Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I have got some stumps from recently live fir trees 8” in diameter. Storm took out a big maple which then took out the fir trees. I would like to put some arborvitae in there place. Do I need dig and cut these stumps out before picking up some 3” arborvitae?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Do you want stumps in the middle of your generic suburban arborvitae?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Calidus posted:

I have got some stumps from recently live fir trees 8” in diameter. Storm took out a big maple which then took out the fir trees. I would like to put some arborvitae in there place. Do I need dig and cut these stumps out before picking up some 3” arborvitae?

if you can plant the arborvitae, they should be fine. Their roots will grow around the existing stumps no problem. Do consider that you'll likely be unable to grind or dig out the stumps once the new trees are planted, so it's now or never.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I am being ignorant expecting the arborvitae to hide the stumps in a couple years.

It’s in the back corner of my lot and I am really just trying to put something in to block the 35 mph road. Arborvitae seems like a cost effective choice($32 each at Costco) with the added benefit that they are easy to keep away from power lines.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Calidus posted:

I am being ignorant expecting the arborvitae to hide the stumps in a couple years.

It’s in the back corner of my lot and I am really just trying to put something in to block the 35 mph road. Arborvitae seems like a cost effective choice($32 each at Costco) with the added benefit that they are easy to keep away from power lines.

Will they be in front of the stumps? Eventually they fill in and make a good screen if you space them apart right.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

BigFactory posted:

Will they be in front of the stumps? Eventually they fill in and make a good screen if you space them apart right.

To this point, you could also put some bushy perennials at the base of the arborvitae to help cover up the stumps if that works

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Calidus posted:

sure, sounds like just the ticket. If you want, some hostas or other shade loving plant can help cover them up a bit more.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Hostas ftw

here's my Empress Wu, they are a little more expensive than normal hostas but they take up SPACE

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Hostas rule until the whitetails make chop salad out of them

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Wow love the texture on the leaves ! :swoon:

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Wow love the texture on the leaves ! :swoon:

I had just watered her, but this year she looks absolutely phenomenal. Empress Wu, I think we're on year 3 now!

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

my asparagus fern, which flourished for 3 years, is now turning brown and shedding little needles like crazy. Its conditions haven't changed. what the poo poo, is my question.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
for anyone who doesnt shop there, Aldi has consistently had cool houseplants for a couple months now. i resisted the urge until today when i picked up a coffea arabica lol.

just an fyi, not affiliated w the brand :ninja:

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Also, Costco is a surprisingly good resource for finding some rare variants of house plants. I got a chameleon and raven ZZ there over the summer, so fuckin happy to add them to my plant fam. Also got some sweet snake plants w/ a bunch of white variegation through them, they own bones

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

bagmonkey posted:

Also, Costco is a surprisingly good resource for finding some rare variants of house plants. I got a chameleon and raven ZZ there over the summer, so fuckin happy to add them to my plant fam. Also got some sweet snake plants w/ a bunch of white variegation through them, they own bones

Also a halfway decent source of single and multi-species fruit trees and nice sized coral bark maples.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

Also a halfway decent source of single and multi-species fruit trees and nice sized coral bark maples.

Usually not better than Home Depot/Lowes in my experience, especially if you’re talking about end of season sales and liquidations. I’ve seen/claimed some outrageously underpriced trees that way.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Ok Comboomer posted:

Usually not better than Home Depot/Lowes in my experience, especially if you’re talking about end of season sales and liquidations. I’ve seen/claimed some outrageously underpriced trees that way.

Costco return policy tho! 1 year no questions asked, including houseplants

edit - I say this because last time I returned a lilac to Home Depot, they insisted it was my fault and wasn't covered by the return policy

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
https://www.bananatreesforsale.com/ having a sale rn btw

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

bagmonkey posted:

Costco return policy tho! 1 year no questions asked, including houseplants

edit - I say this because last time I returned a lilac to Home Depot, they insisted it was my fault and wasn't covered by the return policy

Home Depot and Lowes have a 1 year policy for outdoor plants if you have the receipt

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ok Comboomer posted:

Home Depot and Lowes have a 1 year policy for outdoor plants if you have the receipt

Do they give you a new plant or give you your money back? This seems like 'free annuals for life' if you wanted to go to the effort to dig all your annuals after they finished and return them.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Do they give you a new plant or give you your money back? This seems like 'free annuals for life' if you wanted to go to the effort to dig all your annuals after they finished and return them.

Money/store credit back I’m p sure

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Their return policy for plants is at least partially on their website, but their one year guarantee only applies to perennials, trees, and shrubs. I think houseplants are 90 days? As far as I know Home Depot doesn't give a gently caress if you return plants because most or all of their plants are sold on consignment so it only fucks over the nursery. That's also why they don't give a gently caress about drowning hundreds of plants to death, letting hundreds of plants cook in their parking lot, etc.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Alas

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
Wherever you live, it’s probably going to be a great weekend to plant some plants!

https://www.plantmaps.com/

Anybody have any big plans? All I’ve got so far is putting some potted roses into the ground and moving some echinacea.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I have just found out that a major septic rework may be in my future and I am not going to be able to either commence a major relandscaping or plant anything long-term, like a tree. The garden has already been scraped down to the soil; step two was going to be installing terracing and planting.

Pity me. I sure am.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have just found out that a major septic rework may be in my future and I am not going to be able to either commence a major relandscaping or plant anything long-term, like a tree. The garden has already been scraped down to the soil; step two was going to be installing terracing and planting.

Pity me. I sure am.

I will only pity you for a short time. It is much better to find out you need septic work done before planting a super awesome garden than after. It really sounds like much sadness was averted in exchange for needing to delay planting for a while.

My parents had to dig up half of their front garden that they'd worked on for a decade for doing some well drilling work, and it's not quite back to the same place yet a few years later because shrubs and trees don't grow very fast. It's a little crappy now, but I'm really happy you don't have to dig out your established garden, because that's heartbreaking.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

You are completely right, and I will accept your short-term pity gratefully.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I'm another person who can't do anything with their yard/garden.

I hired a landscaper to reshape and regrade my lot and put in a retaining wall so that I had access to the whole thing and can keep the wild parsnip and other weeds down.

An excavator brought in the fill and did the rough shaping back in June. It's the end of September and my yard is still torn to poo poo. The landscaper hasn't done a thing yet except collect a deposit and introduce us to the excavator.

I had hoped to get some trees planted and my raised beds set up before frost and snow set in but that's starting to look questionable.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I got covid so I can't do anything this weekend :negative:

I have a baldhip rose in a container that I've been wanting to take to my garden and I was going to work on killing the diseased monster grapevine that's trying to take over my plot and work on cutting back my native annuals but...alas..

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Do y'all have any tree care resources or Youtube channels you like? Particularly wrt trees in east and central Texas?

I just took a job selling tree care services and they really want me to study up on trees and tree-related things before I start training in a couple of weeks.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I. M. Gei posted:

Do y'all have any tree care resources or Youtube channels you like? Particularly wrt trees in east and central Texas?

I just took a job selling tree care services and they really want me to study up on trees and tree-related things before I start training in a couple of weeks.

https://www.amazon.com/Pirones-Tree-Maintenance-John-Hartman/dp/0195119916 is the standard afaik. Your local library probably has it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'll check my library for it.

Kinda wish it was on Kindle so I could word-search it though.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I spontaneously got an Alocasia Amazonica, any tips on soil mix? That's usually what I overthink and/or mess up. Looking at this, based on some googling:

An example of an easy mix could be potting soil, bark, perlite, and sphagnum moss in equal quantities.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nosre posted:

I spontaneously got an Alocasia Amazonica, any tips on soil mix? That's usually what I overthink and/or mess up. Looking at this, based on some googling:

An example of an easy mix could be potting soil, bark, perlite, and sphagnum moss in equal quantities.

that sounds good, although the potting soil and sphagnum moss are redundant imo

you want the following components in a potting soil:

-inorganic structural element: usually perlite, sometimes sand, baked clay, expanded shale, lava rock, etc
-organic structural element: bark or wood chip, coarse to fine
-water retaining element: sphagnum, compost, coco coir

the organic structural element retains nutrients and moisture and ideally decomposes at the rate at which the roots grow and colonize the pot. The inorganic component holds its space within the soil and provides aeration, keeping it from turning into mud. the water retaining element isnt strictly necessary but is recommended unless you wanna water your plant every day or so.

the smaller these components are, the more water they will retain, ie: you have to water less. The larger they are, the less water they'll hold and you'll have to water more frequently.

Unless you wanna get into the weeds with it, amending a pre-made mix is the easiest way to do it .. potting soil is usually too thick & water retentive, so i get orchid soil (which is mostly bark chips) and mix them together until i'm satisified

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Unless you wanna get into the weeds with it, amending a pre-made mix is the easiest way to do it .. potting soil is usually too thick & water retentive, so i get orchid soil (which is mostly bark chips) and mix them together until i'm satisified

Yeah, I have an Alocasia ×amazonica and it's been doing very nicely for a year or so in whatever poo poo miracle grow puts in their indoor mix cut a bit with their orchid mix which is almost entirely bark.

I'll add that ×amazonica seems particularly prone to spider mites so I'd keep an eye out for that. Also that pot seems kind of small long term.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Thanks both, and well noted about the mites. I'm in the EU so the pre-made mixes you usually see recommended n blogs and youtube are harder to find and/or really expensive, which is why I typically default to having to construct my own.

Apparently Amazonica likes it really airy, maybe that's why the recommendation doubles down on structural elements

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I tend to have a bag of perlite and a bag of vermiculite for whenever I want to change how well it drains. A bag of orchid bark is also nice to have for that purpose.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So before I order this on Amazon (because my library did not have it) I have a question.

How good are the diagrams in this book?

I've read a lot of write-ups about pruning on the internet, and one thing almost all of them have in common is that the pictures are poo poo and it's not often clear what they're trying to convey. Like in this image:

... where the middle and right figures are supposed to show a branch that's too thin for pruning and one that's the right thickness, respectively, but they both look pretty much exactly the same size. Or this image:

... that's supposed to show a before and after of a properly-pruned shrub but they both look almost the same. Like yeah I guess the bottom bush is kinda thinned out if you squint, but you really couldn't have drawn it a little more different than that?

Does the Pirones book have a lot of this kind of poo poo going on, or are the diagrams easier to understand? Or are lovely diagrams just something I have to live with everywhere?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 27, 2022

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Join your local arboretum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I. M. Gei posted:

So before I order this on Amazon (because my library did not have it) I have a question.

How good are the diagrams in this book?

I've read a lot of write-ups about pruning on the internet, and one thing almost all of them have in common is that the pictures are poo poo and it's not often clear what they're trying to convey. Like in this image:

... where the middle and right figures are supposed to show a branch that's too thin for pruning and one that's the right thickness, respectively, but they both look pretty much exactly the same size. Or this image:

... that's supposed to show a before and after of a properly-pruned shrub but they both look almost the same. Like yeah I guess the bottom bush is kinda thinned out if you squint, but you really couldn't have drawn it a little more different than that?

Does the Pirones book have a lot of this kind of poo poo going on, or are the diagrams easier to understand? Or are lovely diagrams just something I have to live with everywhere?
I got it from the library a decade ago and learned a lot from it. I can’t remember anything about the diagrams. Those diagrams seem clear enough to me-if you can’t figure out the basic messages they are trying to tell you, pruning may not be for you. Your local (really any) county extension service probably has multiple free publications about pruning and tree maintenance.