Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Maybe you should vote to move the condo complex to an area where someone won't steal a loving dog park

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Is the dog park not next to a condo? How the hell does this happen? Lol.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I live in a big city and I would probably vote no on paying more for 24/7 security too. A security camera accomplishes pretty much the same thing. I wouldn't like paying for a door person either. Any scenario in which you are paying for someone's payroll time is gonna be real expensive, obviously. But other folks seek that out and really want the door person at their building :shrug:

It maybe would have saved your dog park, though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

24/7 security is pretty good if you live anywhere near a downtown area in California, unless you like stepping over people literally camping on the sidewalk 365

Our building had 24/7 security + door person and the property managers office on site, that kind of street level presence helps keep things from turning into an unlivable hell

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

Maybe you should vote to move the condo complex to an area where someone won't steal a loving dog park

Never in my life has it occurred to me that a dog park can be stolen. It's like stealing a lake.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

gp2k posted:

Never in my life has it occurred to me that a dog park can be stolen. It's like stealing a lake.

Was a woman in a red trenchcoat and big floppy hat spotted in the vicinity?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Hadlock posted:

24/7 security is pretty good if you live anywhere near a downtown area in California, unless you like stepping over people literally camping on the sidewalk 365

Our building had 24/7 security + door person and the property managers office on site, that kind of street level presence helps keep things from turning into an unlivable hell

I am guessing you mean the front entrance walkway and places like that, I get what you mean. On the actual sidewalk, it's city property here and in the Midwest (Chicago) we have people living on the sidewalks 24/7. They choose to get sheltered in the very worst depths of winter but come right back out when it warms up.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Does anyone have recommendations on outdoor fabric brand? It’s for furniture on a covered, but not screened, porch. I read about Sunbrella but it’s expensive and may be overkill

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

House Ownership: Someone stole the dog park again.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Upgrade posted:

Does anyone have recommendations on outdoor fabric brand? It’s for furniture on a covered, but not screened, porch. I read about Sunbrella but it’s expensive and may be overkill

Heh I was going to recommend sunbrella. I recovered some chairs with it and they live out in the Arizona sun and get soaked when it rains and seems to be holding up well.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Qwijib0 posted:

Heh I was going to recommend sunbrella. I recovered some chairs with it and they live out in the Arizona sun and get soaked when it rains and seems to be holding up well.

Is there a cheaper brand that’s less hardcore? Covered porch means it’ll occasionally get wet from heavy storms but that’s about it

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Anza Borrego posted:

Landscape Architect working in commercial/institutional/civic space here, hard disagree. They do, however, look really lovely inside if you don’t live in an industrial loft and aren’t a great fit for most residential styles.

We use them for commercial and institutional spaces where we are less worried about maintenance, because the turnbuckles will be need maintenance regularly to keep the cables looking good. I actively avoid them for high-use spaces because people tear them up.

They look great on a deck that needs fall protection though!

ok that's a fair point, i will concede that they would look ok on projects like the highline in nyc or race st pier in philly (those projects may or may not have actually incorporated cable railings).

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Upgrade posted:

Is there a cheaper brand that’s less hardcore? Covered porch means it’ll occasionally get wet from heavy storms but that’s about it
You can get cheaper stuff and just take care of it by cleaning it and using 303 aerospace protectant

Originally engineered for aerospace and aviation applications, 303® Protectant provides superior protection against harmful UV rays that can cause discoloration, fading, and cracking of vinyl, rubber and plastic surfaces. 303 Protectant also helps repel dust, dirt, lint and staining.

The stuff is expensive so I'm only going to apply it maybe 2-3 times a year on my stuff, it recommends quarterly or more.

I can't personally vouch for it (yet, I've only done one application) but I learned about it from canoe people and synthetic leather seat car detailer people who swear by it.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Sundae posted:

I posted this in the SFBA thread in LAN, but home ownership and all that, it belongs here too.

My condo complex had a dog park. Note the past tense. Brand new sentence: Someone stole the dog park again.

This is the second time that someone (multiple someones, almost certainly) has come in the middle of the night and literally dug up the loving thing. They took all the fencing, posts, the garbage cans, and the limited agility equipment/play stuff for the dogs that were in there. It wasn't fully outfitted or anything, but it had a ramp and a tunnel--stuff like that.

Anyway, it's gone again. HOA sent out a survey asking if they should spend more money on replacing it. I voted yes, and then in the comments added something to the gist of "Sure is a shame we all voted down paying a little extra in dues each month for 24/7 security and night watch, huh?"

sounds like an inside job in an attempt to get 24/7 security for the complex. someone's condo is filled with rolls of fencing that smells like dog pee

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Poopelyse posted:

sounds like an inside job in an attempt to get 24/7 security for the complex. someone's condo is filled with rolls of fencing that smells like dog pee

:tinfoil:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
This was my first instinct. Are there not cameras that caught this unusual act in the first place? I cant begin to fathom who would "steal" a dog park and its amenities in the middle of the night. It sounds like a fishy board to me.

SO OUR DOG PARK WAS STOLEN LAST NIGHT WE NEED TO HIRE SECURITY!!!!!!

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
Turn on the shower this morning and water starts spraying from the flexible arm in multiple places. Guess I get to problem solve my shower head/arm tonight.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists
Small update on the well thing.

Talked to an actual well person who I had reached out to before posting here. They had me do some of the same things y'all mentioned here to get some idea on how the system is currently operating without sending someone out (which they said they could, but also said for a rough idea this is fine).

Their opinion was basically:

- It appears our well system is functioning correctly, if we're having any pressure problems from 1-2 taps turning on it's likely an internal plumbing problem.
- Our pressure tank is nearing the end of it's expected service life, so it could be starting to fail which could also be causing intermittent pressure problems, but they'd have to come out to know for sure.
- Based on what I told him, his guess is that our well pump is undersized for the amount of demand we're trying to put on the system, that the 1/2 HP pump we have is only capable of producing 10-12 GPM under perfect conditions, and getting into 4-5 fixtures running can easily out pace it even under perfect conditions.
- Switching to a constant pressure system likely wouldn't affect the pressure of running multiple fixtures at once, unless we installed a system that was capable of producing more than our current system is-- and then the fix would be coming from the larger system, not from the constant pressure system.

He did say that they do install them, and they sometimes recommend them for larger systems not because the constant part is needed, but because a larger system ends up needing a larger pressure tank where the constant pressure tank only need a small surge tank so they take up less room and sometimes end up being cheaper to install in those systems due to saving money on the larger pressure tank.

My contractor was out today so I talked to him in person, and he said that he wasn't saying that we needed to change anything in the well for him to move forward. He was just warning us that with our shower having 4 fixtures, we might need to upgrade the well pump for QOL because the shower by itself will likely easily meet or exceed the system we currently have, and mentioned the constant pressure system because in his experience people often installed those rather than larger traditional system. But he's happy to move ahead without touching the well, and just waiting and see if our pressure becomes a problem, and if so have me call a well guy out to evaluate.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's good you got some of that sorted out, but your contractor needs to be a lot more sure that he's not putting 4 fixtures on a 1/2" line to you bathroom that is also shared with the kitchen and your garden sprinklers. That's on HIM to sort out the interior plumbing.

The problem with oversizing well pumps is that they short cycle. I have a large home with crazy shower/multiple bathrooms/multiple people living here and I can take a shower with the dishwasher and clothes washer running and can't tell if someone flushed a toilet. All on a 1/2 HP pump 65 down the bore hole. Because everything else is in good order, done correctly.

Verman posted:

This was my first instinct. Are there not cameras that caught this unusual act in the first place? I cant begin to fathom who would "steal" a dog park and its amenities in the middle of the night. It sounds like a fishy board to me.

Sounds a whole lot more like someone who lives close enough to the dog park who doesn't want a loving dog park there. Likely do to the regular reasons like the behavior of the people there or on their way to and from the park.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 22, 2022

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Motronic posted:

Sounds a whole lot more like someone who lives close enough to the dog park who doesn't want a loving dog park there. Likely do to the regular reasons like the behavior of the people there or on their way to and from the park.

Right? No one is stealing this dog park. They are destroying it because they don't like it, but are somehow civil enough to clean up after themselves.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jenkl posted:

Right? No one is stealing this dog park. They are destroying it because they don't like it, but are somehow civil enough to clean up after themselves.

Psssst - it' because they live literally within view of the park.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Verman posted:

We have no security cameras except for individual unit cameras if the residents themselves bought them. CA privacy laws prohibit filming any private property without the owner's consent, so most of the complex goes un-monitored to avoid accidentally filming someone's porch or garage door (which are both considered places where a person can expect personal privacy). It's about 350 units, maybe 1/4-square-mile complex.

Honestly, all you'd need to do to get the average person to ignore someone stealing your dog park is put up a halogen light and put on a reflective vest. Be blatant, and you're probably a city worker or something. :shrug:

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

city dog parks can be loud as gently caress so that's my guess. living adjacent to one would be my own personal hell.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Oh, another fun thing I realized while doing pest control stuff: I can get into all my neighbors' units through their attics. All I'd need is a pair of wire cutters to go through the chicken-wire separating our attic units, and I could just drop down into their bedroom closets. :lol:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Generators…I don’t think I want to mess with a whole-home generator at this point but I am concerned about losing power. Having little kids, I’m concerned about keeping the oil boiler running during the winter and the fridge/stove operational. Oh and my well pump for water.

Would a portable generator be capable of doing this? I don’t know a thing about them and I’m not sure how I would realistically have it power the boiler/etc since they feed into the breaker panel.

In all honesty, the house is almost 30 years old and has never had a whole home generator so I’m not too concerned, but my neighbors said they have gone without power for a few days during some of the winters here-they also have a wood stove in the basement so it’s possibly not as big a deal to them.

nwin fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 22, 2022

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I re-caulked my bathtub/shower insert and found out my POs used some kind of hardened putty first to try to seal the thing, and when that absolutely failed they just absolutely SLATHERED caulk on. Outdoor caulk. And they didn't really caulk the top of the insert, they just sloppily dumped enough paint on it that it kind of sealed. :suicide:

The caulking itself took maybe 45 minutes total. Removing the fuckshit took me 2.5 hours.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

Motronic posted:

It's good you got some of that sorted out, but your contractor needs to be a lot more sure that he's not putting 4 fixtures on a 1/2" line to you bathroom that is also shared with the kitchen and your garden sprinklers. That's on HIM to sort out the interior plumbing.

The 4 fixtures the contractor is installing don't exist yet, construction doesn't start until Oct 31st, and that bathroom is about 10ft away from the pressure tank and the hot water heater and is spec'd for 3/4" lines running to the shower itself, which I assume will be coming off right near the source since that's the closest place for the water to come from anyways.

The well guy's comment was about the pressure loses from existing fixtures when I was trying to simulate having a 4 fixture shower by turning on random fixtures in the house (Kitchen, Powder Room, and Laundry Room) was that if any of those are losing pressure while the pressure switch is keeping the line between 40-60, then those have internal plumbing problems, and it's not a well problem.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Originally engineered for aerospace and aviation applications, 303® Protectant provides superior protection against harmful UV rays that can cause discoloration, fading, and cracking of vinyl, rubber and plastic surfaces. 303 Protectant also helps repel dust, dirt, lint and staining.

Hope I'm not the only one who heard this in the Project Farm guy's voice.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

nwin posted:

Generators…I don’t think I want to mess with a whole-home generator at this point but I am concerned about losing power. Having little kids, I’m concerned about keeping the oil boiler running during the winter and the fridge/stove operational. Oh and my well pump for water.

Would a portable generator be capable of doing this? I don’t know a thing about them and I’m not sure how I would realistically have it power the boiler/etc since they feed into the breaker panel.

In all honesty, the house is almost 30 years old and has never had a whole home generator so I’m not too concerned, but my neighbors said they have gone without power for a few days during some of the winters here-they also have a wood stove in the basement so it’s possibly not as big a deal to them.

Because I looked this stuff up!

Anything that you can plug into the wall, you can plug into a generator pretty much (sometimes electronics aren't super happy about it).

Where it gets trickier is when stuff is hard wired like I assume your oil boiler and well pump almost certainly are. If you're handy and it's an emergency you can rig something up where you essentially unwire the well pump / hot water heater from the house and wire it into your generator but this is generally a bad idea because if you don't make sure that you full disconnect it from your houses wiring you can send electric back up the service.

The correct answer is to install a transfer switch that you can plug your generator into, and the switch will switch between your generator that you plug into it and the main service, but you can't have both on. Depending on how big your house is you may need to shut off some breakers, or make a separate smaller breaker panel as a sub panel that just has the stuff you want to run off the generator and put the transfer switch on that instead of on the main panel.

When I went through this same calculus I ended up just getting a whole home generator installed with an automated transfer switch, but that was definitely a QOL thing not a necessity.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Comrade Gritty posted:

Because I looked this stuff up!

Anything that you can plug into the wall, you can plug into a generator pretty much (sometimes electronics aren't super happy about it).

Where it gets trickier is when stuff is hard wired like I assume your oil boiler and well pump almost certainly are. If you're handy and it's an emergency you can rig something up where you essentially unwire the well pump / hot water heater from the house and wire it into your generator but this is generally a bad idea because if you don't make sure that you full disconnect it from your houses wiring you can send electric back up the service.

The correct answer is to install a transfer switch that you can plug your generator into, and the switch will switch between your generator that you plug into it and the main service, but you can't have both on. Depending on how big your house is you may need to shut off some breakers, or make a separate smaller breaker panel as a sub panel that just has the stuff you want to run off the generator and put the transfer switch on that instead of on the main panel.

When I went through this same calculus I ended up just getting a whole home generator installed with an automated transfer switch, but that was definitely a QOL thing not a necessity.

Thanks I was just reading up on those.

My breaker panel is in the basement whereas my generator would be outside somewhere.

From what I can tell, my best option is to basically call an electrician and have them come out to review options (either a separate panel installed outside which would handle the load of a furnace/well pump/ a few outlets throughout the house, or a single plug where it would be on my to shut off the unsupported breakers on my basement panel prior to turning the generator on).

If I’ve got that right then I’m curious on what an electrician would charge for those options.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nwin posted:

Gritty took are of the transfer switch/get a whole home generator, but if you go with a transfer switch and inlet I assure you you can run your well pump, oil furnace and all the lighting you could possible need on a 5k watt generator. 7500 even better.

I'm running all of the above as well as two fridges, 4 or 5 mini fridges/white wine coolers, kegerator, chest freezer radon mitigation system, various other "always on" things on my Champion 7500 watt. It's really ridiculous how well it actually all works. It's a little rough if you don't get it turned on right away because all the fridges and freezer call for cooling at once and it's quite an inrush, but it still muddles through eventually.

Obviously you're not running any real amount of electric resistance heating or heat pumps/ac units on something like this, but it totally works out for well/oil homes.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Motronic posted:

Gritty took are of the transfer switch/get a whole home generator, but if you go with a transfer switch and inlet I assure you you can run your well pump, oil furnace and all the lighting you could possible need on a 5k watt generator. 7500 even better.

I'm running all of the above as well as two fridges, 4 or 5 mini fridges/white wine coolers, kegerator, chest freezer radon mitigation system, various other "always on" things on my Champion 7500 watt. It's really ridiculous how well it actually all works. It's a little rough if you don't get it turned on right away because all the fridges and freezer call for cooling at once and it's quite an inrush, but it still muddles through eventually.

Obviously you're not running any real amount of electric resistance heating or heat pumps/ac units on something like this, but it totally works out for well/oil homes.

Is yours a whole home or portable? One reason I don’t want to deal with whole home is because then I’ll need to get a propane tank since natural gas isn’t offered here.

I read that inverter generators are supposed to be better than normal portable generators, but I’m not sure the cost is worth it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I want to know what shower system is being installed here because 3/4" is a LOT of water even at the reduced pressures you get inside. Do you need to wear a life vest or have a life ring mounted in this? Can your septic handle it?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nwin posted:

Is yours a whole home or portable? One reason I don’t want to deal with whole home is because then I’ll need to get a propane tank since natural gas isn’t offered here.

I read that inverter generators are supposed to be better than normal portable generators, but I’m not sure the cost is worth it.

Just a gas portable jobbie. Not inverter. Standard $600 buy it at a box box store portable generator.

Yes, inverter generators are great. More fuel efficient, quieter when they're not running at full load, etc. But all I care about is the few times a year I need power and I can live with this just fine. It runs on 5 gallons of fuel for.....hours and hours. Certainly not 300% or more better, which is how much more they cost.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

nwin posted:

Motronic is better versed than I, but I'll second the fact that you can definitely run that stuff off of a portable. We lost power for ~5 days a few years ago and ended up with a portable thing running 3 fridges, computers, our well pump (that I hackishly disconnected and put a plug end on to save my life when my city water wife learned that no power = no water when you're on a well), and a few other bits and bobs.

The reasons I went whole home:

- I hate maintaining gas engines, and there's a 90% chance my generator would be non functional when I went to use it, just like my gas snowblower is now.
- I already had a propane tank for our HVAC/hot water/dryer/etc.
- Portable things don't run our A/C and I melt when the house gets above ~72.
- I don't have to think about it, power goes out for about 20 seconds and boom I have power again, and all my lights, etc work.

The price difference is drastic. I think we got a 24kw Generac installed for 11k? vs $600 + whatever the electrical work to get a transfer switch.

H110Hawk posted:

I want to know what shower system is being installed here because 3/4" is a LOT of water even at the reduced pressures you get inside. Do you need to wear a life vest or have a life ring mounted in this? Can your septic handle it?

The 3/4" is what feed the thermostatic valve, which is then split 4 ways with 1/2" outlets.

Fixtures are:

- Shower Head @ 2.5GPM
- Hand Held @ 1.75GPM
- Rain Head @ 1.75GPM
- 3x Body Jets @ ??? GPM

Which will be plumbed into:

- Digital Thermostatic Shower Valve
- Digital Controller

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Whole home, all the way, even though they're ridiculously expensive. It's hugely convenient to have all your appliances (and most importantly, AC) run normally with no sacrifices/corners cut. If you get natural gas to your home you can run them off that too

I have a portable one for stupid reasons, and it drives a 14,000btu floor unit, again for stupid reasons

Generators are on sale this year because we've had an exceptionally light hurricane season and everyone is sitting on tons of stock

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’m in Connecticut-if my power goes out during the summer, it’s not likely to be for that long to justify needing a whole home to run my AC. I’m only concerned with winter time.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Comrade Gritty posted:

The 3/4" is what feed the thermostatic valve, which is then split 4 ways with 1/2" outlets.

Fixtures are:

- Shower Head @ 2.5GPM
- Hand Held @ 1.75GPM
- Rain Head @ 1.75GPM
- 3x Body Jets @ ??? GPM

Which will be plumbed into:

- Digital Thermostatic Shower Valve
- Digital Controller

I gotta know how you're going to feed this super shower hot water? I have a 75 gallon water heater that can provide over 100 gallons before it starts dropping off, and even my monster water heater would get you maybe 20 minutes in that shower if you're running 3 out of 4 fixtures at a time. Unless you're running a pair of gas tankless water heaters in series I hope your showers are quick.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I know nothing about those showers but are you usually running all 4 at the same time? My shower has a wand at the shower head and it’s not like we use both at the same time. I’d imagine the same for the rainfall attachment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

lol I didn't think about HEATING all that water.

Nah, you don't run them all at once but the ??? GPM body jets are doing a lot of heavy lifting here. Those probably add up to near 10 GPM on their own, and yes.....every place I've seen with them around here (same general area as Gritty) have to run two tankless heaters to make enough hot water to feed them (location matters because of average groundwater temp).

All this to say: make sure that contractor has triple checked their calculations. On all of this. In light of all of this I don't like that it sounds like they are trying to make pre-excuses for when you don't like the performance of this thing.

E: skip all these body jets and get a steam generator

Motronic fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 22, 2022