliers while stopping them from playing more creatures.

Game 5 L I probably should have kept mana free for the Essence Scatter again. If I hadn't lightning bolted the Argivian Captain I could have countered the Defiler of Flesh.

Looks like the lesson here is to not worry too much about early threats and save my answers for when my opponent has ~4 mana.

wei
Jul 27, 2006
Probably going to be too late for most of these because I was busy playing paper magic (I top 8ed my DMU RCQ!!), but here goes

Fenris13 posted:

I would appreciate some advice on this sealed pool. I was thinking BU at first, maybe with a splash of wg for Shanna, but black is just too weak I think.

https://sealeddeck.tech/FKFWpNakYq

https://sealeddeck.tech/mgJT9NQWgt

Black looks great to me. I put in the mind rot for the Raven Man gimmick here, it should probably just be Gaea's Might.

Waffleopolis posted:

https://sealeddeck.tech/4BhzhETH8E

Rx aggro isn't streamlined enough, and you have Reposession + Planeswalker and 2 sweepers so I want to be a greed pile. I'm not thrilled to play sorcery fixing but it's mostly there to enable Lili and the black sweeper's double pips, which should be worth it. The blue cards in the pool are really good but I think Jund has the best plan.

Quotey posted:

Sealed deck that feels kind of depressing: https://sealeddeck.tech/Fi0TUPzJyt

First thought was to try and take advantage of the 3 Outriders and do some kind of domainy Green/Blue/Black thing, but the lands don't really work out that way. Maybe just straight Blue/Black? Yeesh.

https://sealeddeck.tech/i0nFed9zG0 This manabase looks pretty good to me. I haven't really seen a good Threats Undetected deck, but maybe it works here? There's beef at 4, 5, 7 power and cards your opponent can't really let you have at 2, 3 power.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Obviously going white but are the rares worth going dual color over ? Or look at good uncommon

export the pool to sealeddeck.tech and post it here, usually builds depend on the duals you open rather than the rares but yeah you have some good ones.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

wei posted:

Probably going to be too late for most of these because I was busy playing paper magic (I top 8ed my DMU RCQ!!), but here goes

https://sealeddeck.tech/mgJT9NQWgt

Black looks great to me. I put in the mind rot for the Raven Man gimmick here, it should probably just be Gaea's Might.

https://sealeddeck.tech/4BhzhETH8E

Rx aggro isn't streamlined enough, and you have Reposession + Planeswalker and 2 sweepers so I want to be a greed pile. I'm not thrilled to play sorcery fixing but it's mostly there to enable Lili and the black sweeper's double pips, which should be worth it. The blue cards in the pool are really good but I think Jund has the best plan.

https://sealeddeck.tech/i0nFed9zG0 This manabase looks pretty good to me. I haven't really seen a good Threats Undetected deck, but maybe it works here? There's beef at 4, 5, 7 power and cards your opponent can't really let you have at 2, 3 power.

export the pool to sealeddeck.tech and post it here, usually builds depend on the duals you open rather than the rares but yeah you have some good ones.

On iPad unfortunately :( would have otherwise. I ended up running a Boros list that is doing pretty well (4-0 so well) which is great after going 0-3, 1-3, 1-3 on the drafts lol

The only dual color I have is Baird that suits the deck but I have some good 2 and 3 mana commons with kicker that keep them relevant in late game. Just won a match where Guardian kept discarding stuff to let me bring back Squee over and over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

wei posted:

swag, congrats

I'm not really a sealed person normally, but I've been having a lot of fun with trad sealed this time around. It feels like a well-balanced set, you can make a deck out of anything. I've never put together a DMU sealed deck and felt like it was anemic or uncohesive. There's a lot of synergy and common and everything just fits together really well