Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Cell MAX is exactly why I would love a hypothetical Budokai Tenkaichi 4, that series handled the giant characters better than any other game for the franchise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

drrockso20 posted:

Cell MAX is exactly why I would love a hypothetical Budokai Tenkaichi 4, that series handled the giant characters better than any other game for the franchise

Defiinitely. They're so disappointing in Xenoverse, with them having generic movesets and being boss-only other than the Great Namekians, who can only remain transformed for limited time and also get generic movesets while transformed. They're quite useful in Heroes, but that's a turn-based card game with little player interaction. And I can't think of any other game that lets you actually play giant characters.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I kinda liked the oozaru fights in Ultimate Tenkaichi, at least conceptually. The oozaru are like 200 feet tall and you run around on a chest level cliff, avoiding big MMO style attack templates and shooting Ki blasts. Really made them feel giant.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Last Celebration posted:

Toriyama agrees, one of the interviews has him even mention, “I wrote Cell MAX to be incomplete so he just makes monster noises, I feel bad for the actor!”

lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ElBrak posted:

Hey Lois, remember the time my best friend got blown up and I went super saiyan? Heh, that was friggin sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTdRYUfhHPk

if anyone didn't click on it because of the bad family guy introduction you should actually click on it because this rules

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

galick gun is such a cool fuckin' pose

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

IcePhoenix posted:

if anyone didn't click on it because of the bad family guy introduction you should actually click on it because this rules

My intro was so bad no one posted in the thread for a week.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I don't even read this thread once a week, to be fair

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I don't know if anyone cares about Dragonball Breakers but Farmer with a Shotgun is joining in.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I honestly thought they silently cancelled that game.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

There was a beta a few weeks ago that i saw a couple streams of that looked... fine? It's just the "grab the dragon balls" missions from xenoverse with some extra bells and whistles.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

projecthalaxy posted:

There was a beta a few weeks ago that i saw a couple streams of that looked... fine? It's just the "grab the dragon balls" missions from xenoverse with some extra bells and whistles.

I saw footage of someone playing as Cell and it was just him raining down death and destruction on the game map.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Game has funny trailers so I respect it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its like Dead by Daylight, and the players have several ways of winning/partially winning, with the "best" win being defeating the raider.

The dragonballs are a side mechanic that you can use if you get a little lucky so you can transform into goku and actually have a chance against the raider, but its still one of several winning game states for the non-villains.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Judge Tesla posted:

I don't know if anyone cares about Dragonball Breakers but Farmer with a Shotgun is joining in.

The trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAxTOe025t4

I can't believe it took so many years to get him to be finally playable. He's a fan favourite, he could've easily been DLC for Xenoverse 2, just like everyone else! Talking about that, they're adding Semi-Perfect Cell to XV2 now.

Also on the Dragon Ball DLC train (god, that's a lot of DLC), we have a trailer for Kakarot's Bardock DLC, which also confirms two more unknown DLC packs. Seeing how this is still Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot, I imagine they won't be Super-related, so they're probably movies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmZHPdhcrlQ

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Judge Tesla posted:

I will now buy your game.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
the madlads they did it. Also wow kakarot is still going?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s not really still going it’s more they just brought it back to life

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It just hit me how ridiculous that first fight between Vegeta and Goku is. Despite drat near everything that could happen in the fight happening including multiple transformations and surviving what should have been deathblows, Vegeta successfully nullifies an oozaru transformation only to get squished by mid-transformation child rear end. That part, that part right there is where Vegeta finally hits his breaking point and decides to get the hell out. I don't blame him. What in the hell is that conclusion, it's amazing.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, that and the first half of the Frieza fight have a real air of desperation about them as our heroes just throw every single thing they have at the enemy to try and slow them down against impossible odds, and is a big part of why those arcs are so fondly remembered.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Vegeta vs Everyone is still one of my overall fave fights in the series.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Saiyan Saga owns hard

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Honestly it’s one of my favorite fights in a shonen period. Imho it’s a top twenty contender.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

pablo gbscobar posted:

Yeah, that and the first half of the Frieza fight have a real air of desperation about them as our heroes just throw every single thing they have at the enemy to try and slow them down against impossible odds, and is a big part of why those arcs are so fondly remembered.

I like that the air of despair dispelled the moment Goku arrives only to discover Goku himself is in way over his head as well.

Vegeta also has the distinction of being the first to show the spirit bomb is pretty bad.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Without the spirit bomb we wouldn’t have gotten the cool montage of everyone from Dragonball twenty years later at the end of Buu. Although even then it was kinda superfluous in the context of being able to, you know, just do what Goku initially suggested and summon Gohan to help beat up Kid Buu.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Gohan would have just hosed it up again

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Gohan would do that "get really angry and beat the guy up" thing and then play with his food long enough that Kid Buu would get a second wind and blow up the planet, again.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Shinjobi posted:

It just hit me how ridiculous that first fight between Vegeta and Goku is. Despite drat near everything that could happen in the fight happening including multiple transformations and surviving what should have been deathblows, Vegeta successfully nullifies an oozaru transformation only to get squished by mid-transformation child rear end. That part, that part right there is where Vegeta finally hits his breaking point and decides to get the hell out. I don't blame him. What in the hell is that conclusion, it's amazing.

Crushed and broken beneath an unconscious, naked child... Yup, I think I'm done here.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Growing up, I had a great appreciation for how so many other shows would have had the villain immediately get away and shake his fist at the heroes. DBZ instead had stakes that felt incredibly high, the villains weren't going to just run when it got hard, they were there to get a job done and by the end of it, everyone is just absolutely hosed up and basically crawling toward one another with broken bones and poo poo

That part and the opening of the Namek saga where Gohan/Krillin are sneaking around and Vegeta doing his own thing are just too good

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Pureauthor posted:

Yajirobe coming out of nowhere twice to be the MVP is good stuff.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Ginyu Force is another good Desperation Fight (except Guldo) with Gohan and Krillin repeatedly saving Vegeta's life because he's the best they've got.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Really, from the Piccolo saga through the middle of Namek is some top tier shonen.

Then Freeza happens and we get 5 minutes on Namek and everything goes to poo poo.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Some Numbers posted:

Really, from the Piccolo saga through the middle of Namek is some top tier shonen.

Then Freeza happens and we get 5 minutes on Namek and everything goes to poo poo.

freeza owns

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

The anime drags (even in Kai) bu it's still a top-tier fight, especially in the manga

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Vegeta was goddamn sturdy in Sayian Saga. Took a Kaioken X 4 Kamehameha, a Spirit Bomb and still LIVED.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Augus posted:

freeza owns
Freeza himself owns, but the fight took way longer than Vegeta (and for my money, was less interesting).

Shindragon posted:

Vegeta was goddamn sturdy in Sayian Saga. Took a Kaioken X 4 Kamehameha, a Spirit Bomb and still LIVED.
Forget lived, he took the Spirit Bomb, got up and still had enough gas to keep fighting.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Yajirobe coming out of nowhere twice to be the MVP is good stuff.

The last time I watched it I forgot about the second time, and seeing it happen so suddenly was the best thing.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I do wonder if Vegeta had chosen not to go oozaru if he would just....won, cleanly. He nearly lost an eye, and while he had incapacitated Goku by stomping his legs, Goku's body was barely held together after the Kaioken x4. Pretty real chance with the amount of fight Vegeta still had left in him that he could have finished Goku off without the transformation.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I think Frieza was really good for what it was, but it ended up the origin of some bad habits that later arcs had. There was definitely something unique about the King Piccolo through Namek sagas that ended up getting lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Eh I don’t agree with that Frieza just felt like the Nappa/Vegeta fight combined into one.

Ironically a lot of the bad habits begin in Dragonball, specifically General Tao