Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
clap harder or tinkerbell dies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

buglord posted:

Will be very cool if it doesn’t jump up to 19-20 by the time I wake up tomorrow. I’ll be back in 9 hours.

Ugh.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Your daily reminder for why crypto prices move up and down (graph from this morning)

its all vibes (and the fed)

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

drk posted:

Your daily reminder for why crypto prices move up and down (graph from this morning)

inflation hedge
currency
store of value

I got nothing.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Buy the Dow dip

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

drk posted:

I get what you're saying and broadly agree, but the scaling on that graph is screwy and paints the coins in a way better light then they actually are.

The bitcoin range is ~15,000 - ~73,000
The Nasdaq 100 range is ~11,000 - ~17,000
The Etherium range is 0 - 5,000

Proportionally, far more of the price range of the coins is present in that graph than the Nasdaq 100 E-Mini.

So while they're all moving roughly together in response to the same market forces, the Nasdaq swings are magnified by zooming in the y axis like that, and the BTC too to a certain extent. For example, the big June 2022 dip where they all drop about the same amount on that graph shows the Nasdaq 100 going from ~12750 or so down to ~11500, for about a 9% drop. Etherium in the same time went from ~1750 down to ~1100, a ~37% drop. Bitcoin goes from ~30,000 to ~19,000, also about a 36% drop.

The butts did worse, and if someone hypothetically bought all of those at the May 2022 high point and sold at the June 2022 low point the people in the NASDAQ come out significantly ahead.

It really, really can't be over-stated just how loving volatile these coins are.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
The triple axis is a bit tortured - the point is, the directionality of risk assets is pretty highly correlated recently. Prices appear to be almost entirely driven by overall market sentiment, not any specific events in the cryptospace.

I agree the chart might suggest "oh, crypto does about as well as stocks", which is definitely not true.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
yeah it does worse than stonks.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
It's me; I'm the currency (of the future) that can fluctuate over $1100 in value in 4 hours. Few understand how helpful this is.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I think I mostly understand this stuff now, after fighting through the "too stupid" parts. But I have a question.

The Ethereum miners have to stop, because that's not a thing anymore. Some then say they'll move to mining other coins. But no, someone else says, that's not profitable because those are useless shitcoins. So it costs too much to mine them.

I'm sure this is true, but how do those coins come into existence then?

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Proof of work is stupid - the amount of coins generated is fixed per amount of time. The amount of people mining it has absolutely nothing to do with how many coins are printed.

This is why its not profitable - unlike things in the ground, more "mining" doesnt get you more product.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Bobstar posted:

I think I mostly understand this stuff now, after fighting through the "too stupid" parts. But I have a question.

The Ethereum miners have to stop, because that's not a thing anymore. Some then say they'll move to mining other coins. But no, someone else says, that's not profitable because those are useless shitcoins. So it costs too much to mine them.

Some people mine them anyway in the speculative hope that they will one day be worth something, without realizing it would literally cost them less money to just buy them instead. But I think most of the miners of those coins are in countries with very weak economies and relatively cheap electricity, and it is actually profitable for them if they mine a few coins worth a few USD cents each.

I'm not sure about mining but back in 2020 Ethiopia launched a big initiative to digitize the country, part of that was an identification card system that was built on a blockchain (Cardano). Does anyone know how that's going? It sounded like it was actually a decent use case of the technology but lol, I can't imagine it's going well these days.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 19, 2022

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Don’t forget people who aren’t paying for their own electricity. A couple of years ago you’d see a ton of stories about universities having to crack down on students mining crypto in their dorm rooms. It was “””free””” money for the students but really it was a transfer from the university to them, less whatever portion of the housing costs they/their parents were paying was earmarked for utilities.

See also all the various Reddit posts that show up in the BWM and r/relationships threads that tldr down to “I’m sharing a house with four other people, we split the utilities four ways, and now they’re pissed that I’m blasting a stack of 3090s 24/7”

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
Why can't miners make their own pow shitcoin if that's all they want?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

pofcorn posted:

Why can't miners make their own pow shitcoin if that's all they want?

Plenty of them have. They’re just loving worthless compared to any of the coins people actually want to speculate with.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
they might, yet. but it's very difficult to launch a coin to the point it makes economic sense to mine it, because right now there's a gigantic pool of miners who will happily jump on anything profitable until it isn't, that's the problem.

launching the coin is trivial and afaik still happens all the time. you need to convince someone else to buy the coins you mine for more than the cost of electricity. that's nontrivially difficult, other PoW coins absolutely could not have started in these conditions and instead started when mining difficulty was basically zero.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

PITY BONER posted:

It's me; I'm the currency (of the future) that can fluctuate over $1100 in value in 4 hours. Few understand how helpful this is.

Obviously this is a store of value. It's worth 18000 19000 17000! Can't go wrong!

Also as early as today I think I read here or elsewhere that the new ethW (proof of work mineable) already had an exploit.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
The most interesting thing about ethW is not that it was hacked (of course it was), but that it has a non-zero value: currently a little under $6.

Under US tax law, forks like this are treated as airdrops. That is to say, when the chains split and ETH holders got ETH (on the main PoS fork) and an equal amount of ethW of the new PoW fork - the entire new amount is immediately taxable as income. So, if you had say, 1000ETH, you'd have a tax bill on approximately $50,000 of ethW income because trading on ethW opened around $50. This tax applies even if you never access the coins.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
wait, doesn't that mean you could do like, hostile tax attacks on other people you knew who owned crypto by doing a fork and somehow ensuring that fork had value. that seems pretty cyberpunk.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

CoolCab posted:

wait, doesn't that mean you could do like, hostile tax attacks on other people you knew who owned crypto by doing a fork and somehow ensuring that fork had value. that seems pretty cyberpunk.

Yes, yes it does. I suspect enforcement of the rule is almost as non-existant as voluntary compliance with it is though

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Cyrano4747 posted:

Don’t forget people who aren’t paying for their own electricity. A couple of years ago you’d see a ton of stories about universities having to crack down on students mining crypto in their dorm rooms. It was “””free””” money for the students but really it was a transfer from the university to them, less whatever portion of the housing costs they/their parents were paying was earmarked for utilities.

See also all the various Reddit posts that show up in the BWM and r/relationships threads that tldr down to “I’m sharing a house with four other people, we split the utilities four ways, and now they’re pissed that I’m blasting a stack of 3090s 24/7”

This is the big trick that PoW was on the verge of pulling off in a major way- getting the state to directly and deliberately pay for the electricity is the wet dream of coin miners and, in many ways, the ultimate version of the grift, in that rather than robbing individual people you're legally skimming off the collective purse. Never forget that the ultimate goal of most of these things is to get at public money.

PoW also has the benefit of setting up a big roaring potemkin factory that you can gesture at if an investor asks where their money is; Proof of Stake is far more tied to bank balances than it is to any visible or audible pretend-productivity. This is where we get the whole "Ted Cruz walking around the crypto facility with a hard hat" photoshoot.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Oh yes it's dimly coming back now. They're not making the coins, they're fighting like rats in a sack to be awarded the coins that would get made anyway.

Thanks, I'll file this in the "lol crypto" part of my brain for later

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Bobstar posted:

Those shitcoins could have been profitable to mine so long as there were just a few miners. With a small number of miners, coins are easy to mine, so it doesn't take much electricity to make the coin. There also aren't that many people interested in the coin, but the prices are low so they're able to buy up the supply.

Then the merge happens and all these ETH miners hop onto the shitcoins. The first thing that happens is the rate at which coins are mined suddenly shoots up. And all those new coins are up for sale because the miners are only interested in the profit. Since the number of buyers didn't really change much the price crashes and it becomes unprofitable. The other thing that will happen is the difficulty adjustment. I don't know how often these shitcoins adjust their difficulty, but if the new miners stick around then the difficulty will increase and the rate of new coins being produced will drop. But they'll take more electricity to mine. So there's a double whammy of crashing prices and increasing difficulty.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

HappyHippo posted:

Those shitcoins could have been profitable to mine so long as there were just a few miners. With a small number of miners, coins are easy to mine, so it doesn't take much electricity to make the coin. There also aren't that many people interested in the coin, but the prices are low so they're able to buy up the supply.

Then the merge happens and all these ETH miners hop onto the shitcoins. The first thing that happens is the rate at which coins are mined suddenly shoots up. And all those new coins are up for sale because the miners are only interested in the profit. Since the number of buyers didn't really change much the price crashes and it becomes unprofitable. The other thing that will happen is the difficulty adjustment. I don't know how often these shitcoins adjust their difficulty, but if the new miners stick around then the difficulty will increase and the rate of new coins being produced will drop. But they'll take more electricity to mine. So there's a double whammy of crashing prices and increasing difficulty.

Frisbees going roofward all over the cryptoverse

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

CoolCab posted:

Yes, people do this. And this is how they can mark you a terrorist and money launderer sending you money from tornadocash.

It's the magic of crypto and consent, because you can't refuse coins and wallet addresses are public. So by definition:

Blockchain: we didn't build consent into the wallet.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

HappyHippo posted:

I'ts like a massive game of Chicken, but where there are no real stakes. Everyone's waiting for everyone else to blink, but there's no big downside to not blinking.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 19, 2022

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

nachos posted:

the only thing missing is the step where you zoom in and out of the chart until the pattern matches the one you're looking for

Excuse me, you mean "proprietary opportunity window optimization analytics."

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

chadbear posted:

The Bitcoin Rainbow Chart added a category below Basically A Fire Sale and it's called 1BTC = 1BTC. I wonder what they'll call the next category :lmao:

https://www.blockchaincenter.net/en/bitcoin-rainbow-chart/

What in the ever loving gently caress is that scaling on the Y axis?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

tehinternet posted:

I haven't looked at the chart but I'm guessing logarithmic because coiners love logs.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
dunno how many layers of irony that chart's on but I'm the January 2023 "Still Cheap" $50,000 projection

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

an actual frog posted:

dunno how many layers of irony that chart's on but I'm the January 2023 "Still Cheap" $50,000 projection

It’s several layers deep when crypto is down. Any other time it’s in euphoric “to the moon” and “have fun staying poor” territory

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

I haven't looked at the chart but I'm guessing logarithmic because coiners love logs.

Correct

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Clockwerk posted:

It’s several layers deep when crypto is down. Any other time it’s in euphoric “to the moon” and “have fun staying poor” territory

Ah, so crypto currency is basically untreated bipolar.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

tango alpha delta posted:

Ah, so crypto currency is basically untreated bipolar.

LMAO. You could say that yeah.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Just as a pro-tip and a general life hack: if you marry into money, don't invest your newly acquired assets into crypto

That's all!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

it's basically one of the stages of grief for buttcoiners when the line went down earlier this year

stage 1: motivational quotes and how crypto is actually good

stage 2: "throughout the last year i have learned so much so much, a lot of personal growth"

stage 3: utter silence

stage 4: "my lawyers have advised me to delete my social media account. I will now post all the details of my divorce"

stage 5: ???

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

it's basically one of the stages of grief for buttcoiners when the line went down earlier this year

stage 1: motivational quotes and how crypto is actually good

stage 2: "throughout the last year i have learned so much so much, a lot of personal growth"

stage 3: utter silence

stage 4: "my lawyers have advised me to delete my social media account. I will now post all the details of my divorce"

stage 5: ???

I've started to hear people slightly fearful after this:

https://twitter.com/tier10k/status/1571864523195416579

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
https://twitter.com/The_Real_Fly/status/1572099683765424130?s=20&t=dXfq4EcHX2rZXuKbd7t7Xg
Uh, ooooh! Institutional clients are starting to embrace the FUD! Queue the Ron-Paul-it's-Happening.GIF?

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

tehinternet posted:

It's a log axis. In the link there's the explanation that it's modeled after some buttcoin guy fitting a logarithmic curve to BTC price in 2014.

I'm the predicted BTC price of 209599 dollars at the end of 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

chadbear posted:

It's a log axis. In the link there's the explanation that it's modeled after some buttcoin guy fitting a logarithmic curve to BTC price in 2014.

I'm the predicted BTC price of 209599 dollars at the end of 2022

Not even within an order of magnitude