Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

These are also people positioning to cross the floor once PeePee poopoo pants gets in. They’re very specifically using the same terminology he is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megahtz
Jun 24, 2020

by Hand Knit
pouring one out for all those guys mad about black people in their fantasy tv shows

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

....what was stopping them from crossing the floor before? Was O'Toole not good enough to be PM and they just decided "nah, we'll stick with Trudeau 2 for now"

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Aces High posted:

....what was stopping them from crossing the floor before? Was O'Toole not good enough to be PM and they just decided "nah, we'll stick with Trudeau 2 for now"

Yes

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Again, I don't know if I'm just in a weird out of touch bubble, but my steadfastly-conservative parents' opinion on PP is "gently caress it, I'll spoil my ballot."

I've had words with them about the assholes they vote for not actually reflecting the values they taught me, and it's led to jack poo poo, but this is one step too far for them.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

PT6A posted:

Again, I don't know if I'm just in a weird out of touch bubble, but my steadfastly-conservative parents' opinion on PP is "gently caress it, I'll spoil my ballot."

I've had words with them about the assholes they vote for not actually reflecting the values they taught me, and it's led to jack poo poo, but this is one step too far for them.

They’re 110% going to vote for cons

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Noblesse Obliged posted:

They’re 110% going to vote for cons

Oh, quite likely yes. But they at least cared enough to pretend they were disgusted by the idea.

And, hey, they're still pissed off about the Ottawa protesters and the Coutts blockade, so.... PP might be uniquely unpalatable to them. My mum was going through lung cancer treatments through the pandemic, so they feel pretty strongly about the pandemic poo poo. I can hope...

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Our only hope is that the NDP's desperate attempt to justify its existence might lead to the Liberals doing things people actually care about enough that the Old Stock Canadians' natural desire to embrace white supremacist fascism will be tempered by their self-interest. Otherwise, it's going to be Trump all over again and we, too, will discover one day that we're actually a lot shittier and more hosed as a country than we thought.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Arivia posted:

I woke up this morning.

Way to get cancelled, Arivia

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

infernal machines posted:

Way to get cancelled, Arivia

look the way my life is going i'll take what little privileges i can get

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
It’s a wrap. None of the centrist parties know how to talk about how/why everything is poo poo right now in a compelling way so PP is gonna slide his slimy rear end right into 24 Sussex’s ample foyer.

Best we can hope for is the Liberals absorb the NDP, manage to hold on for another cycle and the cons turf PP for not instantly winning.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ZShakespeare posted:

It’s a wrap. None of the centrist parties know how to talk about how/why everything is poo poo right now in a compelling way so PP is gonna slide his slimy rear end right into 24 Sussex’s ample foyer.

Best we can hope for is the Liberals absorb the NDP, manage to hold on for another cycle and the cons turf PP for not instantly winning.

Can't wait for the discourse of four years' time from now of "Wait, so we outlawed abortion and gay marriage, and our privatized healthcare system collapsed somehow... and I'm still poor? What the gently caress? I thought Pierre was my friend :smith:"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Been trying to remember what it was like when Harper was losing popularity in his party.. did lickspittles like rex murphy turn against him in long winded diatribes? Just thinking of what to expect with pierre.

Hm I think rex was still on the cbc at the time so didn’t write his bullshit in the natty post.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Woke up your monitor

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Lassitude posted:

Our only hope is that the NDP's desperate attempt to justify its existence might lead to the Liberals doing things people actually care about enough that the Old Stock Canadians' natural desire to embrace white supremacist fascism will be tempered by their self-interest. Otherwise, it's going to be Trump all over again and we, too, will discover one day that we're actually a lot shittier and more hosed as a country than we thought.

You are going to see media begin to mention “change election” a lot over the next year or so. The people who will get PP elected are the Liberal in the same way they always setup the shot for the Cons. By being Liberals

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

What was the narrative last time around? I remember the media confidently predicting a Liberal majority due to the COVID response, followed by the tides turning once the election kicked off and then the news pieces turned to O’Toole having the Conservatives back on track. Is that how it went down? Feels like a lifetime ago lol.

Anyway I’m not convinced the media is hooked into popular sentiment at all, and Twitter is just full of bots so who cares.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

kaom posted:

What was the narrative last time around? I remember the media confidently predicting a Liberal majority due to the COVID response, followed by the tides turning once the election kicked off and then the news pieces turned to O’Toole having the Conservatives back on track. Is that how it went down? Feels like a lifetime ago lol.

Anyway I’m not convinced the media is hooked into popular sentiment at all, and Twitter is just full of bots so who cares.

Correct. Media is not interested in reflecting popular sentiment. They are for manipulating it

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Media seems to be pushing a “the kids love pierre!” Type youth movement which sounds like bullshit to me. Maybe horse girls wanting to get yet another horse.

I don’t know many 20somethings though so I dunno if this is the case. :corsair:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I’ve left several Discord / WhatsApp groups because over the last 6-8 months they’ve been overrun with alt-right people posting Pepe and Wojak memes about Trudeau, Singh, SJWs, etc. The flooding of the alt-right people happened to several channels all within about 10 days of each other so it seems like it was organized.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

priznat posted:

Media seems to be pushing a “the kids love pierre!” Type youth movement which sounds like bullshit to me. Maybe horse girls wanting to get yet another horse.

I don’t know many 20somethings though so I dunno if this is the case. :corsair:

Algos are a huge part of it. 6buzz has 2.2million followers and there are tons of similar/knockoff accounts that expose a lot of young people to conservative bait and ideas and it’s only becoming more obvious.

Basically it’ll be rap and Toronto news followed by a post that’s like “this ontario teacher fails students who don’t have more than 3 genders! What do y’all think 🤔 “

Also they are all terrified about crime. In my day conservatives blamed young people for crime (shout out Mike Harris), which just made us realize how much the media lies about it. But it seems now they’ve realized that younger voters are a prime target for fear mongering. The average >30 ontario suburbanite thinks Toronto is a warzone.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

priznat posted:

Been trying to remember what it was like when Harper was losing popularity in his party.. did lickspittles like rex murphy turn against him in long winded diatribes? Just thinking of what to expect with pierre.

Hm I think rex was still on the cbc at the time so didn’t write his bullshit in the natty post.

There was no betrayal of Harper, at least openly. All the bobbleheads gladly accepted their fate as they were backbenched or frogmarched out of parliament, because he was King Stephen I, the Invincible, until he suddenly, shockingly, instantly wasn't and then he disappeared in a cloud of powdered shock and bewilderment on the night of October 19, 2015 never to be seen again and the kingdom of Harperland went beneath the sea along with him, consumed by the great Red Wave.

And everyone left on the Conservative lifeboat just stood around gobsmacked because they were suddenly a party of backbenchers with crushed dreams and no decent successors to Harper for lightyears because he'd bought into his own hype, thought he was going to die in office, and disposed of all his rivals or anyone with a whiff of leadership ability. The only reason Poilievre has a shot at grabbing the ring from Trudeau is because Harper's finally regained enough CPC political capital after two successive goobers came and went in Scheer and O'Toole, and he's now had time to groom Poilievre enough to inherit Harper's plastic, robotic, kitten-strangling crown to usher in Harperland Reborn.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Starks posted:

Basically it’ll be rap and Toronto news followed by a post that’s like “this ontario teacher fails students who don’t have more than 3 genders! What do y’all think 🤔 “
What I’ve seen with a lot of YouTube Shorts that are recommended to me, is that it’ll be a split screen set up with something like Minecraft being played in the bottom half and in the top half some young person asking if the viewer thinks it’s OK for the government to tell you what you’re thinking is wrong and to punish you for it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

EngineerJoe posted:

It's probably the old, white men.

I know someone matching this description who is progressive on some issues but thinks society has gone too far (with woke-ism) on others and doesn't value people like him so much (maxed out pay grade in a government job without forced retirement and with a generous pension but whatever). Willing to take an online course on indigenous history in Canada and thinks it was pretty good but also too political (???).

If you ask most voters' opinions on enough topics you'll eventually find them all to be contradictory, or at least inconsistent, so I dunno, just take what you can get if they're not voting Conservative or worse.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Is it wrong that I feel like Harper, Poilievre and grooming all belong in another sentence together? 🤷

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Well, if there's one thing you can admire about them, it's their consistency. In haircuts.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

There was no betrayal of Harper, at least openly. All the bobbleheads gladly accepted their fate as they were backbenched or frogmarched out of parliament, because he was King Stephen I, the Invincible, until he suddenly, shockingly, instantly wasn't and then he disappeared in a cloud of powdered shock and bewilderment on the night of October 19, 2015 never to be seen again and the kingdom of Harperland went beneath the sea along with him, consumed by the great Red Wave.

And everyone left on the Conservative lifeboat just stood around gobsmacked because they were suddenly a party of backbenchers with crushed dreams and no decent successors to Harper for lightyears because he'd bought into his own hype, thought he was going to die in office, and disposed of all his rivals or anyone with a whiff of leadership ability. The only reason Poilievre has a shot at grabbing the ring from Trudeau is because Harper's finally regained enough CPC political capital after two successive goobers came and went in Scheer and O'Toole, and he's now had time to groom Poilievre enough to inherit Harper's plastic, robotic, kitten-strangling crown to usher in Harperland Reborn.

Lol, this was great. I couldn’t remember if there was a knife party for ol steve or not but this was an excellent refresher.

PMSH part deux

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

priznat posted:

Lol, this was great. I couldn’t remember if there was a knife party for ol steve or not but this was an excellent refresher.

PMSH part deux

Stephen Harper wants to stick his PP in the PMO.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Stephen Harper wants to stick his PP in the PMO.

Lol, he’s truly the upgraded model. Younger, more dynamic, I assume he speaks french well. My god.

Perusing his “early life” on wikipedia he definitely was always a shithead, unsurprisingly.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

priznat posted:

Lol, he’s truly the upgraded model. Younger, more dynamic, I assume he speaks french well. My god.
Yeah, he speaks French fluently. That was supposed to have been one of the reasons why he did so well in Quebec compared to Charest.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

What I’ve seen with a lot of YouTube Shorts that are recommended to me, is that it’ll be a split screen set up with something like Minecraft being played in the bottom half and in the top half some young person asking if the viewer thinks it’s OK for the government to tell you what you’re thinking is wrong and to punish you for it.

i'm going to take it as a sign of good taste that the weirdest thing i see in youtube shorts is a guy doing science factoids like "can humans survive breathing hyperoxygenated liquid" "yep we tried that it just wasn't any better than other options"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Yeah, he speaks French fluently. That was supposed to have been one of the reasons why he did so well in Quebec compared to Charest.

I'm not sure if that's a joke or not, but it's very funny.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

This is a bit ambiguous but everyone's reading is pretty direct, you are eligible for the bivalent booster six months after your last booster shot, regardless of type. Hence calling in and providing explicit consent for anything sooner. Presumably they're worried about side-effects from more frequent doses, because there isn't a lot of data on that.

Got the notification for priority shots for HCWs/hospital workers yesterday and the guidelines in the email were a minimum 84 days with the recommended interval being six months but that as long as it was more than 84 days since your last shot, the interval was up to you and there was no special process to get it earlier, just show up.

Oddly enough the recommended interval was five months in the initial email then changed to six in a later one.

It's also funny that not a lot of us are going to qualify for the early shots before it opens to the general population because they delayed the fourth booster rollout for healthcare workers for so long many of us AFAIK got it in July/early August and won't be at 84 days until October/November.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 13, 2022

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Arivia posted:

i'm going to take it as a sign of good taste that the weirdest thing i see in youtube shorts is a guy doing science factoids like "can humans survive breathing hyperoxygenated liquid" "yep we tried that it just wasn't any better than other options"
I just watch videos about cars and NOVA/PBS documentaries on YouTube and I every so often get get recommendations like "20 reasons why SJWs HATE Andrew Tate"

I'm not sure if that's a joke or not, but it's very funny.
That's what they said on CBC :shrug:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Heard a 17 year old PP supporter on CBC radio saying he's concerned about Canada's national debt. :wtc:

He did have a legitimate beef with the way things are being run though, because his immigrant mother (from Brazil, if that matters) has two master's degrees in education and isn't allowed to teach here.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Lassitude posted:

Not that I think much of Canada is like Missouri, Tennessee and Kansas but: After reading "Dying of Whiteness" I am pretty convinced that those type of white supremacists are literally willing to kill themselves if it at least oppresses a non-white or non-straight person in the process. There were guys interviewed in that book rolling around in wheelchairs with oxygen tanks, barely staying upright, that voted against local ACA-type healthcare because they didn't want black people to take advantage of it. Other people holding on to their guns for dear life as epidemics of gun suicides swept their communities.

Are there people as far gone as that here? Probably, the question is how many.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

McGavin posted:

Heard a 17 year old PP supporter on CBC radio saying he's concerned about Canada's national debt. :wtc:

He did have a legitimate beef with the way things are being run though, because his immigrant mother (from Brazil, if that matters) has two master's degrees in education and isn't allowed to teach here.

I mean that's a valid concern; we need to have some sort of equivalency testing, so many nurses and teachers going to waste.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

McGavin posted:

Did they ask him what he thinks the immigrant-hater is going to do to fix her situation?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Pleads posted:

Did they ask him what he thinks the immigrant-hater is going to do to fix her situation?

"I agree with keeping immigration levels to a bare minimum, but I'm sure he'll recognize the greatness of highly-skilled and valued immigrants like me and my family."

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Pleads posted:

The response to this will be that his wife is an immigrant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Pleads posted:

You have to admit that paying empty lip service to problems is doing more than other parties. I hope Liberal and NDP strategists figure this out at some point.