Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Comparing any comedy to S2 of Arrested Development is unfair. That’s the funniest television has ever been, with maybe the greatest ensemble cast in the history of TV.

But I agree they could move some stuff around, maybe turn down the cutesy-adorkable “gurl-frend!” kinda interplay and just tell more “jokes” and sight gags based on her being a hulk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bust Rodd posted:

Comparing any comedy to S2 of Arrested Development is unfair. That’s the funniest television has ever been, with maybe the greatest ensemble cast in the history of TV.

But I agree they could move some stuff around, maybe turn down the cutesy-adorkable “gurl-frend!” kinda interplay and just tell more “jokes” and sight gags based on her being a hulk.

:lol: You're not wrong - it's a 10-ton hammer in comparisons. :3:

I rank any season of Curb higher but that's just personal preference for long ball Larry

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Community, Crazy ex-girlfriend, What we do in the shadows...
There's plenty of better comedies, but on Marvel scale She-Hulk is pretty good.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Super Deuce posted:

And as far as vapid goes, I'm referring to the shallowness of all but two characters in the show. They're all flat shallow pieces hitting the exact same note. Nikki we've seen a bit more and, sure, she's capable at her job. However she has the same obsession with appearance everyone else has in the show. I get that it's a theme here, but quite literally everyone involved has an obsession with Jen's (and their own) appearance including her. There has been zero departure from it, yet, making the show feel bland in a lot of regards.

Some women like fashion and make-up and I am fuming

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

adhuin posted:

Community, Crazy ex-girlfriend, What we do in the shadows...
There's plenty of better comedies, but on Marvel scale She-Hulk is pretty good.

Yeah I agree, I'm a fan of Shulk but it's only like an 8. Just simple silly casual fun, with some light feminism themes, superhero stuff and marvel cameos. I'd compare it to like, a goofy adult swim cartoon rather than Schitt's Creek or Broad City.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Rarity posted:

Some women like fashion and make-up and I am fuming

I wonder why they're so obsessed with their appearances??? Now let me show you my ten page screed on how I can tell how shallow a woman is based on the type of effort she puts into her looks

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Super Deuce posted:

And as far as vapid goes, I'm referring to the shallowness of all but two characters in the show. They're all flat shallow pieces hitting the exact same note. Nikki we've seen a bit more and, sure, she's capable at her job. However she has the same obsession with appearance everyone else has in the show. I get that it's a theme here, but quite literally everyone involved has an obsession with Jen's (and their own) appearance including her. There has been zero departure from it, yet, making the show feel bland in a lot of regards.

lol "yeah she's shown to be extremely capable but she also likes to look good???"

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
So yea, bad faith readings are the gimmick here. Cool.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Super Deuce, who are some female characters in media that you do like?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

kazil posted:

lol "yeah she's shown to be extremely capable but she also likes to look good???"

Now, now, remember the rules of the Pinched Pee-Pee game. Women who clearly put an effort into their appearance are vapid sluts. However, women with so much as a hair out of place are gross and monstrous. In the Pinched Pee-Pee game women cannot win. Ever.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Nikki is the one that gets Wong in and introduced to Jen. Nikki is the one that gets the settlement between Mr. Immortal and his ex-spouses. Nikki is the one that gets Jen a meeting with the super exclusive costume designer. Hell, she even speaks Chinese.

But sure, she's vapid.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Super Deuce posted:

So yea, bad faith readings are the gimmick here. Cool.

Sorry friend, you used the misogyny word without realizing what it was and the bat signal went out

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Bust Rodd posted:

Super Deuce, who are some female characters in media that you do like?

Are you honestly asking for a binder full of women?

Alright, I guess. Since I've mentioned this show is littered with Tom Haverfords, on Parks and Rec every character is good except Leslie Knope, so that would mean Ann, April, and Donna from the main list, as well as a host of the recurring / side characters.

Let's jump to Star Trek. Literally everyone across all shows pre-Discovery, and a couple later such as certain episodes with Tilly, Detmer, and half of Georgiou. In Picard, while a departure from the character previously established modern Seven is interesting but while I can't say the plots she's involved in are good, she has character. Lower Decks sucks a lot, but Tendi is nice. I really like the entire cast of SNW.

Party Down is an ensemble show, probably my favorite. Casey and Constance are both superb.

Curb was mentioned. Cheryl and Susie are perfect. As well as... well basically everyone.

I honestly can't believe that people are reading "the show is full of one note vapid characters" as "only the women on the show are vapid". Especially considering I already explained what I meant by it with examples of men on the show that also lack interest and depth.

Kaedric posted:

Sorry friend, you used the misogyny word without realizing what it was and the bat signal went out

I think it's more that people just really can't take that people don't like things they like. Yes, misogynists call women vapid just for being women. Curiously, that's clearly not what I did, though. Context matters. It's not an indictment of certain characters sexes on the show. It's about the writing of the characters on the show. They're nearly all the same.

Super Deuce fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 22, 2022

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Rarity posted:

At this point in the MCU's lifespan I just don't bat an eyelid when someone shows up with superpowers. What's that you're immortal yawn. Yeah you've got super strength big whoop, you and half of Manhattan. You can fly who cares come back when I get bitten by a radioactive someone that gives a gently caress

I bet also having the Avengers save the world made it alot easier for random powered people to come out. At least you'd get the benefit of the doubt as a maybe super hero instead of torches and pitchforks. The Avengers are the Will and Grace of metahumans.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I, uh, loved this episode. 10/10. No notes. Please don't pinch my peepee.

(The best part of the episode was Jen eating the candy off of candied nuts.)

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 22, 2022

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Nikki is a paralegal that is punching way above her weight; if someone calls her vapid, I simply cannot take their opinion seriously.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Super Deuce posted:

Are you honestly asking for a binder full of women?

Alright, I guess. Since I've mentioned this show is littered with Tom Haverfords, on Parks and Rec every character is good except Leslie Knope, so that would mean Ann, April, and Donna from the main list, as well as a host of the recurring / side characters.

Let's jump to Star Trek. Literally everyone across all shows pre-Discovery, and a couple later such as certain episodes with Tilly, Detmer, and half of Georgiou. In Picard, while a departure from the character previously established modern Seven is interesting but far I can't say the plots she's involved in are good, she has character. Lower Decks sucks a lot, but Tendi is nice. I really like the entire cast of SNW.

Party Down is an ensemble show, probably my favorite. Casey and Constance are both superb.

Curb was mentioned. Cheryl and Susie are perfect. As well as... well basically everyone.

I honestly can't believe that people are reading "the show is full of one note vapid characters" as "only the women on the show are vapid". Especially considering I already explained what I meant by it with examples of men on the show that also lack interest and depth.

I'll admit I'm being a little hard on you, but it's just funny to me that in a show that's about how people get judged only on their appearances, which you admit you recognize as a theme, you're judging the characters based only on their appearances. Like literally you say Nikki is capable at her job, but since considers appearances to be important too, she's vapid. There's a reason these characters are so focused on how other people see them, and it's because they are aware of people judging them exactly the way you're doing, and that's funny to me. Like Pug, Pug isn't a sneakerhead because he's just so vain, he wants to use them to show off his status and success as a shortcut to respect and acceptance. (i'm reading into it a bit there, but I think that fits with how he's been shown to be both ambitious and slightly unsure of himself)

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 22, 2022

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Why did Jonathan need to be resuscitated? What did they do to that poor groomsman?

lol DJ In-Ched-ible Hulk

and Nikki's fake profile was into Bigfoot, bitcoin, and UFOs lol

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
There's an irony in how mad the chuds are that Daredevil wasn't in this episode and how Daredevil is probably going to help Jen take down some chuds when he does show up.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
if Daredevil and She-Hulk hook up and become an in-universe power couple I will recant every trespass against Lord Mickey and his golden idols and I'll watch The Eternals and mail him $8 (the cost of a matinee at my local theater).

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

if Daredevil and She-Hulk hook up and become an in-universe power couple I will recant every trespass against Lord Mickey and his golden idols and I'll watch The Eternals and mail him $8 (the cost of a matinee at my local theater).

Feige has said that there's going to be a street level focus and Jen doesn't seem like the type to go off into space.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Firebert posted:

Nikki is a paralegal that is punching way above her weight; if someone calls her vapid, I simply cannot take their opinion seriously.

Oh yeah. In that world if I had a super-person problem I'd hire Jen just to get Nikki on the case. It was three eps back but she also pulled Wong with a book cheesecake pic.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Everyone posted:

Oh yeah. In that world if I had a super-person problem I'd hire Jen just to get Nikki on the case. It was three eps back but she also pulled Wong with a book cheesecake pic.

Mr. Immortal might not be so quick to recommend GLK&H.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

live with fruit posted:

Mr. Immortal might not be so quick to recommend GLK&H.

Maybe not, but he got out of that situation with much of his money and without going to prison for multiple accounts of fraud.

Also, one of the fun bits of this show is Jameela Jamil's Twitter celebrating Titania.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Everyone posted:

Maybe not, but he got out of that situation with much of his money and without going to prison for multiple accounts of fraud.

Also, one of the fun bits of this show is Jameela Jamil's Twitter celebrating Titania.

Yes but he had to make eye contact with a woman.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Like have any of you seen what's out there lately?

I mentioned loot and the side characters are more than 1-note jokey people. You can't just dismiss things boiling down to "turn off your brain".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktzAq7wjJgs

This show looks dire lol

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
When does Titania make a heel turn to good guy, thus paving the way for Jameel Jamil and Iman Vellani team ups? I’m imagining a two-parter where they just have a fun day at Six Flags.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Marsupial Ape posted:

When does Titania make a heel turn to good guy, thus paving the way for Jameel Jamil and Iman Vellani team ups? I’m imagining a two-parter where they just have a fun day at Six Flags.

She'll team up with Jen to take down King Chud.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Super Deuce posted:

Well, first, nobody is acting as a "bitch" except for, I guess the bridesmaids. Though I wouldn't use that word, they certainly were horribly rude in the manner someone who uses terms like that may.

Again, I'm enjoying the show. It's just really tiring having everyone be Tom Haverford.

what is happening in this thread

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jim the Nickel posted:

Lmao, my comment about the pacing was something I've brought up in this thread before, things just Happen so quickly, then move immediately to the next plot point without any room to breathe. There's not a single reason on planet earth that this episode should only be 24 minutes long so why not spend more time on making me care about the characters?

Why have Patti Harrison be a dickhead to Jen the whole episode for seemingly no reason and then not try and wrap it in any real way? Why have Titania show up at all, nothing happened there to move her storyline along, she just shows up and says Jen u suck, fight me.

The subplot was fine, although the lawyer stuff still isn't very well-written. Plus, I get the "everyone other than Jen sounds vapid" complaint because it's pretty true, all the dialogue is peppered in with these little unfunny "um, so that just happened"-level lines. And much like Pug being a sneakerhead isn't a personality trait, neither is "being really good at negotiating", we still don't know enough about Nikki to care about her.

Everyone's so got drat flat and boring and the show's just like no, don't you see, the mean lawyer sassily said "that's enough questions" when Nikki tried to bond, isn't that funny? Oh poo poo, we're coming dangerously close to the 25 minute mark, uh anyway, episode over! See credit illustrations for easter eggs!

*edit* lmao like ten people posted in the time it took to write this, time to peace out of this thread for a while ps madisynn suxxx

At least for Patti it was clear that she was faking her collegiality with She Hulk due to all the people that were watching and taping her.

Titania showed up because she is an antagonist and has real reasons to not like She Hulk. The story ends with her losing her fight and embarrasing herself. Why am I explaining things that happened on screen.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Shageletic posted:

This show looks dire lol

It takes a bit to get going but a few episodes in you start connecting with the cast and everything they present. Already been greenlit for season 2. Everyone is amazing in it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

It takes a bit to get going but a few episodes in you start connecting with the cast and everything they present. Already been greenlit for season 2. Everyone is amazing in it.

I mean I'll give it a shot based on the cast....eventually. But I didn't like the trailer. I just thought it was funny you were using it as primae facie evidence that She Hulk blows, when to me it looks like very different shows.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

live with fruit posted:

She'll team up with Jen to take down King Chud.

I’m waiting for friendless chuds to complain about female characters resolving conflict by talking and understanding as ‘not realistic’.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
In the absence of any explanation for Titania's powers, I simply choose to go with her comic book origin until I hear otherwise, which is DOOM decided eh, gently caress it, let's give this rando broad from Denver superpowers. DOOM is never wrong.

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Shageletic posted:

At least for Patti it was clear that she was faking her collegiality with She Hulk due to all the people that were watching and taping her.

Titania showed up because she is an antagonist and has real reasons to not like She Hulk. The story ends with her losing her fight and embarrasing herself. Why am I explaining things that happened on screen.

You’re right, my bad for expecting a clear motivation, “she is an antagonist” is enough.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
She literally said that she's mad at Jen for "stealing" the She Hulk name back.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

She literally said that she's mad at Jen for "stealing" the She Hulk name back.

And then showed jealousy at Jen basically getting fame she doesn't want by accident while Titania has to grift non-stop for even a bit of it. Just because she doesn't have an origin for her powers doesn't mean she doesn't have motivation. Those two things are not synonyms, even if one usually feeds the other.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Marsupial Ape posted:

drat you. Now I want Jameela and Iman as Big Titania and Little Titania.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

tsob posted:

And then showed jealousy at Jen basically getting fame she doesn't want by accident while Titania has to grift non-stop for even a bit of it. Just because she doesn't have an origin for her powers doesn't mean she doesn't have motivation. Those two things are not synonyms, even if one usually feeds the other.

Considering that the shadow bad apparently wants to steal Jen's Hulkness, gotta think Titania got her powers from some sort of black market SSS or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I don’t give a poo poo how she got her powers, so idk where that’s coming from? I dont think it’s a stretch to wonder why she attacked Jen in court in the first place? Why did she trademark the name? What has she actually done besides show up and “be an antagonist”? Nothing so far on the show has given me a reason to care and she just keeps showing up, looking hot and being like “I hate you.” I still stand by they’re not bothering to give most characters on this show, Titania included, interesting or compelling motivations, and some people itt don’t really seem to be bothered by that.