Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

let's gooooo

Event #26

https://www.17lands.com/draft/bd39e52d21494182b253e63a4453a901
UW seemed incredibly open and I just cruised down that lane. It's just about tweaking what to leave in the board out of all these playables. I am guessing that playing one of the filler two drops or Stall for Time isn't worth cutting anything in the main? 2 Ertai's Scorns + 1 Essence Scatter, and 1 Impulse + 1 Silver Scrutiny feels like a decent enough balance to hold up mana on the opponent's turn. I have one of three Heroic Charges since I don't think I'd be using it to full effectiveness, same with Argivian Phalanx? I wonder if playing an instant/sorcery would actually be better than Citizen's Arrest in my gameplan -- synergy versus unconditional removal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

You have no creatures, right? I would at least add Wall and Drake for probably Charge and a Destroy Evil. Even with four Terrors those just seem super mid

e: both Impedes probably belong in here, for both Scorns honestly, or maybe Impulse. Some combination of all this useless advice!

Toozler fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 22, 2022

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Toozler posted:

You have no creatures, right? I would at least add Wall and Drake for probably Charge and a Destroy Evil. Even with four Terrors those just seem super mid

e: both Impedes probably belong in here, for both Scorns honestly, or maybe Impulse. Some combination of all this useless advice!

why remove a copy of the 2nd most powerful removal spell in the set? and a instant to boot, so it also powers our terrors. agreed with removing the charge, its just going to get stuck in hand forever which you really want to avoid in a deck with 4 tolarian terrors. I would like to put more cheap spells in, but the impedes are generally bad and even worse in a controlling deck like this one. I think the negate might be fine here? it could also get stuck in hand which is bad, but the stall for time seems borderline useless. I guess its one of those 3 spells (impeded, stall, negate) over the charge but im not really sure which one is the least worst one

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Which streamer is playing that mono-blue Haughty Djinn deck? I don't know how many times I've run into it and it just doesn't seem very good.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Rap Game Goku posted:

Which streamer is playing that mono-blue Haughty Djinn deck? I don't know how many times I've run into it and it just doesn't seem very good.

You need a big brain to play it, and it gets annihilated vs. aggro. It's one of the most popular decks at the moment. CGB ran it but he definitely wasn't the first.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Toozler posted:

babypolis posted:

why remove a copy of the 2nd most powerful removal spell in the set? and a instant to boot, so it also powers our terrors. agreed with removing the charge, its just going to get stuck in hand forever which you really want to avoid in a deck with 4 tolarian terrors. I would like to put more cheap spells in, but the impedes are generally bad and even worse in a controlling deck like this one. I think the negate might be fine here? it could also get stuck in hand which is bad, but the stall for time seems borderline useless. I guess its one of those 3 spells (impeded, stall, negate) over the charge but im not really sure which one is the least worst one

Interesting, yeah I have gone 1-1 so far and thinking about how things have played, I've gone -1 Plains, Charge, and Arrest / +1 Island, Negate, Wall.

Cutting Charge because I could never use it well, makes sense, and Raff's second ability lets me do half of that anyway. Cutting Arrest for Wall might be a bit wackier, but if I cut both double white pips the 10-7 mana base should be rock-solid, and I don't know how many threats Arrest would cover that aren't handled by the 2 Destroys and the 3 counterspells.

Wall has abysmal stats in general, but in UW it's actually borderline at 57.6%. Maybe it's being carried by the Chaplain deck lol, but I can see the play pattern working -- drop it to stuff early aggro so I can more easily draw-go, a defensive body to tap with Raff's ability, and I can loot away the Negate if it doesn't play in the matchup lol

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Could I get a draft critique please? I'm doing pretty well so far (2-0 in Traditional), but I'm knackered and thus finally have the time/patience to offer a deck for review before the draft is over.

Deck: https://www.17lands.com/deck/3aee18da440e4a7f9ca0895e508fd373
Draft: https://www.17lands.com/draft/3aee18da440e4a7f9ca0895e508fd373

This format is super interesting, but it's hard as balls to actually draft well. So any feedback is greatfully accepted.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Whooping Crabs posted:

You need a big brain to play it, and it gets annihilated vs. aggro. It's one of the most popular decks at the moment. CGB ran it but he definitely wasn't the first.

I tried it verbatim and hated it. I ditched a few spells and added some Delvers and Terrors, now it feels much better. So far my only L's have been to Ivy+Virtuoso, but I blame that more on being on the draw and the shuffler not hooking me up with appropriate counterspells/bounces.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Interesting, yeah I have gone 1-1 so far and thinking about how things have played, I've gone -1 Plains, Charge, and Arrest / +1 Island, Negate, Wall.

Cutting Charge because I could never use it well, makes sense, and Raff's second ability lets me do half of that anyway. Cutting Arrest for Wall might be a bit wackier, but if I cut both double white pips the 10-7 mana base should be rock-solid, and I don't know how many threats Arrest would cover that aren't handled by the 2 Destroys and the 3 counterspells.

Wall has abysmal stats in general, but in UW it's actually borderline at 57.6%. Maybe it's being carried by the Chaplain deck lol, but I can see the play pattern working -- drop it to stuff early aggro so I can more easily draw-go, a defensive body to tap with Raff's ability, and I can loot away the Negate if it doesn't play in the matchup lol

The wall is pretty good in this shell imo, I think I also want 17 lands. Arrest I would only cut if you had more unconditional removal, definitely cut Charge. If I was considering a spell from the SB over the 17th land it would be Stall > Negate > Impede. Stall is another cantrip Terror discounter and is good in race situations with the Figments.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Interesting what's the tipping point between 16 and 17 lands here? My first thought was that with no splash and with a high end of 4 or 5 it would be a clear 16.

I guess I've been watching too much Jim Davis, he will take any excuse to run 16 lol

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Not exactly Arena related, but I've got a collection of a few hundred Magic cards that I played in the 90s. I sort of want to sell what I can and get rid of the rest, but it is really overwhelming to try to find some way to catalog them. Is there any sane method to it, or do I just need to dive in there, card by card?

Most of them aren't worth anything except my six dual lands, which I can't tell is if they're Revised or Unlimited.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The Magic thread in Trad Games can get you sorted out

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Deck critique request. https://sealeddeck.tech/lK65djPsag

If I had the rare wildcards, I think I'd shift to Mirror Box to leverage multiple copies of Jadar, Elas, and Adeline for extra churn.

Those Rites of Oblivion have been doing work, though. None of that bullshit "I Borrowed Time your Borrowed Time" bullshit.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Death of Rats posted:

Could I get a draft critique please? I'm doing pretty well so far (2-0 in Traditional), but I'm knackered and thus finally have the time/patience to offer a deck for review before the draft is over.

This format is super interesting, but it's hard as balls to actually draft well. So any feedback is greatfully accepted.

Quirion Beastcaller is amazing and I definitely would have tried to stay in green, Sengir is not a card that would pull me into black and especially not that early, maybe if I already had Cult Conscript I would think it playable as a later pick. I probably would have gone Iconoclast / Gaea's Might and a fistful of Lookouts over the black. But if the deck works, it works lol

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Death of Rats posted:

Gonna try my first attempt at an in depth review as I go here

P1p5: not sure this pick matters a ton but I would’ve probably picked iconoclast or bone splinters here. Not really hyped about anything in this pack though so it’s a bit of a wash
P1p6: I like this one, of the cost reducers I find necromass really hard to get later. At this point I’m thinking UB control maybe with a splash?
P2p1: I am not sure it’s correct but I would’ve taken Talos Lookout here since they give you card selection and fuel for leech, necromass, and terror. That said you do want some more spells and scrutiny is solid so this comes down to pref I think.
P2p9: nice the lookout comes back on the wheel, that scrutiny pick paid off!
P3p4: easy land or terror over the figment. Doesn’t block too well and you’re in for a long game deck
P3p5: I’m not a fan of uurg in these kinds of decks. I find it typically doesn’t do what you’d hope when you want it. Another war leech though, that’s right up your alley. Buuut there’s also the land, and I think ultimately with ur org repossession and the miasma, I’d land on the BG or even the GW land which would fuel both your kicker color needs.

Deck looks good to me though! The few changes I have throughout the draft aren’t game changers by any means and I think you found the open lane at your seat and capitalized on it well. In the final deck I’d make a couple changes

+1 splatter goblin
+1 gibberish barricade
-1 haunting figment
-1 braids frightful return

I like goblin over figment as it does a lot more to slow my opponents down and that -1/-1 can out in a lot of work. Gibberish barricade is just a good card.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Death of Rats posted:

p1p2 I like talas lookout over strider and the stats agree with me. dunno why but strider rarely seems impactful for/against me
p1p5 sojurner is gas and you have a very strong incentive to be green already. prioritize good two drops over good 5 drops; every 5 drop is good so if you dont take connoisseur here you can just replace it with anything else and not notice the difference
p1p8 lookout is significantly better than leech
p2p5 rager
p3p3 rager again. we have very few spells and a few terrors already. going be a reeeal slow game if you draw multiples
p3p5 mire lets you play repossession. taking another green card means you have no fixing and can't actually case said green cards

deck: play deck two, swap uurg and a terror for splatter goblin and vivisector. your build is super greedy with only three 2 drop creatures. don't get fooled by uurg being a gold legendary uncommon, it's winrate is mid and it's a bad card to splash because when you want the lifegain or want to pump it's power you aren't going to get multiple activations in a turn

barricade is good too maybe you can make room for that. possibly cut a braids because it's a little clunky without sacrifice fodder

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
I 'm thankful to the matchmaker for not pairing me against mono black because I really want this WG go wide token deck to work. It is super fun to trigger all three modes on gala greeters on your turn and then do it again on your opponents turn with resolute reinforcements.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Speaking of WG wanting to not give a drat about mono Black, there's a Rite of Harmony enchantments brew that can utterly farm it.

https://twitter.com/CBotelhoMagic/status/1572756033482919936

He sideboards into disdainful stroke since the deck has big trouble with Farewell or decks running Titan/Fable but the deck runs very well against the meta otherwise and can be very explosive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS5DTNI21Z8

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think Jim might be losing here

Edit: Jim getting completely hosed by Chaplain twice has reminded me of what "threats can't be handled by Destroy Evil or counterspells"

His experience drafting an Orzhov deck that looks like it has good cards and does what the color pair is supposed to do is pretty much the same as mine, I think it's a trap

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 23, 2022

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

BioThermo posted:

Speaking of WG wanting to not give a drat about mono Black, there's a Rite of Harmony enchantments brew that can utterly farm it.

https://twitter.com/CBotelhoMagic/status/1572756033482919936

He sideboards into disdainful stroke since the deck has big trouble with Farewell or decks running Titan/Fable but the deck runs very well against the meta otherwise and can be very explosive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS5DTNI21Z8

You know what? I think I am glad that Teleportation Circle rotated out of Standard.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

His experience drafting an Orzhov deck that looks like it has good cards and does what the color pair is supposed to do is pretty much the same as mine, I think it's a trap

WB has the third best winrate on 17lands behind RW and GW. There's plenty of removal + some creatures that are annoying to block like the knights or the phyrexian horse + take up the shield to make it even more annoying. Add in some recursion and value creatures and it's pretty decent imo.

However I went to look up some more detailed stats and many of the top cards in WB are defenders so maybe this pair is carried by the defenders deck to some extent and I'm talking crap

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The defender deck is real and it's my friend. Tho timing is key when slamming down your chaplain. Have had some close ones lol

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Node posted:

Not exactly Arena related, but I've got a collection of a few hundred Magic cards that I played in the 90s. I sort of want to sell what I can and get rid of the rest, but it is really overwhelming to try to find some way to catalog them. Is there any sane method to it, or do I just need to dive in there, card by card?

Most of them aren't worth anything except my six dual lands, which I can't tell is if they're Revised or Unlimited.

look up a card scanning app on your phone, like the TCGplayer app or Delver Lens. they tell you what card you have and how much it's worth, which makes it very easy to compare and separate cards out

you can also head over to the the sa mart MTG buy/sell thread for advice and questions on how to sell them. people might even send you offers in the thread if you show pictures of your collection, it's very likely you have some random rear end commons from the early 90s that are worth a pretty penny

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
made a silly deck, and opponent was nice enough to let me Do The Thing instead of concede

cats and dogs living together! total chaos!

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
Threw together whatever good black disruption/removal I had into a Nashi brawl deck and went hunting for Jodahs. Worked first time, ripped his Elspeth off the top and then sent Nashi flying to get his Jin-Gitaxias off the top. What if all along the card advantage... was in the opponent's face?

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Kashuno posted:

Gonna try my first attempt at an in depth review as I go here

P1p5: not sure this pick matters a ton but I would’ve probably picked iconoclast or bone splinters here. Not really hyped about anything in this pack though so it’s a bit of a wash
P1p6: I like this one, of the cost reducers I find necromass really hard to get later. At this point I’m thinking UB control maybe with a splash?
P2p1: I am not sure it’s correct but I would’ve taken Talos Lookout here since they give you card selection and fuel for leech, necromass, and terror. That said you do want some more spells and scrutiny is solid so this comes down to pref I think.
P2p9: nice the lookout comes back on the wheel, that scrutiny pick paid off!
P3p4: easy land or terror over the figment. Doesn’t block too well and you’re in for a long game deck
P3p5: I’m not a fan of uurg in these kinds of decks. I find it typically doesn’t do what you’d hope when you want it. Another war leech though, that’s right up your alley. Buuut there’s also the land, and I think ultimately with ur org repossession and the miasma, I’d land on the BG or even the GW land which would fuel both your kicker color needs.

Deck looks good to me though! The few changes I have throughout the draft aren’t game changers by any means and I think you found the open lane at your seat and capitalized on it well. In the final deck I’d make a couple changes

+1 splatter goblin
+1 gibberish barricade
-1 haunting figment
-1 braids frightful return

I like goblin over figment as it does a lot more to slow my opponents down and that -1/-1 can out in a lot of work. Gibberish barricade is just a good card.

little munchkin posted:

p1p2 I like talas lookout over strider and the stats agree with me. dunno why but strider rarely seems impactful for/against me
p1p5 sojurner is gas and you have a very strong incentive to be green already. prioritize good two drops over good 5 drops; every 5 drop is good so if you dont take connoisseur here you can just replace it with anything else and not notice the difference
p1p8 lookout is significantly better than leech
p2p5 rager
p3p3 rager again. we have very few spells and a few terrors already. going be a reeeal slow game if you draw multiples
p3p5 mire lets you play repossession. taking another green card means you have no fixing and can't actually case said green cards

deck: play deck two, swap uurg and a terror for splatter goblin and vivisector. your build is super greedy with only three 2 drop creatures. don't get fooled by uurg being a gold legendary uncommon, it's winrate is mid and it's a bad card to splash because when you want the lifegain or want to pump it's power you aren't going to get multiple activations in a turn

barricade is good too maybe you can make room for that. possibly cut a braids because it's a little clunky without sacrifice fodder

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, game 1 was a mull to a dubious 6, and game 2 got stuck on 2 lands to turn 5.

So while the advice was excellent I didn't get much chance to actually play.

I think Uurg is a better card in a graveyard/control shell than the numbers say - it's a wall that let's you scry for free every turn (and fills the yard for Terror/Necromass). But it's bad outside of the graveyard based control plan, and you should almost never eat your lands with it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

elbkaida posted:

WB has the third best winrate on 17lands behind RW and GW. There's plenty of removal + some creatures that are annoying to block like the knights or the phyrexian horse + take up the shield to make it even more annoying. Add in some recursion and value creatures and it's pretty decent imo.

However I went to look up some more detailed stats and many of the top cards in WB are defenders so maybe this pair is carried by the defenders deck to some extent and I'm talking crap

Yeah I think WB Chaplain (since Barricade is a great defender and Blight Pile is ok for it) is probably good. But gameplans built around the knights or the gold legends seem to get housed by the other deck archetypes? It always feels like there's this tension between going wide and sacrificing stuff that always keeps your board smaller than a lot of opponents and with smaller creatures. You'll get shut out by bird tokens or green stompy, and you have few options of going through the air. It's also extremely mana hungry for marginal benefits?

Limited Level-Ups recently called out Aron as one of those cards that reads like it could be powerful but actually is a dud. You can't attack with it and use its ability, and you have to spend mana and sacrifice a creature to do anything, and even if it's just a token, you're making your board smaller, so your board already has to be pretty big for it to be worthwhile, but your board keeps getting smaller because your creatures are dying?

Elas and Phyrexian Missionary are probably good for splashing but overall hmmm

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

wei posted:

The wall is pretty good in this shell imo, I think I also want 17 lands. Arrest I would only cut if you had more unconditional removal, definitely cut Charge. If I was considering a spell from the SB over the 17th land it would be Stall > Negate > Impede. Stall is another cantrip Terror discounter and is good in race situations with the Figments.

4-3, staying relatively pozzy, even though I probably could have gone longer if I didn't end things on a complete punt and let opp win with the most obvious Gaea's Might in the world lol

It was honestly a pretty tough gameplan for me to navigate since I'm so impatient and get sucked into bad combats in early turns when I should just try to drag things out. Utilizing Raff is pretty difficult if I'm tapping creatures lol. But if I did manage to get to the lategame, 3-4 Tolarian Terrors closed things out nicely. I was actually going to say that Raff didn't really do much but then I won a game with the backbreaking sequence of drawing a card off blanking their removal, then drawing a card off hitting them with removal lol

Is this when I switch to BO3 to dodge the grindiest competition lol

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
This is definitely the worst sealed pool I popped open for DMU.

https://sealeddeck.tech/eBpEcHLOVf

Bant would be the right choice if my mana fixing wasn't dogshit. Only thing I have going for me are the two tablets. Red and Black are pretty drat weak, too.

I'd be legit pissed off if I opened this at prerelease. :sigh:

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
I had a really weird draft today where I got Jaya P1P1 then couldn't find any sort of lane in the first pack, stumbled across a chaplain P2 and tried to go for defenders but even getting gifted another chaplain the deck in the end sucked rear end because it was just a weird mishmash of W,U,R. https://www.17lands.com/draft/19a78780beb24bea94fa3325b2910a29 Looking back at the draft I really have no idea where I was supposed to go, maybe UG splashing either W or R?

Izno
Sep 10, 2010
I am desperate to play some jank superfriends lists involving urza assembles the titans so if you've got something spicy please let me know.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Izno posted:

I am desperate to play some jank superfriends lists involving urza assembles the titans so if you've got something spicy please let me know.
It doesn't get much jankier than this.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I ran into a standard Esper Control that played so many walkers... i assume that saga would be good in there lol

Off the top of my head I remember seeing Kaito, Emperor, Sunset Teferi, Liliana, Sorin, and the Celestus

e:f,b

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I ran into a standard Esper Control that played so many walkers... i assume that saga would be good in there lol

Off the top of my head I remember seeing Kaito, Emperor, Sunset Teferi, Liliana, Sorin, and the Celestus

e:f,b

The one that sonio just uploaded a few hours ago?
https://aetherhub.com/Deck/-urzas-friends

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh that definitely looks closer to what I played against (no green in it like that Saffron list)

Izno
Sep 10, 2010
These are some great decks. That Jodah one is calling my name but that is a staggering amount of wildcards to blow to lose some games so I might need to hold on and hope that some jank makes it to explorer or historic where I can use some of my existing collection.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

elbkaida posted:

I had a really weird draft today where I got Jaya P1P1 then couldn't find any sort of lane in the first pack, stumbled across a chaplain P2 and tried to go for defenders but even getting gifted another chaplain the deck in the end sucked rear end because it was just a weird mishmash of W,U,R. https://www.17lands.com/draft/19a78780beb24bea94fa3325b2910a29 Looking back at the draft I really have no idea where I was supposed to go, maybe UG splashing either W or R?

I think you got stuck on needing to be white which you really didn't need to be, . P3P1 taking captain's call over Talas Lookout is insane in what seems like it could've been an ok UR spells deck with chaplains and Tura splash. Also back p1p3 I would've taken the speculative terror since Jaya plays so well in UR spells

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

https://twitter.com/fireshoes/status/1573392236540481536?s=46&t=TyRo0kaHlBjRaluhrc_Z4A

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
been on a hot streak lately with 5 trophies in my last 10 drafts, here's some decklists

Lands are being taken pretty early by people in the best of 3 queues so I try to avoid going too hard on mutlicolor stuff. Two main colors, a small splash, and that's all you want unless you have domain payoffs.

A common theme is graveyard recursion, phyrexian missionary is a mythic uncommon and urborg repossession is one of the best commons. The greedy decks struggle with answering big threats repeatedly and aggressive decks struggle with punching through cheap blockers repeatedly. Once you're on that kind of gameplan Eerie Soultender and Writhing Necromass get really good.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

kalel posted:

look up a card scanning app on your phone, like the TCGplayer app or Delver Lens. they tell you what card you have and how much it's worth, which makes it very easy to compare and separate cards out

you can also head over to the the sa mart MTG buy/sell thread for advice and questions on how to sell them. people might even send you offers in the thread if you show pictures of your collection, it's very likely you have some random rear end commons from the early 90s that are worth a pretty penny

Holy poo poo I did not even consider thinking that there was an app that could do it all for me. Thank you.

I'll post in the paper Magic thread if I have any more questions.