Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hope Rian doesn’t get a trilogy.

I hope he gets a full tv series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like people who truly like rian should hope for him to get free and clear of the disney wars shitshow. Even leaving aside the last 5 years of development hell, what's gone down with all their other movie projects indicates it's highly likely to be a huge waste of his time and energy

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m more happy about knives out movies. Im just foreverly annoyed at people who just keep taking pot shots at it

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I like RJ movies so id want him to make more star wars because i also like star wars

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Spermando posted:

Gotta make room for the Rian trilogy.

It's coming any day now, chud

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1570486227735875592

Hell yeah Rogue Squadron 2025

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I very, very unironically want Johnson to make a trilogy of films exactly like Ep.8.

Like, Character turns and speaks directly into the camera:

“Only kill those you don’t dislike. This is very important. This makes sense.

[Characters each kill dozens of people and are awarded/punished seemingly at random. It’s unclear whether they disliked anyone or not, or why that would matter.]

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

As long as he's not continuing a story he's never read yet thinks he knows everything about, I think Rian can make a good Star War

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Have Rian remake the OT.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Have Rian make the Gatalenta trilogy. We all really deserve to see three movies based on Amilyn Holdo's homeworld:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Gatalenta

quote:

"On Gatalenta we try to lead the life of the mind, and in our culture intentions can have great influence; we discuss them, judge by them."
―Amilyn Holdo[4]
Natives of Gatalenta were renowned for their calmness and serenity, and rose each day to thank the planet's multiple suns for rising.[2]

They widely practiced skyfaring, a form of calisthenics exercise involving the use of scarves to climb wooden scaffolding and suspend themselves in midair, and had a purpose-built skyfaring room within the Gatalentan senatorial complex on Coruscant. Advanced practioners of skyfaring were able to meditate in place, "unmoored to the ground," and so enhance their spiritual well-being and that of those around them. Love and compassion were taught and practiced fondly by the people of Gatalenta, and crying openly was considered a virtue and proof of a caring heart.[4]

Gatelenta was ruled by the Council of Mothers. Slavery was illegal on the planet, and slaves were not allowed to be brought to the planet. If a slave was brought there, and their master was caught, the slave was set free. The Gatalentan people were known for living austerely, wearing only pale grey or white clothing, the only colorful parts of their attire being traditional scarlet cloaks.[4] In the years before the Galactic Civil War, Gatalenta had a strong Jedi tradition, and the old Jedi legends remained alive on Gatalenta in spite of the Great Jedi Purge.

Gatalentan tea was the planet's most popular export along with a healthy meat-substitute known as soypro which could even be found in the Outer Rim Territories.[6] Leia Organa was particularly fond of this tea.[2]

It's like they wrote this specifically to make chuds angry. Lmao at soypro.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Prey but its Ewoks killin mechs and empire but with more laughs than Last Jedi

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Upsidads posted:

Prey but its Ewoks killin mechs and empire but with more laughs than Last Jedi

Evil Dead 2 but Ash is a stormtrooper and the Deadites is Ewoks.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Dracula Dead and Loving It, but it's a lone surviving Sheev clone going around turning people into Sith.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I guess they heard people didn't like WW84.

Things do not appears to be going well

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
They keep getting directors who take a hit to their reputation after they've been lined up to do a Star Wars (Trevorrow with Book of Henry, Jenkins with Wonder Woman 2, Taika with Love and Thunder, Johnson with Last Jedi).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm perfectly happy to not see a Star Wars movie for a few more years.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
they should just stop making star wars movies until the inevitable ahsoka x mandalorian avengers movie

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They keep getting directors who take a hit to their reputation after they've been lined up to do a Star Wars (Trevorrow with Book of Henry, Jenkins with Wonder Woman 2, Taika with Love and Thunder, Johnson with Last Jedi).

How long in advance do they know they're lined up for Star Wars? Like is there just some subconscious "I ain't gotta worry about poo poo now I'm lined up for STAR WARS" effect that effects their current project?

It's just really impressive how Disney keeps doing these picks lol, that just reminded me of Josh Trank+Fantastic Four too was another one.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Neo Rasa posted:

How long in advance do they know they're lined up for Star Wars? Like is there just some subconscious "I ain't gotta worry about poo poo now I'm lined up for STAR WARS" effect that effects their current project?

isn't that pretty much why the game of throne guys rapidfired their way through the last season? they had a star wars tv series lined up?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Horizon Burning posted:

isn't that pretty much why the game of throne guys rapidfired their way through the last season? they had a star wars tv series lined up?

Originally they were going to do a confederacy-themed show for HBO, then some Star Wars movies, and then Netflix jumped on the grenade poached them.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bogus Adventure posted:

Dracula Dead and Loving It, but it's a lone surviving Sheev clone going around turning people into Sith.

Make a TV series about Young Palpatine

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Get Joseph Kosinski to make a Rogue Squadron movie now, Disney.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You forget the Game of Thrones guys, lol. I don't blame you.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

It's just really impressive how Disney keeps doing these picks lol, that just reminded me of Josh Trank+Fantastic Four too was another one.

Based on behind-the-scenes stuff for the movies that did get released, the directors are announced pretty soon after they're actually hired, so the timeline's pretty easy to put together.

• JJ Abrams - 2012 (while he was working on Star Trek Into Darkness)
  • Lord & Miller - 2013 (during production of The Lego Movie)
  • Gareth Edwards - 2014 (hired before Godzilla was released)
  • Josh Trank - 2014 (while he was in early production on Fant4stic)
  • Rian Johnson - 2015 (unemployed)
  • Colin Trevorrow - 2015 (during pre-production on The Book of Henry)
  • JJ Abrams - 2017 (Producing various projects, but not currently directing)
  • Ron Howard - 2017 (Producing and acting in various projects, but not currently directing)
  • Rian Johnson - 2017 (during post-production on The Last Jedi)
  • Benioff & Weiss - 2018 (during production of Game of Thrones season 8)
  • Patty Jenkins - 2020 (announced a couple of weeks before WW84 released)
  • Taika Waititi - 2020 (during pre-production on Thor: Love and Thunder)

Abrams, Edwards, and Jenkins were all hired at the tail end of their current projects, so any rush get them out the door to start working on a Star War wouldn't have impacted those movies too much.

Trank, Trevorrow, Benioff & Weiss, and Waititi were all hired when they were working on something else. It remains to be seen how Waititi's stuff is going to go, but the others were hired early enough that they could've comfortably finished their current project before moving onto Star Wars.

Still, it's pretty wild that 12 different projects have been announced in the decade since Disney took over, and only 5 have actually been released (with only 3 of them keeping the same directors the whole way through).

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 16, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Johnson made a hit film and got paid a poo poo load to make 2 more sequels from said but film.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Johnson made a hit film and got paid a poo poo load to make 2 more sequels from said but film.

I like Last Jedi and I love Knives Out but there's a reason Disney have put his trilogy on the backburner.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He did knives out 2 and 3??

I know what you’re trying to do but I still don’t see what hit he took for his reputation. Knives out was a hit all around and even people who hate TLJ and him for TLJ ended up liking it more or less. (Not everyone)

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

poor rian johnson, all he could do was make a critically and audience acclaimed hit that netted him a 500 million dollar netflix deal which he used to make apparently an even better sequel

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

His reputation went down the turlet

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Oh no, Johnson wont completely follow in the footsteps of acclaimed Star Wars Trilogy directors such as... JJ Abrams, kinda.

At this point, directing a Star Wars trilogy seems like a poo poo job with all the responsibility in the world as you try to juggle toxic fandom expectations with delusional producer demands. We should all be happy for Johnson that he doesn't have to be a part of this poo poo show.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Jerkface posted:

poor rian johnson, all he could do was make a critically and audience acclaimed hit that netted him a 500 million dollar netflix deal which he used to make apparently an even better sequel

He did come out of it mostly unscathed, but let's not pretend it didn't nuke Disney's plans for theatrical SW films for almost a decade.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, they cancelled his trilogy because they hate money and critical acclaim, and he totally never even wanted to do it anyway. :jerkbag:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Spermando posted:

He did come out of it mostly unscathed, but let's not pretend it didn't nuke Disney's plans for theatrical SW films for almost a decade.

TLJ would be ~happily remembered as the thorny middle film of a trilogy (just like Empire!) if Rise of the Skywalker had been a mediocre crowd pleasing trilogy capper like Return of the Jedi, instead, well, what it was.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

General Battuta posted:

TLJ would be ~happily remembered as the thorny middle film of a trilogy (just like Empire!) if Rise of the Skywalker had been a mediocre crowd pleasing trilogy capper like Return of the Jedi, instead, well, what it was.

If a movie relies on another to ‘work’, or can be ‘undone’ by a poor sequel, you haven’t made a good movie.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

If a movie relies on another to ‘work’, or can be ‘undone’ by a poor sequel, you haven’t made a good movie.

I had a laugh reading a TLJ thread in Resetera this week (half the forum hates it for sidelining Finn) where someone said JJ was a hack for not following up on the groundwork TLJ does for setting up a relationship between Finn and Rey. That groundwork, they went on to say, consists of them exchanging glances at the end.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

True for the quality of movies, but not true for corporate franchise planning, and the annual star wars foreverrr franchise plan fell apart after Solo and Rise.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
And why didn't people go see those movies? What happened just before that that made the interest plummet?
And it can't be all "because the chuds forced them to make a bad movie" because 1) ROS was full of the same crap they complained about, and 2) no-one cared when they cried about Black Panther or lots of other properties since, nor has Disney felt the need to kowtow to them anywhere else.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 17, 2022

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

They were not good.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Disney has been loudly greenlighting a dozen Star Wars projects at a time and then quietly canceling 3/4ths of them later so to argue the merits of any of them by that objective seems pointless

I do wonder what the next soft reboot will look like in a few years though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I can't wait for them to do Episodes 10-12: the prequels again but now there's no real setting or backstory to work with this time