Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The incredible shrinking Utah.

Finish the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Another proof for the Utah = Palestine theory

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Honj Steak posted:

Another proof for the Utah = Palestine theory

No, it's the magical shrinking Israel

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

southeastern Idaho needs Right of Return

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

straight borders are stupid as hell

i mean all borders are, but ones that are just straight lines especially so

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

gimme more weird permeable fractal poo poo like exclaves within exclaves

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I maintain that we should have more calligraphy borders

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

everything based around circles like delaware

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

All borders that don't follow natural barriers like mountain ranges, rivers, deserts, etc. are silly.

Which is why Czechia has the best borders.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Historically rivers specifically are often more of a main transport route than a barrier, though.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Groke posted:

Historically rivers specifically are often more of a main transport route than a barrier, though.

And check out how many countries have mountains as the centre of their country rather than a border. Looking at you, Romania.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Carthag Tuek posted:

straight borders are stupid as hell

i mean all borders are, but ones that are just straight lines especially so

You need a balance between straight lines and squiggles.

Canada has too many straight lines in its internal borders, and Mexico has too many squiggles. America is juuust right. (Hey, we have to get something right. Let us have this one. Please. Please let us have this meaningless question of map aesthetics.)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

texas is very aesthetically pleasing, easy to see why it's on so many belt buckles

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

i say swears online posted:

texas is very aesthetically pleasing, easy to see why it's on so many belt buckles

Trying to imagine a Wyoming belt buckle

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Badger of Basra posted:

How about Idaho?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

How about Idaho?

*Bends forward* "Ow!"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Straight lines make more sense for land that is largely undeveloped, since whatever natural features you think at the time will be a good border probably won't be what you expected by the time people do start living in that area in large amounts.

Probably it'd be better if the borders didn't get frozen in stone at first conception so things could be redistricted to be more fair or sensible. Redrawing the borders would be a big huge fight from political interests jockeying for power, but then drawing the borders in the first place was a big huge fight of political interests jockeying for power, just the fight was long enough ago that everything has shifted and we've forgotten.

Badger of Basra posted:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Powered Descent posted:

You need a balance between straight lines and squiggles.

Canada has too many straight lines in its internal borders, and Mexico has too many squiggles. America is juuust right. (Hey, we have to get something right. Let us have this one. Please. Please let us have this meaningless question of map aesthetics.)
Out of those options, I do actually agree. That said, the US would be more aesthetically pleasing if it had great variety in the size of the states, best achieved by consolidating some central ones.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

lmao

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

At first glance this looks like a broken belt buckle

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

well something about it is broken

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Hey map nerds, is there any way to "turn back time" on Google Maps, like for instance, to see how long it would have taken me to drive from Marseille to Paris in 2010? Or how long it would have taken to drive from Dubrovnik to Split in 2021?

Or is there even any easy way to see how the street plan of an area changed over time, without going to Street View for a hyper-specific spot, hoping they have multiple years, and clicking back and forth? Like specifically I've been driving the N57 highway in France for years (Besancon–Nancy) and there has been steady albeit incredibly slow progress on turning it from a regional highway into a full double-lane separated carriageway. My previous car was still using 2009 GPS maps so I would very clearly notice when the developments from 2009 to 2020 would shave like 15 minutes off my ETA, but now since I get automatic map updates, it'll be harder for me to notice e.g. how much of a difference it makes when they finish the new double carriageway directly at Besancon.

For autoroutes, it's a little easier to find maps of the pre and post expansion, like in Switzerland before the recent completion of the trans-Jura A-16 and the glacial (no pun intended) construction of the upper Valais autoroute A-9, but for national routes it's like impossible to find anything.

The closest I could find was this Wired article mentioning "Old Maps Online" ( https://www.wired.com/story/google-street-view-old-maps-online-travel-back-time/ ) but this goes like... too far back in time. Seemingly there is no way to go back in time for Google Maps even to previous years of data that they surely still have? Results for going back in time for Google Street View was polluting all of my searches on whether or not this is a thing that exists.

E: I had already checked the time slider on Google Earth – that also doesn't change the roads, the road data overlay is as far as I can tell, always the most recent version, so I still have to know EXCATLY what I'm looking for and it's only slightly easier than going around on Street View. Like I can see that the Courrendlin highway bypass opened sometime between 10/2009 and 9/2016, which isn't very helpful since I already knew I had to look at that exact spot.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Sep 17, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I can tell you where to get Open Street Map data from 2010. It’s here.

Dealing with that data in a practical manner is left as an exercise for the reader.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Platystemon posted:

I can tell you where to get Open Street Map data from 2010. It’s here.

Dealing with that data in a practical manner is left as an exercise for the reader.

I've looked at the internal format of OSM data once and ran away screaming.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I did too. Trying to understand anything by looking at the raw DB isn't going to work, but it should be pretty feasible to just set up a renderer and point it to the snapshot that you want. I haven't actually done this myself so I dunno but check https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Rendering

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Hmm, the Continental strategy of Aldi-North could have worked if they'd managed to confine Aldi-South to the Mediterranean, but their failure to seize the Suez has permitted their foe to access critical resource bases in the Anglosphere and China. On the other hand, the kingdom of Trader Joe's is in personal union with Aldi-North, offering them a possible avenue to countering this overseas offensive.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

It's not as clear cut, North America is in the middle of a partisan war as Aldi Nord has deployed its Trader Joe's guerillas.

E:FB

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.davidrumsey.com/

Map site. Can't be arsed to find some interesting ones, but some of y'all might be interested.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Xelkelvos posted:

https://www.davidrumsey.com/

Map site. Can't be arsed to find some interesting ones, but some of y'all might be interested.

Thanks!

link to the map where you can zoom

Finland is just Russias fart, China is some sort of clock-obsessed pig and America is south of east asia for some reason

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 17, 2022

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
:nz:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

What's wrong, it's not missing!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Interesting depiction of Saudi Arabia.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Herodotus discovered the Hyperaotearoans, setting in motion the events that caused the nine elevens.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Google maps can't find any Aldis in French Guiana, though there is a restaurant named Saveur D'Aldi in Cayenne if you still want that Aldi flavour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Angepain posted:

Google maps can't find any Aldis in French Guiana, though there is a restaurant named Saveur D'Aldi in Cayenne if you still want that Aldi flavour.

Since French Guiana is not a colony or overseas territory but a part of Proper France, if you colour France on a map tool it will automatically get the same colour.