Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

OddObserver posted:

Very much :nms: --- condition of one of the recently exchanged Ukrainian POWs:

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1573346176396664833

christ, i wouldn't be surprised if the men who surrended at avostal were generally given extra "attention", but this is terrible to see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I hope all those Azovstal defenders get sent to a nice resort in Antalya to rest and recuperate in total luxury. They deserve it.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

TVs Ian posted:

Seriously, does Russia have any kind of history of their officers getting fragged? Because this seems like a really good way to encourage that.
Oh, just a couple kerfuffles in the early twentieth century.

Private Witt
Feb 21, 2019
Does anyone have insights or expertise on a timeline for Russian annexation of the new federal subjects once the "referendums" are completed? Looks like Crimea had their "referendum" on Sunday, and were annexed on Friday, 5 days later.

I'm also curious to know how they're going to determine the borders. Will they indeed annex areas that are under Ukranian control when they annex it? Seems untenable, even for those nutcases.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1573527414541586440?s=20&t=GNwkLJRkO3J_eqF3ixE_vQ

Not sure if this had been posted but the Kherson part I hadn't heard.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
https://mobile.twitter.com/RALee85/status/1573521982691414018

I wonder if there are any previous examples of a leader doing this that Putin could have studied

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Private Witt posted:

Does anyone have insights or expertise on a timeline for Russian annexation of the new federal subjects once the "referendums" are completed? Looks like Crimea had their "referendum" on Sunday, and were annexed on Friday, 5 days later.

I'm also curious to know how they're going to determine the borders. Will they indeed annex areas that are under Ukranian control when they annex it? Seems untenable, even for those nutcases.

All of that stuff matters only to Russia. To everyone else in the world, they're still occupied Ukrainian oblasts, and nothing is going to change that. Whatever Russia wants to call them makes no difference. Ukraine will plan and fight the same way before and after.

Russia can set the borders any way they want, as they will then be ignored as Ukraine retakes the land.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Next we’ll find out that Putin is promoting the generals responsible for the defense of Kherson to field marshal.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Private Witt posted:

It will happen extremely quickly, as you don't need to put anything in place when your annexations are entirely imaginary. I expect by Wednesday we'll have had another address from Putin where he sternly tells us that these areas are now Russian territory and he will use "all available weapons" to defend them.

I expect the borders will just be the oblast borders from whatever map he has hanging around. Drawing new borders is both hard work and an admission that you aren't on a permanent winning streak, so he'll decide he's annexed the whole lot, declare the Ukrainian held parts as occupied territory and demand immediate withdrawal back to the "new Ukrainian border" on pain of nuclear consequences.

This will, of course, be ignored.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

We should look at the USSR road atlas to figure out the borders they're gonna claim because that's what they seem to be using in battle also.

https://twitter.com/uarealitynow/status/1570754173117034497

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

It will happen extremely quickly, as you don't need to put anything in place when your annexations are entirely imaginary. I expect by Wednesday we'll have had another address from Putin where he sternly tells us that these areas are now Russian territory and he will use "all available weapons" to defend them.

I expect the borders will just be the oblast borders from whatever map he has hanging around. Drawing new borders is both hard work and an admission that you aren't on a permanent winning streak, so he'll decide he's annexed the whole lot, declare the Ukrainian held parts as occupied territory and demand immediate withdrawal back to the "new Ukrainian border" on pain of nuclear consequences.

This will, of course, be ignored.

Ukraine has literally already strike inside of Russia itself and Crimea

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Is there any info on the age make-up of the draft avoiders at the borders? Is it mainly young folks, who are somewhat likely to actually be opposed to the war, or are there a lot of boomers, who would happily see Ukraine burn, as long as it's not them doing the burning?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Like how hard is it to print out updated maps for your soldiers. Like I do not understand why even the simple poo poo is not happening.

I mean I'm glad, but jfc

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

cr0y posted:

Like how hard is it to print out updated maps for your soldiers. Like I do not understand why even the simple poo poo is not happening.

I mean I'm glad, but jfc

The short answer is nitsevoo. The slightly longer answer is that no one cares, and anyone who even slightly cared got that beat out of them, either physically or mentally, by the sociodynamics of the Russian military. It's just grift and corruption all the way.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

spankmeister posted:

We should look at the USSR road atlas to figure out the borders they're gonna claim because that's what they seem to be using in battle also.

https://twitter.com/uarealitynow/status/1570754173117034497
The USSR produced the best maps for military planners because if you are invading a country you have to rely on accurate maps. Unfortunately if you were a civilian in the USSR they released deliberately lovely maps of their own territory for exactly the same reason.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Budzilla posted:

The USSR produced the best maps for military planners because if you are invading a country you have to rely on accurate maps. Unfortunately if you were a civilian in the USSR they released deliberately lovely maps of their own territory for exactly the same reason.

Yep, public maps included fake cities and omitted secret towns just to confuse spies. And I doubt that the Automobilist's Road Atlas is of the highest quality, let alone shows you all the roads of Ukraine in 2022.

https://www.nytimes.com/1988/09/03/world/soviet-aide-admits-maps-were-faked-for-50-years.html

NYT in 1988 posted:

The Soviet Union's chief cartographer acknowledged today that for the last 50 years the Soviet Union had deliberately falsified virtually all public maps of the country, misplacing rivers and streets, distorting boundaries and omitting geographical features, on orders of the secret police.

In an interview published tonight in the Government newspaper Izvestia, the chief map maker, Viktor R. Yashchenko, said the authorities had agreed to begin releasing accurate maps that have been classified as state secrets since the time of Stalin. Western experts said the maps apparently were distorted out of fear of aerial bombing or foreign intelligence operations.

''We received numerous complaints,'' said Mr. Yashchenko, chief of the principal mapping agency, the Geodesy and Cartography Administration of the Council of Ministers. ''People did not recognize their motherland on maps. Tourists tried in vain to orient themselves on the terrain.''

As one example, American diplomats and correspondents based in Moscow find that the most reliable street map of Moscow is produced in the United States, by the Central Intelligence Agency.

American and British cartographers, long aware of the falsification of key features on Soviet maps, rejoiced today at the prospect that they might get a more accurate picture of Soviet geography. [ Page 4. ] Mr. Yashchenko said the willingness to put out reliable maps reflected the policy of Mikhail S. Gorbachev, the Soviet leader, calling for greater openness and a relaxation of what Mr. Yash-chenko called ''mistrust and spy mania.''

The falsification of Soviet maps, Mr. Yashchenko told Izvestia, began in the late 1930's when the map-making administration was put under control of the security police, then known as the N.K.V.D.

''Even in the post-Stalin time the distortion of generally available maps continued as a requirement of the work of our administration,'' he said. ''This work became senseless with the appearance of space photography,'' which meant foreign countries could make their own extremely accurate maps from satellite data. ''But nevertheless it continued until this year,'' he said.

''The correct maps were classified, practically without exception,'' Mr. Yashchenko added.

Even public maps of very imprecise scale, he said, such as 40 miles to the inch, were distorted. On more detailed maps, he said, ''almost everything was changed.''

''Roads and rivers were moved,'' he said. ''City districts were tilted. Streets and houses were incorrectly indicated. For example, on the tourist map of Moscow, only the contours of the capital are accurate.''

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
The UN's Independent International Commission of Inquiry on Ukraine has released its first report on war crimes committed in Ukraine after interviewing about 150 victims and witnesses and visiting a number of settlements.

https://news.un.org/en/story/2022/09/1127691 posted:

Much of the Commission’s work focused on investigations in the regions of Kyiv, Chernihiv, Kharkiv, and Sumy, where allegations of the most serious rights violations were made against Russian, or Russian-backed forces, early in the war.

Thorough investigation
Commission chairperson Erik Møse said that investigators visited 27 towns and settlements and interviewed more than 150 victims and witnesses. They also inspected “sites of destruction, graves, places of detention and torture”, as well as remnants of weapons.
Based on the evidence gathered so far during the Commission’s existence, we found out after having carried out the investigations in these four areas just mentioned, we found that war crimes have been committed in Ukraine,” he told journalists in Geneva.
That conclusion is in line with findings published earlier this year by the UN Human Rights Monitoring Mission in Ukraine (HRMMU).
It documented unlawful killings - including summary executions of civilians - in more than 30 settlements in Kyiv, Chernihiv, Kharkiv and Sumy regions, by Russian armed forces while they controlled these areas in late February and March.

Brutal executions
Other key findings from the report include the surprisingly “large number of executions” in 16 towns and settlements, where “common elements” of the crimes included “visible signs of executions on bodies, such as hands tied behind backs, gunshot wounds to the head, and slit throats”.
The report, delivered to the Human Rights Council earlier on Friday, also documented how explosive weapons had been used by the Russian Federation forces, “without distinguishing between civilians and combatants in populated areas”.
“We were struck by a large number of executions and other violations by Russian forces, and the Commission received consistent accounts of torture and ill-treatment.”

Sexual violence, including against children
Horrific allegations of sexual violence against Ukrainian communities - including children - were also found to be based in fact.
“The Commission investigated cases of sexual gender-based violence. It documented cases in which some Russian Federation soldiers made such crime,” said Commissioner Jasminka Džumhur.
Ukrainian forces were also responsible for human rights violations, said Commissioner Pablo de Greiff: “We have found two instances of ill-treatment of Russian Federation soldiers by Ukrainian soldiers, and we mentioned this in our statement. We have found obviously significantly larger numbers of instances that amount to war crimes on the part of the Russian Federation.”

Emphasis the United Nations.

Prior to this Russian soldiers have recorded and published videos of themselves committing rape, castrating a POW, using a skull as a party prop and an impaled head on a pole. I think it's notable when people broadcast their crimes as it suggests there is no shame associated with it or fear of punishment for perpetrating it and informs us of their attitude to their victims. One may argue it's merely a series of unfortunate events but to me it has felt like the tip of the iceberg. Imagine what they are not showing us. Perhaps an inevitable result of 8 years of dehumanizing efforts on part of the Russian state.

Propaganda flows in both directions from many sources but the UN report is the closest thing we come to a serious and unbiased investigation. We'll know more in the coming years but I think it's clear that any realist notion of surrender is an absurd idea from the perspective of the Ukrainians. War is a show of horrors but if the alternative is living under the care and protection of Russian occupation forces then there is no real choice.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

OddObserver posted:

The headline scarequotes the wrong word.
They continuously use Russian terminology no matter how far from reality it is.
(The article continues in the same manner).

Quoting a single word is also used to *emphasize* that the word came from the speaking party. It is super commonly used like that in British English, somewhat less in American. Them saying a "sham” election in the headline is not just a substitute for saying "so-called scam election". It’s saying that even NATO is flat out directly calling it a "sham" election and they’re not mincing words.

Like here for the BBC, which uses single word quotes constantly: https://www.reddit.com/r/answers/comments/50fjqq/what_is_the_logic_behind_the_bbc_websites_use_of/

I find them "incredibly annoying" and hard to interpret the author’s intent since the quotes are used "basically randomly" and interchangeably to both emphasize a word’s importance and to diminish a word’s importance a la prefacing with "so-called", but anyway headline quotes in English aren’t always scare quotes.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

cr0y posted:

I mean I'm glad, but jfc

I believe Russia literally ran out of paper as early as March. If it's available it's probably scarce and likely to be part of embezzlement schemes from government officials. My guess it it's not being "wasted" on things that will help the special operation.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1573584735544246273

I don't know anything about guns but this seems sub optimal. This is claiming to be some equipment for mobilized right?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Bashez posted:

I don't know anything about guns but this seems sub optimal. This is claiming to be some equipment for mobilized right?

People can probably tell from the accents of the people speaking but it wouldn't surprise me if it's just hosed up equipment found somewhere recently liberated in Ukraine rather than videos from Russian mobilised troops

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

gay picnic defence posted:

People can probably tell from the accents of the people speaking but it wouldn't surprise me if it's just hosed up equipment found somewhere recently liberated in Ukraine rather than videos from Russian mobilised troops

they're wearing russian uniforms

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

Even if it is, if Russia has to find 300,000 aks some of them being in a bad condition isn't too shocking. It would have to be happening more than in this one video for it to matter.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1573586461613588481

No, its equipment given to conscripts

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
There's currently a shitload of videos coming out of basically every base that mobilizing troops are being sent to.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
This struck me as an amazing contrast. Seems to me Kadyrov is leveraging the situation to poo poo on a key part of Putin's base to heighten his own public profile?

https://twitter.com/DionisCenusa/status/1573298976698535937?s=20&t=IzQE7DSybOzVgO9r8aBeGA
VS
https://twitter.com/leonidragozin/status/1573577213282222080?s=20&t=vABqzPbgxUVseQTKaXQp2w

mlmp08 posted:

Pentagon Press Secretary gave a televised brief, video in link. I'm really only including what has to do with Ukraine in general, so if you want those details, click the link.

Yo mlmp08. Just wanted to say I really appreciate you doing these breakdowns.

Btw, they sent this poor sap back home after public pressure mounted:
https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1573583666701340679?s=20&t=-21x1nz7ZedSayd6sUBLTA

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Sep 24, 2022

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Are those weapons just meant for their two week "training" or do they get deployed to their units with them, i could see training guns being that janky but taking that to the front is scary. :derp:

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Much as I'd like to point to Russia and laugh, those lovely rusted guns are probably for training. I remember the Ukrainian militia trained with wooden guns earlier this year too.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Western Response: More sanctions, isolation if Putin carries out thinly veiled threats

How serious does this sound compared to the initial escalations we saw in feburary when Kiev was invaded?

quote:

How do American leaders and their allies intend to respond if President Vladimir Putin seeks to escalate his way out of a bad situation on Ukraine’s battlefields, and makes good on renewed threats of annexing territory or even using nuclear weapons? At least to start with, by trying to double down on the same tactics that have helped put Russia in a corner in Ukraine, U.S. and European leaders have made clear: more financial penalties and international isolation for Russia, more arms and other backing for Ukraine.

That won’t necessarily be easy. It’s been tough enough staying the current course of persuading all of dozens of allies to stick with sanctions and isolation for Putin, and persuading more ambivalent countries to join in. Global financial and energy disruptions from Russia’s war in Ukraine already promise to make the coming winter a tough one for countries that have depended on Russia for their energy needs.

And there’s no sign of U.S. or NATO officials matching Putin’s renewed nuclear threats with the same nuclear bluster...Even if Putin should act on his nuclear threat, President Joe Biden and others point, without details, to an ascending scale of carefully calibrated responses, based on how far Russia goes. To start with, “they’ll become more of a pariah in the world than they ever have been,” Biden told CBS’ “60 Minutes” just ahead of Putin’s new wartime measures and renewed nuclear threat.

“What they do will determine what response would occur,” Biden said on the nuclear side, adding that the U.S. responses in that case would be “consequential.” “I do not believe the United States would take an escalatory step” in the event of a one-off, limited nuclear detonation by Russia aimed at trying to scare Ukraine and its supporters off, said Rose Gottemoeller, former deputy NATO secretary-general and former U.S. undersecretary of state for arms control. “Certainly, it would not respond with nuclear weapons.”

It’s difficult to fathom Putin launching any central strategic nuclear strike at the United States or its NATO allies, which would be “to commit suicide,” said Gottemoeller, the former deputy NATO secretary-general. Gottemoeller describes instead a scenario of Putin carrying out a single demonstration strike over the Black Sea or against a Ukrainian military target, in hopes of spiking pressure on Ukraine’s Western-allied government to capitulate.

Internationally, “There would be a very firm response that ... would amount to, again redoubling efforts to help the Ukrainians,” and “also in terms of huge condemnation in the international community,” she said. That condemnation would be sure to draw in countries that so far have declined to break with Russia or stop doing business with it, including China, India and countries of the global south, she said. For Putin, actual nuclear use would give up all the benefits of simply threatening it, and pile on untold risks for Putin after that, said Lawrence Freedman, emeritus professor of war studies at King’s College London.

“So I think we can we can scare ourselves quite easily by the by the rhetoric he uses. But I think it’s best to recognize he does have a purpose, which is working, to stop the West intervening directly,” he said. “To start using nuclear weapons against the West, you have to expect” at least the risk of “nuclear weapons coming back in your direction.”

note: this is an op/ed by Ellen Knickmeyer. Please remove if this infringes upon thread rules.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

James Garfield posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RALee85/status/1573521982691414018

I wonder if there are any previous examples of a leader doing this that Putin could have studied

Looking at Hitler and Stalin some of their decrees were correct in the time or even correct with the hindsight. It's especially visible with Hitler up to ~1944, when only after the WW2 all the German commanders tripped over each other to dump every possible failure at Hitler's interference. Only way later historians started to show their BS.
So it might go one of two ways: Putin will make sure all of armed forces have the same clear objectives, and will get all the available support to achieve them.
Or he'll add a layer of confusion, kill all the initiative left in the army and add delay to critical decisions. And since he's surprisingly averse in taking personal blame for failures I'm betting on option 2.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

Bashez posted:

How does this even happen? You put a gun in cosmoline and it should be just fine?

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Dreissi posted:

How does this even happen? You put a gun in cosmoline and it should be just fine?

Going to assume that cosmoline can get skimmed for profits just like scrap metal. "For training only" isn't much of a reassurance, since this implies that their storage logistics is so bad that even corrupt officers couldn't do basic storage for something that could easily be sold to arms dealers.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Dreissi posted:

The money allocated for it was spent on a mega yacht instead

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Just Another Lurker posted:

Are those weapons just meant for their two week "training" or do they get deployed to their units with them, i could see training guns being that janky but taking that to the front is scary. :derp:

I don't know. You would think they're training weapons because storing small arms isn't nearly as hard as vehicles. Just dunk them in cosmoline and they're good for basically forever. But given Russia's track record so far, who knows?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Grouchio posted:

The Western Response: More sanctions, isolation if Putin carries out thinly veiled threats

How serious does this sound compared to the initial escalations we saw in feburary when Kiev was invaded?

note: this is an op/ed by Ellen Knickmeyer. Please remove if this infringes upon thread rules.

Seems about the same. I remember Putin threatening nukes if the west intervened in his war, and someone high up in the EU or NATO stated that fallout from a nuclear strike blowing into a EU/NATO country would be considered an attack on their territory. Nuke threats dropped off pretty quick after that.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Det_no posted:

Much as I'd like to point to Russia and laugh, those lovely rusted guns are probably for training. I remember the Ukrainian militia trained with wooden guns earlier this year too.

The Germans were training with wooden guns not that long ago, because a certain unpopular and widely-considered-serially-incompetent defence minister at the time totally gutted military spending. You'd be surprised how many countries totally neglect their militaries during peacetime. One of the very very small number of things Trump had a point about.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

PerilPastry posted:

This struck me as an amazing contrast. Seems to me Kadyrov is leveraging the situation to poo poo on a key part of Putin's base to heighten his own public profile?

https://twitter.com/DionisCenusa/status/1573298976698535937?s=20&t=IzQE7DSybOzVgO9r8aBeGA
VS
https://twitter.com/leonidragozin/status/1573577213282222080?s=20&t=vABqzPbgxUVseQTKaXQp2w

kadyrov is not unambitious and he's probably reading the writing on the wall of public opinion wrt mobilization.. In particular he seems to be throwing his lot in with the military-nationalists more and more lately, though that's not an entirely new development as he's been echoing them increasingly ever since the Kiev axis collapsed. Now that Putin has effectively been handed 2 catastrophic defeats in Ukraine (arguably 3 insofar as Putin's commanders wanted to withdraw from Kherson but he insisted that they stay and fight in that hosed up situation) he's more aware than literally anyone that Putin is both fallible and also pretty poo poo at anything military. If Putin was good at running military operations he wouldn't have spent the last 20 years financing Kadyrov's state in exchange for peace.

Still, it is decidedly peculiar.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Big K probably reckons he has a chance to come out of this better, with a real job in the centre not just some dude from the periphery. He’s probably right, so long as he doesn’t get too ambitious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Beefeater1980 posted:

Big K probably reckons he has a chance to come out of this better, with a real job in the centre not just some dude from the periphery. He’s probably right, so long as he doesn’t get too ambitious.

Minister of Defence under President Shoigu?