Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been reading the Food Wars manga and man, the quality really dips in the Blue arc. Characters win competitions but you don't find out what they made and it introduces gimmick knives with unrealistic abilities (repeating the same gimmick of blades coated with seasonings.) Also it is very stupid to finish an arc where the villain was a character's father by having one of the villains of the next arc that same character's mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

muscles like this! posted:

I've been reading the Food Wars manga and man, the quality really dips in the Blue arc. Characters win competitions but you don't find out what they made and it introduces gimmick knives with unrealistic abilities (repeating the same gimmick of blades coated with seasonings.) Also it is very stupid to finish an arc where the villain was a character's father by having one of the villains of the next arc that same character's mother.

IIRC they temporarily lost their food consultant around that time and it really shows.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That did happen, yes. The series really went downhill because of it, but I can't blame all the everything else on just that.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Akane-banashi: A really cute cooling down chapter, I love these dorks. It's nice to see Kyoji come back to be a good older brother figure, since he was the first one to teach Akane the ropes, and nice to see the playboy guy fleshed out a lot more, especially with him telling Akane that she should pick up an understanding of other artistic disciplines, because it does make sense that having a broader spectrum of skills can bolster her rakugo. Lookin' forward to the conversation between Akane and Shiguma, and to see if it'll give us more details on the relationship between Issho and Shiguma.

Elusive Samurai: Honestly that 2D fan is the strongest character in this entire manga, holy poo poo. I also like how the chapter shows how utterly two-faced the Justice Guy's justice is - he's willing to murder the enemy over assumed slights but his own allies are allowed to commit war crimes and underhanded acts and get off with slight punishment. I hope he gets that legit thrown into his face before he dies.

Ginka & Gluna: Got me interested enough to keep reading for now!

Mashle: Honestly I dug this chapter, from the flashback with the pudding to the overly-extreme can badge protection cliche.

Me and Roboco: Enjoyable chapter.

Sakamoto Days: I wonder who Rio is??????

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Arist posted:

That did happen, yes. The series really went downhill because of it, but I can't blame all the everything else on just that.

Was mostly focusing on the skip showing the dishes made part, but yeah can't blame the loss of the food consultant on the villain with the creepy bad motivation whose power is literally just Chrollo from HxH except terrible.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You can tell things were going off the rails with the introduction of all the crime chefs who are said to be the best and then they're almost all taken out off screen. Also Asahi almost feels like he's just Mimasaka redux seeing as his "crossed swords" is very similar to "perfect trace" even down to taking the knives of those he defeats.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SPICE CHAINSAW

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What's the nickname for the incesty dude (the one that's not Erina's dad), I know Erina's dad was Food Hilter, does incest boy have a catchy nickname too?

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

What's the nickname for the incesty dude (the one that's not Erina's dad), I know Erina's dad was Food Hilter, does incest boy have a catchy nickname too?

El Hermano de Jiren Souma.

And that's not even a joke.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That was weird because it went from the abilities of the chef are what's important to special equipment is unbeatable. Megumi loses solely because of those stupid finger blades with the same gimmick as the chainsaw.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The final arc of Souma is defeating an evil chef before he can accidentally commit incest

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

soma actually ended right before erina's dad showed up. it was an excellent manga.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If you do give up on soma chapter 311 is a good chapter that can stand on its own and was clearly planned from day 1 so it's worth it.

(Mimasaka was definitely my favorite character, hacking the shokugeki format was such an ideal villain power)

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Akane-banashi: A really cute cooling down chapter, I love these dorks. It's nice to see Kyoji come back to be a good older brother figure, since he was the first one to teach Akane the ropes, and nice to see the playboy guy fleshed out a lot more, especially with him telling Akane that she should pick up an understanding of other artistic disciplines, because it does make sense that having a broader spectrum of skills can bolster her rakugo. Lookin' forward to the conversation between Akane and Shiguma, and to see if it'll give us more details on the relationship between Issho and Shiguma.

Elusive Samurai: Honestly that 2D fan is the strongest character in this entire manga, holy poo poo. I also like how the chapter shows how utterly two-faced the Justice Guy's justice is - he's willing to murder the enemy over assumed slights but his own allies are allowed to commit war crimes and underhanded acts and get off with slight punishment. I hope he gets that legit thrown into his face before he dies.

Ginka & Gluna: Got me interested enough to keep reading for now!

Mashle: Honestly I dug this chapter, from the flashback with the pudding to the overly-extreme can badge protection cliche.

Me and Roboco: Enjoyable chapter.

Sakamoto Days: I wonder who Rio is??????

Akane-Banashi is now the one manga I look forward to the most on Jump. It's just so drat good.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Same, I always save it for last.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Delphisage posted:

El Hermano de Jiren Souma.

And that's not even a joke.

What the poo poo.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

What the poo poo.

It's an inherited joke from the Dragonball fandom that fit way too well with the scenario Food Wars got itself in - an inexplicably OP new villain who poses themselves as a secret older, stronger sibling to the current top dog. Got even funnier with the half-sibling reveal.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah at first he's called Soma's brother but that isn't actually true and then they just reveal that he's Erina's half brother. Which makes the part where he's trying to marry her super weird.

Something that the ending did that surprised me was how even with the time skip it didn't romantically pair up anybody. Although the series was always kind of weird with how horny the art would get but none of the characters were that interested in each other that way.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Same, I always save it for last.

I always read it first thing, cus I don't want to risk a plane falling out of the sky and landing on me before I get a chance to read it. You never know!!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I read One Piece first and Akane last, so I can sandwich everything else between my two faves.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004
Zatch Bell FTMFW.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's been years, but the man still knows how to write a hype Kiyomaro scene.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mess with the best, Die like the rest.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Didn't even use Baou Zakeruga :drat:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, there wasn't a whole lot of hesitation from either of them about killing that guy. the subject didn't even come up.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well the guy admitted to killing everyone in the demon world and was about to kill kiyomayu and gash (and he killed gash before too)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
They really are playing for keeps this time round.
No books to burn to get out of fatal injuries.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

it's okay cause they purposely missed all his vital organs and he'll only die from the backlash of his powerup.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Eden’s Zero anime returns in April:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=9X8iEfyR8lo

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What the gently caress Witch Watch

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Akane Banashi continues to be good, but I really wish that the dad was more of a character in the present day. We still haven't seen him since the first chapter, we still don't know how he feels about Akane's training at all. I was mostly fine with this before, it is her story and not his, after all. However, knowing that she trains under his old dream master makes it feel very odd thst he's not more involved. How did he react when he heard she's training under him? Does he even know he's her master? Does he even know she's doing rakugo?

Again, not his story, I get it. But the way Akane is talking, it's like her dad is dead lol. "I think I'm starting to understand how my dad felt" - couldn't she just, like, talk to him and ask? lol. Hope I'm not forgetting some detail like he left their family or lives overseas now or something, but still - cell phones exist.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Electric Phantasm posted:

What the gently caress Witch Watch

Reading this chapter was pain.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I opened up Super Smartphone and immediately thought I was reading Aliens Area.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

CodfishCartographer posted:

Akane Banashi continues to be good, but I really wish that the dad was more of a character in the present day. We still haven't seen him since the first chapter, we still don't know how he feels about Akane's training at all. I was mostly fine with this before, it is her story and not his, after all. However, knowing that she trains under his old dream master makes it feel very odd thst he's not more involved. How did he react when he heard she's training under him? Does he even know he's her master? Does he even know she's doing rakugo?

Again, not his story, I get it. But the way Akane is talking, it's like her dad is dead lol. "I think I'm starting to understand how my dad felt" - couldn't she just, like, talk to him and ask? lol. Hope I'm not forgetting some detail like he left their family or lives overseas now or something, but still - cell phones exist.

He literally told Akane's mom that he trusted Shiguma to take proper care of Akane.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Ginka & Gluna keeping up the lightning fast pacing, lol meanwhile Demon Waifu continues to be meh, but also creepy with protag going "hey you don't gotta talk about your past if you don't want" and of course the response is OMG I'M IN LOVE WITH HIM

He literally told Akane's mom that he trusted Shiguma to take proper care of Akane.

Welp, shows how good my memory is.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Reading this chapter was pain.

I get it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm kind of curious how both Akanebanashi and Show-ha Shoten will progress in the future, since it seems like there are a limited number of "development arcs" you can go through. Both series have recently gone through "learning to account for the type of audience" and "learning to account for preceding acts" development, and in Akane's case she also has very strong technical fundamentals to begin with. Show-ha Shoten has a bit more room, since the protagonist sucks at performance and his partner has no talent for writing comedy (though it's not clear why he needs it, since it seems fine for one guy to do the writing), plus the whole "monthly series" element that means it can afford to go slower. It also has the "dealing with Higashikata's past" issue to deal with at some point.

I'm curious to see Guriko (I think that was his name? the first disciple who shows up) perform in Akanebanashi at some point. I think he's the only fellow disciple where we don't know his performance style. We also haven't seen the womanizer guy perform, but it seems pretty obvious that his thing is "including music performance" or something along those lines.

CodfishCartographer posted:

He works away from home IIRC, but it still doesn't make a lot of sense since she could presumably still talk to him.

I guess it could simply be understood as "it's awkward/uncomfortable to bring this topic up with him."

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 19, 2022

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Ginka/gluna was awesome, keep it up! Pretty sure I'm done with demon bride. The chapter really didn't do much for me to keep my interest but a definite nail was the main character letting us know he isn't a blood relative to either of his sisters.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

He works away from home IIRC, but it still doesn't make a lot of sense since she could presumably still talk to him.

I guess it could simply be understood as "it's awkward/uncomfortable to bring this topic up with him."

I think it's also important that like... in context what she's saying is that she didn't get her dad's motivations until she went through similar experiences herself something that talking alone wouldn't have fixed. Though the way the dad is kind of treated as 'dead' after expulsion is pretty funny, ngl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

G&G feels like watching someone's New Game Plus