Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Extra row of tits posted:

So in a desperate attempt to bring my rapid health failure to a halt I’ve decided to go vegetarian.

Someone point me in the right direction to start, there’s too much information out there.

In addition to what everybody else has said, you'll enjoy it a lot more if you explore foods that are naturally vegetarian (lots of Indian cuisines, for example) rather than just swapping meat substitutes for the meat in your existing diet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borosilicate
Aug 26, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also if you chop up some broccoli and toss it in olive oil with salt and pepper and put it in the air fryer for ten minutes or the oven at 400 for a bit longer you've got the best and easiest side dish for basically any dinner with almost no effort required.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Borosilicate posted:

Also if you chop up some broccoli and toss it in olive oil with salt and pepper and put it in the air fryer for ten minutes or the oven at 400 for a bit longer you've got the best and easiest side dish for basically any dinner with almost no effort required.

This but brussel sprouts too (and garlic powder)

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Okay this is bit of a weird one. How safe is/isn't it to swallow finely blended platic?

Basically I have a cheese sauce which ended up with a small piece of my cheese grater's handle blended into it, I've strained it for big chunks of plastic but there still seem to be some flecks floating around. I'm trying to weigh up if I should go with it or start again.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Tea Bone posted:

Okay this is bit of a weird one. How safe is/isn't it to swallow finely blended platic?

Basically I have a cheese sauce which ended up with a small piece of my cheese grater's handle blended into it, I've strained it for big chunks of plastic but there still seem to be some flecks floating around. I'm trying to weigh up if I should go with it or start again.

We're all full of tiny bits of plastic already, OP

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Tea Bone posted:

You will probably poop it out without noticing. You can poo poo into a colander and sift through it to make sure you do, if you want. A friend of mine once swallowed a quarter from the bottom of a cup of beer, and the dial-a-nurse line at our university told him not to worry about it and verify that it passes in a day or two. The reference minimum size object for needing to go into the hospital was, coincidentally, a quarter.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Squibsy posted:

We're all full of tiny bits of plastic already, OP

Lawnie posted:

You will probably poop it out without noticing. You can poo poo into a colander and sift through it to make sure you do, if you want. A friend of mine once swallowed a quarter from the bottom of a cup of beer, and the dial-a-nurse line at our university told him not to worry about it and verify that it passes in a day or two. The reference minimum size object for needing to go into the hospital was, coincidentally, a quarter.

Thanks guys. I'm not so worried about it getting stuck, it's definitely way under the minimum size to cause any problems there. I was more worried that if it's too small can it get absorbed somewhere or shouldn't or something?

I'm definitely over thinking this though, I'll probably just go with it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

The tiny plastic in our bodies is microscopic, a visible chunk of it should pass through no problem

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

alnilam posted:

The tiny plastic in our bodies is microscopic, a visible chunk of it should pass through no problem

I wouldn't call the 2mm pieces they found in our lungs "microscopic" https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20220411/scientists-find-microplastics-in-human-lung-tissue

We are all of us full of plastic, though, so yeah I wouldn't worry about it. I guess if it was particularly sharp bits you can abrade your guts in a bad way but if it was blended enough to not notice it, you're fine.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Remember those fishbones and chicken leg fragments you've swallowed? Your stomach didn't die from those either. You'll be fine.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Penguissimo posted:

In addition to what everybody else has said, you'll enjoy it a lot more if you explore foods that are naturally vegetarian (lots of Indian cuisines, for example) rather than just swapping meat substitutes for the meat in your existing diet.

That’s good advice!

Thanks everyone for the input (but feel free to post more if you have it)

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

That’s good advice!

Thanks everyone for the input (but feel free to post more if you have it)

If you're not much of a cook but you're interested in vegetarian meals then give Budget Bytes a look.

Here's why I like that site:
  • Beginner friendly.
  • Lost of vegetarian recipes because they tend to be cheap.
  • Common techniques and staple ingredients between recipes. That means they get easier the more you try them and your cabinets won't be overflowing with spices and ingredients you only ever used once.
  • The step by step pictures help you make sure you're doing it right.
But the ultimate secret to easy/lazy vegetarian dinners is a bowl of rice from your rice cooker toped with fried or scrambled eggs and some veggies and hot sauce. Frozen blacks bean burgers or a frozen pizza on the weekend are fine too.

Edit: Here are some places to start:

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 16, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The idea of pre-prepared meals is very appealing to me (at least to start) I’m an ok cook assuming it’s meat and bog standard ‘tatoes.

Look into indian food imo, you can make a big pot Saag or some other tasty curry and stick it in the fridge. There's tons of great traditional vegetarian recipes without having to pull any weird substitutions because hindu religious vegetarianism has been a thing for thousands of years.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Borosilicate posted:

Sprinkle mizithra cheese on it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there a Chrome extension that automatically allows the bare minimum required cookies whenever I visit a site? The websites make it so frustratingly tedious to only allow essential cookies, I'm getting fed up of doing it every time.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
There are some adblocker filters that try to get most of them but it's hard to block 100% of those dumb cookie popups.
Install Ublock Origin and enable the "EasyList Cookie" filter list.

Of course, plenty of websites still just kind of ignore the cookie consent thing and start serving you nonessential cookies even if you don't click accept. If you're concerned about that you can use an extension like Cookie AutoDelete which will automatically clear the cookies from any non-whitelisted site about 5 seconds after you close the tab. This does mean you have to manually add sites like SA to its whitelist to stay logged in though.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 16, 2022

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

There's an addon called I Don't Care About Cookies, but it just got bought up by some company which is rarely a good sign for browser addons.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

for fucks sake posted:

There's an addon called I Don't Care About Cookies, but it just got bought up by some company which is rarely a good sign for browser addons.

I've used this one before, it used to works like 50% of the time depending on the site of course. Had no idea they got bought out, that's not good.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Where is the Critterquest thread? We saw quite a large caterpillar today and I'd like to know what it is.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Whoops one sec

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Did Walmart do away with in-store pick-up for items not in stock? The only time I get the option is for tires, but not for anything else.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

hooah posted:

Where is the Critterquest thread? We saw quite a large caterpillar today and I'd like to know what it is.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3974602

(found by doing a google search for site:forums.somethingawful.com critterquest, finding the goldmined 2020 thread, looking at the last post to see the pointer to the new thread and seeing that it is the current thread)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
What's the best way to wash the ear pads on a set of headphones? Can I just chuck them in with the laundry?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

YggiDee posted:

What's the best way to wash the ear pads on a set of headphones? Can I just chuck them in with the laundry?
If you don't want to lose them you'd be well served by a delicates bag or something of that nature.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

So in a desperate attempt to bring my rapid health failure to a halt I’ve decided to go vegetarian.

Someone point me in the right direction to start, there’s too much information out there.

As someone who has made a few half-hearted attempts to eat less meat, here are two recipes that stuck for me:

http://goonswithspoons.com/Vegetable_Curry Is really yummy. I've had people ask me to make it for them again.

https://www.loveandlemons.com/easy-peanut-noodles/: we make this one with just regular spaghetti noodles. Tastes great even without the eggplant and we usually flavor the mushrooms with teriyaki (pre-cook them stir-fry style with teriyaki sauce). Don't skip out on the crushed peanuts and sesame seeds. We did that once, and regretted it - it benefits a lot from the extra crunch and texture. Feel free to substitute other texture sources. Shelled sunflower seeds are fine.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
A recent derail in the Tweets thread (about closed/open-casket funerals) got me thinking about something that I've been curious about for a while.

Does some perfume smell like straight-up formaldehyde to you?

Four years ago my Dad passed away and it's the only time in recent memory I've been to a funeral. The service was nice, of course the whole thing sucked but the thing that stuck with me most was the scent of the funeral home, of the preparation, which I assume must be formaldehyde. It had a vinegary smell but a lot more pungent than simple vinegar. And it lingered with me; I felt like I was still smelling it days later. Really unsettling stuff.

Since then, every once in a while someone will pass me drenched in some sort of perfume, and it brings back those unpleasant pungent memories because it smells exactly the same. Not even masked by anything pleasant like you'd expect a perfume to smell like, just straight-up formaldehyde.

I've mentioned this to some friends and they think I'm crazy. So a part of me feels like it might be some weird phenomenon like how certain people find the taste of cilantro revolting. Is this possible? Am I crazy? Or does some perfume legitimately just smell offensively terrible?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

Formaldehyde is one of those things that has a ton of industrial applications so I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up in cosmetics from time to time. Hell, your bed sheets probably have some formaldehyde in them.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

How sure are you that that smell was the formaldehyde? Seems like a funeral home may have been using perfume to cover it and other smells up.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Xenoborg posted:

How sure are you that that smell was the formaldehyde? Seems like a funeral home may have been using perfume to cover it and other smells up.

It's possible, but if so it was the worst perfume I've ever smelled. Absolutely nauseating, and like I said it seemed to stick in my sinuses for like a week afterwards. Of course maybe that's more about the trauma of burying a family member.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It seems surprisingly common for chinese chef's knives / caidao to be made with carbon steel instead of stainless. Not just cheap brands either.

The big obvious downside is that they can rust if they aren't cared for properly, but what are the advantages of carbon steel in a kitchen knife? What benefits does it bring vs stainless that make it worth the extra maintenance?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It seems surprisingly common for chinese chef's knives / caidao to be made with carbon steel instead of stainless. Not just cheap brands either.

The big obvious downside is that they can rust if they aren't cared for properly, but what are the advantages of carbon steel in a kitchen knife? What benefits does it bring vs stainless that make it worth the extra maintenance?

Stainless steel is harder to work with in manufacturing and hard to heat treat well. It’s possible to make a quality knife out of stainless steel, but it comes at a cost. That cost can be literal, or it can be reflected in properties like how well the knife holds an edge or how readily it chips or bends. Carbon steel also tends to be nicer to sharpen. That’s a subjective thing, but plenty of people will choose carbon steel for that reason.

For a case study, look at Chan Chi Kee’s KF1303 (carbon) and KF1912 (stainless). They have side profiles that are almost identical, but the KF1912 is significantly thicker. This isn’t a fluke. CCK has determined that, with the materials they use, they need thicker stainless steel to get satisfactory strength.

Some knife makers use a steel sandwich, with carbon steel in the center that is exposed at the cutting edge, protected by stainless on the flanks, yielding the benefits of both types of steel. This of course is the most expensive way to do things.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Sep 19, 2022

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Mister Speaker posted:

A recent derail in the Tweets thread (about closed/open-casket funerals) got me thinking about something that I've been curious about for a while.

Four years ago my Dad passed away and it's the only time in recent memory I've been to a funeral. The service was nice, of course the whole thing sucked but the thing that stuck with me most was the scent of the funeral home, of the preparation, which I assume must be formaldehyde. It had a vinegary smell but a lot more pungent than simple vinegar. And it lingered with me; I felt like I was still smelling it days later. Really unsettling stuff.

Since then, every once in a while someone will pass me drenched in some sort of perfume, and it brings back those unpleasant pungent memories because it smells exactly the same. Not even masked by anything pleasant like you'd expect a perfume to smell like, just straight-up formaldehyde.

I've mentioned this to some friends and they think I'm crazy. So a part of me feels like it might be some weird phenomenon like how certain people find the taste of cilantro revolting. Is this possible? Am I crazy? Or does some perfume legitimately just smell offensively terrible?

Some people smell certain scents very strongly while most people can hardly notice them. I’m one of those people, and all these particular scents are nasty as hell. It can be very confusing to smell something absolutely revolting that nobody else seems to notice.

This might ofcourse not be what’s going on with you at all..

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Where did the "[so and so] sucked me off!?" meme come from?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Where did the "[so and so] sucked me off!?" meme come from?

Apparently this tweet is the origin, making fun of youtuber clickbait titles:

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/uber-driver-sucked-me-off

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
How do I make twitter stop making me livid, while still keeping the networking aspect.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Boba Pearl posted:

How do I make twitter stop making me livid, while still keeping the networking aspect.

That’s on who you follow. Just unfollow those folks. I only use twitter to read sports tweets and cultivate who I follow well enough to basically only get that.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yea, curating your twitter feed takes a while to do, and is an ever-evolving thing. but once it's like 90% of the way there, twitter's pretty great. a good trick is to go to the few users who you really like, then following who they follow. you'll find some gems by doing this.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And if you don’t want a professional contact to know you unfollowed them then just mute them. You’ll still get notified if they @ you.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

If you must keep some of the rage inducing part put it in a list and only check that list at set times in short chunks to limit your exposure to idiocy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Also mute words and hashtags liberally.