Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm going to guess Shoigu saying they're 'at war with Ukraine and NATO' doesn't really mean anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Grouchio posted:

I'm going to guess Shoigu saying they're 'at war with Ukraine and NATO' doesn't really mean anything?

No, they’ve been saying that before as well.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Can you officially call the "Special Military Operation" as war now in RU media?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Chalks posted:

Is this since the mobilisation announcement or before?

His observations would've been from before the announcement. But he also claims at the end that the mobilization hardly surprised anyone in Russia, so I don't know if he thinks it will change the mood or not.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Question IRL posted:

That's the beauty of it.

They say they are calling up 300,000 Russians with Combat Experience. But they only need 1% of them.

Which means they need 3,000 Russians with Combat Experience.
So they only need to mobilise 3K to meet their targets. And 3K soldiers will surely turn the tide in Russias favour.

In unrelated news, salary for 300,000 Russians are to be ear marked. You are not authorised to ask where the money is going.

One of the paragraphs in the decree is literally secret. There's no 7, and this is where the number of mobilised soldiers is supposed to be. Shoigu said 300k, but nobody knows how many they actually plan to send off.

alex314 posted:

Can you officially call the "Special Military Operation" as war now in RU media?

Propagandists were allowed to call it a war from the start. A war with NATO, a war against non-traditional values, a war for the existence of Russia, etc. You get in trouble when you say it's a war implying a war of aggression (the court will decide what exactly you implied).

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 21, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

alex314 posted:

No.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Strong speeches from Macron and Scholz, both focusing on hitting imperialism and colonialism tropes. Feels like a charm offensive towards Africa or Asia, but, given history, that might be too little too late. In any case, practical policies talked in the coming days will be much more interesting.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Interesting thread with some good maps of Russian supply lines.
https://twitter.com/noclador/status/1572389840007892992

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Somaen posted:

Hey fb, sincerely hope you and your family are untouched by this

Spending my day briefing coworkers about whether they are at risk and how to effectively dodge, first time in 6 months I've felt that I'm doing something useful

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fatherboxx posted:

Spending my day briefing coworkers about whether they are at risk and how to effectively dodge, first time in 6 months I've felt that I'm doing something useful

Rumour goes army doesn’t want drug users

SmokingFrog0641
Oct 29, 2011
I thought this was interesting given the wave of refusenik interviews and stories that we had for a while:

https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1572573095734685702?s=20&t=4TbWCs_uMftH7gcbE9pTgg

https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1572573097357901826?s=20&t=4TbWCs_uMftH7gcbE9pTgg

We heard previously that contractual soldiers would sometimes have their officers refuse to honor their requests despite having certain recourse under Russian law. I wonder if this will lead to new or harsher discipline for refuseniks.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/alexstubb/status/1572534904432349184

https://twitter.com/alexstubb/status/1572534907804565506

https://twitter.com/alexstubb/status/1572534910702821376

https://twitter.com/alexstubb/status/1572534913445908483

SmokingFrog0641 posted:

I wonder if this will lead to new or harsher discipline for refuseniks.

Seems to be a safe bet after yesterday’s laws, noted by Kofman.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/alexstubb/status/1572534911994679297

People keep saying this. Putin is unpredictable. He's been very predictable throughout, imo.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

SmokingFrog0641 posted:

We heard previously that contractual soldiers would sometimes have their officers refuse to honor their requests despite having certain recourse under Russian law. I wonder if this will lead to new or harsher discipline for refuseniks.

This was mentioned a few times over the last months, but at some point they need to formalize stop loss policies since officers can force one or two people to fight past the end of their contracts, but you can't reasonably do that to an entire battalion. Even if the war was going well, they'd still have to do this around now to keep 6 month contracts from expiring away the army.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spankmeister posted:

People keep saying this. Putin is unpredictable. He's been very predictable throughout, imo.

I feel that’s aimed at February 24-style unpredictable, and the general signs of vibes-based policy making, i.e., unpredictable as in non-technocratic.

the other hand
Dec 14, 2003

43rd Heavy Artillery Brigade
"Ultima Ratio Liberalium"

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I feel that’s aimed at February 24-style unpredictable, and the general signs of vibes-based policy making, i.e., unpredictable as in non-technocratic.

He’s super unpredictable to people who assume he isn’t lying whenever he feels it’s convenient.

e: can someone help fill me in? I’m seeing tons of reporting on the number of people being mobilized, but nothing about nationalizing equipment or vehicle production. Has there been anything about how they’re planning to equip all these new troops?

the other hand fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 21, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The full Kofman thread, from which were the excerpts above, for the lazy:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1572573086490464256.html

https://twitter.com/kofmanmichael/status/1572573088189124613

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Can Russian emigrants (is that the word for Russians who immigrated out of Russia?) be compelled to return to Russia for mobilization? Two of my best friends both left Russia ~10 years ago for Western Europe as students and just never returned. They were thinking of visiting family cause they just had their second kid some time ago but I’m really glad they were stymied from it due to logistical issues like flights.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Kofman always super hedges everything he says, but I think he has a good general point. A lot of people were right about the Russian military (they wont win!) for the wrong reasons (They'll run out of ammo by march!) so while I doubt this will change everything, this is a development and escalation that will shape the conflict differently.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can Russian emigrants (is that the word for Russians who immigrated out of Russia?) be compelled to return to Russia for mobilization? Two of my best friends both left Russia ~10 years ago for Western Europe as students and just never returned. They were thinking of visiting family cause they just had their second kid some time ago but I’m really glad they were stymied from it due to logistical issues like flights.

They can be told they need to but nothing will force you to go unless you emigrated to the DNR or Belarus or something.

The good news is that by cutting of visa access, those options for fleeing are closing. The anti-fascist prophylactical barrier is succeeding thanks to European racism states

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 21, 2022

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

the other hand posted:

He’s super unpredictable to people who assume he isn’t lying whenever he feels it’s convenient.

He's super unpredictable if you keep assuming he's going to act like a western leader. The simple truth is, when Putin loses power he is dead. When Putin loses the war, he loses power. Therefore, he will continue to prosecute the war until he loses power anyway, because there's a slim possibility of salvaging something.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

FishBulbia posted:

They can be told they need to but nothing will force you to go unless you emigrated to the DNR or Belarus or something.

The good news is that by cutting of visa access, those options for fleeing are closing. The anti-fascist prophylactical barrier is succeeding thanks to European racism states

It’s too early for me to parse what you mean by the second paragraph but I’ll just say that they left Russia because even 10 years ago they saw that it was always going to be Putin’s country. That seemed to be the sentiment from their Russian friends that I met along the way as well.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

It’s too early for me to parse what you mean by the second paragraph but I’ll just say that they left Russia because even 10 years ago they saw that it was always going to be Putin’s country. That seemed to be the sentiment from their Russian friends that I met along the way as well.

They’re saying that with shuttering of tourist visas in Europe, Russians have fewer destinations to easily flee the military recruiters to.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Couldn't the point of this mobilization be to move the new conscripts into areas Russia already controls (basically the occupation force) and the "veterans" that are already there will be moved up to the front?

SmokingFrog0641
Oct 29, 2011

saratoga posted:

This was mentioned a few times over the last months, but at some point they need to formalize stop loss policies since officers can force one or two people to fight past the end of their contracts, but you can't reasonably do that to an entire battalion. Even if the war was going well, they'd still have to do this around now to keep 6 month contracts from expiring away the army.

I can see your point about the battalion-wide contracts getting ready to expire.

I suppose I mean I’m trying to think what they will actually do. So far, they’ve just been holding them at the front lines or I guess stashing them in a basement. Will they now formally arrest them and send them back east to prison? But that just seems like it would deplete the front more, so I would assume that would not work. If someone flat out does not want to fight, I would not think the threat of jail or court martial, which would entail taking them away from the front would carry much weight. I just assume I’m lacking imagination though.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

The news has sparked mass flight from Russia basically, I'm sure many people on this site can appreciate how apathy toward a political position can set in, once that politics is dressed in an ushanka and knocking on your door, asking you to stop playing warcraft and please get to dying in some mudpatch, you're going to want to find any avenue to flee so you can continue playing warcraft. While it is true that there are still places to go, Georgia, Armenia, try for one of the stans, visa bans just make it a little bit harder and increase the pressure and price of emigration.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
With the (partial) mobilisation, I'm curious if we're going to now see reserve officers who have never served in the military taking command? That sounds like fun, fun, fun for everyone involved...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserve_Officer_Training_in_Russia

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Charliegrs posted:

Couldn't the point of this mobilization be to move the new conscripts into areas Russia already controls (basically the occupation force) and the "veterans" that are already there will be moved up to the front?

Not this one, but that could happen later. Currently the deployments would still count as abroad, and conscripts are not legally involved in those.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

:mil101: ...picks up the contract and continues! One out of two gets volunteer contract and captures Ukrainian soil! The one without, follows him to occupy! When the one with the contract gets killed, the one who is following picks up the contract and continues! One out of two gets volunteer contract...

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the other hand posted:

can someone help fill me in? I’m seeing tons of reporting on the number of people being mobilized, but nothing about nationalizing equipment or vehicle production. Has there been anything about how they’re planning to equip all these new troops?

Not much, ergo “partial mobilisation”, as it really pains them to admit that they’re in dire straits. The closest thing on industry was yesterday’s MIC roundtable about dealing with the western sanctions.

https://twitter.com/maryilyushina/status/1572192030226366465

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

FishBulbia posted:

The news has sparked mass flight from Russia basically, I'm sure many people on this site can appreciate how apathy toward a political position can set in, once that politics is dressed in an ushanka and knocking on your door, asking you to stop playing warcraft and please get to dying in some mudpatch, you're going to want to find any avenue to flee so you can continue playing warcraft. While it is true that there are still places to go, Georgia, Armenia, try for one of the stans, visa bans just make it a little bit harder and increase the pressure and price of emigration.

Even though Russian MoD said they don't plan to put a travel ban in place for all mobilised, by law, they don't have to, and the mobilised shouldn't be allowed to travel without a special permission.

quote:

Article 21. Duties of citizens subject to call-up for military service on mobilisation

1. When mobilisation is declared, citizens subject to call-up for military service must report to assembly points within the time limits specified in mobilisation warrants, summonses and orders of military commissariats, federal executive bodies with reserves.

2. Citizens on the military register shall be prohibited from leaving their place of residence without permission of military commissariats, federal executive bodies with a reserve, from the moment of announcement of mobilisation.

Hopefully, they understand they won't be able to make someone who's willing to pay thousands of dollars for plane tickets to desert into a good soldiers and will just let them go.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Russia's mobilisation taking off swiftly:

https://mobile.twitter.com/runews/status/1572529318835949568

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

SmokingFrog0641 posted:

I can see your point about the battalion-wide contracts getting ready to expire.

I suppose I mean I’m trying to think what they will actually do. So far, they’ve just been holding them at the front lines or I guess stashing them in a basement. Will they now formally arrest them and send them back east to prison? But that just seems like it would deplete the front more, so I would assume that would not work. If someone flat out does not want to fight, I would not think the threat of jail or court martial, which would entail taking them away from the front would carry much weight. I just assume I’m lacking imagination though.

The point of laws is to create the bureaucracy and social pressure to enforce behavior. Before people had the right (at least nominally) to take their money and go home. Now they don't. In theory they could be arrested, but most will probably just suck it up and go along with the system enough to get by but not do much more. If things get really bad they may start to surrender, but things are not there yet.

For what it is worth, essentially all planning for this war has been short term. I don't think that is going to change. I suspect this will be used to stop loss existing units and simplify meeting their existing recruitment goals by enabling them to call up people with experience. So basically a legal formalization of what they were already doing.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

"Ensure 100% import substitution."

So I guess we need to play is Putin delusional/ very ill informed/ an idiot, or does he know this is a joke and just saying it for PR reasons.

I'm assuming the last?

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Stoltenberg weighing in: Calling out Putin's rhetoric as dangerous and reckless but not new. Emphasizes that NATO is keen to stress to Russia that nuclear war cannot be won by any party. Stresses that NATO is not party to the conflict. Notes that Russia has not changed their nuclear force posture. Touches on the efforts to restore NATO stocks of weapons and ammunition.

Basically, NATO seems to be taking Russian escalation calmly, maintaining the exact same position they've had all along. A good watch imo:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1572571639774343169?s=20&t=V5NvovUi6kvnyh4ZgBJ9_g

"Jens Stoltenberg told Reuters Editor in Chief Alessandra Galloni in an interview that Russia's first mobilization since World War Two was not a surprise but that it would escalate the conflict that began with the Russian invasion on Feb. 24.

(...)
"We will make sure that there is no misunderstanding in Moscow about exactly how we will react. Of course it depends upon what kind of situation or what kind or weapons they may use. The most important thing is to prevent that from happening and that is why we have been so clear in our communications with Russia about the unprecedented consequences," Stoltenberg said, referring to any Russian use of nuclear weapons."

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/exclusive-nato-chief-says-putins-ukraine-escalation-dangerous-reckless-2022-09-21/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

dr_rat posted:

"Ensure 100% import substitution."

So I guess we need to play is Putin delusional/ very ill informed/ an idiot, or does he know this is a joke and just saying it for PR reasons.

I'm assuming the last?

He’s just making them the fall guys here.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Lastly, so the status quo regarding the war remains, other than that there's semi-mobilization involved now, basically?
And Putin's 'threats' are less intimidating now than they were when Kiev was attacked in Feburary?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Late-war, the Red Army had some of the most sophisticated tactical doctrine on the planet. They got good at that poo poo. 'Human wave' is from memoirs written by nazi officers after the war trying to paint themselves in a good light.

75 years seems to have been plenty of time to forget it all though. Modern russian tactics seem to have more in common with early WW2.

What's ironic is that it almost seems Putin believes that poo poo (human wave tactics the entire war, one gun for every 5 men) was what actually happened and wants to give it a go lol

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

I'm gonna try to keep this to mostly non-Putin-speech-related stuff

As of midnight Ukraine time yesterday there were no notable territory changes
https://twitter.com/War_Mapper/status/1572375489691684867?s=20&t=h9JkuvTTYLj8zykou0C3ng
Shoigu also spoke last night - livetweet thread
https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1572481454436913152?s=20&t=chn41fZMAd-Puol6cLU1rw
https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1572485438115553280?s=20&t=chn41fZMAd-Puol6cLU1rw
Okay one note on Putin's speech
https://twitter.com/DmitryOpines/status/1572541943514824705?s=20&t=chn41fZMAd-Puol6cLU1rw
https://twitter.com/DmitryOpines/status/1572549980388478977?s=20&t=chn41fZMAd-Puol6cLU1rw
Last one I swear - from China :eyepop:
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1572549954064642048?s=20&t=chn41fZMAd-Puol6cLU1rw
Mobilization officers look very not fash-y
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1572577511573430272?s=20&t=chn41fZMAd-Puol6cLU1rw
Only the finest equipment for the new troops - thread with more pictures and geolocations of equipment movement
https://twitter.com/kromark/status/1572576427412967424?s=20&t=chn41fZMAd-Puol6cLU1rw
About Russian subs - they're getting shuffled around a bit
https://twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1572334139696635905?s=20&t=chn41fZMAd-Puol6cLU1rw
Putin was projecting like an IMAX about threats to nuclear sites btw
https://twitter.com/OlenaHalushka/status/1572532935131279364?s=20&t=chn41fZMAd-Puol6cLU1rw
Interesting fires in Mariupol
https://twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1572310817281904642?s=20&t=chn41fZMAd-Puol6cLU1rw
And in other places
https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1572566821269827586?s=20&t=chn41fZMAd-Puol6cLU1rw
Pontoon bridges: still hard
https://twitter.com/Blue_Sauron/status/1572563299576975361?s=20&t=chn41fZMAd-Puol6cLU1rw
Ukraine launched this on the 19th :hmmyes:
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1572504796925689857?s=20&t=chn41fZMAd-Puol6cLU1rw
Translation:

quote:

As part of the work of the Coordination Staff on the Treatment of Prisoners of War, the implementation of the state project, designed to inform the Russian military about the possibilities of surrendering weapons and preserving one's health and life, continued.

The state project "I want to live" is designed to help servicemen of the Russian army safely surrender to the Ukrainian Armed Forces.

Russians are guaranteed maintenance in accordance with the norms of the Geneva Conventions. Instead, Ukraine needs to replenish the exchange fund in order to return its defenders home.
Nice things:
https://twitter.com/ukraine_world/status/1572286891076259845?s=20&t=chn41fZMAd-Puol6cLU1rw
https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1572339064329875456?s=20&t=chn41fZMAd-Puol6cLU1rw
And, well, Shrek
https://twitter.com/uamemesforces/status/1572574516500639744?s=20&t=chn41fZMAd-Puol6cLU1rw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Note RE: China - the rhetoric is fairly standard, but the fact that it's released as a stand alone statement and not in, say, a read out of a call to Putin or during a security council meeting is a departure from their operating procedure so far