Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

SpeedFreek posted:

I don't recall seeing this posted earlier.

Amazon took all U.S. solar rooftops offline last year after flurry of fires, electrical explosions
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/01/amazon-took-solar-rooftops-offline-last-year-after-fires-explosions.html

In my experience with electrical equipment failure this was a result of being cheap. All but one of the catastrophic failures I've been involved with have been management decisions that involved saving money on labor, materials, or engineering. Every time that this half-assery makes the news it's going to be more ammunition for the renewables are dangerous let's keep burning coal crowd.

it almost always comes down to someone not gauging a connection or wire properly, and the drat thing heats up enough to cause a fire. either that or faulty or cheap components causing a short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The rest of it sounded like they were inspecting everything and bringing it online, even if CNBC is definitely taking the "how SCARY and DANGEROUS and EXPENSIVE" angle.

this was funny:

quote:

In addition to its warehouses, Amazon has some solar roof systems at its Whole Foods stores. Amazon and its auditor, Clean Energy Associates (CEA), put off inspection of the solar rooftop systems at Whole Foods locations until 2022, the documents said. As of late 2021, four years after acquiring Whole Foods, Amazon was still working to attain technical information about the renewable energy assets at the stores.
Whole Foods, the "Pat from Achewood" grocery store

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Over a decade ago the large hadron collider exploded because the wrong kind of solder was used (a kind that doesn't superconduct). So these huge magnets that are like 5 meters long were fine but each one had a 1 cm solder joint that was faulty.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

it almost always comes down to someone not gauging a connection or wire properly, and the drat thing heats up enough to cause a fire. either that or faulty or cheap components causing a short.

That's one of the strengths and weaknesses of renewables over say nuclear. A fault in a renewable is going to cause a rather minimal amount of damage and maybe a fatality or two as each individual installation is just so much lower stakes than a large industrial installation like nuclear (or even old coal plant or the LHC) which will cause a lot of grief when there is a fault. On the flipside, the oversight over such a diverse and large number of installations means that it is going to impossible to maintain the large installation standards of safety and as a result be fiendishly difficult to prevent faults across the fleet and will result in a generally higher per kw fatality rate.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Electric Wrigglies posted:

That's one of the strengths and weaknesses of renewables over say nuclear. A fault in a renewable is going to cause a rather minimal amount of damage and maybe a fatality or two as each individual installation is just so much lower stakes than a large industrial installation like nuclear (or even old coal plant or the LHC) which will cause a lot of grief when there is a fault. On the flipside, the oversight over such a diverse and large number of installations means that it is going to impossible to maintain the large installation standards of safety and as a result be fiendishly difficult to prevent faults across the fleet and will result in a generally higher per kw fatality rate.

It also depends on what you mean by "renewable", geothermal power is a pretty complex system compared to solar panels. There's also the classification issue upthread over whether hydro power is truly renewable (it totally is but I get why it may be classified otherwise)

There's also the ability to use corn (ethanol) or even just wood as fuel, which is technically renewable but probably not any safer than a power plant that burns diesel. Hydrogen (green-washed or otherwise) also gets the "renewable" label sometimes even if it probably doesn't deserve it

Also the EU recently labeled natural gas as "green" lol

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

it almost always comes down to someone not gauging a connection or wire properly, and the drat thing heats up enough to cause a fire.
Labor/engineering

quote:

either that or faulty or cheap components causing a short.
"Can't you take any margin out of the design, we need to win that bid? These contactors I found on Alibaba will give us more profit margin."

My best personal story was the boss not willing to pay the concrete guys to wrap the equipment in plastic. New equipment was installed and he wasn't willing to pay for a backup to the lubrication system, after a power outage it was only a few hundred thousand in repairs. The backup system was installed but the alarm contacts weren't wired to the PLC because that would cost money, a few more 100k in repairs. And can't use the old equipment because it's saturated in concrete dust.

Those were all problems an experienced electrician found and brought up before being dismissed, like a good electrician would also know when a conductor is undersized or the wrong. I suspect we will be seeing more stories like this based on the now hiring solar installers for $17/hr ads I've seen.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

That's just them looking ahead for the large scale carbon capture CO2 to hydrocarbon distilleries they're going to power off of overbuilt... wait hold on

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Well this is the industry that had the audacity to brand "methane and other contaminants" as "natural gas".

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Now we're cooking with radiation. Finlands energy supply was 51.5% nuclear last night as Olkiluoto 3 revs into higher gear and produced 1200MW of power for a while, down to 800-ish again now but will ramp to 1200 today again and then in a couple of weeks it'll go for 1600MW

Kärnkraft nuclear
light green is wind
blue hydro
yellow stuff like peat, pellets etc
dark green unspecified

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

"It's not the scary nuclear power, it's efficient Karnkraft energy. Like IKEA, but for power."

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Easy to assemble, if you got any problems just call.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:toot:

His Divine Shadow posted:

Easy to assemble, if you got any problems just call.

lol.

Meanwhile,

https://twitter.com/Vincetacular/status/1567958331591127040

https://twitter.com/Eivissa749/status/1567914863715930114
:thunk: indeed

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
maybe its countries with thoise flag colors that are massively stupid about nuclear power?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

who knows

If this were associated with a correlating massive, extremely rapid 3 year rollout of solar/wind/storage, it would actually possibly look responsible. It isn't, though, so it's not.

My outlook regarding EU energy policy mismanagement is the same as ERCOT mismanagement: whatever decisions they want to make on ideological and fossil-financed grounds, let 'em. They're asking for leopards to eat their faces, and my grid is at least not directly connected to their grid.

Unfortunately, the Great Leopard comes for all our faces in the form of climate change, so it's hard to not be furious when states separated by oceans from me turn off their advanced power generation infrastructure to make fossil fuel lobbies happy. It's maddening--energy generation and climate policy in the developing world is a massive sticky mess, but a bunch of developed nations that are already over many of those hurdles are voluntarily deciding to go back to carbon-heavy power generation.

The real shame is for all the states of the EU that have been handling energy policy responsibly, only to watch their neighbors turn off their generation industries then demand power exports.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Even if the belgians really bust their assess and replace the discontinued nuclear capacity with 100% renewables, they'd be still using a shitton of gas.

Seems like exactly the same issue as Germany. They could've replaced fossil fuels with renewables first, but instead replaced nuclear and kept fossils because of ~atoms~

PhazonLink posted:

maybe its countries with thoise flag colors that are massively stupid about nuclear power?

Checks out

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think a lot of the hysteria simply stems from Western media coverage of Fukushima in 2011 being so bad that many people conflate the reactor meltdown with all the damage of the tsunami.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

I think a lot of the hysteria simply stems from Western media coverage of Fukushima in 2011 being so bad that many people conflate the reactor meltdown with all the damage of the tsunami.
Is this what's behind it in Belgium? Germany definitely doubled down then, but as we saw Finland pushed on, and there's no talk of shutting anything down in the Czech Republic either, for example. Austria keeps freaking out about it as they always do.

Here's a fun story about a geothermal project that just popped up, though the latest news seems to be from April.
  • BLM completes environmental assessment for project on BLM land in 2017
  • BLM Nevada (I guess state version of the above?) approves construction in 2021
  • A month later a lawsuit is filed to protect a toad species and over tribal concerns
  • This February, an appeals court lifted a preliminary injunction pausing construction on the plants. There's an appeal to this appeal.
  • Construction resumes
  • In April Fish and Wildlife Services imposes a 240 day protection for the toad, stopping construction again
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/05/us/nevada-toad-endangered.html

It's located here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/D...!4d-118.0811526
About 50km from the nearest populated trailer it seems.

I certainly don't want to dismiss environmental and human concerns... but this is how projects turn into a disaster. I'm pretty sure by the time the lawsuits are resolved, you could've built five natural gas plants.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Increasing your demand for natural gas just now seems less than wise, too.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
I had some fun looking at satellite images of the north sea. Look at all those windmills!
https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/eo-br...3D=%22MAPZEN%22

You can select the satellites here:
https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/eo-browser/?zoom=7&lat=54.8917&lng=6.58519&themeId=DEFAULT-THEME

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nessus posted:

Increasing your demand for natural gas just now seems less than wise, too.

It's great for fossil futures investors and the parties they lobby!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yanis Varoufakis describes how the european electricity market works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NicE0-N9ux0

Can't say I agree with him that part of the solution is to stop boycotting russian gas though, wtf?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well I mean it would solve the "energy crisis "

That said, gently caress you Yanis

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

As he explains it, the boycot is only helping putin and european oligarchs. But I sure as gently caress can't see how it's helping Putin...

But the real important part of the video is the explanation of the european electricity market.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

But the real important part of the video is the explanation of the european electricity market.

I struggle with his usage of the phrase "zero marginal cost" referring to solar and wind, because some people would assume that the power is free. It really isn't, the cost per MWh is the install cost + maintenance cost amortized over the lifetime of the windmill or solar installation. He touches on this indirectly later, but I think the end result is somewhat disingenuous.

The European energy market is 100% a scam though, he's spot on there.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

As he explains it, the boycot is only helping putin and european oligarchs. But I sure as gently caress can't see how it's helping Putin...

It's been opposite day for years for some people and there's not a drat thing we can do about it :(

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

I've seen the argument that after a while, sanctions and boycotts undermine the economic base for the normal population while the leadership class get even more of a monopoly on all the wealth and are insulated from their consequences. Iran and North Korea and... Russia are high profile examples of sanctions not leading to leadership change.

https://www.brookings.edu/research/economic-sanctions-too-much-of-a-bad-thing/

Boycotts and sanctions definitely have shortcomings, but there's not many other non-military ways of punishing bad behavior in the international sphere that I can think of.

And there's the whole concept that you need to make it as hard as possible for bad actors to fund the activities you don't want them to engage in...

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Wibla posted:

I struggle with his usage of the phrase "zero marginal cost" referring to solar and wind, because some people would assume that the power is free. It really isn't, the cost per MWh is the install cost + maintenance cost amortized over the lifetime of the windmill or solar installation. He touches on this indirectly later, but I think the end result is somewhat disingenuous.

The European energy market is 100% a scam though, he's spot on there.

"Marginal" is the key point, that the cost is fixed over the life of the plant regardless of how much it generates. Although I would think that a wind turbine has additional maintenance costs depending on how often they run, but this is probably very low. But yes, it could be misconstrued as "free electricity" when really it is fixed price electricity.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Can't say I agree with him that part of the solution is to stop boycotting russian gas though, wtf?

Europe is not boycotting Russian gas though. Russia has in effect imposed gas sanctions on Europe in response to sanctions imposed on Russia by Europe. The only way to get gas flowing again is to lift economic and trade sanctions on Russia which would include selling gear they can use in the war Ukraine.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Wibla posted:

I struggle with his usage of the phrase "zero marginal cost" referring to solar and wind, because some people would assume that the power is free.
i love how perfect a circle this is

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Ain't lookin great

https://twitter.com/BurggrabenH/status/1567929340737863680

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus that's a big thread. Here: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1567929340737863680.html

I kind of skimmed over it but the tl;dr seems to be that we can't match generation with consumption and it' s bad. Which, yeah.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

He also murders the storage fantasy around tweet 60'ish

On the whole I am struck with how this huge interconnected grid allowed so many member countries to just gently caress over their own responsibilities and rely on their neighbors, until that stopped working. Everyone thought about what was individually rational and the consequences where collectively disastrous. A less connected grid where every country would have to supply the majority of it's own power would not have been able to create this EU wide mess.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Sep 14, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Everyone thought about what was individually rational and the consequences where collectively disastrous.

This is a great turn of phrase and I'm going to steal it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

On the whole I am struck with how this huge interconnected grid allowed so many member countries to just gently caress over their own responsibilities and rely on their neighbors, until that stopped working. Everyone thought about what was individually rational and the consequences where collectively disastrous. A less connected grid where every country would have to supply the majority of it's own power would not have been able to create this EU wide mess.

Hmm, the 15TW figure sounds familiar...

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah ok that French site lets you download the actual hourly data for the past year (though 2021 is 404 :tinfoil:) so I had to gently caress around with it of course.

If they went full Germany and shut down the nukes, it seems that they'd need to increase the solar installed capacity by 5x and wind by 11x to average a monthly surplus. Then to make sure you never actually run out... 30,000,000 mWh of storage capacity. It's getting very late so I might've hosed something up, but seems like a lot!

Obviously there could be different optimal permutations depending on what's most cost effective etc., and this allows no imports as well.

E: oops, seems like the data points are every 30 minutes, so just 15,000,000 MWh?
(France and Germany have ~similar consumption)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Yeah the EU's entire story has been that it would be a great idea but nobody actually wants to commit to it.

The moment it involves doing something that isn't directly self-beneficial they simply do not.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It's the nation-state version of "gently caress you, got mine" :v:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

if only there were an empowered supernational organizing body capable of incentivizing genuine green european power generation industry expansion

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Sounds like communism to me.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

yup

Neoliberalism in Europe: "Everything that's good for capitalism is actually definitionally communism."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Hmm, the 15TWh figure sounds familiar...

(France and Germany have ~similar consumption)
If only there was a way to store a huge amount of energy in chemical form. Even better would be some way to move it around in chemical form for large distances. Even better than that would be if that infrastructure would already exist.

https://fsr.eui.eu/the-role-of-gas-storage/ posted:

The EU-27 gas storage capacity amounts to 1147 TWh across 18 Member States
(Germany has roughly 220 TWh)
Now if only there were a way to generate that gas from electricity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-to-gas
Oh right.