Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's a lot of batten. Have you considered just hot gluing the tiles to the roof instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

~Coxy posted:

I had a dream last night that you lived next door to me. Someone came past and complained that you put plastic gutters on your house.

Well you needn't worry about that!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Sir, this isn't a macdonalds

I was trying to find data on average mcd restaurant site prices as maybe the house would be worth more sold of as that but can't find anything.

I did discover that living near a mcdonalds lowers your house price more than any other high street brand, 24%. So if I must bankrupt myself at least i'm also loving over the neighbours as I do so.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

That graceful L-shape, the tasteful brickwork...

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

For what it's worth I (a Canadian) would never associate that structure with McDonalds, it's not at all like any one of them I've ever seen.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I also thought Pizza Hut when I saw the roofing but when RatJack posted that mcdonalds I was like oh yeah true. v common "new style" ones when they did that big "we do coffee and salads now too!" revamp

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It must be one of a big construction company's default designs. They're loving everywhere and can have almost anything in them.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

There is a Farmfoods with the same building design next to a McDonald's in Camborne
Train don't stop there Wednesday's though

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

A lot of people in this thread getting themselves uninvited to the (drive thru) house warming.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Does it need warming because it arrived frozen?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

A lot of people in this thread getting themselves uninvited to the (drive thru) house warming.

Hush little babby, your grand design lacks the mid roof angle change.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I’m curious, how will you be heating the house? Gas fired heating? Oil? Tesla?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Do geothermal and dig some more holes!

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Steakandchips posted:

I’m curious, how will you be heating the house? Gas fired heating? Oil? Tesla?

Wheelbarrows of cash?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Saw a blue Tesla run a red light earlier and thought of you 99

e: wrong thread, still relevant

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

It was always intended to be a ground source heat pump. But not vertical boring, a horizontal ground array. I have plenty of space and a reliable digger to do a lot of the work myself. I have the conduits ready laid under the house for the header pipes to connect the ground array into the plant room to feed the underfloor heating.

But its all bullshit.

No one will sell me any of the kit, they want like 40k to just do it all for me... NO. Everything the UK government has done to "encourage" this kind of technology though grants and feed in tariffs and all that bullshit has just created an OPEC style monopoly closed market where the installation companies know you can only get the money back if you use them and how much you can get so they set their prices at exactly so you might maybe make your money back after 10 years or whatever. It ruins everything.

So I've tried to do it myself and buy the kit myself from abroad. Brexit!

Also in the UK you can't install a system that is capable of providing cooling as well as heating, even though its loving obvious this is how it should work and we are currently in a never ending year on year heatwave, and still claim any of the rebates so I cant work with any of the accepted installers.

Also also the pipe I need to lay in the ground array is like, despite just pretty much being pipe, completely unheard of to all builders merchants. I finally found one who I sat in his office whilst he phones round and found a guy. We discussed it and he said no mate, not happening. Unless youre a major developer buying several miles of it (i wanted 400m) youre not getting it.

The whole thing is a loving scam.

So I'll just get the cheapest air source heatpump I can. which sucks.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Ratjaculation posted:

Saw a blue Tesla run a red light earlier and thought of you 99

e: wrong thread, still relevant

theyve changed the software, I mean they always change the software, but recently. So they let you have autopilot until you misbehave, then they take it away from you for that journey. You have to stop and reset to get it back. Anyway it used to be set at 100mph, now its 90. Which is really easy to break. So hit 90 once and thats it the car won't steer for you anymore. rubbish.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ah, government.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Conservative government structuring building energy efficiency incentives so that it ends as basically a corporate subsidy by funneling the money into the pockets of lovely, corrupt contractors? I'd never.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Tesla storage at the power plant up the road went up in flames yesterday and I thought of you.

https://www.ksbw.com/article/fire-battery-storage-facility-moss-landing/41293594

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It was always intended to be a ground source heat pump. But not vertical boring, a horizontal ground array. I have plenty of space and a reliable digger to do a lot of the work myself. I have the conduits ready laid under the house for the header pipes to connect the ground array into the plant room to feed the underfloor heating.

But its all bullshit.

No one will sell me any of the kit, they want like 40k to just do it all for me... NO. Everything the UK government has done to "encourage" this kind of technology though grants and feed in tariffs and all that bullshit has just created an OPEC style monopoly closed market where the installation companies know you can only get the money back if you use them and how much you can get so they set their prices at exactly so you might maybe make your money back after 10 years or whatever. It ruins everything.

So I've tried to do it myself and buy the kit myself from abroad. Brexit!

Also in the UK you can't install a system that is capable of providing cooling as well as heating, even though its loving obvious this is how it should work and we are currently in a never ending year on year heatwave, and still claim any of the rebates so I cant work with any of the accepted installers.

Also also the pipe I need to lay in the ground array is like, despite just pretty much being pipe, completely unheard of to all builders merchants. I finally found one who I sat in his office whilst he phones round and found a guy. We discussed it and he said no mate, not happening. Unless youre a major developer buying several miles of it (i wanted 400m) youre not getting it.

The whole thing is a loving scam.

So I'll just get the cheapest air source heatpump I can. which sucks.

Crazy AF if you ask me. Here you could get the heat pump for 7-9000 euros (I like Nibe) and the rest should be like 1-3000 euros maybe (winging it). Heck our system with the borehole cost 16k and that was considered to be on the more expensive side of things.

I bet you could buy this stuff easily in Sweden, getting to the UK is another matter.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

Crazy AF if you ask me. Here you could get the heat pump for 7-9000 euros (I like Nibe) and the rest should be like 1-3000 euros maybe (winging it). Heck our system with the borehole cost 16k and that was considered to be on the more expensive side of things.

I bet you could buy this stuff easily in Sweden, getting to the UK is another matter.

Nibe is one I was looking at. Our quotes were over £30k.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ok a quick google tells me you can get a ferry from Immingham to Gothenburg for a relaxing 26 hour cruise.

Rent the largest van you can take on the ferry and have an order ready for pickup in Sweden? This seems like an awesome idea to me, the person not having to do it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Customs would be a poo poo. They always are.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

You could have your autopilot go 100mph and you’re upset you can’t do that anymore???? Most insane part of this thread

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Do you pay VAT on building materials? Maybe customs wouldn't give a poo poo.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

goatface posted:

Do you pay VAT on building materials?

Yes.

goatface posted:

Maybe customs wouldn't give a poo poo.

lmao

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

goatface posted:

Do you pay VAT on building materials? Maybe customs wouldn't give a poo poo.

You do, and also he'd need to pay import duty.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Fair enough. I had some vague memory of them reduced rating or nilling it to encourage house building. Might have been one of those tory pipe dreams.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

If you are VAT registered the answer is slightly more complicated depending on the type of building you're constructing but if you're some random punter buying supplies then gently caress you pay the VAT

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I pay VAT on materials. But I can claim it all back at the end as a self builder. It has to be a house for you and there's other criteria. You only get the opportunity to submit the claim once apparently and if there's anything even slightly wrong with it they reject the whole claim and that's it. And you probably go to prison for fraud or something.

The thinking is that you don't pay vat on buying a house, so you shouldn't on creating a new one. But you have to pay it on services and stuff. And transport. So it's really handy when invoices don't separate delivery out as then you can get the vat on that too.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
I’m starting to think building your own house is more hassle than it’s worth tbh

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Didn't know about that one, good luck and hope you don't end up in a debtor's prison

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i have no idea for example how the piling works in terms of claiming back the vat? I paid someone else to do it. I think they have to be zero vat rated so technically all their materials came vat free already i guess.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Looking at section 11 of the construction VAT notice they will probably have zero rated it: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/buildings-and-construction-vat-notice-708#section11

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Ive just sold on ebay the leftover thermolite blocks. 300 blocks.

I've sold them for less than they cost now but more than I paid for them!

Hardly game changing but a small win.

I'll have to handball them into this guys little van on sunday though lol.

Theyre lightweight but they're twice the weight limit for his van, although they will volume wise just fit. Shows you how light these blocks are.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Upgrade posted:

You could have your autopilot go 100mph and you’re upset you can’t do that anymore???? Most insane part of this thread

mods namechange please:

NotJustANumber89

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Theyre lightweight but they're twice the weight limit for his van, although they will volume wise just fit. Shows you how light these blocks are.

Thinking about it this doesnt really show that at all if you're not familiar with loading vans.

But they are very lightweight. like normal blocks you'd only get a few in up to ankle height. with these you could fill the entire van up to the ceiling and its only twice overweight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Plan Exuberant Elk (buy heat pump stuff in Sweden, import it yourself via ferry) seems at least vaguely practical, especially if you're willing to accept the simplified (more expensive) tariff schedule and pre-declare + pre-pay everything so you have parts, a bill of sale, and completed customs paperwork that all match when you show up at the border. It would also be a new entertaining boondoggle for the thread, possibly with exciting pictures of scenic scandinavia!