Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

I do wonder if Vegeta had chosen not to go oozaru if he would just....won, cleanly. He nearly lost an eye, and while he had incapacitated Goku by stomping his legs, Goku's body was barely held together after the Kaioken x4. Pretty real chance with the amount of fight Vegeta still had left in him that he could have finished Goku off without the transformation.

He definitely could have, remember he burned through a lot of energy to make his bootleg moon to begin with, it was that and all the other poo poo mentioned that left him burned out. If he could sense energy or didn’t break his scouter (though I guess it might’ve broken in combat anyway) he would have known the fight was done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Also it was the moon and his spiking power that alerted Krillin and Gohan.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Things were never the same after Frieza. It was paint-by-numbers after that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Things were never the same after Frieza. It was paint-by-numbers after that.

I can't really agree with that at all. The Cell Saga was flawed but it sure as hell wasn't predictable. It involves time travel, constantly shifting villains, and Gohan winning instead of Goku with (seemingly) Goku genuinely staying dead.

The Buu Saga's first half is similarly all kinds of wild and it's only the Super Buu stuff that trends into predictable. Everything involving Fat Buu feels at least distinctive. "Mr. Satan befriends bubble gum devil" isn't easily predictable.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

ImpAtom posted:

I can't really agree with that at all. The Cell Saga was flawed but it sure as hell wasn't predictable. It involves time travel, constantly shifting villains, and Gohan winning instead of Goku with (seemingly) Goku genuinely staying dead.

The Buu Saga's first half is similarly all kinds of wild and it's only the Super Buu stuff that trends into predictable. Everything involving Fat Buu feels at least distinctive. "Mr. Satan befriends bubble gum devil" isn't easily predictable.

Piccolo Jr Saga up through the absorption of Android 17 is the best run of Dragonball, for me. The plots are twisty, it's not the Goku show all the time, I love it. Perfect Cell is flawed but fine, and Buu is... Buu, but it's all generally fine.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Super Saiyan had no drawback unlike Kaioken and that was when and why things started to be less exciting and incredible

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah Toryiama doesn’t really care enough to make a by the numbers story. It’s whatever pops in his head. Which does explain the Buu saga I feel

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

KAIOKEN: “HAAAAAA! This is my trump card technique GOD KING FIST, a divine technique I learned while dead, which will multiply my power incredibly but my loving heart might explode, or my ki permanently damaged from the gargantuan stress of a divine technique being pushed way past its limits! I gotta go to TIMES FOUR, COSTING MY LIFE TO BE JUST STRONG ENOUGH TO OVERCOME!!!!”

ME: “Higher. More. More multipliers. I want to see your goddamn spine blow out of your rear end. YES.”

SUPER SAIYAN: “Ohhhh I went too hard! I better drink a senzu smoothie and take a nap!”

ME: “Where is the blood. Stop coughing up sweat.”

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean Super Saiyan was relevant for 1.5 fights and then proceeded to do nothing but get the everliving poo poo kicked out of it for the rest of time unless the enemy was a joke.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
There's two specific points where I'd say Buu Saga really starts to dip, Super Buu breaking out the absorption trick(particularly that he uses it three loving times in a row to get rid of an opponent that would have been a more interesting one to fight than Goku and Vegeta), and the other being Kid Buu in his entirety, like I think we can all agree that Kid Buu is the least interesting main villain in the entirety of the franchise besides maybe Hirudegarn(if we count stuff like movies and games), he's just a mindless berserker who does nothing but punch, scream, and blow poo poo up and not even in particularly interesting ways either

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Super Saiyan is a less interesting technique than Kaioken but is a better story beat especially in its first appearance.

Kaioken is something you learn while Super Saiyan is something you unlock through major emotional moments. And Krillin's death leading to Goku unleashing some hidden power through his rage and his love for his best buddy is some good poo poo.

drrockso20 posted:

There's two specific points where I'd say Buu Saga really starts to dip, Super Buu breaking out the absorption trick(particularly that he uses it three loving times in a row to get rid of an opponent that would have been a more interesting one to fight than Goku and Vegeta), and the other being Kid Buu in his entirety, like I think we can all agree that Kid Buu is the least interesting main villain in the entirety of the franchise besides maybe Hirudegarn(if we count stuff like movies and games), he's just a mindless berserker who does nothing but punch, scream, and blow poo poo up and not even in particularly interesting ways either

Kid Buu's a great fight imo. First fight since Frieza to really go against the formula of what big Dragonball fights had become. Frieza, Cell and Super Buu are all fights based around the heroes and villains alternating sudden powerups or new forms to create a big back and forth battle until someone's newest form finally puts the other guy away. That's not the case with Kid Buu because after Vegeto, the good guys don't got any more power ups. It's also got a good finale to Vegeta's deal and Mr Satan leading all of Earth to come together to lend energy to the spirit bomb (especially with all the cameos) is very good.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

drrockso20 posted:

he's just a mindless berserker who does nothing but punch, scream, and blow poo poo up and not even in particularly interesting ways either

disagree on this point, the actual fight with him is incredibly cool and the chaotic way he fights is really unique for the series.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah I would say Super Buu is the least interesting. His main attacks are kind of boring, and he steals techniques. Which Cell already did

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I grew up watching bootlegs of the DBZ movies before I saw the show and Super Saiyan was so amazing that it was extremely jarring to see them get chumped for the first time by the androids.

Aside from the ugly animation, the Vegeta saga battle did indeed own.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Shinjobi posted:

I do wonder if Vegeta had chosen not to go oozaru if he would just....won, cleanly. He nearly lost an eye, and while he had incapacitated Goku by stomping his legs, Goku's body was barely held together after the Kaioken x4. Pretty real chance with the amount of fight Vegeta still had left in him that he could have finished Goku off without the transformation.

Probably, but Vegeta had no way of knowing that. He didn't notice that Goku's technique was self-destructive - he just knew that in a head-to-head power-against-power match, he not only lost but got blasted halfway to the stratosphere. Goku had just been getting stronger and stronger as the fight went on, and he had no idea where Goku's limit was.

And unlike post-Frieza Vegeta, he wasn't even slightly excited about fighting strong dudes. Vegeta's first appearance was in it to win it first and foremost, and to show his absolute superiority if the opportunity arose. He toyed around with the Earthlings only when they seemed overwhelmingly weaker than him. The moment Goku bloodied him even slightly, he was done with fighting fair.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

iamsosmrt posted:

Aside from the ugly animation, the Vegeta saga battle did indeed own.

???

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Anyone who says the Kid Buu fight is boring does not remember the Kid Buu fight properly

https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/31390
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/75528
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/137241
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/161819
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/161808

It is easily the best looking and most well coregraphed fight Z had outside of the movies, and even then it's a lot better than some of those (looking at you, lord slug and metal cooler)

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 19, 2022

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Kid Buu is way cooler than Super Buu. Felt like a breath of fresh air at the time

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

People always say it would be a win for Vegeta even if he didn't use great ape, but it's not like Goku was really that done for. We don't know how much strength Vegeta had after taking the kamehameha, he still could had have eaten the spirit bomb (he hadn't seen the solar flare yet), and even though Goku took a couple of hits from oozaru vegeta (not exactly 10x strength but still a big multiplier) Goku was wasn't pasted and still managed to use kaioken another few times.

So maybe, maybe not.

Bushmaori fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 19, 2022

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I think some of my favorite Dragonball stuff is early Namek. Partly nostalgia, but also I like the kind of chaotic nature of how you have basically three factions each after the same goal and operating with imperfect knowledge, and the little shifting alliances and dramatic turns that happen.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I think some of my favorite Dragonball stuff is early Namek. Partly nostalgia, but also I like the kind of chaotic nature of how you have basically three factions each after the same goal and operating with imperfect knowledge, and the little shifting alliances and dramatic turns that happen.

This. This is why everything after the Namek/Frieza sagas just never reached that same level. It effectively became "Us vs Them" once Frieza was done, and has been ever since.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tournament of Power was 11 factions.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Among its high points, Namek has the imo best "gokuwinslol" moment of the series when as previously mentioned gohan/krillin/vegeta are having to resort to any scumbag tactic they can just to stay alive against the ginyus, gohan's toddler neck gets broken, then goku walks out of the ship like the hand of god and just erases all of them. Then gets the same treatment from Frieza.

E: well, recoome burter and jeice at least

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Goku treating Recoome like a gag fight was hilarious, honestly.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Black August posted:

Super Saiyan had no drawback unlike Kaioken and that was when and why things started to be less exciting and incredible

To be fair, Kaioken has had a drawback exactly twice, and one of those was in Dragon Ball Super.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
To be fair that’s just plain because Kaioken had a short run, it basically just gets used for the stretch between Goku v Nappa up until SSJ, it’s not like Solar Flare where it’s introduced back in Dragonball and the only way to no-sell it is to have Master Roshi nearby.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

We should factor in that Super Saiyan just looks plain cooler than the Kaioken.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

???

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

This. This is why everything after the Namek/Frieza sagas just never reached that same level. It effectively became "Us vs Them" once Frieza was done, and has been ever since.

cell and the androids?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Shinjobi posted:

He might have, and that's what makes the fight so fun. Both the hero and the villain were throwing everything they had out there without really knowing what they're doing. It was a desperate struggle right up until the end.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Funky Valentine posted:

I like Super Saiyan 3 but my hot take is that regular Super Saiyan is kinda... meh? Like I remember my original reaction being fairly hype but also 'so his big transformation is that Goku turns into blonde Vegeta?'

Like consider how radical all the prior transformations we'd seen were. While Frieza's second form is kind of a roid rage version of his first, all his other forms are basically completely new, if similar in some elements, character designs. Zarbon goes from bishie to beast. Saiyans turn into King Kong. Like every transformation in the series to that point was pretty drat dramatic in terms of how different it looked, and now this, the culmination of a literal ancient legend, is just a change in hair style and color.

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 19, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s slightly more than that, Goku’s entire face changes. I mean, that doesn’t exactly help the blonde Vegeta descriptions but that’s kinda the point, OG SSJ Goku’s entire personality changed which is why he just yells at Gohan to get the gently caress away before he loses control completely, and there’s a cold/ruthless vibe that goes beyond anything like, say, the other time Krillin died when he fought Tamborine/King Piccolo.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Oh yeah, no, I like the handling of Goku's personality - at least in that original transformation. I'm just saying more the visual design.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Kid Buu is fun and would've been a lot better had the arc just not dragged rear end so much to get there.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

SSB + Kaioken is the best design just because Goku’s aura makes him look like a rocket pop.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Last Celebration posted:

To be fair that’s just plain because Kaioken had a short run, it basically just gets used for the stretch between Goku v Nappa up until SSJ, it’s not like Solar Flare where it’s introduced back in Dragonball and the only way to no-sell it is to have Master Roshi nearby.

Always did find it weird that Krillen, Tien, or Yamcha never tried learning the Kaio-Ken at some point, particularly during the several year gap between Trunks' first visit and the Androids showing up, at least from a Watsonian perspective that is, most of these kind of things in Dragon Ball have the rather simple Doylist explanations of either Editorial Interference or Toriyama's absolutely abysmal memory

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Always did find it weird that Krillen, Tien, or Yamcha never tried learning the Kaio-Ken at some point, particularly during the several year gap between Trunks' first visit and the Androids showing up, at least from a Watsonian perspective that is, most of these kind of things in Dragon Ball have the rather simple Doylist explanations of either Editorial Interference or Toriyama's absolutely abysmal memory

Kaioken basically kills you if you overuse it. Goku csn get what he does out of it because he is a Saiyan and almost dying makes him stronger. Goku is just the right mix of crazy punch Man to make it work.

Now instant transmission? Yeah that poo poo should be *abused*

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hey you know couldnt Goku have also grabbed 18 after instant transmission-ing in to grab tenshinhan and piccolo?

huh

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
No. She has no ki for him to lock onto and she already left at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Blockhouse posted:

Anyone who says the Kid Buu fight is boring does not remember the Kid Buu fight properly

https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/31390
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/75528
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/137241
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/161819
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/161808

It is easily the best looking and most well coregraphed fight Z had outside of the movies, and even then it's a lot better than some of those (looking at you, lord slug and metal cooler)

My roommate and I are rewatching the original Dragon Ball and it's crazy to see how this series started to where it is now.