Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FuzzySlippers posted:

I want to jump on this but I really should reread Harrow because I feel like I barely understood everything that happened in the climax.

I'd read Nona then reread all three, Nona doesn't really rely on understanding harrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It works so well because, wow, I would have wanted to gently caress those guys up, too. It's so close to being a sympathetic motivation, except that in order to make it happen, he murdered the entire human race and is now denuding the universe of life in order to carry out his vendetta against the descendants of the assholes in question, who aren't even galactic aristocrats or anything.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
BOOK IS OUT

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

sebmojo posted:

The breathtaking simplicity of what John did is, well, breathtaking. For ten billion minus one people, I guess.

And 80 cows

Also yeah, I read Nona then immediately reread all three, that worked well for me.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i have two doctors appointments today so i woke up thinking dang today is gonna suck but then i remembered it's nona day and now im thinkin dang today rules

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I don't know if I should read Nona or just spend a while reading spoilers without context and laughing, then read Nona.

The spoilers are fun and require less attention span.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Been posting my Nona drinks. No spoilers beyond what was in the previews, and even then they're pretty oblique.

https://twitter.com/ElixirLibris/status/1569571127118434304?t=rbwDbkgP6vHHi7PP3hUqIA&s=19

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I feel like a Nona drink would be very dangerous, as the obvious choice would be a drink where you know where the mug came from but you have no idea what's in it.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

That is.... Way more clever than anything I was gonna try and do, dammit.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

An interesting thing-you'd-only-recognise-if-you-know-NZ-well thing about the book (Page one spoilers) is that the high school John went to, Dilworth, is a reasonably prestigious private boarding school that operates almost entirely by giving scholarships to disadvantaged kids and orphans. About 70 percent of the student body are Māori or Pasifika kids, who -- due to decades of colonisation and institutional racism -- tend to be forced into the lower socio-economic fringe. It's a really solid shorthand way of saying "John was a smart Māori kid from a bad background, who also got a grounding in religious education" and it's one of those things that very few people who didn't grow up in Auckland will get.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Nona spoilers and speculation “You always say that Harrowhark”?! I’m making the following predictions now before I get further into the book:
Harrow and Alecto have been transposed somehow.
Alecto is, in fact, Earth’s soul/Revenant beast.
Jod’s been on a crazy revenge hunt for the descendants of the people who shut down the cryo program and doomed the 10 billion I guess?
He is also the one who set the bomb that turned him into the necromancer divine.

Edit 1: I find myself grudgingly admitting that the theory behind Nona being Alecto is way more plausible. A & M continuing to be absolute hellions is wonderful.

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 13, 2022

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

So, if I have understood everything even remotely correctly:
God or at least a being of immense power exists and it gave John his necro powers which he then supercharged by kind of "eating" that being and almost extinguishing the human race in order to kill the billionaires who managed to slip away and their descendants are the non-House population of the universe. He also created a human woman (based on the suicided nun perhaps?) out of his ribs and dirt so he could house half of the being's power inside her since he couldn't handle the whole thing. That woman is Annabel/Alecto and also she has the mind of the God/being. Nona is dead and gone, Gideon is back in her own body and Harrow is presumably back in hers.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Was so hype for today I literally forgot it was my mom's birthday today too :tinfoil:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Book arrived, along with volume 6 of Apothecary Diaries manga.

Unfortunately work work.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Happy Landfill posted:

Was so hype for today I literally forgot it was my mom's birthday today too :tinfoil:

I think it's obvious which of these is more important.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I need some kind of GANTT chart for who is in whose body tbh

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Tordotcom's whole deal remains intensely irritating to me, but here's a cool interview with Taz.
It's light on the spoilers, but might be best to hold off til after finishing the book if you want to remain ~totally pure~.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ten thousand years for mother

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Good through a good chunk after my Kindle copy FINALLY arrived yesterday

Pretty confident that Nona is the Earth/'s Resurrection Beast. There was a discrepancy with the number of Beasts in Harrow that Jod failed to address, and I spotted this line when she went swimming:

"Bubbles rippled across her face as her laugh came out as oxygen."

Normal human people don't breath OUT oxygen, Nona!

In other news Jod continues to be the worst. It's a small crime in the grand scheme of things, but giving all of the Lyctors new names post-Resurrection, completing erasing their identity and failing to mention they were work collegues trying to stave off the apocalypse is some real lovely, gaslighting behaviour.

This book is also Kiwi as gently caress, I'm waiting to see if anybody tries to eat some ghost chips at some point.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
had to go through some hoops to get the ebook in hand but mostly because of how it was gifted me. have spent the day cuddling with my cats on the couch reading. cassie has fewer legs than Noodle but is almost as good. I would like to pet Noodle. this isn't based on anything spoilery, I take it as self evident that Noodle is even better than even the most cuddly rumbly lovable housecat who will come to cuddle even with just making eye contact with her.

also my weird insistence on learning foreign regionalisms is coming in handy even if it's not nearly as thorough as actually being from new zealand would be

neongrey fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 13, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Captain_Person posted:

Pretty confident that Nona is the Earth/'s Resurrection Beast. There was a discrepancy with the number of Beasts in Harrow that Jod failed to address, and I spotted this line when she went swimming:

In other news Jod continues to be the worst. It's a small crime in the grand scheme of things, but giving all of the Lyctors new names post-Resurrection, completing erasing their identity and failing to mention they were work collegues trying to stave off the apocalypse is some real lovely, gaslighting behaviour.

This book is also Kiwi as gently caress, I'm waiting to see if anybody tries to eat some ghost chips at some point.

Makes sense, because harrows soul did a swapsie with the Body at the end of harrow, and the Body was the the body in the Tomb

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

gently caress yes my library has Nona in their digital collection already, nobody else has checked it out, and I think I know exactly which librarian is responsible for its presence. I love having speculative fiction nerds with good taste at my library.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Nona didn't grab me as much as the previous two, but I finished it in less than 24 hours, so I guess it was pretty good anyway.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Edit: Meh I'll just get in trouble if I post that.

Edit edit: Finish Day 1, poo poo is good so far. John's flashbacks feels very End of Evangelion is it ended with Gendo explaining himself

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 14, 2022

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Captain_Person posted:

yeah i think the speculation follows, agreed on the character comment. I have the taste in favourite characters.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Speculation from having just read Day 1:

John was, and still is, trying to save Earth. He's also still incredibly angry at the rich who escaped instead of trying to save the planet which is why he's doing all the imperialism against the non-Imperial worlds.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MonsieurChoc posted:

Speculation from having just read Day 1:

John was, and still is, trying to save Earth. He's also still incredibly angry at the rich who escaped instead of trying to save the planet which is why he's doing all the imperialism against the non-Imperial worlds.

I'm not at Day 1 yet but that's exactly where I think this is going already, he's still trying to punish people who have been dead (and died well outside his reach) millenia ago.

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

I'm on pg 28, and I'm afraid I'm about ready to bail. :( Three books in a row where the protagonist doesn't know poo poo-all about what is going on!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

If you made it through Harrow, you can make it through Nona.
(That's not meant to sound flippant or anything, I genuinely don't think it's as messy or complex as Harrow. It's intricate, but it does all come together in the end IMO)

Edit: Though if you just don't like it, that's also completely reasonable, I imagine Nona is going to be even more divisive than Harrow was.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 14, 2022

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
The audiobook version continues to be really well-read by Moira Quirk imo. I love how consistent she is with a huge cast of voices.

Since I'm not done yet, I won't share my thoughts, except to say that I absolutely love a story with these vibes getting published. There are a bunch of great new SF&F titles out there, but I have yet to find anything that incorporates slice of life/mumblecore and interpersonal relationships so compellingly as TM does it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
well that was a trip and a half, i have no idea where to begin but i'll miss nona. is paul's name a dune reference? he the kwisatz lyctorhack?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Kesper North posted:

well that was a trip and a half, i have no idea where to begin but i'll miss nona. is paul's name a dune reference? he the kwisatz lyctorhack?

I think it's more likely a Catholicism reference.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Nona spoiler emoting: CAMILLA AND PAL NO.

“Get in line thou big slut”. Should not be as funny as it is. I’m happy that I got some of it right.

Edit: Having finished it I agree with Nona good.

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 14, 2022

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Finished it in under 24 hours, thanks to the help of my daughter who woke me up at 4:30am.

Extreme ending spoilers, but my one big question is how did Jod end up with Gideon's body in the first place? It was solidly in Edenite control in As Yet Unsent.

Also, big lol about wearing friendship bracelets with Ianthe. Prince Friends Forever!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

wharrgarbl

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Chernobyl Princess posted:

Finished it in under 24 hours, thanks to the help of my daughter who woke me up at 4:30am.

Extreme ending spoilers, but my one big question is how did Jod end up with Gideon's body in the first place? It was solidly in Edenite control in As Yet Unsent.

Also, big lol about wearing friendship bracelets with Ianthe. Prince Friends Forever!

Remember that Camilla (or Pal or Crown) talks about being attacked after they met Harrow on the planet she was killing and lost something precious? I think it was during the meeting with We Suffer but don’t quote me on that.

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

sebmojo posted:

Ten thousand years for mother

I chuckled out loud at that one, I'm glad that some memes were able to be kept for this book.

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug
Something someone pointed out on reddit that I didn't pick up on, but seems obvious in retrospect, about a teacher at the school in Nona

Mostly a side note, but did you notice that Nona misheard the name of Aim's predecessor, it's not Emma Sen, its MSN, they're named for messenger clients.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

platero posted:

Something someone pointed out on reddit that I didn't pick up on, but seems obvious in retrospect, about a teacher at the school in Nona

Mostly a side note, but did you notice that Nona misheard the name of Aim's predecessor, it's not Emma Sen, its MSN, they're named for messenger clients.

aarrrrrgh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

tiniestacorn posted:

I'm on pg 28, and I'm afraid I'm about ready to bail. :( Three books in a row where the protagonist doesn't know poo poo-all about what is going on!

I'm further in and while I'm not bouncing off of Nona, I'm not connecting with it as easily as I did Gideon or even Harrow. Part of it is that I've just never been a fan of "author controls information access by having the narrator/viewpoint character be alien/crazy/a child/mentally challenged/etc."