Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
Man made horrors beyond my comprehension island, sweet.

My money is on Vegapunk being some kind of android or drone. Between the weird oldtimey speaking translator note and what looks like 'PUNK 02' on the shirt, it seems fishy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

from downtown, bay bee

Paper Lion posted:

bored and rewatching some random chunks of the show because i like finding weird new poo poo to recontextualize, and stumbled onto franky...well, himself stumbling onto this blueprint in vegapunks second lab

edit also his very next line is literally "theres stuff here on everything from battleships to human gene manipulation!" theres simply no way that devil fruits and dna/lineage factor/inherited will arent linked together

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I'm fine with Dr. Vegapunk just straight up being a woman and I don't get why that would be an issue.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

anime was right posted:

this is still one of the greatest pages in all of one piece

The superimposed :thumbsup: is utter genius :allears:

Incredible :lol:

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

anime was right posted:

my guess is hes honestly just completely amoral. doesnt think about the consequences of what he does. at all.

it would be pretty funny if the mediocrity comment means that hes actually from a time with futuristic technology and hes just some random loving guy but compared to now hes a literal ultragenius.

we know vegapunk at least has some sort of moral line, it was one of the reasons they fell out with caesar clown

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
Seems like this chapter is setting up to reveal that Gin was Vegapunk this whole time

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

lih posted:

we know vegapunk at least has some sort of moral line, it was one of the reasons they fell out with caesar clown

Maybe the real reason is simply because Caesar is extremely incompetent at his job.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

alpacaman is the product of a genius

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Endorph posted:

theres the ones enel is hanging out with on the moon
worth noting the moon robots were made by dr. tsukimi, who also comes from vegapunk’s home country of baldimore

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Going through Dressrosa on a reread and I just got to to the bit where Robin gets turned into a toy. Imagine the minutes of palpable relief that the Elder Stars must have felt without knowing why, until they suddenly remember OH poo poo NICO ROBIN EXISTS :allears:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

anime was right posted:

my guess is hes honestly just completely amoral. doesnt think about the consequences of what he does. at all.

it would be pretty funny if the mediocrity comment means that hes actually from a time with futuristic technology and hes just some random loving guy but compared to now hes a literal ultragenius.

If someone in the future had managed to research Toki's fruit and replicate its effect this is not impossible. Or hell, maybe Vegapunk ate Toki's fruit in the future after it reformed.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Cat Machine posted:

worth noting the moon robots were made by dr. tsukimi, who also comes from vegapunk’s home country of baldimore

When did this come up? I don't remember that at all!

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

When did this come up? I don't remember that at all!
Cover story that starts with Ch447. Dr. Tsukimi builds robots who gaze at the moon with him, until one day they see an explosion on its surface that causes Tsukimi to choke on a dumpling in shock. The robots travel to the moon to get revenge on whoever caused the explosion and end up teaming up with Enel.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

Cover story that starts with Ch447. Dr. Tsukimi builds robots who gaze at the moon with him, until one day they see an explosion on its surface that causes Tsukimi to choke on a dumpling in shock. The robots travel to the moon to get revenge on whoever caused the explosion and end up teaming up with Enel.
Oh drat, I forgot Karakuri was the name of the island that Baldimore was on.

The crazy thing about that was that the robots who go to the moon to avenge their creator find a ton of identical robots already on the moon. Where did Baldimore's technology come from?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Well I wasn't expecting to be introduced to Dr Vegapunk this way! I'm guessing there are multiple Vegapunks based on the numbering.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Maybe all the people living on the Island are collectively Vegapunk.

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!

Countblanc posted:

i would seriously be bummed if it turned out the reason vegapunk is sexy is because he's an old pervert.

actually vegapunk is sexy because oda's an old pervert

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Perhaps

Perhaps both

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Hey, Oda's not THAT old :mad:

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Its apparently a lot clearer in the japanese, but Vegapunk is speaking with the accent of an old man. So this is very likely to be either The Vegapunk doing some serious surgery, his brain in a new body, or a clone of him with the same mind but different body.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Vegapunk is a babe and we're all just going to have to accept that.

if this Vegapunk is an android then call me Krillin

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I believe she's the original Vegapunk's offspring just because of the Punk 02 on her jumpsuit. The odd speech patterns are because she's only lived with her dad for most of her life, far away from everyone else.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Kinda want Bonney to be speaking literally and Vegapunk found a way to actually bring the island back from 500 years in the future. All the other Vegapunks can be relatives from different points in time and he just set his family up to create genius after genius.

Edit: The egg on the island can be the shell of the Big Egg why not.

Alternatively, Vegapunk-prime is actually Franky from the future playing a long con.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I hope Vegapunk is the next crew member.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Vegapunk is Franky’s Mom AND Dad

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

hatty posted:

Vegapunk is Franky’s Mom AND Dad

How DARE they abandon Franky

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My man Franky better get his due this arc.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Franky gets a new body that looks like his old body except with a huge pompadour

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
i thought they were gonna harvest Queen’s cyborg parts so Franky could get a powerup like everyone else (except Brook) got in Wano but I guess Franky’s just gonna get super lasers in the Vegapunk island?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I hope the final battle this arc is a giant robot fight where the crew works together like the Oars fight.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope

Eiba posted:

I hope the final battle this arc is a giant robot fight where the crew works together like the Oars fight. the Sunny turns into a giant robot via pirate docking. Robin's position will now be filled by Jimbei

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I hope vegapunk gives franky giant breasts

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

davidHalestorm posted:

Maybe the real reason is simply because Caesar is extremely incompetent at his job.

Nah, it was bc Caesar Clown was making gas weapons which are a no-no to the Marine Science Division?

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

With all the giant monsters we see in One Piece I'm surprised this is the first time we've gotten a "coming up from the depths" shot.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Eiba posted:

I hope the final battle this arc is a giant robot fight where the crew works together like the Oars fight.

the docking sequence will become a reality and each of the strawhats will be operating a mecha built by franky/vegapunk, and this time Robin will cooperate for the sake of her crew

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

really unfair for Oda to make Yamato stay in Wano and then immediately go to the Giant Mecha Island

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Plutonis posted:

Nah, it was bc Caesar Clown was making gas weapons which are a no-no to the Marine Science Division?

Violates the Geneva conventions. probably would cause too many casualties to other marines and civilians.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

anime was right posted:

This was literally my first thought when he said that, except I thought he might be from a time in the past when tech was much farther advanced. That said he probably just has terrible self-confidence.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Person Dyslexic posted:

This was literally my first thought when he said that, except I thought he might be from a time in the past when tech was much farther advanced. That said he probably just has terrible self-confidence.

thats why i said time with futuristic technology, and not the future :) but yeah, seems like the correct line of thinking idk. that or vegapunk has REALLY high standards, which also explains why caesar got fired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

My man Franky better get his due this arc.

:emptyquote: