Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

Slovakia, mostly due to their parliament not being in session though.

Thanks.

Incidentally Podolyak's saying stupid, irresponsible stuff again. Thankfully Stoltenberg and Biden's statements today make it clear they aren't biting.

https://twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/1572636245385416704

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

What the hell role did Mr. Kill-You-With-A-Bonesaw play in this? Is he just one of those dictators that Putin listens to?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 21, 2022

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

The 5900 Kia figure seems in the realm of plausibility if you assume it is strictly military casualties and doesn't include LNR/DNR troops, Wagner and other PMC troops and Rosgvardiya and other "non-military" troops.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

What the hell role did Mr. Kill-You-With-A-Bonesaw play in this?

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-releases-10-foreigners-captured-ukraine-after-saudi-mediation-riyadh-2022-09-21/

quote:

RIYADH, Sept 21 (Reuters) - Russia on Wednesday released 10 foreign prisoners of war captured in Ukraine following mediation by Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, the Saudi foreign ministry said.

The freed prisoners were American, British, Croatian, Moroccan and Swedish nationals, the ministry said in a statement, adding that a plane carrying the prisoners landed in the kingdom.

"The relevant Saudi authorities received and transferred them from Russia to the kingdom and are facilitating procedures for their respective countries," the statement said.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

What the hell role did Mr. Kill-You-With-A-Bonesaw play in this? Is he just one of those dictators that Putin listens to?

I'm guessing they both found common ground on blatantly murdering people they find inconvenient.

Or that Saudi Arabia threatened to turn on the oil taps and further tank Russia's economy for whatever reason they felt like to get this done.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Like it or not, there is a relationship between the political elites of the UK and Saudi Arabia and has been for a very long time. I believe the British has armed KSA during their Yemen action for example. A lot of Arabian royalty goes to Sandhurst. Etc etc etc

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
MBS is also desperate to be taken seriously and seen as a "good guy." This didn't cost anyone involved anything but time, everyone looks better for it.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Long time since I gave an update on my Russian friends. My friend who managed to get Aliyah to move to Israel is sadly still inside Russia, his parents and grandmother already moved to Israel, but he has a ticket for October 23rd...

Meanwhile another friend of mine who had no chance to leave as he had to stay to take care of his parents (his brother managed to move to Slovenia with his family) sent me an email almost 4 hours ago saying that he is going to a protest and said his good byes, saying he doesn't know if he will ever get home.
I managed to reach him via telegram about 10 minutes ago and the only message he sent as a reply was "Бегу" (running). No idea what to think. I started drinking.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Atreiden posted:

It's being propped up by the EU (+ separate help from EU countries), US, UK + others, sadly on what seems like an ad hoc basis. The EU approved €5 billion in help today https://euneighbourseast.eu/news/latest-news/eu-formally-approves-additional-e5-billion-assistance-to-ukraine/

Chalks posted:

It's hosed (like, 35-45% smaller), but they're also mobilised so that has a big impact and I've not seen any analysis about what sort of long term damage has been done. It might be impossible to tell.

In terms of current economic aid, they're meant to be getting aid from the IMF but apparently they've been dragging their heels. Lots of promises of post war help with rebuilding though and I imagine there's a chance Russia's $300bn frozen foreign currency reserves may be up for grabs as war reparations given how things have been going.

Bit late on this, thread moves fast, but thanks. That's unfortunate. Money spent for foreign aid might not be as sexy as sending big boom booms, but it sounds like it might be just as vital. Maybe it's a good time to write a letter to your local representative showing your support for more economic aid to Ukraine? Feels like this is something that's worth boosting the signal about lest Ukraine wins the war and loses the peace.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Some good news
https://twitter.com/ukraine_world/status/1572676597211336704

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

At least the war seems to be getting a little bit harder to ignore for people living in Moscow

https://twitter.com/ASLuhn/status/1572652676000907266

Probably won't last much longer though, sadly.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Meanwhile another friend of mine who had no chance to leave as he had to stay to take care of his parents (his brother managed to move to Slovenia with his family) sent me an email almost 4 hours ago saying that he is going to a protest and said his good byes, saying he doesn't know if he will ever get home.
I managed to reach him via telegram about 10 minutes ago and the only message he sent as a reply was "Бегу" (running). No idea what to think. I started drinking.
I just got this.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

d64 posted:

Anonymous Russian correspondent of Finnish daily newspaper hs.fi reports that while in the spring, he found the polls showing 80%+ support for the war incredible, at this point it is clear support for the war has grown. Many people who were earlier on the fence are now openly for it. Availability of goods (including, for example, foreign electronics) has again improved in the last few months and there is no shortage of any necessities; many people had fears of empty shelves which have this far turned out unfounded.

E: His observations are from St. Petersburg specifically.

wow an anonymous russian source who says everything is great and people love getting called up to go get shelled in Ukraine

also from finnish border

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

ugh, are they shooting at protesters?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

wow an anonymous russian source who says everything is great and people love getting called up to go get shelled in Ukraine

also from finnish border

I assume there's no visa free travel into Finland, so what are people travelling there claiming? Pretending it's a holiday or claiming political asylum? Would a big Z on your car get you turned back?

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Flavahbeast posted:

ugh, are they shooting at protesters?

I don't have any details yet, he is pretty shaken, but on his way home "safe".

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1572662856205881345

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
For some reason, despite the new escalation by Russia, there was a PoW exhange. The three foreign Ukrainian soldiers that were sentenced to death in DNR are among other Azovstal defenders who are free now.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-releases-10-foreigners-captured-ukraine-after-saudi-mediation-riyadh-2022-09-21/

The article says 10, but Ukrainian media seem to indicate that more were freed and returned to Ukraine by other means.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Not much, ergo “partial mobilisation”, as it really pains them to admit that they’re in dire straits. The closest thing on industry was yesterday’s MIC roundtable about dealing with the western sanctions.

https://twitter.com/maryilyushina/status/1572192030226366465

That is interesting along with Putin softening rhetoric somewhat. Not in the sense that the rhetoric changes anything, but when you're fighting neo-nazis, you have the option of saying 'we hosed them up enough' and disengaging. As long as the rhetoric was that Ukraine are literally Nazis, there's simply no way to off-ramp that. Changing that language doesn't change anything, but it does show that he wants to leave himself an off-ramp at some point.

Interesting to see a bit of reality got through to Putin. I guess having two fronts collapse into routs and losing multiple regiments, including one of their very best tank regiments will do that

Chalks posted:

I assume there's no visa free travel into Finland, so what are people travelling there claiming? Pretending it's a holiday or claiming political asylum? Would a big Z on your car get you turned back?

idk beyond schengen visa holders have been able to get in? I imagine someone here more directly knowledgeable about what's going on on the Finnish border can give you a better answer

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It seems significant that in the last 24 hours or so, Turkey's Erdogan has said that Russia must return Crimea and everything else to Ukraine, and Turkish foreign ministry has called the referendums to annex Ukrainian parts 'illegal'.

Both understanders and neutral parties are running low for Russia.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Paladinus posted:

For some reason, despite the new escalation by Russia, there was a PoW exhange. The three foreign Ukrainian soldiers that were sentenced to death in DNR are among other Azovstal defenders who are free now.

The article says 10, but Ukrainian media seem to indicate that more were freed and returned to Ukraine by other means.

Fallout from the Kharkiv offensive probably. I wonder what the ratio was, these are some high profile prisoners being released by Russia. Could be that Ukraine had some high ranking Russians but maybe they just gave them prisoners 10:1 - after all, they've got PoWs to spare

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Paladinus posted:

10 are just the foreigners. There are photos of some of the Ukrainians exchanged around (including earlier in the thread); I think those are separate exchanges since these 10 apparently went through Riyadh and the to London, whole the Ukrainians were exchanged near Chernigiv. The timing I imagine is because the crazies have mobilization to compensate some for having their bloodlust unsated.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Бегу did look suspicious, in a bad way, not this kind of bad way :staredog:

Paladinus posted:

“We’re going to nuke these NATO fascists” I say as I help illegal Nazi mercenaries board a plane home.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Chalks posted:

Fallout from the Kharkiv offensive probably. I wonder what the ratio was, these are some high profile prisoners being released by Russia. Could be that Ukraine had some high ranking Russians but maybe they just gave them prisoners 10:1 - after all, they've got PoWs to spare

I don't think we can draw such conclusions. Prisoner exchanges have been going on all along. Foreign citizens are special, but in the end not super valuable. Despite all the hot takes, Russia still wants their boys back too because it can be portrayed as heros returning to home or at least you get less mothers of soldiers rallies.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Chalks posted:

The discussion here in Finland for a couple weeks now has been arguing about whether we should indefinitely postpone / cancel all tourist visas for travellers from Russia, like the Baltic states have already done. As opposed to pushing for an EU/Schengen-wide policy change.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nenonen posted:

It seems significant that in the last 24 hours or so, Turkey's Erdogan has said that Russia must return Crimea and everything else to Ukraine, and Turkish foreign ministry has called the referendums to annex Ukrainian parts 'illegal'.

Both understanders and neutral parties are running low for Russia.

Turkey was never on russia's side here, I don't think. It's really just China and to a lesser degree India and they're still doing the "why don't you guys just hug" thing

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Paladinus posted:

You only big dick with denying POW exchanges when you are absolutely sure you aren't going to have a lot of POWs from your side in enemy hands. Russia has never been in that position in this war, so things like this will happen.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

There's video of what looks to be this woman on the ground - I came across it in my Ukraine twitter feed. The woman is very very very limp. I do not want to link it but I will if you ask me to cinci. It's on the Kyiv Post twitter page.

From experience don't watch it if you have head trauma related PTSD, or in general really.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Turkey was never on russia's side here, I don't think. It's really just China and to a lesser degree India and they're still doing the "why don't you guys just hug" thing

Certainly not on their side, I mean Bayraktar and all. But I don't remember such a clear stance against Russian occupation of Ukraine until now. The Turkey-Russia relationship has been, shall we say, convoluted...

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
For anyone who still buys into the absurd idea that a potential (and at the moment, deeply hypothetical) total republican electoral victory would lead to the US taking a pro russian policy position, lets see what archconservative outlet nationalreview is saying US and NATO policy should be towards Russia

from
https://www.nationalreview.com/2022/09/putin-approaches-the-nuclear-red-line/

Seriously the dems are the less pro-war/intervention political party, the idea that republicans are going to be any less is just an absolute fantasy.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Blyaaaa that's a proper pizdets. gently caress

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

spankmeister posted:

Blyaaaa that's a proper pizdets. gently caress

Im sorry but can anyone translate? Everyones reaction is bad but i dont know what it says?

thanks.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

KitConstantine posted:

There's video of what looks to be this woman on the ground - I came across it in my Ukraine twitter feed. The woman is very very very limp. I do not want to link it but I will if you ask me to cinci. It's on the Kyiv Post twitter page.

From experience don't watch it if you have head trauma related PTSD, or in general really.

Nah, thanks, I’m afraid we’re clear enough here already.

Zhanism posted:

Im sorry but can anyone translate? Everyones reaction is bad but i dont know what it says?

thanks.

OP’s friend just had a woman murdered next to him

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Zhanism posted:

thanks.

"gently caress. They killed a girl right next to me. gently caress."

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Holy poo poo they actually freed Redis and Kalina

https://twitter.com/antiputler_news/status/1572693973595979777?t=GZH5-jLJqe9V12ZC_RrdRQ&s=19

Did Ukrainians capture a Kadyrov family member to exchange for them? Hard to imagine Russians settling for anything less

d64
Jan 15, 2003

Chalks posted:

Is this since the mobilisation announcement or before?

Before.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

If you think the paper - which is definitely not pro-Russian - is publishing the views of a putinist propagandist, yeah, go on believing that. They have published accounts from the correspondent since the war began, he is strongly anti-war, and anonymous (to us, not the paper) for obvious reasons.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

fatherboxx posted:

Holy poo poo they actually freed Redis and Kalina

https://twitter.com/antiputler_news/status/1572693973595979777?t=GZH5-jLJqe9V12ZC_RrdRQ&s=19

Did Ukrainians capture a Kadyrov family member to exchange for them? Hard to imagine Russians settling for anything less

I kinda wonder if Putin's making a push for some kind of quick resolution behind the scenes. If he's still trying to lay claim to Kherson and Zaporozhnia oblasts I'm sure it's a non starter, though. Earlier there were also rumors that Medvedchuk was handed over to Russia as part of the exchange but I dont know if that ended up being true

Girkin is very unhappy with all this of course (machine translation)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

War in Ukraine: I ask for the maximum repost

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

d64 posted:

Before.

If you think the paper - which is definitely not pro-Russian - is publishing the views of a putinist propagandist, yeah, go on believing that. They have published accounts from the correspondent since the war began, he is strongly anti-war, and anonymous (to us, not the paper) for obvious reasons.

Thanks for the added context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
This is grim, from a Wall Street Journal reporter covering Russia.

https://twitter.com/evangershkovich/status/1572688378604421120?t=1nrUAnqpOreI5d_ftvOjdA&s=19