Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Should anybody want to give it a go, this guide shows you how to install octoprint on an android phone. Worked like a charm, for me.

Also, the very latest Ender 3 v2 firmware release increases the hotend max temp to 300, if that is relevant to anyone’s concerns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Marsupial Ape posted:

Also, the very latest Ender 3 v2 firmware release increases the hotend max temp to 300, if that is relevant to anyone’s concerns.

That's kind of a scary thing to do on a printer that comes stock with a PTFE hotend.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
yeah that sounds like an absolutely terrible idea

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Why do I feel like it’s my fault, now?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Marsupial Ape posted:

Why do I feel like it’s my fault, now?

Unless you edited the firmware in some way, it's not.

You'll never be operating that high anyway.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Ah yes, the birdkiller mode

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Trying to get 1 of my saturns up and running but I can't quite narrow down why it's acting up. I'm at 2.5s exposure with sirayatech navy grey, 10% tenacious and a .03mm layer height. Also running vroom which has been fine on my other 3 Saturn's

Supports attach to the plate fine, then fail maybe half an inch past the supports attaching to the model. Seems like eventually the supports give away from the models and prints get stuck to the fep.

Would this be underexposure or overexposure? I'm running a 2s Amerilabs now, but 3s+ seemed obviously overexposed.....historically things haven't failed in such a finicky way

Am I missing/forgetting something here? I swapped in a vat that should work fine and I'm still seeing issues, relevelled etc

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Chainclaw posted:

is there a way to update the prusa firmware without connecting a computer to the printer?

I just plug my USB drive with updated firmware into my Prusa mini to update firmware? That’s how I’ve been doing it for years.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

w00tmonger posted:

Trying to get 1 of my saturns up and running but I can't quite narrow down why it's acting up. I'm at 2.5s exposure with sirayatech navy grey, 10% tenacious and a .03mm layer height. Also running vroom which has been fine on my other 3 Saturn's

Supports attach to the plate fine, then fail maybe half an inch past the supports attaching to the model. Seems like eventually the supports give away from the models and prints get stuck to the fep.

Would this be underexposure or overexposure? I'm running a 2s Amerilabs now, but 3s+ seemed obviously overexposed.....historically things haven't failed in such a finicky way

Am I missing/forgetting something here? I swapped in a vat that should work fine and I'm still seeing issues, relevelled etc

What are the models and at what point is it failing? I've had to do some mental work sometimes figuring out model geometry on failures and solved it eventually by understanding how tension was applied at specific points in time along the printing process and how that would make the model tear away from supports unless I reworked them.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I use User Parameters very often in Fusion360. Is there a way to dock the user parameter menu so it's always available and I don't have to go through the menu to open up the dialog and then close it every time? Or is there perhaps a plugin/extension or maybe even a better/smarter way to adjust parameters that I'm overlooking? It feels kinda clunky as is.

I'm still pretty new to Fusion360 so I am likely doing something wrong/dumb.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 13, 2022

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Unperson_47 posted:

I use User Parameters very often in Fusion360. Is there a way to dock the user parameter menu so it's always available and I don't have to go through the menu to open up the dialog and then close it every time? Or is there perhaps a plugin/extension or maybe even a better/smarter way to adjust parameters that I'm overlooking? It feels kinda clunky as is.

I've been using fusion for a couple years now and if this feature exists, it was added recently and I would also like to know about it

e: vvvvv thank you I didn't know about direct assignments in the dimensions inputbox

cephalopods fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 13, 2022

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Unperson_47 posted:

Click the 3 dot button on the right of the menu (which only exists while mousing over it) to assign a shortcut.

Also! I did not know this, but according to the help page you can just type some poo poo into the dimension box like "width=50mm" and it will create a parameter :aaaaa:

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Thank you! Not a dockable menu that I can keep open but it will save me some clicks. That's one thing I liked about using OpenSCAD; all your parameters were in a menu on the right and you could even configure them to have sliders and dropdowns/combo boxes. Made it really easy to adjust things on the fly.

BMan posted:

according to the help page you can just type some poo poo into the dimension box like "width=50mm" and it will create a parameter :aaaaa:

Also I just tested it and this totally works.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Sep 13, 2022

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
I recently bought an Anycubic Mega X. Using Cura as my slicing software. I want to print directly to the printer. But I'm not getting the option.
I've googled the solution. And all the results point to making a profile. But there's already a profile for the Mega X.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Over network, or USB?

In Super/Prusasclier atleast, profiles are a separate thing from 'physical printers'.
You might need to add the Mega X as a physical printer / set up a connection to be able to push stuff to it, the profile is just a grouping of settings for it.
https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012033899-How-to-add-a-printer-to-Ultimaker-Cura
Might need to go to the networked printer, or custom printer articles to find a fit if it doesn't get added to the printer manager when setting it up.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
If i want to repurpose my RPI, is there an export settings in octoprint so I can move all that stuff to the Octo4A app? I don't normally think of a backup as hardware portable, but maybe that would work?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

always make sure your anime swords have flared bases

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Deviant posted:

always make sure your anime swords have flared bases

You seem to do a whole lot of cosplay printing, which seems, like, the exact opposite of what I do (car parts and replacement knobs and stuff). So I have no idea what comes next here. Are you going to glue these pieces together, then sand and prime them, then spray paint? Could you walk me through what comes next? Because on the few occasions when I 3d print a model for someone, they wind up with a solid color object with 3d printer bands, and I suspect I could do better.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

cruft posted:

You seem to do a whole lot of cosplay printing, which seems, like, the exact opposite of what I do (car parts and replacement knobs and stuff). So I have no idea what comes next here. Are you going to glue these pieces together, then sand and prime them, then spray paint? Could you walk me through what comes next? Because on the few occasions when I 3d print a model for someone, they wind up with a solid color object with 3d printer bands, and I suspect I could do better.

this is a comission so i'm doing precisely fuckall. you cannot pay me to use my finite hours on this earth sanding your bullshit.

but yes, the basic process is to assemble, sand, fill gaps, prime, sand, fill gaps, repeat until insane and part is smooth, then paint.

Quicksparrow has a basic guide here.

https://twitter.com/quicksparrows/status/1067861364083806209

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Deviant posted:

this is a comission so i'm doing precisely fuckall. you cannot pay me to use my finite hours on this earth sanding your bullshit.

but yes, the basic process is to assemble, sand, fill gaps, prime, sand, fill gaps, repeat until insane and part is smooth, then paint.

Quicksparrow has a basic guide here.

https://twitter.com/quicksparrows/status/1067861364083806209

This is such a horrible loving way to do a tutorial

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

mattfl posted:

In the olden days people who published things on the Internet knew how to, and had the resources to publish their own web site. Now there are way more people publishing stuff on the Internet! That's great! But people who don't know how to or have the resources to publish their own web site are having to make do with the tools available. And Twitter is a lot more accessible than Medium or some random comedy web site forums. It's also going to get a lot more exposure.

I pity future historians, though.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

mattfl posted:

so.. how about provide a better one. Or two. What follows isn't more than 2 minutes of looking... but I get not knowing ~what to look for~. I went down that rabbit hole before it was a cosplay staple.

https://www.matterhackers.com/news/how-to-smooth-and-finish-your-pla-prints

https://www.unthsc.edu/center-for-innovative-learning/wp-content/uploads/sites/35/2018/10/Posteprocessing3dprints.pdf

https://twincitiesgeek.com/2019/04/how-to-get-a-smooth-finish-on-your-3d-printed-parts/

There's also a lot about how to do this in the scale model community. We start off with .. sometimes.. really crappy parts, and make repairs, seamlines, and all sorts of similar things disappear.

I... really like this guy. If you want to see "all sorts of techniques" Youtubers like Plasmo will help you with weathering, modifying your parts, and how to make features disappear, or show up more. Cosplay, is just a branch of model making.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-hXQ-BjhPU&t=2148s

I'd also point at Adam Savage, and while his content is ~very high quality~ it's also not very dense.

While it's almost tangental now. Adaptive layer heights might be useful as well if you're printing costume bits.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Nerobro posted:

so.. how about provide a better one. Or two. What follows isn't more than 2 minutes of looking... but I get not knowing ~what to look for~. I went down that rabbit hole before it was a cosplay staple.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. This is a horrible medium to present a tutorial in.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

mattfl posted:

Sorry, I should have been more clear. This is a horrible medium to present a tutorial in.

Just wait till Papa Elon deletes it all in a rage fit.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

sharkytm posted:

Just wait till Papa Elon deletes it all in a rage fit.

He’ll make up for it by buying everybody a horse.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I... need to assemble some r/c car 3d prints. Mid motor MF-01x. I'm excited.

Marsupial Ape posted:

He’ll make up for it by buying everybody a horse.

Emeralds. But that'll devalue them. And he'll then buy them back and wait for the market to recover.

... while tweeting about it the whole time.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

cruft posted:

In the olden days people who published things on the Internet knew how to, and had the resources to publish their own web site. Now there are way more people publishing stuff on the Internet! That's great! But people who don't know how to or have the resources to publish their own web site are having to make do with the tools available.

Blogger, livejournal, hell I think there's still even a free WordPress (son of livejournal) tier, medium.com, reddit probably supports long form. Slashdot has a crude journaling system. There's no shortage of ways to splat out ideas on the internet in prose form without resorting to weird 53 part haikus

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Hadlock posted:

Blogger, livejournal, hell I think there's still even a free WordPress (son of livejournal) tier, medium.com, reddit probably supports long form. Slashdot has a crude journaling system. There's no shortage of ways to splat out ideas on the internet in prose form without resorting to weird 53 part haikus

This is like the ideal use case for Instructables but I guess nobody remembers it exists

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's that how to website with the hilarious illustrations

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

this is driving me absolutely crazy. getting a ton of horizontal artifacts on my printer, at regular intervals.

would the be an issue with the z rod at this point? Only started seeing this after swapping out my hotend.

seeing a TON of z wobble too. would this be extra weight on the gantry or something? Seems to get worse as the print gets taller

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 14, 2022

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Dumb question but is your hot end in tightly? Mine got loose and started doing these back and forth shifts.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Scarodactyl posted:

Dumb question but is your hot end in tightly? Mine got loose and started doing these back and forth shifts.

like tight to the machine? I believe so but Ill confirm. Im getting a ton of wobble, but also this banding every 8mm or so which is super weird. Feels like a z axis issue on that side at least

E: bunch of loose/too tight nuts. No idea how/when that happened but Im pretty sure that's going to do the trick. I think the extra weight on the gantry started exaggerating the problem

So in case anyone else sees this on an ender 3:
-Diagonal banding was the result the gantry sagging. Fixed by tightening the far concentric nut
-Horizontal banding was a combination of tighting up the nuts on the bed to reduce wobble, and loosining the screws where the z rod attaches to the gantry

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 14, 2022

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Apparently you can print all of the parts for a Curta Calculator.

https://www.printables.com/model/158740-curta-calculator-type-i-scaled-at-31

Anyone tried anything like this?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Would a bad thermistor cause flow issues on my dragonfly'd ender 3?

Running into some nasty clogging lately, and in wondering if it's the weird thermistor that came with the ender. The hotend gives you a little adapter to put the glass bulb into, but im wondering if it doesn't like the new setup and isnt controlling heat nicely

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9r97uvhGfw

Scaling down a printed escapment mechanism

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Nerobro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9r97uvhGfw

Scaling down a printed escapment mechanism

That reminds me that I need to finish the wall clock of his. I'm also planning on modifying the barrel to use a motor instead of a spring and make it a real clock.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

AlexDeGruven posted:

That reminds me that I need to finish the wall clock of his. I'm also planning on modifying the barrel to use a motor instead of a spring and make it a real clock.

Even unfinished, I wanna see what you've done. Show off!

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

w00tmonger posted:

this is driving me absolutely crazy. getting a ton of horizontal artifacts on my printer, at regular intervals.

would the be an issue with the z rod at this point? Only started seeing this after swapping out my hotend.

seeing a TON of z wobble too. would this be extra weight on the gantry or something? Seems to get worse as the print gets taller

My first printer had a z-rod and did that at some point, it was z-rod wobble for me. I improved it a ton by printing some stabilization part to slide onto the z-rod.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Nerobro posted:

Even unfinished, I wanna see what you've done. Show off!

Here's the mostly finished product. I need to reprint a bunch of the escape mechanism (why it's not mounted in this pic) with a smaller nozzle to get my tolerances better and redo a couple of the pins.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I'm not arguing against claims it's a poorly-suited medium: it's horrible. I'm arguing that it's a medium that gets you way more exposure than anything else, including the almighty somethingawful forums, which used to be the most popular site on the entire Internet!