Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It is Very Important that the scene where Valentine makes one of his mooks disappear behind a door under the guise of helping him fix his hosed up face is animated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm very interested to see if they keep Valentine's changing appearances, or if they give him his "main" body everyone knows him in from the start

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'm very interested to see if they keep Valentine's changing appearances, or if they give him his "main" body everyone knows him in from the start

They kept Iggy's evolution and the shockingly well-dressed Diavolo, they'll keep Short King Valentine.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Good points! Can't wait to see him animated

Can't wait to see all of that animated

Even the cg horses

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Funky Valentine posted:

They kept Iggy's evolution and the shockingly well-dressed Diavolo, they'll keep Short King Valentine.

Counterpoint: Trish only had her math outfit instead of the outfit she originally had.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

They didn't kepe Tall Tamami

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
We already know every possible Valentine shares the same stand. If they keep him they can include some throwaway line about an assassination attempt, "Mr. President, I thought you were dead!" "Never better, actually," and turn it into foreshadowing.

Then when they reveal his powers later, the anime thread can go tinfoil hat crazy.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

god I hope to see Steel Ball Run done, and done well. I love it so much

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Funky Valentine posted:

It is Very Important that the scene where Valentine makes one of his mooks disappear behind a door under the guise of helping him fix his hosed up face is animated.

Dojyaaan~

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I went to buy the manga and it was all hard cover and super expensive so rip

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Each hardcover volume’s got more or less two paperback volumes’ worth of content, so at $20 per hardcover, you’re not paying any more than you would with paperbacks. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

We already know every possible Valentine shares the same stand. If they keep him they can include some throwaway line about an assassination attempt, "Mr. President, I thought you were dead!" "Never better, actually," and turn it into foreshadowing.

Then when they reveal his powers later, the anime thread can go tinfoil hat crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH7rGUuzV-M

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Isn't it a Valentine from a different universe where he's not fat?

Actually, I wonder how many people remember Wekapipo had a moustache at one point.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Actually, I wonder how many people remember Wekapipo had a moustache at one point.

No, he is not! His build changes without any given explanation during the scene where he gets rapey with Lucy, it actually has nothing to do alternate reality bodies even though everyone remembers it that way

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Bad Seafood posted:

Iirc they don't? It's just that D4C lets Prime!Valentine take over a parallel self if he gets mortally wounded. D4C exists only in the prime dimension like the Holy Corpse.

No Dignity posted:

No, he is not! His build changes without any given explanation during the scene where he gets rapey with Lucy, it actually has nothing to do alternate reality bodies even though everyone remembers it that way

It's probably just a design change ala Hazamada and Tamaki.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

No Dignity posted:

Doesn't she like, stab him or something in that scene? Then he swaps out? Maybe I'm misremembering, but I know it's the first time we get a hint of his stand - I think he drops into a new dimension by falling over in a chair or something.

e: re-read the chapters around then. So earlier in Chapter 61, where Lucy stabs him, he is draw as though he has a bit of fat - definitely not as much as earlier, but he has a distinctly more wide build to his face

However, later that very same chapter he seems much more... fit

Near the end of the chapter Lucy does indeed stab him and he does some bullshit with a chair to swap out - it doesn't really make any sense how he does it compared to what we know of how his stand power works later, but whatever Araki changed his mind a lot when it came to D4C.

However, after swapping bodies, Valentine is quite distinctly the one we know and love, and afaik is no longer drawn chunky at all.

Soooo...inconclusive maybe? It does seem like he spontaneously becomes buff to show off his sickass scars, so maybe that's where he loses the weight, however VERY shortly after he gets ganked by Lucy and swaps to a new body, so I could see plenty of people interpreting it as him swapping for a more buff body when he realizes there's danger at hand.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 17, 2022

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

CodfishCartographer posted:

Doesn't she like, stab him or something in that scene? Then he swaps out? Maybe I'm misremembering, but I know it's the first time we get a hint of his stand - I think he drops into a new dimension by falling over in a chair or something.

Valentine is already in his Hunk mode when she does that.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Native he fatally cut himself shaving two hours before that and turned into a hunk then

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

Soooo...inconclusive maybe? It does seem like he spontaneously becomes buff to show off his sickass scars, so maybe that's where he loses the weight, however VERY shortly after he gets ganked by Lucy and swaps to a new body, so I could see plenty of people interpreting it as him swapping for a more buff body when he realizes there's danger at hand.

That's not inconclusive though, in your own chain of events you've correctly identified he becomes swole inexplicably to show off his scars and then he gets stabbed by Lucy and swaps out, and prior to that he see his build slowly change over the course of the scene without any opportunity to swap bodies. It's a purely artistic/weird Araki thing

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

God, I forgot that he had scars on the pattern of the American flag on his back. Valentine is such a great, over the top villain, I can't wait to see SBR animated.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Valentine is the character I probably hate the most in JoJo. I think most comes from the whole rape scene, which is probably the most terrifying thing Araki ever wrote.
He IS fun, but he's also a very realistic villain, akin to Kira. Kira's a bit more hosed in the head to the point where you don't really consider that he might be real.
Valentine pretty much is, aside from his stand powers. A gigantic rapey hypocrite who, by the end of the part pretty much becomes the most standard US president by gaining ability to disrupt poorer countries for his own benefit.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I feel a little differently about kira, he's one of the most realistic villains, but he's an extremely sanitized version of a serial killer. It's lucky for him and the audience both that he has the ability to vaporize his victims' bodies, and that he doesn't keep any permanent trophies, just the hands until they start to stink. Still easily the scariest villain imo because of his combination of god complex and a desire to remain undetected. It's an especially huge contrast to Dio, whose grandiosity and megalomania meant that one way or another he'd have to be dealt with very quickly, while kira could have continued operating quietly in morioh for decades if josuke & co. didn't intervene

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I feel a little differently about kira, he's one of the most realistic villains, but he's an extremely sanitized version of a serial killer. It's lucky for him and the audience both that he has the ability to vaporize his victims' bodies, and that he doesn't keep any permanent trophies, just the hands until they start to stink. Still easily the scariest villain imo because of his combination of god complex and a desire to remain undetected. It's an especially huge contrast to Dio, whose grandiosity and megalomania meant that one way or another he'd have to be dealt with very quickly, while kira could have continued operating quietly in morioh for decades if josuke & co. didn't intervene

While true, I also feel like when we get to know him we go onto a sitcom adventure with a hand bag.
Valentine's first big scene, iirc, is a loving rape scene. But they're both very well written. Mr. Funny just made me uncomfortable. Alrthough it was great when he was talking in emojis.

I wonder if anime will adapt two of my favorite visual gags from Part 6: Valentine providing emojis for his own speech and the last stretch of race having arrows pointing to "Johnny" and "Dio" no matter how close to the camera they are. Like, even in panels of one of the last chapters of the manga named after Johhny where you can see his face you still get an arrow that confirms it's him.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Nope. Araki just drew him differently. Same as when Koichi became a goblin.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Iirc they don't? It's just that D4C lets Prime!Valentine take over a parallel self if he gets mortally wounded. D4C exists only in the prime dimension like the Holy Corpse.
For the purposes of my post (and the narrative) that's effectively a distinction without a difference. Whenever Valentine dies, D4C swaps him with another Valentine. Every Valentine we see is functionally identical; even when there are multiple Valentines, they all acknowledge D4C, and at no point do any of them let the concerns of their home dimension take priority over prime Valentine's.

Obviously with multiverse theory, there are an infinite number of dimensions, some so infinitesimally different (someone in the future has Fruit Loops for breakfast instead of Cinnamon Toast Crunch) that finding a Valentine who is otherwise perfectly interchangeable with the original would not be difficult, but the point stands: Fat Valentine dying and being replaced by Funny Valentine could work as foreshadowing if they decided to employ it.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Vookatos posted:

Valentine is the character I probably hate the most in JoJo. I think most comes from the whole rape scene, which is probably the most terrifying thing Araki ever wrote.
He IS fun, but he's also a very realistic villain, akin to Kira. Kira's a bit more hosed in the head to the point where you don't really consider that he might be real.
Valentine pretty much is, aside from his stand powers. A gigantic rapey hypocrite who, by the end of the part pretty much becomes the most standard US president by gaining ability to disrupt poorer countries for his own benefit.

He's got the grounded terribleness of Kira combined with the global ambition of DIO/Kars (and the skill/power to credibly threaten the world). SBR is such an amazing distillation of all the JoJo that came before.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Nope. Araki just drew him differently. Same as when Koichi became a goblin.

There are several points across Jojo where characters greatly shift in physical proportion to reflect a change in either their self perception or how their perceived by others. You see this with more than a handful of part 4 antagonists. You see this with Pesci in part 5. In part 8, Damo corrects his posture and goes from being some schlub to one of the more genuinely attractive characters in the series.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, I understand. I recall Tamami and Hazamada shrinking. I was just referring to this:

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Okay that's Part 4: Diamond is Unbreakable done!

Loved how extravagant, over-the-top and flamboyant a lot of the characters were, and it was interesting to see the plot confined to one location. Although, the plot felt all over the place and kind of like the author was winging it as he went, and there were a bunch of inconsistencies with plot threads being forgotten about. Overall I really enjoyed and felt like it was the strongest part so far in terms of style, characters and battles, but the weakest in terms of writing and setting.

Loved:
- Old Joseph and his interactions with Josuke were super charming, and searching for an invisible baby drowning in water was such a bizarre situation.
- The 3-episode stretch of the "alien" that Josuke has turn into dice to rip off his pals, Rohan getting so full of hatred trying to find the cheating vomiting dice that he doesn't notice/care his house is on fire, leading into the just bonkers Highway Star battle, is probably the greatest poo poo i've ever seen on TV.
- Heaven's Door is such a cool power
- The restaurant visit for just being such a funny and cozy episode.
- Enigma, wow
- Kira as a person is a pretty terrifying villain
- The mind game between transformed Kira and his new 'son' was tense A F
- Digged the small-town vibe a lot overall
- Loved the first and third intro
- Overall all the weird as poo poo stand battle was peak JoJo's
- On that topic: Sniper rats

Shitpile:
- Biggest thing is the part really suffered a lot from being confined to one location but still following the MOTW format. In earlier parts especially SDC there was a sense of progression that's sorely missing here. In Part 2 you can count the remaining pillar men and in SDC you can see on a map how far they are from Egypt/Cairo, but here it just feels like the weekly stand users keep coming until the author decides to progress the plot. I know that's the case in earlier parts too but it was a lot better done.
- Old Joseph showing up for the sole purpose of using his power to locate killers, and then doing absolutely nothing, ever.
- On those two topics, Kira's dad photo flying around for ages shooting people was grating, dumb and boring and made Joseph not using his powers to locate the bad guys even more insufferably stupid.
- Crazy Diamond just magically losing its property of things being repaired in a wrong/wonky manner.
- Killer Queen Bites The Dust being just a patchwork of random abilities to force a certain situation.
- Koichi dating the psycho who tortured and tried to murder him, yeah right sure.
- The Cinderella episode also felt like it was another random patchwork powerset and that also made the episode feel like it.
- Reverb Act 3 was much less interesting than Act1/2's sound-word powers.
- Felt like they tried but pretty much failed to build up Morioh as a living breathing small town.
- There was a looot of 'Goku will arrive in 20 seconds!' *five minutes of talking later:* 'Goku will arrive in 10 seconds!' moments.
- Also a lot of 'The person with the perfect power for this situation is here but just stares at the sky and does nothing' moments.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Sep 19, 2022

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Yukako thing is a little weird, especially since my initial understanding of the Cinderella arc was that Yukako brainwashed Koichi into loving her and everyone was just cool with it.

Even without the anime adding a scene of Koichi seeing Yukako and running away a few episodes prior, it does come across like their relationship does a sudden 180. I guess you're supposed to see it as Yukako calming down since her initial attempt, a lot of the Stand Users being forgiven for being :black101: in their first outings, and Cinderella allowing Koichi's old attraction to her to resurface, but it probably would've helped to see Koichi gradually change his mind on her rather than suddenly going from afraid to dating her.

Also, yeah, Echoes Act 3 feels less impressive than Act 2 beyond it having a funny personality. People like to dunk on Okuyasu a lot and say he doesn't use his Stand well (he does), but Act 2 is a well of untapped potential that Koichi uses a grand total of twice before permanently retiring it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Echoes 2 had to go because Araki accidentally gave an incredibly powerful and flexible Gold Experience-style protagonist Stand to a supporting character

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's that one scene during Cheap Trick(?) where Yukako is having lunch with just Josuke and Okuyasu that was always pretty weird to see.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Bisse posted:

- Crazy Diamond just magically losing its property of things being repaired in a wrong/wonky manner.

That's not an intristic property of his power, Josuke just does that when he's really pissed off.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/Taryn_Cosplay/status/1571207223010811904

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Bisse posted:

- Koichi dating the psycho who tortured and tried to murder him, yeah right sure.

hey man to each their own

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
2/5 of the Stardust group joined after trying to kill one of the members, and Okuyasu almost killed Koichi. It's like Dragonball, once the bad thing stops happening you're all cool.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Bisse posted:

Let's be totally honest here: was Koichi ever gonna do any better?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Truly a boy with no dignity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

don't see the big deal, koichi and josuke are friends with lots of people who tried to murder them. bffs, even.