Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't think you can kill mosquitoes fast enough with insecticide without also murdering billions of life items that we need to not be dead.

We just need a Syphon Filter virus targeted at mosquitos. We also need a Syphon Filter remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
We just need to send cyberpunk hackers outfitted with katanas to unleash their hanzo steel on the mosquito swarms

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

We just need to send cyberpunk hackers outfitted with katanas to unleash their hanzo steel on the mosquito swarms

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Robobot posted:

I'd go a step further and say there should always be a federal bank with a free no fee account available to anyone at all so long as they can show either residency or ID. Privately owned banks can still exist and offer lower rates/more options/better incentives/etc, but every country should be made to have at least one bank that everyone in that country can use for free.

Where would you even put them? In the post office or something?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

christmas boots posted:

I think the only logical conclusion would be to create some sort of megalithic structure in which all essential government services are provided and then simply build up society around these structures.

Wait, that's Sim City. Ugh, why do all my ideas for societal growth end up just being Sim City?!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Robobot posted:

I'd go a step further and say there should always be a federal bank with a free no fee account available to anyone at all so long as they can show either residency or ID. Privately owned banks can still exist and offer lower rates/more options/better incentives/etc, but every country should be made to have at least one bank that everyone in that country can use for free.
The "problem" that always arises is that, if the state is providing something as a service, for-profit businesses can't compete with them. They have to either deliberately handicap the state-owned option, or get rid of it. Because "private enterprise is more efficient and therefore more cost-effective and cheaper" is actually a lie.

The solution, of course, is to not care. Just do the good thing anyway and don't listen when the rich dickheads complain that it's not fair.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

but in all seriousness I wish more things were cash based. It helps me restrain my spending because I know how much money is in my wallet but with cards it's just like "I probably have that much money, let's see".
I'm the opposite. When I used cash all the time, I couldn't help but consider the money gone as soon as it left my bank account. The $50 in my wallet was as good as spent already, so I might as well buy this whatever. Then I switched to mostly using a debit card and I stopped spending so freely because every time I used it money actually went out of my bank account.

Gaius Marius posted:

Look, we're coming up on the dark cyberpunk future. You wanna live in the lame one where it's just Facebook stealing all your data and spying on you to sell you poo poo you don't need, or the cool one where you get a katana and call yourself a street samurai and die in the service of CEOemperor Marcus Flavuis Musk Jr. Personally I'll do whatever gets me a katana
You can just buy a katana and call yourself whatever you like. They're not even expensive.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

christmas boots posted:

Yes

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The federal government providing banking services is a layup, no consequences, cost-free, net good for society. And also it already does it for the idle rich

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

:thejoke:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

it's unpopular but i love doing it

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't think you can kill mosquitoes fast enough with insecticide without also murdering billions of life items that we need to not be dead.

bill gates needs to hurry up with the mosquito laser that has been in development for like a decade now. i think actually the prototype worked really well and could avoid targeting bees and other insects that don't spread malaria.

i don't even remember what the problem was supposed to be, except ofc the areas where it would be most useful maybe don't always have reliable electricity

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The mosquito laser guy was a fraud. His other big idea that is totally around the corner is a portable nuclear reactor, and both of them are totally ready to go as long as the investment money keeps coming in (it hasn't)

That fellow raised over a hundred million dollars for that stupid laser that to this day has never been demonstrated outside a tiny box in a carefully controlled lab setting

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

i dunno about that man, there's a diy guide on how to build one. i bet i could do it, except it's behind a paywall because ofc they don't want me to beat them to it

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I don't know if it's a PHUO, but we as a species should pull the trigger on the entire mosquito population. Just full on planned extinction, goodbye all mosquitos, interspecies genocide. No survivors.

We have had the tools for a long time and the general consensus is that their niche in nature would be filled instantly by midges and other small insects.

Just do it science people! Just go rogue and release the modified poison-gene super fuckers!

We've extinct'd much better animals so some rich women could have a stinkier perfume or cheap beef could be ranched in the jungle. What, when there are millions of lives on the line suddenly we hem and haw about it?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Manager Hoyden posted:

We have had the tools for a long time and the general consensus is that their niche in nature would be filled instantly by midges and other small insects.

Just do it science people! Just go rogue and release the modified poison-gene super fuckers!

What tools are you referring to that wouldn't have massive impact on similar species?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Atticus_1354 posted:

What tools are you referring to that wouldn't have massive impact on similar species?

We (and by "we" I mean actual smart people) can genetically engineer sexually irresistible male mosquitos. Just absolute chads of the mosquito world. These very loving mosquitos have poison genes though. Their offspring is almost all sterile, and that generation's offspring is definitely sterile. This is down-pat proven to work on the hundred or so species of biting mosquitos

So unless bees wants to gently caress mosquitos they are in the clear I think

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Manager Hoyden posted:

This is down-pat proven to work on the hundred or so species of biting mosquitos

I think you might want to reread those studies.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Atticus_1354 posted:

I think you might want to reread those studies.

No

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Manager Hoyden posted:

This is how you end up with giant locusts that ravenously destroy all crops but those of a thinly-disguised Monsanto knockoff run by a thinly-disguised Tim Cook knockoff. And dinosaurs or some poo poo, I don’t know.

Jurassic World: Dominion was a terrible movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Manager Hoyden posted:

We (and by "we" I mean actual smart people) can genetically engineer sexually irresistible male mosquitos. Just absolute chads of the mosquito world. These very loving mosquitos have poison genes though. Their offspring is almost all sterile, and that generation's offspring is definitely sterile. This is down-pat proven to work on the hundred or so species of biting mosquitos

So unless bees wants to gently caress mosquitos they are in the clear I think

They should make people like that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/alecrobbins/status/1572752863759302662?s=46&t=aYyxbIRWf8Lk-7RLY7JpHA

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Gripweed posted:

They should make people like that.

I keep getting told we're not supposed to be generally engineering better humans.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I kinda wanna see an Olympics/pro sports league where steroids and other performance enhancing drugs are not only allowed, but encouraged.

Also we should let those athletes replace limbs and stuff. The sooner we get to real life Super Baseball 2020 the better.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Theres no point just yet, records are still being broken, wait till we peak before trying to boost it a bit further

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Robobot posted:

I kinda wanna see an Olympics/pro sports league where steroids and other performance enhancing drugs are not only allowed, but encouraged.

Also we should let those athletes replace limbs and stuff. The sooner we get to real life Super Baseball 2020 the better.

That was an old SNL skit. Iirc Phil Hartman tore off his arms at the shoulders trying to do a deadlift in it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Benedict Arnold did nothing wrong.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Benedict Arnold did nothing wrong.

He was a loser obsessed with his own standing over any sort of principles.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

obsessed with his own standing over any sort of principles.

That could probably apply to a lot of the founders, honestly.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

That could probably apply to a lot of the founders, honestly.

Most of the founders were bad people, yeah. Such is history.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Button Gwinnett did nothing wrong

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Might want to take a gander at his Wikipedia before saying that.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Let he who has never launched a failed invasion of Florida cast the first stone.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/sTj78p0.mp4

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Cyclists who ride on the sidewalk even when there is a dedicated bike lane should be fed to a hungry anaconda which is then sent through a wood chipper which is then obliterated by a junkyard car-cuber which is then annihilated by an orbital ion cannon bombardment.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Muscle Tracer posted:

Cyclists who ride on the sidewalk even when there is a dedicated bike lane should be fed to a hungry anaconda which is then sent through a wood chipper which is then obliterated by a junkyard car-cuber which is then annihilated by an orbital ion cannon bombardment.

Seems budget intensive.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bullshit. Cyclists on roads should be fair game for any driver

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

thetoughestbean posted:

Seems budget intensive.

Would make more sense to feed multiple cyclists to one anaconda. It's not as personal, but I feel like you get the same effect.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I'm most confused about how the car compactor has enough material to compact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Captain Monkey posted:

I'm most confused about how the car compactor has enough material to compact.

Wood chippers are plenty big enough to crush.