Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Pretty sure we know what happened to God Valley now.

:suspense:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

anime was right posted:

luffys dream has to be something uplifting or exciting, and childish. that feels like a big feast, or the moon, or starting another pirate age or something. delivering binks sake feels like an option too.

i think luffys dream is to connect all the islands of the world, or something along those lines. makes sense as something that would be totally physically impossible but maybe theoretically feasible if you were the freedom king of the seas

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

the bitcoin of weed posted:

i think luffys dream is to connect all the islands of the world, or something along those lines. makes sense as something that would be totally physically impossible but maybe theoretically feasible if you were the freedom king of the seas

i personally have no idea WHAT the dream is, but yeah, anything along those lines feels valid

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Luffy's dream is to yell "Bring it in guys!" and then everyone from every nation and island on the planet come in with everything for a HUGE party.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

honestly, after this chapter, i'm starting to wonder if my joke idea of, "the one piece is a spaceship" isn't too off the mark

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
sabo surely has to survive this, but like, how lol

also it seems pretty clear that he just got unlucky by going to lulusia when it was already marked for extinction - the gorosei say that it's unlucky for him to be there & that it's fate

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i cant loving believe wano is over still

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

what could it be that's so outlandish but would be feasible as Pirate King?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
There is no One Piece any more. It is now 1984 Piece.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

What a good chapter.

Love the stuff with the crew on the ship, it's so nice to see that again, feels like it's been ages.

I don't think the island was already marked for destruction. It's just unlucky that he's on an island they don't mind annihilating, because it was taken by revolutionaries. Why would Im be destroying some random islands just because the king was deposed? This would be happening all the time if that were all it took.

I think he's operating Uranus remotely, from the castle. Maybe using the Big Hat....

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
A big feast is too doable and ordinary, the crew reactions suggest something completely nuts like uniting the oceans or making pirate Outer Heaven

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I just realized that Wano ended and we didn’t learn a drat thing about seastone.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

hatty posted:

A big feast is too doable and ordinary, the crew reactions suggest something completely nuts like uniting the oceans or making pirate Outer Heaven

I don't know why Luffy would that other stuff though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Incredible chapter.

Loved everybody yelling at Zoro and he's utterly indifferent till Sanji speaks up, at which point war were declared.

Also, Robin telling Luffy she has a whole bunch of further information on other big names in the One Piece world and asking if he'd like to hear them, and Luffy just going,"Nah I'm good" was the best :allears:

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Begemot posted:

I don't think the island was already marked for destruction. It's just unlucky that he's on an island they don't mind annihilating, because it was taken by revolutionaries. Why would Im be destroying some random islands just because the king was deposed? This would be happening all the time if that were all it took.

Uranus was broken until very recently, it just came back online in the past year. Who fixed it? Enel did. Because Uranus is the moon.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Calibanibal posted:

Uranus was broken until very recently, it just came back online in the past year. Who fixed it? Enel did. Because Uranus is the moon.

You saying you got what stuck in Uranus?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
One thing I do wonder about : What are the limitations of Uranus? Obviously Imu can't just use it all the time, or the Buster Call would be unnecessary. Well, maybe the Buster Call exists mainly as a cover story and Uranus was used to erase what remained of Ohara after the Marines left. But for a weapon that powerful to even need a cover story implies that it has some weaknesses. Note also that it hasn't been used against the Emperors' home islands.

Also, it apparently hasn't been used to destroy the Poneglyphs, and I suspect that's because it can't. What are the Poneglyphs made of, anyway? Somehow I'd assumed it was seastone, but not only has that never been stated, but Devil Fruit users like Robin and Brook have no problem getting close to them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Calibanibal posted:

Talk about Enel leakage

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Well, that was certainly horrifying. :stonk:

I'm also thinking that whatever that was was indeed an Ancient Weapon, probably a UFO. Maybe the hieroglyphics Enel was looking at on the moon was a blueprint for said UFO weapon?

Also, I like the theory that Im is basically keeping the Five Elders (and by extension, the World Government) hostage. This is a wild guess, but what if Im is some kind of primordial eldritch abomination or alien that came to Earth thousands of years ago and secretly enslaved the planet?

The whole thing just gives me vibes of secret government conspiracies hiding the existence of aliens and poo poo. :tinfoil:

E: I think the Poneglyphs were specifically designed to withstand this sort of laser beam attack so that, even if the entire civilization died, the history could be kept as a failsafe which is... still pretty grim.

Could the Void Century be just an entire century of Im literally going scorched earth on the whole planet just to make sure nothing was left of those original people? Burning and salting the fields, in a sense. Whenever we do find out the truth of what happened during the Void Century, it'll likely be something absolutely horrifying, like constant mass genocide.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 16, 2022

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Waffleman_ posted:

Talk about Enel leakage

:magical:

lih posted:

sabo surely has to survive this, but like, how lol
I mean, dude is made of fire. Wouldn't nothing unrelated to haki or seastone hurt him?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

While the Gorosei think Sabo is unlucky I think Im chose that random island with vague context because they knew Sabo would be there, two birds with one large UFO kinda stone. Whether it's a fruit power or a alien power or whatever, we'll have to see.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fecha posted:

:magical:

I mean, dude is made of fire. Wouldn't nothing unrelated to haki or seastone hurt him?

I'm sure sabo's fine and I'm still betting on there being a repeat of marineford where luffy succeeds in saving his brother this time, but like

the island is gone. sabo can't swim. seems like a pretty simple way for him to die there

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Can he just like become fire like Alucard can become mist and just waft away?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hatty posted:

ace needed a boat to travel between islands

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Gr8 ch!

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

hatty posted:

Logias for elements that are normally airborne like Smoker and Caesar can probably fly indefinitely using their own power alone, but other logias seem to only be able to travel short distances through the air when transforming. It's like they're jumping and/or gliding.

e: Although I guess Sabo might be able to use his flames to generate some sort of rocket propulsion

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 16, 2022

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Manatee Cannon posted:

ace needed a boat to travel between islands

Ace used a boat to travel between islands because it was cool

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Sabo shoots fire out of his feet and flies around like Iron Man.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Did I miss something? When did Caribou get stuffed and chained in a barrel, did it happen last week? 🤔

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
its just making a running gag out of the last incident except this time so pathetic that not only was the capture off-screen, so was the context

also he's the next straw hat

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Violen posted:

also he's the next straw hat

it's this

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Cari Double D. Ou

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I just realized that Wano ended and we didn’t learn a drat thing about seastone.

...god drat it you're right gently caress

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The Seraphim being made...

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

White Light posted:

Did I miss something? When did Caribou get stuffed and chained in a barrel, did it happen last week? 🤔

Luffy offered to give him a boat ride off of Wano all the way back in Act 2 in the Udon prison mines, so it was definitely set up, Oda just forgot/didn't care to show him getting loaded onto the boat when they were leaving Wano was all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

frankly caribou being the 10th commander for the straw hats would be the funniest possible outcome so im all for it

at the very least i imagine theyll run into his brother and their crew will join the grand fleet?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Crosspeice posted:

While the Gorosei think Sabo is unlucky I think Im chose that random island with vague context because they knew Sabo would be there, two birds with one large UFO kinda stone. Whether it's a fruit power or a alien power or whatever, we'll have to see.

Orrrr
its the other way around, lulusia is the unlucky one for having sabo on it.

The way I see it Buster Calls are the WGs deterrent while whatever Im did is their actual superweapon and erasure from history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i really don't think there's more to the events than the literal destruction of an island by whatever means we saw. i don't think im striking out the island on a map represents anything more than dramatic direction indicating the choice of target, and i don't think the language involved in erasing something from history speaks to anything more than a practical enforcement of that by way of threat and censorship same as they handled ohara and modern prying into/records of the void century/ancient kingdom and their relics. the elders outright threaten the surveillance team to forget what they heard if they know what's good for them after panicking about sabo's impending words (doubling up on risk of revealing both the existence/possible detailed identity of im depending on what he saw, and revealing the WG's resident superweapon in the middle of planned use). i also think the order of conversation between the elders is that sabo was just born under a bad star here.