Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

platero posted:

Something someone pointed out on reddit that I didn't pick up on, but seems obvious in retrospect, about a teacher at the school in Nona

Mostly a side note, but did you notice that Nona misheard the name of Aim's predecessor, it's not Emma Sen, its MSN, they're named for messenger clients.

welllll gently caress

also finally finished so I can stop stopping myself from clicking on this goddam thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Nona good.

Ianthe awful in the best way.

The Cut of Your Jib
Apr 24, 2007

you don't find a style

a style finds you

platero posted:

Something someone pointed out on reddit that I didn't pick up on, but seems obvious in retrospect, about a teacher at the school in Nona

Mostly a side note, but did you notice that Nona misheard the name of Aim's predecessor, it's not Emma Sen, its MSN, they're named for messenger clients.

I thought for sure that this was the case with Hot Sauce and I just couldn't figure it out so when the explanation came it was like the author intentionally slapping me in the face. Perfect rug pull

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Cut of Your Jib posted:

I thought for sure that this was the case with Hot Sauce and I just couldn't figure it out so when the explanation came it was like the author intentionally slapping me in the face. Perfect rug pull

She just really likes hot sauce

The Cut of Your Jib
Apr 24, 2007

you don't find a style

a style finds you

someone on reddit helpfully collected the bible verses
e: individual spoilers if you want to see them as you read

John 20:8 Then went in also that other disciple, which came first to the sepulchre, and he saw, and believed. (John starts discussing how they got here at the end of the world)

John 5:20 For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel.

John 15:23 He that hateth me hateth my Father also.

John 5:18 Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

John 8:1 Jesus went unto the mount of Olives. [This one is the publicity after they reveal themselves online.]

John 19:18 Where they crucified him, and two other with him, on either side one, and Jesus in the midst.

John 5:1 After this there was a feast of the Jews; and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. [They have a meal of grilled cow; some men in black suits come with an offer.]

John 3:20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. [John discovers lies about the FTL program.]

John 9:22 These words spake his parents, because they feared the Jews: for the Jews had agreed already, that if any man did confess that he was Christ, he should be put out of the synagogue. [Previously, John declares himself a necromancer. Here, some upset cops show up to drag him from his compound. It does not go well for them.]

John 1:20 And he confessed, and denied not; but confessed, I am not the Christ. [John tells people about the Nukening; C- tells him he cares more about retribution than saving.]

John 5:4 For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had. [Harrow goes for a walk, and her feet get wet.]

and there's a secret code

Simple substitution cypher: THETOWERHASREACTIVATED
https://twitter.com/SpankMeSilly/status/1570020419150950401/photo/3

The Cut of Your Jib fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 15, 2022

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Exceedingly minor Nona spoiler:

I had to look up pikelets thinking it was some invented word but it's just Australian for pancakes.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Entropic posted:

I had to look up pikelets thinking it was some invented word but it's just Australian for pancakes.

suddenly imagining Nine Houses breakfast cereal in the shape of tiny medieval weapons

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Kesper North posted:

suddenly imagining Nine Houses breakfast cereal in the shape of tiny medieval weapons

That stuff sucks, though, just get the bulk bag full of bone marshmallow bits.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

I read it over like 24 hours and I think it was very good. I also need to read it again.

So what was up with the Angel? I get the Aim bit but what was her role with BOE? why did Palamades ask her if she had an implant?

The John parts are so creepy! I'm really glad we got to learn what happened but he's so unreliable and changes his story so many times....you can really see how he roped people into his messianic fervor
"You were so sick."

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
About 150 pages in, and I'm not sure how I guessed almost immediately that Crown Him With Many Crowns was Coronabeth. I think as soon as I saw Crown referred to as "Her" I immediately assumed it was Corona and I have no idea why. I'm guessing The Captain is Judith but haven't got confirmation yet.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

disposablewords posted:

That stuff sucks, though, just get the bulk bag full of bone marshmallow bits.

The Locked Tomb Trilogy: Bulk Bag Full Of Bone

anyway, the best choice for a balanced breakfast is cheerioss. (high in calcium!!!)

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Kesper North posted:

The Locked Tomb Trilogy: Bulk Bag Full Of Bone

anyway, the best choice for a balanced breakfast is cheerioss. (high in calcium!!!)

Boooooo

Also Pikelets are specifically small pancakes and often served cold - basically blini, often served with cream and jam.
Also nothing about the book is Australian how dare you :mad:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Finished the book, I couldn't wait and take it slow lol. So loving good. Shivers. And so much emotions. It will a while to digest everything but drat Muir does it again.

someone on reddit helpfully collected the bible verses
e: individual spoilers if you want to see them as you read

I looked them up online as I read.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Entropic posted:

Australian

:grr:

Little pancakes with baking soda, basically large blinis.

Efb

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
so if paul gets laid in the next book does their nickname become SexPaul

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
What's the accent that Moira Quirk gives to Pyrrha and to the two Fourth kids?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Finished it. Had a good cry at a part.

10/10 would hug Nona

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Endgameish spoilers - It was in John 5:20, as John kept personifying the climate disaster and dying earth, but I highlighted "Kept saying we had to dispose of the bodies on site, had to do it now, could we liquefy, could we put the fluid in a concrete chamber and bury it. You would’ve loving loved that." As the point that I thought to myself: of course, he ate the soul of the earth, the closest thing to God in civilization.

I have many more questions and now I'm going to have another read through.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They all deserve hugs. Even John, that bastard.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

What's the accent that Moira Quirk gives to Pyrrha and to the two Fourth kids?

It's kind of... French? I dunno, I have real trouble listening to the audiobooks because nobody sounds like they're from NZ. They're a really good performance, objectively, but it's all a bit uncanny valley because I know where Pyrrha should sound like she's from and it sure isn't France. It's Porirua, a small, very working class city just outside of Wellington.

And yeah, I know I only ever talk about NZ stuff and should probably diversify a bit, but it's important to me that there are people like me in a book I love, y'know?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

As a Melburnian, I laughed out loud when John said he was a bit sad about blowing up Melbourne because he likes a working tramway. Also when he joked about 2 million people not mattering because "They're only Australians!" Very funny.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Metis of the Hallway posted:

As a Melburnian, I laughed out loud when John said he was a bit sad about blowing up Melbourne because he likes a working tramway. Also when he joked about 2 million people not mattering because "They're only Australians!" Very funny.

The West Island, we call it

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
where do i buy the official cheeseburger shirt

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Robo Reagan posted:

where do i buy the official cheeseburger shirt

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
That was a good, weird book.

Glad Alecto got to spend some time as a people

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
medium-to-large Nona spoilers

I was right, Nona the Ninth is Kingdom Hearts 2 Prologue / 358/2.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Entropic posted:

I almost had to look that up because I really wanted to know what they were but then got a couple more context clue that made it click.

Almost done, just got to Nona getting done up like Harrow and meeting Ianthe in the barracks, but no further than that. really wanted to read more but had to get ready for work :argh: Really, really enjoying everything, especially as more and more worldbuilding unfolds.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

So everyone recognized the song references in Wake's full BoE name (Lose Yourself, the NZ National Anthem), but perhaps not everyone caught them all in Crown Him with Many Crowns Thy Full Gallant Legions He Found It in Him to Forgive (Bits of the name not from the Birthday Party Guest List spoiler tagged)

That last part is a reference to this absolute NZ classic.

Does knowing this add to anyone's enjoyment of the book? No probably not, but it's been stuck in my head all week so I'm passing that on to everyone else. But also it's not completely thematically unrelated.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Nona does manage to dodge a personal pet peeve plot point that comes up somewhat often these days.

In a lot of cases, fleeing an Earth dying specifically from climate change, which is strongly implied to be the case here, is basically a very stupid idea. Even in the actual worst case, clathrate gun go bang, anoxic ocean, the whole nine yards, a ruined Earth is STILL way the poo poo more habitable than anywhere else in the solar system. There are only really three cases where fleeing a warming Earth makes sense, and Nona manages to land two of them.

- Humanity isn't so much fleeing Earth as outgrowing it. Even in a good timeline there are significant logistical constraints on how many people can live on Earth, so a successful and growing civilization would still be inclined to move towards a Dyson Swarm situation. A Half Built Garden is a really, really good book touching on this.

- You know for an absolute goddamn fact there are garden worlds as destinations and are supremely confident in your capacity for interstellar travel. This certainly appears to be the case here.

- The thing the capitalists are fleeing isn't the death of the world so much as the desire of the general populace to murder capitalists. Given that a necromancer god wound up slaughtering humanity for the specific purpose of killing the capitalists and spent the next ten thousand years subjugating their descendants out of basically spite, this was actually a pretty reasonable assessment of the situation.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
250ish pages in, OK, I was fully expecting the negotiator emissary to be Ianthe but what the gently caress, OK, back to reading so I can actually look at spoilered posts.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Jod was right.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
the idea that you can load people on spaceships faster than they get born is loving ludicrous, a complete nonstarter. the idea that you could build a fleet to carry ten billion humans at all is completely bullshit on the face of it

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Birthrate isn't the tough part of it, its only 275,000 a day, and would quickly fall as you got to work, especially starting with the young. You'd have to be bottling 5,000,000 a day into i-c-weiners to finish in about 7 years, which is stupid but under the absolute grip of necrojod i'm sure we could have done it.

Too bad rich people would rather watch the world burn

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
So I finished read Nona cover to cover and what I think I want more than anything is some kind of Guide to the Ninthverse or just a good, detailed recap of the book because there's at least parts where I'm still not sure who people were, which souls where in which bodies and otherwise just WTF happened to who.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

M_Gargantua posted:

Birthrate isn't the tough part of it, its only 275,000 a day, and would quickly fall as you got to work, especially starting with the young. You'd have to be bottling 5,000,000 a day into i-c-weiners to finish in about 7 years, which is stupid but under the absolute grip of necrojod i'm sure we could have done it.

Too bad rich people would rather watch the world burn

Under the grip of necrojod yes, but they were trying to do it without magical powers when they got the magical powers. My point was more that anyone sensible, or aware of the energy required to launch payloads of that size to orbit on the regular, would have realized there was no way the trillionaires weren't conning the world into building them an escape vehicle right from the start.

I dunno, I can accept miraculous flesh transmutation, but man, saving an entire human population by launching it into space on rockets just sounds like fantasy ;)

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Kesper North posted:

Under the grip of necrojod yes, but they were trying to do it without magical powers when they got the magical powers. My point was more that anyone sensible, or aware of the energy required to launch payloads of that size to orbit on the regular, would have realized there was no way the trillionaires weren't conning the world into building them an escape vehicle right from the start.

I dunno, I can accept miraculous flesh transmutation, but man, saving an entire human population by launching it into space on rockets just sounds like fantasy ;)

i mean realistically probably a fair few people cottoned on as well, but tbqh i spend enough time on twitter that i no longer doubt how many billionaire simps exist and how far up their own asses theyre willing to shove their heads

The Cut of Your Jib
Apr 24, 2007

you don't find a style

a style finds you

Kesper North posted:

there is mention of a space elevator.
The way the cryopods are described it seems like a cheap and easy process, just hadn't made them 100% perfect yet. I don't think NZ would have been the only facility cranking out popsicles once they improved the success rate.
They started loving with the funding and all that 3/4 of the way through to build the trillionaire star-yacht

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Finished it, thought it was decent.

It's easy to see how it was a not originally planned expansion. Lots of scenes don't actually do anything in terms of moving plot, they're characterization and making you like Nona, but they're executed well enough.

It did have a few bits where characters do things for no reason I can see that bug me looking back. i.e. Pyrrha deciding to ditch Nona at school to go infiltrate the Barracks without telling anyone (or bringing her guns), or why Ianthe or Gideon do a lots of what they do

The way the cryopods are described it seems like a cheap and easy process, just hadn't made them 100% perfect yet. I don't think NZ would have been the only facility cranking out popsicles once they improved the success rate.
They started loving with the funding and all that 3/4 of the way through to build the trillionaire star-yacht

The story also doesn't need John to be right, just pissed off. It would all go down the same way even if the decision to cancel cryopods-for-a-generation-ship research was a perfectly morally and logically correct one. No one in that group would be willing to say "Yeah, our plan isn't going to work out, resources should get redirected to alternate evac plans or to plans for sheltering in place

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

i thought the space elevator was mentioned only in the Fun Crew scenes 10,000 years later but i'm prepared to be wrong. i do hope millenials live to see a space elevator, but i haz a doubt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cut of Your Jib
Apr 24, 2007

you don't find a style

a style finds you

Kesper North posted:

i thought the space elevator was mentioned only in the Fun Crew scenes 10,000 years later but i'm prepared to be wrong. i do hope millenials live to see a space elevator, but i haz a doubt

Right after the canned peaches in J 1:20. "setting up the elevators to get to the orbital launcher, which we were told was fully operational."

Foxfire_ posted:

The story also doesn't need John to be right, just pissed off. It would all go down the same way even if the decision to cancel cryopods-for-a-generation-ship research was a perfectly morally and logically correct one. No one in that group would be willing to say "Yeah, our plan isn't going to work out, resources should get redirected to alternate evac plans or to plans for sheltering in place

If the team didn't have to find alternate means of funding and could focus on R&D then a rift might have formed debating practicality vs the most moral choice within the gang rather than it being completely external. I agree about what the story "needs," provided it's the whole story (John's waters get muddier and muddier in each book). The selfishness and greed of the ultra-rich ruling class leading to and accelerating the end of the human race then trying to scurry away is really the point.