Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

BoosterDuck posted:

hack and koala did teach robin fishman karate during the timeskip
she even used techniques on black maria

oh well i meant aside from literally one single move, which was even called out in said flashback that being all she wanted to learn. feels like a waste to me though. i get that she's not all that interested in fighting, so it's perfectly in character, but so would be a protective desire regarding the crew (who had of course just been utterly defeated).

i get that he finds it hard to write her power in combat scenes but i just wish that weren't the case!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

SyntheticPolygon posted:

One Piece is a huge mainstream property and has a very wide appeal. Leaving a term (a simple and common term at that) untranslated because existing fans are familiar with it through scans and fansubs would absolutely be a failure in a professional translation imo.

one piece is huge everywhere except america because our short attention spans can't keep up with the extensive episode/chapter count

that's why there were three failed attempts at airing one piece in america with toonami trying right now for a fourth failed attempt

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Anyways, the debut of the Seraphim got me thinkin' about Weevil, the self-proclaimed son of Whitebeard. This ugly son of a gun right here.

What if Weevil's like a hosed-up prototype of the Seraphim project? The two Seraphim we've seen are like childhood clones of the Warlords, but who's to say that they're only based on Warlords? What if they tried making a clone of Whitebeard as a Seraphim but hosed up midway and resulted in a clone that had all of Whitebeard's strength but none of Whitebeard's personality or looks?

I was just thinking about that and it's also making me think the Lunarian DNA is that final touch they needed to get Seraphims where they are now.

Oh God what if this is how Ace comes backs?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the stitches on weevil's neck and face definitely give him a slight science experiment vibe, now that you mention it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also potential hilarity of a Seraphim Buggy potentially existing.

There's so many ways it could go.

1. The Seraphim Buggy is super strong (because of the Lunarian DNA and not because Buggy is strong) so people see how strong Seraphim Buggy is and they go, drat, Chairman Buggy must be insanely strong!

2. The Seraphim Buggy is super weak and the actual Buggy barely manages to defeat it, and people are like, drat, Chairman Buggy's clone is so strong it can give him a proper fight!

3. The Seraphim Buggy is super weak and people go, drat, a silly robot can't hope to emulate Chairman Buggy's pure strength, Chairman Buggy rules!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

the stitches on weevil's neck and face definitely give him a slight science experiment vibe, now that you mention it.

Yeah I always assumed it was cause Berkins had surgery performed on Weevil to make him look more like Whitebeard (even though he looks nothing like Whitebeard at all), but maybe it's the result of Seraphim experiments.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Seraphim Buggy is a mime

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Seraphim Buggy is never sent to the frontlines because Vegapunk is tearing his hair out trying to figure out what went wrong to have him so weak.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

actually, we saw seraphim hancock, but we didnt see if she could use hancock's fruit, did we? the pacifistas don't have kuma's fruit, but that could be because of difficulties mass producing artificial fruits. if the seraphim are 1:1 copies, its possible they could produce a single artificial devil fruit for croc, buggy, hancock, doflamingo, moria, and law's seraphims.

which, incidentally, hopefully there isn't a law seraphim with an artificial version of his fruit because that would be very scary.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

actually, we saw seraphim hancock, but we didnt see if she could use hancock's fruit, did we? the pacifistas don't have kuma's fruit, but that could be because of difficulties mass producing artificial fruits. if the seraphim are 1:1 copies, its possible they could produce a single artificial devil fruit for croc, buggy, hancock, doflamingo, moria, and law's seraphims.

which, incidentally, hopefully there isn't a law seraphim with an artificial version of his fruit because that would be very scary.

Yeah we only saw her blast laser beams.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also, I wonder how many Seraphim were sent to the other Warlords.

There were 2 sent to capture Hancock, but how many were sent to Mihawk and Buggy?

Croc pretty much destroyed all the ships sent to capture Buggy by himself, which might imply that no Seraphim were on board.

Mihawk himself had no issues breaking through the Marines sent to capture him, and even had time to leisurely pack some wine and books, and didn't even seem banged up.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Seraphim Buggy is never sent to the frontlines because Vegapunk is tearing his hair out trying to figure out what went wrong to have him so weak.

Oda once said that if Buggy actually applied himself he could be a high level player in the new world, Seraphim Buggy is gonna go out there and actually be the strongest showing of all of them while 99.9% of the world nods it's head in awe.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

BoosterDuck posted:

hack and koala did teach robin fishman karate during the timeskip
she even used techniques on black maria

She wasn't even hitting Black Maria with it, she was using it to hit the ceiling.

I also agree that Oda is underutilizing Robin's power honestly, I feel like he was more creative with it pre-timeskip.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

blizzardvizard posted:

She wasn't even hitting Black Maria with it, she was using it to hit the ceiling.

I also agree that Oda is underutilizing Robin's power honestly, I feel like he was more creative with it pre-timeskip.

I absolutely love that moment in Skypeia where she's been getting smacked around and chased by the fat commander, who thinks she is scared of him... till they finally reach a point where she is satisfied she can avoid damaging the archeological finds she has made, and proceeds to utterly annihilate him.

So loving cool.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Caidin posted:

Oda once said that if Buggy actually applied himself he could be a high level player in the new world, Seraphim Buggy is gonna go out there and actually be the strongest showing of all of them while 99.9% of the world nods it's head in awe.

It would be funny if Buggy just nullified Shank’s haki without trying because he has no fear of him, only annoyance.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

bobjr posted:

It would be funny if Buggy just nullified Shank’s haki without trying because he has no fear of him, only annoyance.

Luffy arguing with Whitebeard and Buggy arguing with Shanks at Marineford while everybody else went :eyepop: was good loving times :allears:

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

blizzardvizard posted:

I also agree that Oda was more creative pre-timeskip.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Jerusalem posted:

So loving cool.

Oda just seems too paralyzed by shonen convention to do anything with Robin, which sucks because her current powerset easily fills a role as Luffy Lite.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Seraphim Buggy will be in charge of defending Mary Geoise

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Looking forward to Cross Guild vs. PX Crocodile, Mihawk and Buggy. The Genius Jester is gonna defeat them all somehow and earn the respect of his fellow executives.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Delphisage posted:

Oda just seems too paralyzed by shonen convention to do anything with Robin, which sucks because her current powerset easily fills a role as Luffy Lite.

Robin's primary role on the crew is basically to gather intelligence. Which would set her up for some cool spycraft buisness, but thanks to Luffy solving most of his problems with "storm the castle, punch king poo poo, then party and leave asap", she mostly gets relegated to doing some end-of-arc lore dumping with the poneglyphs or ancient superweapons or whatever.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
What would the awakening of buggys fruit be like

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Buggy learns how to split an atom

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Jose posted:

Law's fruit.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jose posted:

He gains complete control over all the atoms in his body and gets the powers of Suika from Touhou: turn into intangible mist spread across miles, or become 100 feet tall with super strength.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Given BB wants Boa's power, seems likely it has different or additional powers than we've seen? Or maybe the 'turn to stone' is triggered not just by affection but by strong feelings in general about the subject. So a strong sense of fear or anger would also trigger the stone-ing. No way BB shooting love arrows out, but

lol.

That Weevil theory is fun too.

The in-between arc chapters kick rear end, drat.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Catarina Devon can transform into anybody like Bon Clay does, so if the 2 fruits in 1 person thing isn't unique to Blackbeard she can easily make use of Hancock's fruit.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Jose posted:

Buggy also secretly has a Mythical Zoan demigod fruit, and his powers become something completely different because Law already took his gimmick.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Could Hancock have a secret demigod fruit which is why Blackbeard wants it?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

hatty posted:

Could Hancock have a secret demigod fruit which is why Blackbeard wants it?

Probably just that it is a clearly strong fruit in the sense its effect seems to bypass haki, maybe fruit powers, and generally everything else besides genuine disinterest.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Even if he or any underling he has can't make effective use of it, just taking that broken-rear end power off the board while he does his thing is totally a thing known meticulous planner Blackbeard would want to do.

can't wait for the battle with luffy that reveals stole the slow-slow power

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Maybe Blackbeard fruit is a secret demigod fruit.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I think we can all agree that we don’t need anymore secret fruit reveals

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
if we see a weevil seraphim it might reveal who he really is

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Crazyeyes posted:

Probably just that it is a clearly strong fruit in the sense its effect seems to bypass haki, maybe fruit powers, and generally everything else besides genuine disinterest.

I still love that one marine who when confronted with Hancock just stabbed the poo poo out of his hand so he wouldn't give a gently caress about how beautiful she is.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Ubiquitus posted:

i think if blackbeard has one thats fine because it ups the stakes of him fighting luffy. no one else really needs one tho.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tree Reformat posted:

Even if he or any underling he has can't make effective use of it, just taking that broken-rear end power off the board while he does his thing is totally a thing known meticulous planner Blackbeard would want to do.

can't wait for the battle with luffy that reveals stole the slow-slow power

Yeah it felt more like "If I don't take her powers, the Marines will, and I sure don't want that to happen" than him plotting specifically to take the fruit like he did with the Darkness Darkness Fruit.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Ubiquitus posted:

I recommend you stop reading OP if secret reveals aren't your thing. End game is gonna be absolutely a PACKED with folks showing up and chortling as they reveal their secret trump cards and stuff.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yeah it felt more like "If I don't take her powers, the Marines will, and I sure don't want that to happen" than him plotting specifically to take the fruit like he did with the Darkness Darkness Fruit.

"My crew is too horny to allow this power to go unchecked!" - Blackbeard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Crazyeyes posted:

I recommend you stop reading OP if secret reveals aren't your thing. End game is gonna be absolutely a PACKED with folks showing up and chortling as they reveal their secret trump cards and stuff.

Nice, always fun when someone conflates a really specific example with a broader plot device. Also loving big :rolleyes: at jumping to quitting one piece

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 13, 2022