Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

chiasaur11 posted:

I know at least a few shonen authors have made long term plans that they carried through, especially in shorter runs. For example, Tatsuki Fujimoto explained the names of some of his characters in a way that confirmed he knew how things would end with them from the start.
Yeah - having a few late game things planned from the start but not knowing how you'll get there is super shonen. The most obvious recent one I remember is the super late reveal about soma's mom in shokugeki no soma that was about 10x better than the chapters before or after it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

SgtSteel91 posted:

Another week and Akane Banashi still owns

You can totally understand where Arakawa is coming from and why he believes only the best of the best are needed to keep Rakugo alive, even if it means expelling an entire class. And Akane doesn’t really dismiss that, but she’s going to make him admit that cutting her father’s style was wrong. And now the two rivals from the competition are going into Rakugo schools of their own. Really interesting if they bring their modern take/voice acting specialities and combine it with Rakugo to compete with Akane’s traditional method she’s developing.
It was so good for real. If this the first arc over I really hope it's doing good because I want to keep reading for a long time.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SgtSteel91 posted:

You can totally understand where Arakawa is coming from and why he believes only the best of the best are needed to keep Rakugo alive, even if it means expelling an entire class. And Akane doesn’t really dismiss that, but she’s going to make him admit that cutting her father’s style was wrong. And now the two rivals from the competition are going into Rakugo schools of their own. Really interesting if they bring their modern take/voice acting specialities and combine it with Rakugo to compete with Akane’s traditional method she’s developing.

It's just never not amazing. I legit look forward to this significantly more than Spy x Family and Dandadan and I loving love those two. Akane-Banashi just...loving WORKS. Like I can't explain it in words, but it's just amazingly good.

Pierson posted:

It was so good for real. If this the first arc over I really hope it's doing good because I want to keep reading for a long time.

Same.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tokyo Demon Bride Story - enjoyable enough but has pretty much the same plot as other series that got canned so not sure what exactly it is going to bring to the table that will make it a success.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Rip earthchild, you sucked

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I have nothing positive to say about Earthchild, other than that it didn’t have creepy fanservice. I on some level will miss it, because hating on that thing was kind of fun.

Tokyo Demon Bride Story seems cool, I like the art.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I went back to the first chapter of Earthchild and it was good and had some really neat moments like the MC jumping out of a hospital window to propose as she caught him, with the backdrop being the city. The idea of a single dad being left to raise a super-powered baby could have gone in a lot of interesting directions.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Akane Banashi: Looking back at previous posts it really does look like the reason Akane’s dad was expelled is because he choked at the beginning, and even though he salvaged it and ended it strong, in Isshin’s mind you can’t show weakness ever if you want to keep Rakugo relevant in an age of plentiful entertainment media consumption.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Tokyo Demon Bride Story - enjoyable enough but has pretty much the same plot as other series that got canned so not sure what exactly it is going to bring to the table that will make it a success.

Yeah, I gotta admire the guts on Tokyo Demon Bride Story author for going with with the same starting premise as Bone Collector, Ayashimon and probably at least one other canceled series I forgot. I liked the first chapter and it looks promising, but again, I thought the same when I read Bone Collector and Ayashimon. :v:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

SgtSteel91 posted:

Akane's resolve is also exactly the result Arakawa wanted from expelling that entire class; he wants the next generation to step up and shine in this modern age, and already there's a young, potential star before him in Akane that might have what it takes. If crushing the dreams of an entire class is what it took to get her, he'd gladly do it again.

I'm also looking forward to the rivals and their future training. Should be really good drama in the future and hopefully all three of them prove to Arakawa that there's room for all styles of Rakugo in the modern world.

Whenever we get the eventual Akane-Banashi anime, I hope it's huge and has the same effect on Rakugo that Hikaru no Go had for Go.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Tokyo Demon Bride Story seems cool, I like the art.

Yeah, it looks nice, and I'm more interested in this at the start than I was in Aliens Area, PPPPPP, and Earthchild.

And speaking of which,

Fabricated posted:

Rip earthchild, you sucked

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Just need to have one written by someone with enough clout at Shounen Jump to prevent the series from getting an untimely demise.

Also, yeah one of the big issues with Earthchild is that it occasionally had some interesting plot ideas, but wasn't willing to follow through with them at all, and instead doubled down on its really stupid ones.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Sakamoto Days - The janitor is either gonna be the database's guardian , or he also has photographic memory and IS the database. Also, everytime the movie director shows up he looks more and more like a Jojo character to me.

Mashle - It's really hard to care about these ultra formulaic fights, I wonder if it's gonna be the same for all of the villain's sons.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

wow this mashle chapter is shameless. it's literally ripped straight out of naruto and not even as a joke

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Elusive Samurai: gently caress that was a great chapter. The dude getting power ups through the power of VOLCEL FANTASY was amazing. Also the whole "getting your men to shoot your ally to trigger up his righteous anger buff" is a pretty neat tactic, I dig it! I still hope the righteous anger dude gets killed while having his ideals questioned and destroyed because gently caress a dude who thinks asking a teen to fight him 1-on-1 is righteous and fair in any manner.

Mashle: I'm a sucker for scenes like this, I admit. When's the last time we saw Mash, anyways.

Me & Roboco: A great, fun chapter. One of those chapters were everyone gets super into something trivial and it's really great from start to finish because of all the justifications and overly in-depth analysis of everyone's snacks. Even the "bananas don't count" brick joke working in Motuso's favor to bolster his parfait. The ending was fuckin' great too, teach just eating half the pocky so the student's snacks are under the limit again. I should really visit a candy store or something in Japan, because I sincerely doubt I can find stuff at that price in Korea.

Sakamoto Days: drat old people are badass. There's probs more to the story with the wife's death. Also hell yeah more mayhem.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

can't wait for mash to not be dead anymore so he can do some dr slump poo poo instead of these endless pingpong powerups

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Demon bride was fun but I'll echo the other posts about how it'll survive. I also got really annoyed with speech bubble placement. Maybe it's the first time I've noticed it in Manga, but this chapter constantly had speech appearing on the opposite side of the panel from the character who was talking.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
I'm ready for Mashle to end, frankly. It's only worthwhile when it features Mash being Mash and this is all wheel spinning.

Like, obviously the intent here is to give the side cast their time in the sun before the end, but the side cast have always been the series's weak point. They're paper-thin props for Mash to be Mash at, not characters who can support scenes on their own, especially not dramatic ones. Gravity McSisterhaver, Skunk Stripe, Skunk Stripe's Brother, and Oh Yeah Wasn't There A Girl Too? have at most one personality trait each. Dot exists to be surprised and lose fights. The absolute end of the series is way too late to try shoving in some unearned character development.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
To be fair to Mashle, the only side character with a story is siscon. He’s a talented double liner from a strong family with a not quite dead sister who lost her magic. This fight was at least vaguely interesting if you like Lance. (I do, but I like Mash better)
But all the others are indeed completely 1 note.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Really, Mashle's girl character's only utility is making jokes at the expense of one awful (in universe) character in Sleepless Domain.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I like the side characters in Mashle but if you're gonna snake road Mashle out of the plot for months have him hallucinate about fighting super strong cream puffs or something to break up the purestrain shonen.

But I guess we're rushing through to just see what the cast was intended to do before it ends.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I just wanted to echo how drat good Akane Banashi is, and I think it's become the chapter I look forward to most each week.

It takes something you wouldn't expect to be engaging to a general reader and makes it exciting

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Has there been any word on how the Ruri Dragon author is doing?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

New series

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/ginka-and-gluna-chapter-1/chapter/25454?action=read

That is some breakneck pacing

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Definitely has a strong start; clear premise, distinctive art that isn't too distracting in its style and well defined characters. Although as we saw with Ayashimon that isn't always enough to stave off cancellation.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

One might say things snowballed out of control.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

I'm cautiously optimistic. It definitely doesn't have the same problems as Red Hood.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

I liked it a lot. The only question is if it can maintain any sense of tension and continue to tell an interesting story from here.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
gently caress, Super Smartphone is really keeping my interest here. Love Q's deduction stuff.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Finally got around to reading the first chapter of Tokyo Demon Bride and.. Ehhhh man there's some creepy stuff in it. I hate the "childhood friends promise to marry as kids, girl grows up hot and remembers" trope cus it's so low effort. Then this series decided to also have two (step!) sisters (one older big sister type and one younger lil sister type) added in to live with him, because having one cute girl that cares about the male protag through no effort on his part wasn't enough. I'm hoping it doesn't do anything gross with the sisters, but considering the setup I don't have any wild hopes for it. Second chapter was okay I guess, more of a setup chap. I like that there's actually a named character in a wheelchair, at least! Maybe I'm being a bit judgey, it hasn't had anything explicitly sexual like Ayakashi Triangle or anything. But like, there hasn't been a single named male character other than protag so far lol, and there are definitely a few red flags.

Ginka & Gluna is immediately more interesting just from the first few colored pages lmao. Definitely quite fast pacing, but I'm into it. Setup is interesting and I like the two mains, excited to see where it goes!

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 12, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I Am Fowl posted:

gently caress, Super Smartphone is really keeping my interest here. Love Q's deduction stuff.

I really want it to pick up in the rankings. I heard it did not do great with sales but I really want it to continue.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

I Am Fowl posted:

I'm enjoying it too. The kids who fill out the surveys don't seem to be enjoying it so much, unfortunately: https://www.reddit.com/r/MangaRanking/comments/xaw7g3/weekly_shonen_jump_ranking_41_september_12_2022/

Having said that, it's possible the series can survive a while longer. They've just cut two series and added two new ones, so maybe they'll wait a while before cutting or adding another. The biggest threat is probably the return of Ruri Dragon and/or Hunter x Hunter.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

No kidding. Feels like it jammed the first volume into a chapter, and not in a good way. Another potential issue is that magic is set up to do anything. Limitations matter as much as abilities in setting up conflict, and here we don't have any set up.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it rushed through the setup, sure. but who knows, it might be rushing toward something interesting. or maybe it is earthchild 2.0, who knows? it's too soon to tell.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Tbh I'm happy that it didn't spend 3-4 chapters on her learning magic or whatever if that's not the main focus. If the main plot is "let's find your body" then I think it's good to get straight to it and not waste time on setup that won't be relevant after a few chaps.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I was half expecting her to just levitate the whole mountain and they'd use it as a floating base or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

Finally got around to reading the first chapter of Tokyo Demon Bride and.. Ehhhh man there's some creepy stuff in it. I hate the "childhood friends promise to marry as kids, girl grows up hot and remembers" trope cus it's so low effort. Then this series decided to also have two (step!) sisters (one older big sister type and one younger lil sister type) added in to love with him, because having one cute girl that cares about the male protag through no effort on his part wasn't enough. I'm hoping it doesn't do anything gross with the sisters, but considering the setup I don't have any wild hopes for it. Second chapter was okay I guess, more of a setup chap. I like that there's actually a named character in a wheelchair, at least! Maybe I'm being a bit judgey, it hasn't had anything explicitly sexual like Ayakashi Triangle or anything. But like, there hasn't been a single named character other than protag so far lol, and there are definitely a few red flags.

Ginka & Gluna is immediately more interesting just from the first few colored pages lmao. Definitely quite fast pacing, but I'm into it. Setup is interesting and I like the two mains, excited to see where it goes!

I pretty much instantly checked out of the concept when characters started acting the romantic interest how old she was like she was a little child because nope that isn't going anywhere good.

chiasaur11 posted:

No kidding. Feels like it jammed the first volume into a chapter, and not in a good way. Another potential issue is that magic is set up to do anything. Limitations matter as much as abilities in setting up conflict, and here we don't have any set up.

I think you can tell a good magic story where magic can do anything. I really loved Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell for example which was a book about stodgy British fucks trying to categorize and control something which is inherently uncontrollable and absurdly powerful.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Just read the latest Show-ha Shoten. I'm guessing that they might get second place because of Shijima's gently caress-up here, and that the next "arc" will be about people trying to poach Higashikata (and Shijima maybe agreeing with them, but Higashikata himself obviously won't). Or they'll still win thanks to Higashikata's talent recovering the situation, leading to the same issue. I guess it'll culminate in some way with Shijima trying to improve his acting/performance skills.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I think you can tell a good magic story where magic can do anything. I really loved Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell for example which was a book about stodgy British fucks trying to categorize and control something which is inherently uncontrollable and absurdly powerful.

Sure, but this is a shonen manga. We know perfectly well that the story will heavily involve the protagonists dealing with external obstacles of some sort, probably involving fighting.

To be fair, it's fairly common for shonen protagonists to seem unbeatable at the end of Chapter 1 or 2, only to reveal their limits by the end of the first arc. "Naruto can make almost unlimited copies of himself, and even Mizuki, a chunin, was helpless against all those copies!" "So Asta's power lets him just negate everybody else's powers?! Plus he's the only person in his world who exercises!"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

I think it depends on how it's utilized. Like Stands in JoJo and those even have established rules and limitations that are broken almost constantly, but it leads to some incredible character and story moments.

Also on this week's batch:

Witch Watch: these denim chapters are oddly compelling.

Sakamoto Days: Some incredibly good movement this chapter. Hope the old lady makes it through okay when poo poo starts going down.

Mashle: the story may not be doing anything notable, but drat I love the art in this chapter a whole lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Witch Watch existing as like stealth exterior to otaku interest nerd manga is really fun. The author just going ham on the minutia and vocab of a specific sub hobby of a sub hobby is great