Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I like the second Darby fight cus it's one of the first fights where you have no idea how the protagonist is winning, it does a good job of putting you in Darby's shoes in trying to puzzle it out.

zetamind2000 posted:

In one of the JoJonium's Araki said that The World was the first Stand he designed, so unless time stop was a late idea he had a few years to come up with a way for Jotaro to beat Dio without giving him the same power

That he didn't makes me think he realized that time stop is really cool and needed to be in the story after Dio

To be fair, "first stand designed" is vague wording. Was it the first stand power he designed, or the first stand visual design?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Until the reveal I thought Jotaro was relying on a combination of not knowing how to play the game + superhuman bluffing. He could be intending to throw whatever pitch he was asked about, but no idea how to execute, so his soul would still be telling the truth

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

I like the second Darby fight cus it's one of the first fights where you have no idea how the protagonist is winning, it does a good job of putting you in Darby's shoes in trying to puzzle it out.
That's true, I mainly don't care that much for F-MEGA bit. It goes on for a bit too long, and while it's a good riff on F-Zero (didn't they even include one of the tricks from F-MEGA to future F-Zeroes), I just lose patience with it after a bit.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Is this what you were looking for?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah it's p much that sentiment exactly but the execution was different

Thanks!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Responding from the anime thread

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I kinda wish we'd gotten an adult boingo cameo in a later part, thoth is a great stand

From a certain point of view, he did!

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

No Dignity posted:

His face breaks apart in a similar way during the Bites the Dust arc as well.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

No Dignity posted:

GruntMountain posted:

His face breaks apart in a similar way during the Bites the Dust arc as well.
Holy poo poo lol 🤯

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if we ever got a grown-up shizuka joestar, Achtung Baby’s evolution should be called Mysterious Ways (it turns things invisible and also punches them)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Holy poo poo lol 🤯

Such is the providence of Fate!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

No Dignity posted:

Araki remembered.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

CodfishCartographer posted:

To be fair, "first stand designed" is vague wording. Was it the first stand power he designed, or the first stand visual design?

Visually, but I'd imagine the power wasn't long after considering his style of detailed notes on characters and what they can do

Stuff like that can change (Soft & Wet in Part 8) but I haven't read anything that suggests it would have had all the tarot card powers

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 11, 2022

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Yeah, stuff like The World being some kind of mix of all the tarot cards or all the Joestar powers is in the same “poo poo fans convinced themselves of” category as “Annasui was going to be Jolyne’s female love interest but the editors made Araki change it” or “Jotaro is actually stopping time when he punches things fast,”

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Female Annasui would have been a real monkey's paw situation because she almost certainly wouldn't have been pretty similar to male Annasui

The Joestar groups are pretty diverse in terms of personalities and someone like Annasui as we know him is the right mix of different as opposed to being another Hermes or Foo Fighters

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I think it’d be more mean-spirited for female Anasui to have the personality regular Anasui has

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Even with Jolyne being a female lead as a direct gently caress you to noooo it's gotta be a boy, there's still a bunch of dated sexist poo poo going on there and a female anasui in the same role anasui takes would have no doubt devolved into some harmful stereotyping about lesbian couples.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wonder what the reaction would have been like if Araki went with his one idea of just having Giorno reveal they're a woman by the end of part 5

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Imo they should have gone with the cut panel of DIO saving Giorno from Diavolo

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Well hell I was waiting for Jotaro in Part 4 to bust out The World, but I didn’t think it’d be against a… a rat.

And this was after him trying to find an invisible baby in a lake, and just after the guy who turned people into manga books.

drat I love this series.

Oh and also old Joseph Joestar is the sweetest thing i’ve seen in a long time. Recalling that this senile old sack of bones is the same guy who took down two Pillar Men and knocked the ultimate being into space is… emotional, for real.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bisse posted:

Well hell I was waiting for Jotaro in Part 4 to bust out The World, but I didn’t think it’d be against a… a rat.

And this was after him trying to find an invisible baby in a lake, and just after the guy who turned people into manga books.

drat I love this series.

Oh and also old Joseph Joestar is the sweetest thing i’ve seen in a long time. Recalling that this senile old sack of bones is the same guy who took down two Pillar Men and knocked the ultimate being into space is… emotional, for real.

he's still a senile sack of bones but hes 100% playing it up to get out of suzie q bein pissed about josuke

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'unno. I like the idea that Joseph gets physically shrunken and mentally degrades to match a negative period in his life, only to start regaining his old sensibilities and health when he starts turning the situation around and earning Josuke's respect.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the idea that joseph is putting on an act doesn’t really hold up if you think about it for more than two seconds.
he wasted hundreds of dollars of his son’s money in order to fool his wife who is on the other side of the planet?

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 15, 2022

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's like a weird kind of cope to think he's secretly pretending to be old. just accept that he's old.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Augus posted:

the idea that joseph is putting on an act doesn’t really hold up if you think about it for more than two seconds.
he wasted hundreds of dollars of his son’s money in order to fool his wife who is on the other side of the planet?

oh no, thats him bein the normal kind of stupid

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

joseph is imo 1) a very special kind of smart guy stupid 2) old and past his prime and declining hard and 3) is trying to get out of trouble by playing up 1) and 2).

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's like a weird kind of cope to think he's secretly pretending to be old. just accept that he's old.

actually araki just forgot that he wasn't old

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's a very Joseph thing go make people think he's not that senile when in fact he is.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Augus posted:

Dude played (un)dead twice for lols.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Darko posted:

Dude played (un)dead twice for lols.

the first time was an accident!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I would pay so much money to see this

I don't think jojo's gonna win this one tho

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Just remembered how extra Dio's German va is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMlJ0iVmKQs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jZokSqlXsQ

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

How did Dio defeat the previous Big Head?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Bisse posted:

BTW where is a good place to watch parts 4 & 5 in europe? It seems like Netflix doesn’t have those and just jumps straight to Stone Ocean.

Came to ask this, did Netflix not dub them? Seems weird that they wouldn't have the rights here. I can switch to Crunchyroll subs but it's odd and I'm attached to Matt Mercer's Jotaro

I was going to mention the weird censorship that seems to come up a bunch, that it seemed to be inconsistent, I'm sure Jotaro can be seen to smoke uncensored at least once, but I noticed that when Zengatta is pretending to be him it's not censored because it's presumably not underage. Pretty funny that let them do the stuff with the smoking trick gags. I wish someone on the dub team thought to have Polnareff or Joseph say that he didn't have the usual black smear around his face. They do sneak some fun easter eggs in there though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the anime, up through part 4, aired at an early enough time slot to where it was subject to censorship laws in regards to certain things. jotaro smoking is censored because he's technically too young to be doing it in part 3. if he did it in 4 i can guarantee you it wouldn't be blotted out. it's also why some gore-related things were censored. you'll notice that part 5 isn't censored, and a big part of that is because it started airing at a later time when it wasn't subject to censorship in regards to programming aimed at kids.

the more you know

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Netflix didn't do the dubs for Parts 4 and 5, but they did get dubbed. This was before Netflix got the series.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Stone ocean is best JoJo???

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
nah, its somewhere in the middle behind Steel Ball Run and Diamond is Unbreakable

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I hope the Steel Ball Run anime winds up being great, because I cannot wait to see people's reactions to cowboys horseback riding across America in order to defeat a dinosaur so the President of the United States doesn't accept Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I hope the Steel Ball Run anime winds up being great, because I cannot wait to see people's reactions to cowboys horseback riding across America in order to defeat a dinosaur so the President of the United States doesn't accept Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior.

Big :same: