Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's only been a day since I ran out of currency, maybe if this goes pozzy I will count it as part of the initial campaign lol
Event #23

https://www.17lands.com/draft/03684c2a0fee4bb2bdefb681acd0f2d6
I first picked Archangel of Wrath but it felt like I got cut out of white. I got enough good cards fed to me that I thought I could stick around, but those were mainly Destroy Evils which are still underrated by drafters? Do I really leave Archangel in the sideboard and play UR lol

I think this was the hardest decision in the draft? I ended up taking Battle Hymn but maybe the Amplifier would have been good, I was already light on creature threats (for a normal archetype, maybe in UR spells it's deece?)

Edit: -1 Thran Portal, +1 Furious Bellow. I kept the portal in thinking of Firebrand upside but thats pie in the sky thinking

Archangel is at its best as base white that can splash for the kicker colors if they aren’t the secondary color. Your deck isn’t gonna maximize it in any set of circumstances and it’s a double white card. It’s tough to leave it in the board, I totally get that with a card this powerful, but this deck can’t fit it in here. If there was gonna be a time to make it work it was somewhere in the draft (I haven’t looked at it at all). Hymn over amplifier for me, your deck at the time was more hurting for interaction than creatures, so there’s no way I’d pass up one of the best removal spells in the format that also looks to be entirely on color

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah that makes sense, reviewing the draft I probably could have filled in with some other good white cards (Knight of Dawn's Light, Heroic Charge) and some real bad filler (Juniper, Faithbonder) but I don't know if that would have put me ahead strength-wise.

Off to a decent start but I feel like the first win is a gimme these days and doesn't tell me anything lol

Edit: thought I punted this game away by not pumping Firebrand ahead of blockers and just trading with a Charismatic, but I lucked out and impulsed into impulse into flowstone lol

"your mistake was to underestimate my power"

edit: one mana terror

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 18, 2022

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I bothered playing out my fifteen today because I was enjoying several brawl decks with commanders from the new set (they made some fun cheap buildarounds, I like it) and I got like 3 or 4 uncommon ICRs randomly upgrades. Feels good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lmao sam black just lost a sealed game to Braids because they sacced all their lands and Sam ended up with 0 lands and couldn't avoid the life loss... what a game

(The opponent missed saccing their own liliana to kill him a few turns earlier)

wei
Jul 27, 2006

It took a bit of luck but I'm happy with how I played. Pool had some good cards but only 3 duals. Still not confident with the final build but I'll save that brain power for tomorrow.

https://sealeddeck.tech/9kts1wurXr empty deck if you want to try building it
https://sealeddeck.tech/jqUMDyR46L mostly what I ran, made changes throughout

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Great work to everyone helping out those of us trying to improve our draft event performance lately!

Draft: https://www.17lands.com/draft/0a713ad6676b41cc9212a1fce8591584
P1P2 - I know Espionage is the stronger card but I've seen so many wheel recently I felt I had a better chance securing it than Frostfist Strider
P1P4 - Debated between Lightning Strike and Geyser, I figured I'm likely at last splashing red based on Vodalian Mindsinger but Geyser was probably still the pick.
P1P7 - Figured land for Mindsinger kicker over Espionage which I felt I'd see again later in the draft. Maybe Keldon Strike Team but I feel like I want to be Boros Aggro to really leverage that.
P1P8 - Late Take Up Shield, took as a flyer in case white was open.
P1P9 - Figured Impulse and Destroy Evil around on par so go with one in my colours.
P1P12 - Was tempted to take a flyer on Charge but thought having fixing for Mindsinger and whatever else might be better.

P2P1 - I was swayed by the rare, Temporal Firestorm grades well but I think UR spells seems more aggro and less likely to leverage it well. Maybe Balduvian Besrserker, Ghitu Ampilifier, or Talas Lookout were better choices? Argivian Cavalier in case white is open?
P2P3 - Maybe Cleaving Skyrider? Doesn't grade well and seems pretty clear I'm UR at this point.

P3P2 - Thought this was a good pick up for Mindsinger kicker but maybe Strider?
P3P4 - Land or Picker over Amplifier? Seemed like we're UR spells aggro
P3P12 - Probably Picker over Strike Team but doubt I'm playing any of them

Pool: https://sealeddeck.tech/17lands/pool/0a713ad6676b41cc9212a1fce8591584
I'm thinking I'm full aggro so maybe cut Firestorm for Thrill of Possibility and go to 16 lands?

One other question I had was regarding saving up packs and set completion. My understanding is that the optimal approach is to save up until you have more packs than you do rares left to collect given some of the packs you open will be mythics or wildcards. I'm quickly running out of resources to draft the set and there is some temptation to crack the packs in the hope that I open some of the cards I want for constructed to save wildcards. Wondering if I'm better served being patient, playing cheaper decks and doing Jump In or whatever for dailies for now.

Levin fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 18, 2022

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Levin posted:

Pool: https://sealeddeck.tech/17lands/pool/0a713ad6676b41cc9212a1fce8591584
I'm thinking I'm full aggro so maybe cut Firestorm for Thrill of Possibility and go to 16 lands?

Your deck is 42 cards right now so that's your first problem.
Both the 5 drops in your sideboard are better than Najal.
Your assessment on Firestorm is correct.
Do NOT go to 16 lands in a deck that has this many 5 drops and wants to be double spelling. I'm counting Mindsinger and a non-zero amount of Ghitu Amplifiers as 5s.
Grotto sucks here big time, it's application is best when you have a lot of important off-colour kickers in a deck that's going long and can afford to spend extra mana.
Essence Scatter is in a weird place in a deck like this because Amplifier wants your spells to be played on your turn to deal damage. Conversly, it's still a really good card and you have other instants to play if they pass the turn and you don't have to waste your mana. I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to cut them.
Librarians are your lowest impact creatures and we're still looking for cuts at this point. The deck smoothing off the scry is nice for this deck to keep finding more action since if you flood you're kinda honked. Too bad you didn't have those Phyrexian Espionages you refused to take.
Here's the build I'd play. https://sealeddeck.tech/ft8jAmBg9I

quote:

One other question I had was regarding saving up packs and set completion. My understanding is that the optimal approach is to save up until you have more packs than you do rares left to collect given some of the packs you open will be mythics or wildcards. I'm quickly running out of resources to draft the set and there is some temptation to crack the packs in the hope that I open some of the cards I want for constructed to save wildcards. Wondering if I'm better served being patient, playing cheaper decks and doing Jump In or whatever for dailies for now.

The "save packs til you can open them all" strategy only works if you're actually generating enough packs to get all the rares at the end, AND if you're doing drafts to get completion. The whole point of waiting is so that you don't "waste rares" by drafting a rare you already have 4x of. If you don't plan on getting all your packs via drafting, then just crack them.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Lone Goat posted:

Librarians are your lowest impact creatures and we're still looking for cuts at this point. The deck smoothing off the scry is nice for this deck to keep finding more action since if you flood you're kinda honked. Too bad you didn't have those Phyrexian Espionages you refused to take.

Thank you for all the helpful input, definitely would have been nice to have those Espionages but guess I had to learn the hard way.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I think I’ve soured on the limited format a bit. If it was free, I’d jam it all day, but it isn’t and it’s a very challenging format. It feels like the draft experience has a touch too many avenues, and the game states are also often wildly challenging. Most of the best matches involve both decks doing their thing to a more or less standstill, and whoever draws the more decisive 2 for 1 will take it. Or, they always 100% of the time have the blow-out shore up. Jesus Christ i hate that card. I’m happy I made it to diamond, but pushing to mythic would take a really lucky streak.

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 18, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's only been a day since I ran out of currency, maybe if this goes pozzy I will count it as part of the initial campaign lol
Event #23

https://www.17lands.com/draft/03684c2a0fee4bb2bdefb681acd0f2d6
I first picked Archangel of Wrath but it felt like I got cut out of white. I got enough good cards fed to me that I thought I could stick around, but those were mainly Destroy Evils which are still underrated by drafters? Do I really leave Archangel in the sideboard and play UR lol

I think this was the hardest decision in the draft? I ended up taking Battle Hymn but maybe the Amplifier would have been good, I was already light on creature threats (for a normal archetype, maybe in UR spells it's deece?)

Edit: -1 Thran Portal, +1 Furious Bellow. I kept the portal in thinking of Firebrand upside but thats pie in the sky thinking

"the fuel in my fire won't run dry"

This deck absolutely steamrolled (and is, I believe, my first undefeated deck recorded on 17lands lol). I think I see the deficiencies in how I drafted UR spells before, I think. I didn't miss having "spells matter" creatures like Infantry or Amplifier (though I would have been fine playing them) as long I had Balmor -- and what matters then is a critical mass of cheap cantrips. Lots of wins were impulse into impulse into removal spell. Squee paired extremely well with Balmor, more than Infantry or Amplifier would have for sure. Essence Scatter/Impulse pairing worked slightly less well than in UB since I wanted to cast spells on my turn, but multiple draw spells meant sometimes I could burn an Impulse on the opponent's turn without losing too much damage since I'd usually be able to trade it for an interactive spell to cast on my turn.

I guess I'm still in it lol

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

So which one of you do I give my account info to so I can actually win drafts? Because I have no idea what's a good pick in Dom U and I just went 0-3, all 3 matches were against Boros Enlist gimmicks. Didn't keep a log of my current set but trust me it was clearly poo poo.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Horace Kinch posted:

So which one of you do I give my account info to so I can actually win drafts? Because I have no idea what's a good pick in Dom U and I just went 0-3, all 3 matches were against Boros Enlist gimmicks. Didn't keep a log of my current set but trust me it was clearly poo poo.
You go on the Discord (link in op) and stream drafts for us where we yell at you to pick our favorite cards and you get a mediocre deck

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Is there a way to buy the Rebecca Guay basic lands? They're not in the store, and I missed whatever event you could win them in.

Other, totally unrelated question: Anyone know whether it's better to play Restoration of Eiganjo or Wedding Invitation on turn 3? I have 4 of each, I'll play the Restoration if I need the fourth land next turn, but in some situations it's really not obvious which is better.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Just got paired in a dominaria united draft against a top 500 ranked mythic player (I'm in plat 3) and blew them out. Feels good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hmm I don't know if it's just from rank up or the meta is shifting but the Boros Angels are facing adversity lol... when I was facing mainly mono-B decks I was at 65% WR but that has been steadily eroded, especially now that I'm seeing a Temur Ramp deck repeatedly (did a streamer do this)

Multiple layers of enchantment hate, and Titan of Industry / Hullbreaker Horror / Burn Down the House are all positioned to eat my lunch lol

Edit: maybe Hullbreaker was an innovation or in another deck, this looks like the list people are using

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf3XHWSCIUg

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 18, 2022

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Chamale posted:

Is there a way to buy the Rebecca Guay basic lands? They're not in the store, and I missed whatever event you could win them in.

Other, totally unrelated question: Anyone know whether it's better to play Restoration of Eiganjo or Wedding Invitation on turn 3? I have 4 of each, I'll play the Restoration if I need the fourth land next turn, but in some situations it's really not obvious which is better.

Unless you need to find land i'd be surprised if announcement isn't the preference, but it will depend at least partly on what your opponent is playing.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Chamale posted:

I usually go Invitation first unless I really need to get slightly ahead on mana or I chumped with a Spirited Companion/Ambitious Farmhand.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Just trophied my 2nd ever DMU draft in Bo3 with this monster

https://www.17lands.com/details/c70dfc54bcf84e178c5bc5c88a1b8b0f

Tatyova is gross, especially with Rulik Mons. Just swinging with a bunch of 3/3s and get another free 3/3? don't mind if I do!

Someone saved me by casting Take Up the Shield on the creature my Ivy was blocking, so Ivy also got to live, and gave me a VERY important 3 life.

I punted game 1 by accidentally choosing 2 creatures for Threats Undetected, then shame conceded. There probably should be an "are you sure" for us less smart people. Didn't end up mattering though.

Never lived the dream of copying Combat Research on Ivy, but it was pretty useful whenever it showed up. It was good on Figment, and REALLY good on Nael. I got to cast Herd Migration twice and it was everything I dreamed it would be, a pile of 3/3s.

Going for lethal, and casting Colossal Growth after blockers feels so good, especially when Ivy copies it, AND you have an Electrostatic Infantry on board.

Somehow never got mana screwed, which is cool. I kept a lot of opening hands with lots of lands and no plays before turn 3. A lot of times, my opponent played a tap land and a 2/2 for 2, or 2 tap lands.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Super free trophy - Wingmantle Chaplain is great; two of them with a few extra walls is broken. Only loss was to a turn 6 Herd Migration with 4 domain. Never got to live the dream of Chaplain/bounce/replay Chaplain, but it wasn't exactly necessary.

A Moose posted:

I punted game 1 by accidentally choosing 2 creatures for Threats Undetected, then shame conceded. There probably should be an "are you sure" for us less smart people. Didn't end up mattering though.

You are just balancing the scales for those of us who've had it cast against us and selected the two worst creatures thinking they'd be the ones that'd get kept. Gave my opponent two ridiculous bombs instead and lost that game pretty handily.

Death of Rats fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 18, 2022

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

man the itnerface goes fucky when you choose not to copy a spell with Ivy.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

A Moose posted:

Hello friend you are me

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I've definitely had some RTFC errors this set. Nowhere near as many as NEO though.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Just played a draft match against an opponent who managed to live the dream with Jodah + a team of legends. Wiped my board with drag to the bottom and then started going off lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
jund still fun

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Add another one to the "I don't understand this format" pile, though from the positive side this time. I thought this draft's curve was too high to make the aggro plan work and too weak on bombs to go late, but either I'm dead wrong about the format or variance was my guardian angel. :psyduck:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Going into pack 3 I had no idea what this deck was trying to do, then got passed chaplain p3p3 and herd migration p3p6, and that lead to an easy trophy. Karn's Sylex may be my favorite turn 3 play in the format. Being able to drop it early against more aggressive decks while I'm playing some taplands and then just wait was a real strategy in multiple games. Also I got to live the dream once of crewing Argosy with Chaplain, 2x Vinewall, and a Coral Colony (and the Outrider). I need to stop drafting Soul of Windgrace though that thing never ever performs like I hope it would.

Really have been loving this format. If you don't open anything to pull you in a particular direction you can be greatly rewarded by making sure to stay open and knowing when you aren't getting the things you need.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Anybody has suggestions on this deck https://www.17lands.com/deck/6c3d1cfdbdc34e158d5c77e0c3bbf81c - do I need another two-drop? Could cut Necromass or one of the 4s maybe. I've never seen Stroonghold Arena played so I'm assuming it's not very good and too slow.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

elbkaida posted:

Anybody has suggestions on this deck https://www.17lands.com/deck/6c3d1cfdbdc34e158d5c77e0c3bbf81c - do I need another two-drop? Could cut Necromass or one of the 4s maybe. I've never seen Stroonghold Arena played so I'm assuming it's not very good and too slow.

I'm 5-2 right now on a u/b deck with stronghold arena and it's pretty great if you get out the gate quickly with a battlefly or the menace knight. Codex would likely be better when you can hit 4/5 domain though. Thran portal is probably worth it in order to hit all your splashes, you have a bunch that wants white.

I'd cut the blue down a bit (5 blue cards off 4 sources), maybe ditch espionage and coral colony and pick up a different 2 drop. 2 Warhorse might be a bit too much. War-Leech is worth playing in this deck, it's gonna be a 4 mana 8/8 or 7/7 pretty regularly. Sad there's no Urborg Repossesion, but Soultender should be good enough.

I think -colony, -espionage -warhorse, +leech +vivisector + and either Codex or Arena.

Shabadu fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 19, 2022

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

elbkaida posted:

Yeah, I'd agree you're spread a little too thin on colours, and leaving Stronghold Arena in the board is probably a mistake.

I'd be inclined to cut some blue and put back some black given how much you're splashing white, but equally a lot of your fixing is for blue/white so...

It's a tough choice.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Stronghold Arena fuckin sucks lol

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Several people in the Discord channel helped me make this busted BO3 deck, encouraging me to not mythic-draft in pack 3 pick 1 and instead go for the highest winrate card in the entire set.

Match 1 and match 3 were entirely gimmes, but match 2 game 3 was a nailbiter that came down to the topdeck for lethal!
https://www.17lands.com/draft/b2d0924165654f6eb9c1fbfdf69a0458

EDIT: And the Discord goon crew asked me if I Golden Argosy'd a Wingmantle Chaplain alongside a 1-power creature to make it ETB again and make more birds. I... actually didn't think about it because I thought crew needed creatures with actual power to be tapped! I did Argosy a Shield-Wall Sentinel for extra value once though!

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 19, 2022

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Olive Branch posted:

the highest winrate card in the entire set.

I don't see Sheoldred or Archangel of Wrath

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

goodness posted:

Good point, good point, let me amend that to "highest winrate card that isn't rare/mythic in the entire set."

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

elbkaida posted:

+Monstrous War Leech
+Vivisector
+ Island
-Coral Colony
-Elas
-Plains

If you're worried about 2 drops, Elas is not going to solve that problem as a result of being a splash color. a second vivisector is much more likely to come down on curve. Also, you don't really want your stuff to die to fill your yard, you want to do it with your soultender, uurg, and monstrous war leech. I don't know that I'd play Espionage here, and honestly I might swap it out with Soaring Drake, but that may just come down to personal preference. Tolarian Geyser is fine without the kicker, warhorse less so but still playable. You want to make sure you maximize your chances of having blue early for essence scatter and aether channeler. You are correct Stronghold Arena is bad, and especially in this deck where you could surprise take 8.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Got bored of Explorer's midrange hell now I'm going Goblin Mode in Historic

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

thespaceinvader posted:

man the itnerface goes fucky when you choose not to copy a spell with Ivy.

I was just playing in Standard Brawl as my boy Zur and someone accidentally copied their Witness Protection and turned my Zur and their Ivy into legitimate businesspeople then proceeded to lose because of it.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

goodness posted:

Okay, how about this?

(A second trophy in BO3 with the Discord channel's help, draft is here: https://www.17lands.com/draft/3dd4537e63c1418ca8c5ca432e22b7dd

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

They might be ready for the first Emperor or even the second, but the third?

I still like this deck even though its efficacy has waned a bit. Fringe benefit of cycling or channeling lands and then getting to play them with Paragon is nice

Edit: Another fun out for this deck... I can't believe I managed to beat control and 5 sweepers by repeatedly channeling Touch the Spirit Realm

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 20, 2022

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Similar to how Snakeskin Veil was mandatory in all my green decks (now replaced with Tamiyo's Safekeeping) I always always always keep Wandering Emperor on hand when I have white in my deck. She's just too good not to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Olive Branch posted:

Okay, how about this?

(A second trophy in BO3 with the Discord channel's help, draft is here: https://www.17lands.com/draft/3dd4537e63c1418ca8c5ca432e22b7dd

This nice. I haven't got a Sheoldred yet but only done a few drafts. She seems like an autowin if you get it on the field.