Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Randarkman posted:

Whatever it is you are trying to say about people like Applebaum being cold warriors or whatever, no one in the West "chose Putin", nor did anyone outside Russia.

The west decided that rightist nationalism was the solution to the USSR and exalted people like Solzhenitsyn. They helped Yeltsin at every turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

The west decided that rightist nationalism was the solution to the USSR and exalted people like Solzhenitsyn. They helped Yeltsin at every turn.

I fail to see how this conversation adds to the discussion or current events of the war.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I fail to see how this conversation adds to the discussion or current events of the war.

While it can be ignored, I don't think people should be allowed to just fling implied bullshit and not be challenged on it, or at least that the posts that can spawn such discussions are warned off before anyone answers if possible.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

orcane posted:

It wasn't even a week, it took all of two days :laffo:, I think you mean this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikhail_Khodaryonok

E: Had to link to Wikipedia because I can't find the posts about it in this thread right now.
Thanks, yep that's him. I tracked down the original article too: https://nvo.ng.ru/realty/2022-02-03/3_1175_donbass.html (or google translated: https://nvo-ng-ru.translate.goog/realty/2022-02-03/3_1175_donbass.html?_x_tr_sl=ru&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp)

It's pretty fun read if you haven't seen it yet. Here's a sample

quote:

To assert that no one in Ukraine will defend the regime means, in practice, complete ignorance of the military-political situation and the mood of the broad masses of the people in the neighboring state. Moreover, the degree of hatred (which, as you know, is the most effective fuel for armed struggle) in the neighboring republic in relation to Moscow is frankly underestimated. No one will meet the Russian army with bread, salt and flowers in Ukraine.

It seems that the events in the south-east of Ukraine in 2014 did not teach anyone anything. Then, after all, they also expected that the entire left-bank Ukraine would turn into Novorossia in a single impulse and in a matter of seconds. We have already drawn maps, figured out the personnel of future administrations of cities and regions, and developed state flags.

But even the Russian-speaking population of this part of Ukraine (including such cities as Kharkov, Zaporozhye, Dnepropetrovsk, Mariupol) did not support such plans in their vast majority. The project "Novorossiya" was somehow imperceptibly blown away and quietly died.
Extremely obvious poo poo for anyone whose head isn't 100% up Putin's rear end, that turned out to be 100%, so it's hilarious that he had to walk everything back despite being absolutely correct about everything. Dictatorship, not even once.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Randarkman posted:

While it can be ignored, I don't think people should be allowed to just fling implied bullshit and not be challenged on it, or at least that the posts that can spawn such discussions are warned off before anyone answers if possible.

To the majority of posts, I prefer to give the benefit of doubt, that they’ll figure out to stop on their own to not cause an excessive and lengthy discussion. I have no plans for changing this approach, especially given that I warned them on their second post on the topic.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rust Martialis posted:

That might be Ukrainian, not seeing the colors I expect on a RuAF jet

Looking really closely and disclaimer: It's really blurry, but the colors of the tail seem to match, and there is this weird red blotch that shows up on RuAF-jets, at least going by Russian jet pictures I've randomly googled.

The way it looks, it seems the jet started losing parts while passing the observer, so it's probably a maintenance-issue that caused the crash.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 12, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Randarkman posted:

It's not "implied bullshit" that nationalists took over the republics. You know what the Russian flag is, right?

"The Ukraine will be an extremely painful problem. But we must realize that the feelings of the whole people are now at white heat. Since the two peoples have not succeeded over the centuries in living harmoniously, it is up to us to show sense. We must leave the decision to the Ukrainians themselves — let federalists and separatists try their persuasions.

Not to give way would be fool- hardy and cruel. And the gentler, the more tolerant, the more careful to explain ourselves we are now, the more hope there will be of restoring unity in the future.

Let them live their own lives, let them see how it works. They will soon find that not all problems are solved by secession."

"The provocative outcry about "genocide" only began to take shape decades later - at first quietly, inside spiteful, anti-Russian, chauvinistic minds - and now it has spun off into the government circles of modern-day Ukraine, who have thus outdone even the wild inventions of Bolshevik agitprop.

To the parliaments of the world: This vicious defamation is easy to insinuate into Western minds. They have never understood our history: You can sell them any old fairy tale, even one as mindless as this."

I wonder where Putin got his material for is speech in February? I wonder what someone like Applebaum thinks of that person?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 12, 2022

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

The Lone Badger posted:

If you're riding an APC how do you communicate to the driver that you just saw something and they need to stop/drive faster/do donuts right loving now?

If the vehicle commander is out if the hatch you can yell. Helmets used by vehicle crews have active noise cancelation headphones and which have hear-through that let's you hear human voices and maintain some situational awareness. It's similar technology to what you get in a nice headset today, except the US military had it 25 years ago.

Or someone in the back wears a vehicle helmet with headset and you just use the intercom.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i would assume you'd use a radio

Usually not, at least when I was in. The new squad radios are small enough and presumably have good enough batteries that you might do that today, though. I've noticed hearing protection--a lot of hooch has audio capability - - seems to be really common in this war. It reminds me of how eye protection became ubiquitous in the early 2000s.

FishBulbia - Stop "wondering". It smacks of "just asking questions.". If you have an argument to make, even if it's argument - by-assertion--then make it.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
There's been a consistent dot on the FIRMs map south of Odessa for the last few days and I'm curious as to what it might be....

Seems to have started around the 8th (if I'm using the site features properly :shrug:). I can't remember seeing any articles or discussion, and it appears to be getting more severe ( more dots and more recent when you zoom in) Any clues?

Edit: there was a rig fire some weeks ago if I recall... did it flare up again?

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 12, 2022

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
FIRMS fire:
https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/map/#d:24hrs;@30.9,45.6,9z

Boyko towers
https://www.offshore-energy.biz/after-missiles-hit-black-sea-platforms-reports-indicate-fire-still-burning/

Located about 70 kilometres south of Odesa, the three platforms (BK-1, BK-2, and BK-3) are situated at the Odeske gas field on the continental shelf of the Black Sea. After being discovered in 2009, the field was developed by Chornomornaftogaz, a subsidiary of Ukraine’s state-owned energy company, Naftogaz.

After Russia annexed the Crimea Peninsula in 2014, the platforms were seized by the Russian-backed regime in Crimea.

In an interview with TSN, Oleg Zhdanov, a military expert, described the Boyko towers as “military installations” and “ears and eyes of the Russian Black Sea Fleet,” adding that “radar stations and maritime radars were placed on these towers, which gave the Russian Federation the opportunity to control the entire Black Sea area along our coast.” Zhdanov further stated that the strike on these offshore platforms “deprived the Russian fleet of the ability to control the Black Sea.”

Sentinel 1 satellite:
https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/eo-br...3D=%22MAPZEN%22

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 12, 2022

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

gay picnic defence posted:

You still see an awful lot of "this is entirely America's fault for trying to expand NATO" too.

Which totally ignores the fact that nations are flocking to join NATO on their own accord for some reason.

I genuinely don't understand the argument that NATO is an imminent threat to Russia. Russia has nukes. Nobody is interested in militarily challenging their territorial sovereignty outside their imperialist goings on. Admittedly it's a weak argument and not comparable but Mexico is in theory an unfriendly neighbor to the United States who could potentially challenge it's sovereignty over Texas even though doing so would mean a massive military response and potential nuclear defense for limited gains.

:supaburn: invade invade invade!!

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1569286506929442826
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1569241576223944705

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I genuinely don't understand the argument that NATO is an imminent threat to Russia. Russia has nukes. Nobody is interested in militarily challenging their territorial sovereignty outside their imperialist goings on. Admittedly it's a weak argument and not comparable but Mexico is in theory an unfriendly neighbor to the United States who could potentially challenge it's sovereignty over Texas even though doing so would mean a massive military response and potential nuclear defense for limited gains.

The issue is that Russia's view of its territorial sovereignty somewhat overlaps the national borders of other countries, including NATO countries.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Ok... it's definitely them, but the article is about the strikes in June and they've been absent from FIRMS maps in the interim until just a few days ago...

Were there new strikes, or did they just go boom again?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Is an argument made entirely in bad faith

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

evilweasel posted:

The issue is that Russia's view of its territorial sovereignty somewhat overlaps the national borders of other countries, including NATO countries.

Well, I don't see Poland giving up any territory, so Russia will have to decide whether or not it wants to be happy or unhappy.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Next in line for "the talk"?

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Cable Guy posted:

Ok... it's definitely them, but the article is about the strikes in June and they've been absent from FIRMS maps in the interim until just a few days ago...

Were there new strikes, or did they just go boom again?

Maybe they’re burning off gas since they’re not piping it to Europe anymore. No idea about how those rigs are connected up but I remember a story from a week or two ago about Russia burning off excess gas.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Girkin’s conclusion that what we need is more civilian strikes is questionable, but I do like his turn of phrase with the “Kremlin inhabitants of the Planet of Pink Ponies.” He’s really going all-in on the idea that the Kremlin doesn’t know what it’s doing.

Leaving anything else aside I’m genuinely curious if he personally believes the war can actually still be won or if he’s just pandering to his base about how wise and far-seeing he is as a leader unlike the Kremlin.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The retort is that NATO now holding Ukraine will give it a base for a nuclear decapitation strike of Moscow which is totally a plausible thing. Never mind the Baltic states are like the exact same distance and the whole Russia has nuclear subs and a land area that is Russia sized.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

deathbysnusnu posted:

The retort is that NATO now holding Ukraine will give it a base for a nuclear decapitation strike of Moscow which is totally a plausible thing. Never mind the Baltic states are like the exact same distance and the whole Russia has nuclear subs and a land area that is Russia sized.

Or that this theoretical decapitation strike could simply be launched from Colorado.

I understand that you don't want your enemies to have bases near your borders because that makes you easier to invade. But the baltics already exist and I don't forsee NATO or any other military invading Russia unless they specifically accounted for all of their nuclear weapons hidden and otherwise and destroyed them all at once. And that's not realistic.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Or that their response to Finland joining wasn't to invade them immediately to neutralize this deadly threat... but to shuffle a few missiles around and release a firm statement about it.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Like poo poo sometimes an imperialist land grab is exactly that.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Cuba would be a closer equivalent, USA got really spicy when the friendly dictator was overthrown there and things then escalated to the edge of nuclear war because US leaders thought that they had the right to put missiles in Turkey but Soviet missiles in Cuba would be a threat to world peace. Although I wouldn't compare them too hard because the situations of USA and Russia were quite different. USA in the 1960's was a superpower protecting what it felt was its established sphere of influence against a rising competitor, whereas Russia in 2014 was still recovering from the collapse of the old empire. Putin tried to re-establish Russian empire first through soft measures i.e. Eurasian Economic Union, but when Euromaidan seemed to threaten that plan, he went for hard measures. Cuba in itself was never THAT important for anyone in the States.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

Well, I don't see Poland giving up any territory, so Russia will have to decide whether or not it wants to be happy or unhappy.

What if Putin made a deal with Germany and Austria? It has worked so many times before!

(Some people really seem to believe that you can just partition a common neighbour in anno domini 2022, remember that map of Ukraine divided between Russia, Poland and Hungary?)

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Nenonen posted:

Cuba would be a closer equivalent, USA got really spicy when the friendly dictator was overthrown there and things then escalated to the edge of nuclear war because US leaders thought that they had the right to put missiles in Turkey but Soviet missiles in Cuba would be a threat to world peace. Although I wouldn't compare them too hard because the situations of USA and Russia were quite different. USA in the 1960's was a superpower protecting what it felt was its established sphere of influence against a rising competitor, whereas Russia in 2014 was still recovering from the collapse of the old empire. Putin tried to re-establish Russian empire first through soft measures i.e. Eurasian Economic Union, but when Euromaidan seemed to threaten that plan, he went for hard measures. Cuba in itself was never THAT important for anyone in the States.

This is a fantastic point and I'm genuinely kicking myself for missing the parallel.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

In many ways, the philosophy behind Russia's actions is very Trumpian. "Purchase Greenland" or "take Iraq's oil" would have been very normal in the 19th century, but nowadays it will get you weird looks.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nenonen posted:

In many ways, the philosophy behind Russia's actions is very Trumpian. "Purchase Greenland" or "take Iraq's oil" would have been very normal in the 19th century, but nowadays it will get you weird looks.

It's just the aesthetics of neoliberal empire though, you can still do all that stuff you just have to funnel it through a obfuscatory veil of shell companies and allow all the courtiers to wet their beaks a little

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Libluini posted:

Looking really closely and disclaimer: It's really blurry, but the colors of the tail seem to match, and there is this weird red blotch that shows up on RuAF-jets, at least going by Russian jet pictures I've randomly googled.

The way it looks, it seems the jet started losing parts while passing the observer, so it's probably a maintenance-issue that caused the crash.

The top post in r/aviation said

redditor posted:

This is quite interesting.

It looks like right-guy had a lapse of judgement on their formation spacing and does two things that get him killed:

First, at low speed and in a dirty config, he changes his vertical lift vector by entering a steep bank. This in its own is recoverable, he has traded altitude for speed (to the left).

Second, he crosses the wake turbulence of his wingman while he has a reduced vertical lift component. The wings are trying to take purchase with air that is crazy turbulent. This further reduces the effectivity of the wing, deepening the stall past the point of recovery.

I’m reasonably sure I’d also hesitate to yank the ejection seat at that altitude and that insane attitude. I think you’d get rocketed into those trees or into the ground if you punched out.

I’m a civvy pilot, so I might be a bit off. If we have any fighter drivers please correct me.

edit: this is all, of course, if there was no mechanical failure that precipitated the accident

edit 2: I’m really not buying the engine failure scenario based on the exhaust. He was already past the point of recovery when his tail smoke converged with his lead’s, and when he was fully developed into the stall the exhaust seemingly disappears. I don’t know, just seems that way to me.

I don't know anything about planes though so no idea how valid/invalid this is

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

On Lyman:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1569317635887702021?s=20&t=HBX-kOb2bdYonXuNuAlqjg

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
nvm

Charlotte Hornets fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 12, 2022

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
nvm

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 12, 2022

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Nenonen posted:

On the other hand, though, it isn’t the ‘60s anymore whether politically or technologically. I’m not entirely up on Cold War tech, but wasn’t part of the reason why Cuba/Turkey mattered because given the tech available at the time, it was one of the few ways one could hypothetically launch a successful first strike that precluded retaliation? Which given nuclear submarines and mobile launchers isn’t really the case anymore and nobody seriously believes in the possibility of a successful first strike, thus making missiles in Ukraine a bit of a pointless exercise?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/papandopoolo/status/1569277595274838016?s=20&t=hJ3r8lg9HASL0diNlSRvqw

Images from Ukraine's capture of Syvatohirsk (should be SFW despite the Twitter warning)

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Tomn posted:

On the other hand, though, it isn’t the ‘60s anymore whether politically or technologically. I’m not entirely up on Cold War tech, but wasn’t part of the reason why Cuba/Turkey mattered because given the tech available at the time, it was one of the few ways one could hypothetically launch a successful first strike that precluded retaliation? Which given nuclear submarines and mobile launchers isn’t really the case anymore and nobody seriously believes in the possibility of a successful first strike, thus making missiles in Ukraine a bit of a pointless exercise?

Yeah, it isn't that much of a factor anymore. It matters for short and medium range missiles and bombs but we have ICBMs and nuclear submarines now.

There is a new factor of antimissle defense, but that is no where near enough to deal with more than a handful of missles.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 12, 2022

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Nenonen posted:

No one is giving China and the US wierd looks over their confrontation in East Asia. Great power politics will be great power politics till the end of time or until human beings breed out the tribalist mechanical instincts out of their mind. It is pointless trying to "understand" Putin/Russia's motivation if you inherently reject the existence of this way of thinking. We have talked about it in circles over and over again itt.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

No nuke chat, please.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Wasn't that the tankie rhetoric from day 1 of the war, immediately after "don't be silly russia would never invade" of course. Now just more desperate of course.

In 20 years you'll be watching some 15 year old making a very impassioned speech on Internet 3.0 about how evil the CIA was to overthrow the Ukrainian government, how Zelenksy was a US puppet and Ukraine invaded Russia first. And a bunch of other 15 tear olds will be nodding in agreement.

And now matter how much you explain to them that is not what happened and you have very clear memory of it and there is a mountain of evidence disproving their assertions they'll just respond with "That is what they want you to think".

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

MegaZeroX posted:

https://twitter.com/papandopoolo/status/1569277595274838016?s=20&t=hJ3r8lg9HASL0diNlSRvqw

Images from Ukraine's capture of Syvatohirsk (should be SFW despite the Twitter warning)

Yeah was just about to post another one from there, it doesnt look like UKR are stopping does it?

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1569330882514767882

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Tomn posted:

Sure, but even before a single Soviet missile was sent to Cuba, USA had tried training Cuban exiles and sending them to launch a counter-revolution, as well as CIA planning to assassinate Castro. The missile crisis was the culmination point of a conflict that had started earlier.