Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Great chapter. I can’t believe it, the winged lion legitimately isn’t evil. I mean it isn’t good either but it’s genuinely not something that has bad intentions.

I wouldn't say that, necessarily. Certainly, the demon doesn't want to destroy the world. But it doesn't have any issue driving individuals to madness and ruin, and then killing them. To it, other sentient creatures are like pre-industrial livestock - to be raised and fed with care as the valuable resource they are, right up until it's time to slaughter them for food. As such, it doesn't really respect human agency or free will. And if someone is no longer of any use to it, the demon will happily kill them without a second thought. Look at how eager it was to kill Mithrun, even against Marcille's will.

It ties into kind of an ongoing theme that "evil" is just a matter of getting caught up in selfishness, being unable to resist your greed, and forgetting to be considerate toward others as you satisfy those desires. As a result, an otherwise "good" person like Marcille can cause a lot of destruction by falling for their desires - especially when tempted by the infinite power of the demon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yes, I would also argue that it is evil, in the sense that it is a being that chooses to kill and eat humans when it doesn't even need to eat. It kills sentient beings for pleasure and everything since that big cataclysm shown in this chapter has been the Lion setting up the world for one big feast that, hopefully, it can extend for as long as possible. My read on that scene is that it was terrified that all those delicious desires had gone to waste and it would never have the good stuff again--which leads to the current plan of eating the world.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's evil from a human perspective, but it isn't sadistic or cruel. it's just too alien, is all.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
As always, the only relevant perspective is the human perspective. :cthulhu: needs to go

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's evil from a human perspective, but it isn't sadistic or cruel. it's just too alien, is all.

It's this. Not so much immorality as amorality. But of course, if anybody can, our boy Laios will find a way to sate him. He loves the weird little inhuman critters too much, even if he doesn't share their mindset.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Good chapter, reminds me of the neo chapter from toriko

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Sometimes when a previously "Fun" character turns out to be a villain (not that I ever thought the Winged Lion wasn't a bad guy), they undergo a personality change and it's revealed their fun persona was just an act, and from here on out they're just gonna be generically sinister. It's a problem a lot of twist villains have, where I preferred the character they were before and wish they'd retained their pre-reveal spark.

I'm glad to learn the Winged Lion was always kind of a goober, and still is.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its something ryoko kui is really good at. showing you the logic chains that make a character tick. laois, winged lion, and a lesser extent kabru all could have easily fall into being these "others" who are just really hard to connect with beyond a superficial level, but instead you see their reactions to whatever inputs they receive and it always feels satisfying because you actually get a sense of the clockwork in their heads.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Noticed a neat detail in the bottom left of the cover page for chapter 60, four chapters before their actual introduction.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I still think giving those rabbits built in shanks was a genius way to justify the Monty Python reference.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
I was surprised to hear the new chapter was out, but I guess a month did pass!

Edit:

Don't listen to the haters, Marcille.

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 15, 2022

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
This is going in a very interesting direction.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Holy poo poo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Now that he's in a human body the Winged Lion will easily be won over by Senshi's home cooking. This fight is already over.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

amused that many of us were guessing laios or marcille was gonna be the new dungeon lord and theyre like "why not both"

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Removing that gaudy headpiece made the outfit like 50% cooler. Also :tviv:

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I don't think I really have words to articulate my reaction to this chapter holy poo poo

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
izutsumi is GOAT

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

VideoWitch posted:

Yeah I don't think I really have words to articulate my reaction to this chapter holy poo poo

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I didn't think things could go even worse, but they sure did

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

izutsumi is GOAT

The right cat for the right job. Unfortunately for her we're dealing with an eldritch abomination that treats flesh like clay

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

izutsumi is GOAT

this is the correct reaction to this chapter

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I have to say that I did think things were going kinda too well for our heros for a while. and because of that, I thought a pure happy ending could happen. After this though, I reckon we've locked in at least a bittersweet one.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Aw.

Well.

gently caress

:f5:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
just kinda spitballing on possible plot beats but willing to bet laios doodled some drawings of his ideal monster form in the field guide he handed to marceille, and then chilchak uses the mantra he got told to remember to snap monster-laios back to reality. idk what happens after that but kind of ironic that both laios and fairlyn are monsters now

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Deliciousest Dungeon

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
holy gently caress

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Jesus. This series always has been able to get horrific on a whim despite the general fantasy and shenanigans, but this chapter was probably the most powerfully horrific one of them all so far.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Success so clearly in view... Or is it merely a trick of the light?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

izutsumi is GOAT

Izutsumi is a Schrodinger's catgirl: simultaneously the least and the most competent member of the team. :allears:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Lt. Lizard posted:

Izutsumi is a Schrodinger's catgirl: simultaneously the least and the most competent member of the team. :allears:

Extremely undependable, incredibly competent

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

:stare:

:suspense:

Definitely did not expect this.

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009
Dungeon Meshi is crazy good every month

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Wild prediction time: This is the first time the Winged Lion actually got a proper mortal body, so it's also the first time he experiences ordinary mortal hunger and the way it feels having it satiated by good food. Smash cut to our main crew cooking him a feast and defeating him by having him feel having his hunger fulfilled for the first time.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Wild prediction time: This is the first time the Winged Lion actually got a proper mortal body, so it's also the first time he experiences ordinary mortal hunger and the way it feels having it satiated by good food. Smash cut to our main crew cooking him a feast and defeating him by having him feel having his hunger fulfilled for the first time.

It might work out like Auditors from the Discworld series. Eldritch, otherworldly beings that become vulnerable once present in a corporeal body. Like, they die from eating chocolate vulnerable

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

scaterry posted:

It might work out like Auditors from the Discworld series. Eldritch, otherworldly beings that become vulnerable once present in a corporeal body. Like, they die from eating chocolate vulnerable

Laios's dog-impersonating skills saving the day once again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Lt. Lizard posted:

It does fit the logic of this setting.