Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

He hates bullpups

He specifically hates bullpup conversions of existing rifles as they're a kludge.

But is pretty chill with ones designed from the ground up to be bullpups.... mostly. (looking at you, L85A1).

He loves his FAMAS. :fluffy:

edit: He cred went down in my view when he tried to publish an Azov memoir (before 2022 conflict).

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I studied in Russia at St Petersburg State Polytechnic for a couple of years as a foreign exchange student through my home university. I logged on to my Vkontakte account for the first time in a decade and I guess I've had a lot of former classmates and friends get deleted in the special military operation. I'm sad, but only so much. They would have all been contractors (or convicts :v:) at our age. My Ukrainian friends are still, as far as I know, alive and well though I haven't heard from them since the Kharkiv counteroffensive began

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

I studied in Russia at St Petersburg State Polytechnic for a couple of years as a foreign exchange student through my home university. I logged on to my Vkontakte account for the first time in a decade and I guess I've had a lot of former classmates and friends get deleted in the special military operation. I'm sad, but only so much. They would have all been contractors (or convicts :v:) at our age. My Ukrainian friends are still, as far as I know, alive and well though I haven't heard from them since the Kharkiv counteroffensive began

By deleted you mean they removed you as a contact, or they died?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Enjoy posted:

By deleted you mean they removed you as a contact, or they died?

Mostly killed, some wounded, one "deserter" from what I was able to glean. Naturally, people aren't being exactly...open about it, so it's a lot of reading between the lines and personal convos

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

HonorableTB posted:

It's interesting to me that there would be substantial numbers of contractor participants from the St Petersburg area. That doesn't reflect the more...imperial...decisions about distribution of forces we'd been hearing.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

I thought there were a bunch of other stories going about that they were poo poo?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Discendo Vox posted:

It's interesting to me that there would be substantial numbers of contractor participants from the St Petersburg area. That doesn't reflect the more...imperial...decisions about distribution of forces we'd been hearing.

Completely different scales. For example, Shoigu's home republic of Tuva has 300 000 inhabitants. St. Petersburg has 5 million. There are going to be percentually a lot fewer people in St. Pete who will find the army's wages lucrative enough to take the risk, but it doesn't have to be a huge percentage to still be way above the absolute numbers from tiny national republics like Tuva.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

I was surprised by that too, but from what I can remember from our school days (I focused in Russian military history and nuclear warfare theory), some of them were super gung-ho about all things military and the majority of them were poor and came from working class backgrounds, or lower-middle class with their families barely keeping above water. I remember a couple of guys talking about wanting to be career officers and use that to gain influence. One of them (who didn't end up going military) ended up connected in some way to Deripaska and he tried to recruit me into a fake-news site back in 2016 and pitched it as a way to make some money while "presenting an unbiased view of the news" - wasn't til later I realized what that actually was and what I was being offered in the process lol.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hopefully the Super-Bonker is ok :ohdear:

Seems like the Gepard or something similar would be the way to counter these.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

HonorableTB posted:

One of them (who didn't end up going military) ended up connected in some way to Deripaska and he tried to recruit me into a fake-news site back in 2016 and pitched it as a way to make some money while "presenting an unbiased view of the news" - wasn't til later I realized what that actually was and what I was being offered in the process lol.

:catstare: now that's something I'd love to hear every possible detail about.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Just Another Lurker posted:

edit: He cred went down in my view when he tried to publish an Azov memoir (before 2022 conflict).

He did, but he was being naive about Azov and his biggest mistake was not researching the author (who was a flaming nazi already before they joined Azov). He got called out on this and he handled it as well as anyone could tbh, almost immediately owning up to his mistake and vowing to better research his authors and book topics before publishing.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

spankmeister posted:

almost immediately owning up to his mistake and vowing to better research his authors and book topics before publishing.

He did react only when patreon killed the fundraiser, not on his own and literally pouted on video(his first reaction video is now private). He went "I'm sorry for not researching" on his second video on that, after grabbing a shitload of flak on his first reaction vid.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Seems like a bad idea to publicise which enemy weapons are causing you the most grief.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
ya'll are probably subbed to it already but thread favorite Perun made an update recapping the offensive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B93tLs39pQo

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/OSINTEng/status/1571381583008907264

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It would be easier to fear you if you weren't arming yourself with Houthi hand-me-downs, bud

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

gay picnic defence posted:

Seems like a bad idea to publicise which enemy weapons are causing you the most grief.

Knowing how Ukraine communicates to the outside world, it's perfectly possible the drones are doing nothing, or even actively harm the Russian effort.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Why the hell are weapons like this called drones instead of cruise missiles or just missiles if the former definition is too narrow?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
^^^^ Yeah that's what I was wondering. It just looks like it's a slow cruise missile? It sure doesn't look like it could be a loitering munition with that wing profile.

It's a bit hard to tell with just that one minute context, but it still seems like they think that the Bucha massacre was faked, but that now they should "own" it anyway to make themselves scarier to Western Europeans. I also like that bit about 'genetic memory' - the younger guy must be up to date on his Assassin's Creed tech.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Zudgemud posted:

Why the hell are weapons like this called drones instead of cruise missiles or just missiles if the former definition is too narrow?

Are they not more correctly termed Loitering Munitions?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

nimby posted:

Knowing how Ukraine communicates to the outside world, it's perfectly possible the drones are doing nothing, or even actively harm the Russian effort.

I find it hard to believe Ukraine, who is shooting down over 50% of proper Russian missiles, suddenly has trouble with comparatively primitive Iranian cruise missiles. But anything to drum up support is useful.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

He did react only when patreon killed the fundraiser, not on his own and literally pouted on video(his first reaction video is now private). He went "I'm sorry for not researching" on his second video on that, after grabbing a shitload of flak on his first reaction vid.

Hmm I didn't see the first video, might reevaluate.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Literally

steinrokkan posted:

I find it hard to believe Ukraine, who is shooting down over 50% of proper Russian missiles, suddenly has trouble with comparatively primitive Iranian cruise missiles. But anything to drum up support is useful.

They probably just want more Gepards and NASMS.

Could be also a way to make the russians think they're working while in reality they get blow out of the sky

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

On the contrary, publicly saying they had problems with Russian artillery secured Ukraine the delivery of HIMARS.
Besides, just saying "Iranian" is sure going to trigger bloodlust in some neocon lobbyist.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/Andrew__Roth/status/1571426249939079168

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
No sympathy for pro-Russian Ukrainians, admittedly. All they've done is made life absolutely miserable for everyone else.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

No sympathy for pro-Russian Ukrainians, admittedly. All they've done is made life absolutely miserable for everyone else.

Yeah, it really gets the old tears flowing when I hear the plight of people who sold out their neighbor's to the rapist horde.

It's right up there with hearing the colonizers lamenting how they have to flee the land they stole.

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Sep 18, 2022

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Watching Perun's latest video on the counter-offensive and he brings up a point that I never really considered. He points out that the United States potential justification for withholding ATACMS missiles. Because they could be used to strike into Russia itself. Ukraine promises it will only use it on military targets within Ukraine. But it's likely being used by the US as a tool of political leverage. A sword of damocles against russia's government. As a threat that continued escalation of attacks against civilian targets could result in them being issued to Ukraine en masse with no fire restrictions.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The kids probably aren't traitors so that sucks.

As I mentioned before, there are plenty of legitimate reasons to be mad at the government, but if you really love russia so much, they've been giving out passports to anyone with a pulse. And it's riiight loving there.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Watching Perun's latest video on the counter-offensive and he brings up a point that I never really considered. He points out that the United States potential justification for withholding ATACMS missiles. Because they could be used to strike into Russia itself. Ukraine promises it will only use it on military targets within Ukraine. But it's likely being used by the US as a tool of political leverage. A sword of damocles against russia's government. As a threat that continued escalation of attacks against civilian targets could result in them being issued to Ukraine en masse with no fire restrictions.
Yeah I dunno, GLMRS can also strike inside russia too and Ukraine had some Tochka missiles too.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Zudgemud posted:

They are drones - or more precisely loitering munitions - because they have the ability to autonomously operate while in flight to select targets.

I'm not even sure that the picture used as preview on that tweet is an actual Shahed 136, which looks more like this

https://twitter.com/inbarspace/status/1474830703296761857/photo/1

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

The kids probably aren't traitors so that sucks.

As I mentioned before, there are plenty of legitimate reasons to be mad at the government, but if you really love russia so much, they've been giving out passports to anyone with a pulse. And it's riiight loving there.

Those passports aren't real and the Russians aren't treating them as real. Because this was never about protecting people.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah I dunno, GLMRS can also strike inside russia too and Ukraine had some Tochka missiles too.

ATACMS provides a lot more leverage though. If the Kerch Strait bridge is still standing after 24 hours of Ukraine getting their first batch of ATACMS I'd be surprised, and that has all kinds of implications for keeping troops in Crimea and Kherson regions supplied.

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit
So they're getting ATACMS like ever?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

spankmeister posted:

.... He got called out on this and he handled it as well as anyone could tbh.

Oh god he didn't:

First vid; Azov have been somewhat maligned by the media (wish i had saved the actual wording but it's pretty close).

Apology vid; I'm sorry you don't want to read this interesting history.

I like his work, but given where that topic of weapons can take you a certain amount of common sense is preferred and the closer to modern times the more it is warranted.

edit: spelling

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Sep 18, 2022

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

ATACMS provides a lot more leverage though. If the Kerch Strait bridge is still standing after 24 hours of Ukraine getting their first batch of ATACMS I'd be surprised, and that has all kinds of implications for keeping troops in Crimea and Kherson regions supplied.

They still have big ports in Crimea which are extremely efficient for transferring lots of materiel. Also they'd have to use a ton of ATACMS and make sure they all hit very precisely to do more than just temporarily damage the bridge -- the Russians were patching the Kherson area bridges pretty well for weeks, it took a ton of direct hits to actually destroy them. Presumably there are more effective uses for millions of dollars worth of missiles.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Saladman posted:

They still have big ports in Crimea which are extremely efficient for transferring lots of materiel. Also they'd have to use a ton of ATACMS and make sure they all hit very precisely to do more than just temporarily damage the bridge -- the Russians were patching the Kherson area bridges pretty well for weeks, it took a ton of direct hits to actually destroy them. Presumably there are more effective uses for millions of dollars worth of missiles.

They don't need to blow up the entire bridge. They need to hit and destroy the rail line part of it.

Then hit the road enough to slow everything down.

Then hit the port to slow it down.

Eventually that bridge is going to get blown, but just damaging it will slow the supplies.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Nelson Mandingo posted:

But it's likely being used by the US as a tool of political leverage. A sword of damocles against russia's government. As a threat that continued escalation of attacks against civilian targets could result in them being issued to Ukraine en masse with no fire restrictions.

You know what else would stop Russia from being able to escalate attacks against civilians? Not having the weapons to hit them anymore, because they've been blown up, by Ukranian ATACMs.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

cgeq posted:

You know what else would stop Russia from being able to escalate attacks against civilians? Not having the weapons to hit them anymore, because they've been blown up, by Ukranian ATACMs.

In general the things hitting Ukrainian infrastructure are things like submarine launched Kalibr cruise missiles. Not something that's going to be hit by HIMARS systems, no matter the range.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Chalks posted:

In general the things hitting Ukrainian infrastructure are things like submarine launched Kalibr cruise missiles. Not something that's going to be hit by HIMARS systems, no matter the range.

Russia has been reloading the subs in port in sevastopol, so yes it is within the realm of possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Russia has been reloading the subs in port in sevastopol, so yes it is within the realm of possibility.

Not since the recent strikes in Crimea. They are also air launched from Russian airspace, etc etc. Preventing Kalibr launches with ATACMS is a fantasy.

Not that they wouldn't be extremely useful for striking depots and c&c deeper into occupied territory, but the suggestion of using the threat of them to prevent cruise missiles strikes isn't without merit.

Will be interesting to see how long it takes more Ukrainian built long range missile capabilities to come online. I assume the strikes in Crimea we saw won't be the last.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 18, 2022