Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Do ground cherries benefit from support? I have had some success with ground cherries and tomatillos this year, but all of em have some of the worst stems I've ever seen. Just weak as heck, ready to break or lay on the ground at the slightest provocation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Motronic posted:

OMG you put your seeds in upside down!
Hey, you can do that with allium starts.

Corla Plankun posted:

Do ground cherries benefit from support? I have had some success with ground cherries and tomatillos this year, but all of em have some of the worst stems I've ever seen. Just weak as heck, ready to break or lay on the ground at the slightest provocation.
Really depends on the cultivar. I've got some strain of very tart ground cherries that have self-propagated themselves for years that have a very upright habit and never need or want any support. But I tried a couple of other varieties that are supposed to have better yields this year, and they're a lot more floppy and sprawling and they all ended up looking like creeping vines like sweet potatoes or gourds if they didn't have something nearby to glom onto.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

That Old Ganon posted:

Is it possible for something to sprout upside-down and have the root end come up to the surface? And is it directly my fault?

Mostly they'll just self-correct because plant growth is gravitropic. Even most bulbs can self-right.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Does anybody have a product that works on stink bugs? They made it to my pepper bed. :negative:

Bonus pic of some peppers off of my MA Purple plant:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Tremors posted:

Does anybody have a product that works on stink bugs?
Your hand, followed by your foot. Unfortunately neem oil and other common garden sprays don't reliably work on stink bugs. Some people say using diluted soap spray works, but that's always just got me shiny stink bugs. Might depend on the species.

Unrelated to that, I think I might lose most of my Sichuan peppercorn harvest this season. Looks like the plants didn't react well to over a week of 100-110 F temperatures and they did something I haven't seen 'em do before.

Normally the drupes form fairly early, in Spring, and then they sit there growing slowly, green, for a couple months until they start turning colour at the end of Summer and into Fall. They eventually turn a deep maroon colour, at which point they start to split open, revealing the light inner flesh and the shiny black seed. Somewhere in there you harvest them, earlier if you're doing it commercially and whenever's convenient if you're just growing them in the back yard.

Anyway, nearly all of the fruit have decided, in the past 24 hours, to split open, regardless of the state of ripeness. The plants themselves seem fine, some of the leaves are a little wilty and one of 'em has a couple that've turned brown, but nothing that looks like it's a problem with the overall health of the plant. And the peppercorns are usable at any stage of ripeness. But yeah. New one on me.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I hope my peppercorn tree gives me some fruit next year

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I got about a dozen berries this first full year, they started turning red last week, and I expect they値l take another 2 to be ripe and open. Depends entirely on the weather I知 sure. I also plan to prune during the dormant season this winter, so hopefully I can coax them into a shrub with plenty of branches and not just a bunch of single branches and no secondary branches.

They seem to really like the partial shade they get, so I知 expecting them to really fill out the corner in the next three years. I値l just need to remember to fertilize again. I expect if I do, they値l fill out nicely.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I've always found stinkbugs in trailers, I thought they mostly ate cellulose/wood. I've seen a few of them around the plots but I don't think I've ever seen them cause a lot of damage.

Any kind of pyrethrin will smoke them quickly if needed. You should be able to find a reasonable permethrin or tetramethrin option pretty readily.

Normally to keep things granola I'd recommend spinosad but it's not going to be effective. To be really effective it will need a surfactant or strong isopropyl base to account for the shell.

Motronic normally Kramers into the chat when bugs are discussed, my experience is more on the repellent side than the killing things dead side.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
are sichuan peppercorns dioecious? some of the internet says i'd need a male and a female

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

the milk machine posted:

are sichuan peppercorns dioecious? some of the internet says i'd need a male and a female

Yes, you'd need them both for them to be capable of producing seed that can sprout new shrubs. The flowers themselves on the female plants are monoecious, and can reportedly produce the berries without creating a viable seed. And sprouting seeds isn't really the best method for making more plants anyway. Taking cuttings seems to be the most consistent method.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Yeah, I only had the one plant for several years and it consistently produced peppercorns. I'm highly confident none of my nearest neighbors have a peppercorn plant, but I don't know if Z. simulans'll cross with something else to produce.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Any reccomendations for a landscaping mapping tool? I've got a lot of different plants on different elevations in my new home that I'd like a way to map out, keep track of, and ideally have some form of calendar task notification system if possible.

I also need to find where all the irrigation systems are and plan out retrofitting drip system into them and expanding it to new areas.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

mischief posted:

I've always found stinkbugs in trailers, I thought they mostly ate cellulose/wood. I've seen a few of them around the plots but I don't think I've ever seen them cause a lot of damage.

Any kind of pyrethrin will smoke them quickly if needed. You should be able to find a reasonable permethrin or tetramethrin option pretty readily.

Normally to keep things granola I'd recommend spinosad but it's not going to be effective. To be really effective it will need a surfactant or strong isopropyl base to account for the shell.

Motronic normally Kramers into the chat when bugs are discussed, my experience is more on the repellent side than the killing things dead side.

Stinkbugs (assuming the common name means the same to you as it does to me) are hemipterans (true bugs). All true bugs have sucking mouthparts, whether used on plant juices or animal juices they all suck. So they wouldn't be eating cellulose, they probably just got stuck inside the trailers.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

We had four deer and two squirrels in our raised bed yesterday. Cheeky little bastards.

Successfully transplanted a whole mess of raspberry canes from my mother in law's much nicer garden, hopefully those will be nice next summer, provided the groundhog doesn't push them over. Stupid wealth of natural resources and wildlife, screwing up my garden plans.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Growing a habanero and I'm shocked how low and horizontal it's grown while just getting bigger and bigger. Really pleased with it. Is this normal?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I've had plenty of low and dense habs in the past, seems like all the peppers are a little different. I've always run them up string trellises as well as I could but even then sometimes you just get stumpy plants.

It should be just exploding at that point, as long as you're getting a boatload of peppers off of it all is well. They're very hardy and prolific once they get to that stage, right up until the first frost.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Two years ago there was a huge grasshopper eating my beans. It was really beautiful and I was like, "well, I have a lot of beans" for a few days but eventually I convinced it to leave by hitting it with a stick. Didn't kill it, but I felt a little bad because I clearly broke one of its legs.

This year at least one of the things is back and it has torn my bean plants the gently caress up. It chews indiscriminately, by which I mean sometimes it eats leaves and sometimes it just chews through the vines. In the latter case, that means that whole sections of the plants wither and die. At this point it's managed to kill 60% of the foliage and the truly infuriating thing is that I cannot find the motherfucker and it's been 2 weeks.

I have said things out loud in my back yard that I hope my neighbors have not heard, or if they have, that they know I'm talking about a bug and not a person.

I try not to use any insecticide because I've had better luck just removing pests by hand or with a hose when they get bad, spraying limited amounts of neem oil, and letting predators get the rest (YEAH LADYBUGS) but I am at wit's end here.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Got almost two pounds off of my Thor's Hammer Red today.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Very pretty peppers. I've never grown that particular one but have had a few sauces made with it. Pretty tasty with some solid heat levels.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
Can we talk about hose organization? What are some good ways to manage my 100 ft garden hose? I see all types of ways to manage them including a reel that's contained in a box, wall mounted reels, those with spikes so you can plant them in the grass. What's the best ways to manage hoses? Just curious to hear about what has and hasn't worked for you.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Trickortreat posted:

Can we talk about hose organization? What are some good ways to manage my 100 ft garden hose? I see all types of ways to manage them including a reel that's contained in a box, wall mounted reels, those with spikes so you can plant them in the grass. What's the best ways to manage hoses? Just curious to hear about what has and hasn't worked for you.

I bought one of those reel things but I suspected it was causing a bottleneck somewhere that was disrupting flow to my drip irrigation so I'm back to the good old fashioned 'tangled pile of hose on the lawn.'

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Pretty much. All the hoses around here are in full "gently caress it" mode. Will I end up cussing a blue streak when I need to actually pull one all the way out? Absolutely.

The other eleven months of the year though, gently caress those stupid things. I'll disconnect them when cold is coming. They're happy behind shrubs or barns.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

SubG posted:

Looks like the plants didn't react well to over a week of 100-110 F temperatures and they did something I haven't seen 'em do before.

P sure that the unripe peppercorns are also delicious. In Japanese coming they call them sansho.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Justa Dandelion posted:

P sure that the unripe peppercorns are also delicious. In Japanese coming they call them sansho.

That's just what they call the Z. piperitum trees and berries regardless of ripeness. Normally when using green huajiao it wouldn't have opened. So it was a fairly unusual thing for the plant to do in the heat. Also unfortunate when you only get maybe a cup worth of it in a year too.

My dozen or so have all turned red and are just starting to split and drop their seeds. I'll hopefully get a bunch more next year with all the height they've managed to gain this year.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Yeah, the application of the common names is as scattershot for Sichuan peppercorns as everything else. There are cultivars that are used for commercial production of green peppercorns, but they're neither the Z. simulans that these particular peppercorns are from, nor the Z. pipertum which is the "sansho" pepper plant I have.

I think most of the commercial green peppercorn production is via Z. armatum (sometimes called a rattan pepper in Commonwealth countries), whereas if you get a bag of bulk dried peppercorns from your local 99 Ranch or whatever they're probably Z. bungeanum.

That all said, yeah, the green ones are fine, although green Z simulans peppercorns are waaaay more 麻 than most green peppercorns that were grown to be used green. This was actually useful when I was trying to explain to "ma" as a flavour/mouthfeel note to my partner. But right now they're neither green nor have they finished drying and turning red, so mostly I'm worried about how stable they'll end up being once they're harvested. Some of them have gotten noticeably redder and drier since they split so maybe they'll just sort themselves out.

Or I might just not worry about it and make a couple bowls of 麻婆豆腐 and be done with it, because I don't think I'm getting much more than that this season.

Bitter melons have also been a bit of a disappointment. I've got a couple vines and they seem happy/healthy enough, but so far they've set zero fruit. Bit surprised over it; two years ago when it was brutally hot for most of the Summer the bitter melons were happy as a pig in poo poo and we were getting way more bitter melons that we could use. Now: bupkis.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Got some goji berries from my bush. They taste like slightly sweet green peppers.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm proud to announce that my blueberry bushes are back to growing after that iron deficiency mishap.

Got a new bush since the Florida Rose croaked. Introducing the Nocturne blueberry bush:

Also, what are these strings coming out of this sugar snap pea?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

That Old Ganon posted:

Also, what are these strings coming out of this sugar snap pea?

Those grab onto things so it can bush out and grow up instead of sideways along the ground.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Tendrils, it's a fun word

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I have got a couple raised beds that aren稚 going get used again until spring. Is cardboard as 6 month weed blanket a reasonable solution?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

My only experience with trying to mulch/cover with cardboard is cleaning the poo poo up from another part of the yard. Maybe if you splurge on some kind of anchoring pins, maybe I was just too cheap, but it was a massive freakin' headache when we tried it on the home garden.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

In July, I finished paying somebody to strip my garden to the ground so that we could put in terracing, improved soil, and a garden I could walk around an plant in. I'd talked to the landscaper, walked around, discussed plans, and was waiting to hear bak. This week I found out that we may need major septic system work, and I shouldn't do anything "that you aren't willing to undo". So the garden is on hold until the septic issue is resolved, and I have all these perennials I was planting on putting in this fall, which lived the entire gardening year in pots and will have to overwinter in them.

drat it.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

mischief posted:

My only experience with trying to mulch/cover with cardboard is cleaning the poo poo up from another part of the yard. Maybe if you splurge on some kind of anchoring pins, maybe I was just too cheap, but it was a massive freakin' headache when we tried it on the home garden.

Yeah you have to hold it down with rocks or something and if it gets wet and windy enough it may tear into small pieces that will get blown all over the place. Other than that it works well enough.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

mischief posted:

Worked fine for me with a couple of inches of mulch on top, but I did water it when I first put it down. Cardboard on its own is just going to blow away, though.

Darkside543
Nov 27, 2007

That Old Ganon posted:

The ones I have are called, "Supersweet 100 F1 tomatoes." Unfortunately the package says "indeterminate" for its size and I only have a guess as to what that means (that it'll keep growing if I let it?).

Hey, I will take a pic tomorrow of my 5 SS 100's that I've been growing all season to show you what they look like if management is not your top priority haha. All of them were grown from composted seeds from bad tomatoes from last year in the same bed. Bonus pic of a hornworm that got got by parasitic wasps at the top of one of them.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Darkside543 posted:

Hey, I will take a pic tomorrow of my 5 SS 100's that I've been growing all season to show you what they look like if management is not your top priority haha. All of them were grown from composted seeds from bad tomatoes from last year in the same bed. Bonus pic of a hornworm that got got by parasitic wasps at the top of one of them.

Yeah, those look exactly like mine with the yellow flowers and everything (minus a hornworm getting got). They're flowering and it's berry cute.

Unrelated, would anyone have suggestions on the size pot I'd use for the sugar snap pea? It's growing like a weed and sprouting tendrils everywhere.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

That Old Ganon posted:

Unrelated, would anyone have suggestions on the size pot I'd use for the sugar snap pea? It's growing like a weed and sprouting tendrils everywhere.

3 gallon is probably enough, they don't grow big giant root systems in my experience, but you'll need to be particular and consistent about the watering either way. You could probably stick it in a hanging planter and just leave it to cascade down the sides as it also grows up around the hanger.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

Learn something new every day, thanks for the info on the different kinds of sansho.

Darkside543
Nov 27, 2007

That Old Ganon posted:

Yeah, those look exactly like mine with the yellow flowers and everything (minus a hornworm getting got). They're flowering and it's berry cute.

Heres a good angle on what it looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Xpost I built a cold frame and it rules